Who likes "lemur monkeys"? We ALL do!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Who likes "lemur monkeys"? We ALL do!

Post by windsor » May 21st, 2009, 9:08 am

Lavabe wrote:bjornolf: Oh brother... Cheirogaleus medius is a very tiny primate.
(very cool info from Lavabe)
My opinions are based on reading the scientific paper, NOT the p-r mish-mash.
Sorry for being too scientific. :ugeek: :ugeek:
Cheers,
Lavabe

Not too scientific for this geek!! :-B

Excellent stuff. Excellent. I am inspired to do reading/research. I needed a science fix.

Thanks!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 21st, 2009, 9:13 am

bjornolf wrote:.... I used to spend hours upon hours hanging out at the ... Tar Pits ... just staring at ... ???? .... as a kid. %%-
Ya know, staring at something too long is not good for your health, not to mention that tar fumes aren't either!!! :D

I too enjoyed the read posted by Lavabe as a scientist and engineer! :-bd
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 21st, 2009, 10:10 am

bjornolf wrote:
Lavabe wrote:bjornolf: Oh brother... Cheirogaleus medius is a very tiny primate.
It..was...a...joke...dude. Calm down. Sheesh! I obviously need to trade in my old, broken down sense of humor for a newer one, since nobody gets my weak attempts at humor. I could have sworn there was a ;) in there somewhere.

As for the rest of your post, I loved it. Don't worry about being overly scientific, at least for me. I can't speak for anybody else, but I thought it was fascinating. But, then again, I used to spend hours upon hours hanging out at the La Brea Tar Pits and the Smithsonian Natural History Museum just staring at the fossils. I TOTALLY wanted to be a paleontologist as a kid.

%%-
Sorry for the misunderstanding, bjornolf. Keep in mind that I had been answering a lot of emails about it yesterday. I was still in professorial mode, and unable to recognize the humor. More specifically, I forgot to use a smilie (professors don't use smilies). I probably would have used one of the following after my comment:
:roll: :-? =p~ :(|) x_x :-B

Nah... I'd have used them all. :D

Technical note for bunchofnumbers... I am not an engineer, but I think I DID get a B in EE 157. :ymblushing:

Just for CathyCA, to be clear, I've posted below one of my copyrighted photos of the lesser fat-tailed dwarf lemur. That's a full-grown adult, and in the background are sweetgum leaves. That's a photo from back in my undergrad days. I've also seen them in the wild.
Attachments
Cheirogaleus_medius_01_BZFsm.jpg
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 21st, 2009, 10:13 am

Lavabe wrote:Sorry for the misunderstanding, bjornolf. Keep in mind that I had been answering a lot of emails about it yesterday. I was still in professorial mode, and unable to recognize the humor. More specifically, I forgot to use a smilie (professors don't use smilies). I probably would have used one of the following after my comment:
No biggie.
Lavabe wrote:Technical note for bunchofnumbers... I am not an engineer, but I think I DID get a B in EE 157. :ymblushing:
I could have SWORN that sentence was going to end with "but I DID stay at a holiday inn express last night"! ;) And WHY IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT'S HOLY O:-) would you bother taking any course starting with "EE" if you weren't trying to become an engineer? That's just insane. :-o I mean, I took it and did fine, but I didn't even want to be there, and it was my major!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 21st, 2009, 10:24 am

Lavabe wrote:
Technical note for bunchofnumbers...
I note that now clbunchofnumbers has a nickname! Just plain ol' bunchofnumbers! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 21st, 2009, 10:26 am

windsor wrote:
(very cool info from Lavabe)
My opinions are based on reading the scientific paper, NOT the p-r mish-mash.
Sorry for being too scientific. :ugeek: :ugeek:
Cheers,
Lavabe

Not too scientific for this geek!! :-B

Excellent stuff. Excellent. I am inspired to do reading/research. I needed a science fix.

Thanks!
Thanks. My own bias here is that I like to let things sit and discussed a bit in the scientific literature BEFORE proclaiming it as the blockbuster find. There's been a tendency lately for a lot of p-r hyperbole with each specimen. I've seen it for "the Hobbitt" find, the Dikika baby (a couple of years ago near the Lucy find), and at least ten others, all in the last 10 years.

On the other hand, I certainly see why the p-r is needed, and I am very glad that the NYC mayor was there at the AMNH (American Museum of Natural History). What I really hope a fossil like this does is have a few more kids become inspired to investigate paleontology. Already, it has done a very important thing ... it has gotten people to discuss paleontology. And I believe that's a good thing.

I personally hope there are a number of kids out there who read about this and get a science fix. :!:
Cheers,
Lavabe

ETA: bjornolf: I needed EE157/CPS157 for my computer science major. It was a core course for the CPS major.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 21st, 2009, 10:29 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
I note that now clbunchofnumbers has a nickname! Just plain ol' bunchofnumbers! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

I'm lazy - hence forth he will be cl#s

:D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 21st, 2009, 10:31 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Is there another bunchofnumbers here on CrazieTalk? ;)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 21st, 2009, 10:32 am

Lavabe wrote:...Keep in mind that I had been answering a lot of emails about it yesterday. I was still in professorial mode, and unable to recognize the humor. More specifically, I forgot to use a smilie (professors don't use smilies). I probably would have used one of the following after my comment:

Nah... I'd have used them all. :D ...
How much will y'all give me if I sneak a smiley into my dissertation?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 21st, 2009, 10:35 am

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:...Keep in mind that I had been answering a lot of emails about it yesterday. I was still in professorial mode, and unable to recognize the humor. More specifically, I forgot to use a smilie (professors don't use smilies). I probably would have used one of the following after my comment:

Nah... I'd have used them all. :D ...
How much will y'all give me if I sneak a smiley into my dissertation?
Not much, unless it's this one: :ar!

I assume that you've already used "walk the plank" or "Aaaargh!" ;)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 21st, 2009, 10:43 am

Lavabe wrote: How much will y'all give me if I sneak a smiley into my dissertation?

Well, somehow I don't think html code will really be available for my dissertation, so the above won't really work.

Side note that you'll all appreciate: unc Press is pretty renowned for its colonial/early American history publications, so I read tons of books from there. I've written "Chapel Hell, NC: University of North Carolina Press" in at least one footnote in every paper I've written since I started graduate school. Only one professor has ever caught it (or at least, he's the only one who ever said anything about it).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 21st, 2009, 10:45 am

windsor wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

I'm lazy - hence forth he will be cl#s

:D
:)) :)) :)) :)) :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 21st, 2009, 10:46 am

Lavabe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Yes, you and all your posts.

:D :roll: :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » May 21st, 2009, 10:54 am

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Is there another bunchofnumbers here on CrazieTalk? ;)

Apparently, steven bunchofnumbers never migrated over here, so the only true bunchofnumbers is...
bunchofnumbers. :ymparty: :ymparty:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 21st, 2009, 10:56 am

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote: How much will y'all give me if I sneak a smiley into my dissertation?

Well, somehow I don't think html code will really be available for my dissertation, so the above won't really work.

Side note that you'll all appreciate: unc Press is pretty renowned for its colonial/early American history publications, so I read tons of books from there. I've written "Chapel Hell, NC: University of North Carolina Press" in at least one footnote in every paper I've written since I started graduate school. Only one professor has ever caught it (or at least, he's the only one who ever said anything about it).
You could take a screen shot, crop the image in photoshop, then paste it in with Word. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 21st, 2009, 11:14 am

wilson wrote:

Outstanding!!!
:)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd
I worship the Blue Devil!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 21st, 2009, 11:25 am

Just for CathyCA, to be clear, I've posted below one of my copyrighted photos of the lesser fat-tailed dwarf lemur. That's a full-grown adult, and in the background are sweetgum leaves. That's a photo from back in my undergrad days. I've also seen them in the wild.Attachments
Look at how big her tail is in proportion to the rest of her body. That's why I'm saying I'm a fat-tailed lemur. Well, that and the nocturnal activity.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 21st, 2009, 11:28 am

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I note that now clbunchofnumbers has a nickname! Just plain ol' bunchofnumbers! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) You have a way with words and are soo creative! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 21st, 2009, 2:05 pm

wilson wrote:

Just another reason to want Wilson!!! The good qualities keep piling up. :x :-bd ^:)^ :ar!
Life is good!
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » May 22nd, 2009, 12:09 am

wilson wrote: I've written "Chapel Hell, NC: University of North Carolina Press" in at least one footnote in every paper I've written since I started graduate school.
You are my historian hero. :ymblushing: