A Double Dose Of Vibes Needed

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

A Double Dose Of Vibes Needed

Post by colchar » June 21st, 2010, 1:52 pm

We all know that vibes from this, our little corner of cyberspace, work and I need a double dose of them this week so here I am reaching out.

First of all, one of my oldest friends passed away Thursday. He had been sick for quite a while due to complications from diabetes but his death was still sudden and unexpected. He had gone nearly blind from the diabetes and was also having massive kidney problems. He went in for his dialysis last Wednesday but they had to stop after an hour because his blood pressure had dropped so much (apparently, this can be fairly common during the procedure). They said they were going to keep him in overnight for observation but, in typical fashion, he said “Fuck that, I’m outa here.” His wife drove him home and, as they pulled into the driveway, he collapsed in the car. He was rushed back into hospital and was kept in overnight for observation. Thursday they did some tests and discovered fluid around his heart. They decided to drain it and he told the doctor to go ahead and do whatever had to be done. Apparently, the doctor turned around to prepare for the procedure and that was it, by the time the doctor turned around again a minute or so later, he was gone. They couldn’t restart his heart so he died at forty-one years old.

He and I used to be really close but had drifted apart over the past few years, mainly because I was living in another town about an hour away from here. I visited him once or twice on trips back here to see my parents but hadn’t visited in a while basically because I was too lazy and always figured I could drop by the next time I was in town. Well now there are no more next times. I spoke to his brother, who used to be my best friend, yesterday and the family is, understandably, gutted. I haven’t seen his brother in over a decade because we had a falling out years ago (absolutely no fault of mine as I was on the side of the angels in that little scenario) but I offered to take him out for drinks today or tomorrow just so that he could get away from the family for an hour or two. That might be an uncomfortable outing but whatever, he used to be my best friend so it is the right thing to do. The funeral is this Thursday and that is going to be a rather shitty day.

So, for all of that I need some vibes. But I need another dose as well if you don’t mind.

I’ve pretty much decided to jack in the PhD because I simply do not have any interest in it any more so I am looking for a job. I’m hoping to stay in academia so I’ve applied to a few positions at local colleges and universities. I got a call from one of them earlier today to set up an interview for what I think might be an interesting position. It is only part-time at the moment but, as much as I would prefer a full-time position, I will happily accept something part-time as I see it as a foot in the door and an opportunity to thoroughly impress them and to translate the part-time position into a full-time one. So on top of the vibes mentioned above, I need another dose for good luck on this interview.

Thanks everyone, and my apologies for unloading so much in the first couple of paragraphs in this post.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: A Double Dose Of Vibes Needed

Post by DukieInKansas » June 21st, 2010, 2:01 pm

That's why we are here.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. You are doing the right thing in taking his brother out. Shared memories will help you both in dealing with your loss and the falling out you had. Death is never easy but it is especially hard when the person is so young.

Good luck with the job interview. I hope the part time job will give you a little perspective and lead to either going back to complete your PhD or an even better full time job.

:ymhug: :ymhug: from Kansas - along with prayers and vibes to help you through. :wizard: :wizard:
Life is good!
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » June 21st, 2010, 3:02 pm

This is so very sad. All the vibes and prayers this corner of the world can muster up to you Colchar. Please just call, PM or post often if you need anything at all.....even if it's just a voice.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 21st, 2010, 3:18 pm

Colchar, so sorry about the loss of your friend. Vibes and prayers, and hugs, for you through this difficult time. You are definitely on the side of the angels, offering to take his brother out to decompress. If you need us, we're as close as your keyboard. :pray: :wizard: :ymhug:

Vibes and prayers also on the job interview. If you can get your foot in the door, that's the thing to do.
Iron Duke #1471997.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 21st, 2010, 5:32 pm

Colchar, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Vibes and prayers to you and his family as you cope with your loss. As others have said, you are doing a wonderful thing taking out your former best friend to help him cope.

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Vibes and prayers for a successful interview that leads to a job.

Go, Colchar.
Go, Colchar.

:happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:
I worship the Blue Devil!
Miles

Post by Miles » June 21st, 2010, 5:40 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Double dose of vibes on the way.
sMiles
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 21st, 2010, 5:48 pm

Sorry for your loss, Colchar.

Double vibes for the job. }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » June 21st, 2010, 6:06 pm

Just plugged in the vibe machine,cranked it up to full speed and pointed the nozzle your way. Take a firm stance 'cause when they hit, they're powerful! They could knock your shorts off! :D

It's all gonna be okay.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 21st, 2010, 6:07 pm

1. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
2. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » June 21st, 2010, 6:10 pm

wow, that's something else.... times two!
major sympathies and Vibes coming your way!
DukePA

Post by DukePA » June 21st, 2010, 6:53 pm

Double dose to the 10th coming at you and, what they all said above. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 21st, 2010, 7:21 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss, Colchar.

Vibes, hugs and prayers coming your way. . .
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 21st, 2010, 8:31 pm

You have my condolences. This is the same condition that took my Dad away from us. Congestive heart failure.

Good luck and vibes from here for what happens next on your career front.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » June 21st, 2010, 11:09 pm

Thanks everyone. It has been a rough few days but being able to talk about things with the amazing group of friends here makes it that much easier to handle. Thanks again.
Last edited by colchar on June 21st, 2010, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » June 21st, 2010, 11:21 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Go, Colchar.
Go, Colchar.

:happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:
I just noticed those smileys and they gave me a much needed laugh. Thanks.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 21st, 2010, 11:59 pm

colchar wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Go, Colchar.
Go, Colchar.

Tilly is the best cheerleader on the planet. No offense to daughter of DD, of course.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » June 22nd, 2010, 5:29 am

I am so sorry for your loss. Many vibes, prayers and good thoughts headed your way.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 22nd, 2010, 7:46 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
colchar wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Go, Colchar.
Go, Colchar.

Tilly is the best cheerleader on the planet. No offense to daughter of DD, of course.
Colchar, glad you got a laugh. I know you needed it.

CBB, you're so sweet. I can't wait for football season to share my cheerleading skills with all a ya'll.
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 22nd, 2010, 8:44 am

Sending loads of vibes, colchar. I'm sorry for your loss. Also sending job interview vibes. :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » June 22nd, 2010, 11:59 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
colchar wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Go, Colchar.
Go, Colchar.

We can vouch for that around our house fer sher! Bless her heart!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe