Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by bluebeer » May 25th, 2010, 8:48 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Racer 5-Bear Republic-Healdsburg, California

New brew to me. I have seen several flavors around from this brewery but never sampled one until a drug rep gave me a bottle a couple weeks ago and I enjoyed the bomber over the last couple nights. Solid IPA with a slightly golden-yellow color with a nice, foamy head. Grapefruit aroma and hops all the way with Chinook, Cascade, Columbia and 0ne other variety I can't recall. Even Mrs. DD detected the pungent citrus aroma with a couple sniffs and she didn't even guess nutmeg or cinnamon as she usually does /:) . I'd round up the usually spicy grilled chicken or fish suspects or even curry with this brew. Hefty IBU at 75+ (from the web site) and a fairly standard 7% ABV. I'd certainly try some other brews from these folks if offered or I see some over the summer.
On my San Fran trip I noticed this was everywhere...so I never bought it. Go figure,...I've seen in total wine and other stores since, good to hear that it's worth it. I'll be checking it out again on my Vegas trip.
Definitely check out Hop Rod Rye by them..it's a rye IPA..very good...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 25th, 2010, 10:48 pm

I'm gonna have one of these sometime:

Big Dick's Olde Ale
8.2% ABV • 36 IBUs • Limited Release • Available November • 12/22oz bottles Or 1/6 bbl

Somewhat of a cousin to Barleywine, Big Dick's is a classic English-style Olde Ale. Sweet and full-bodied malt flavors are complemented by a fragrant but mild hop bitterness. Sweet, bready malt aromas combine with rich flavors of dark fruit, brown sugar, caramel, and sweet nuts. A beer for keeping, Big Dick's Olde Ale will age gracefully, while fruity flavors continue to develop and bitterness will subside.

This is not only a BIG beer, it is a Well-Endowed Ale! We took a traditional English-style Ale and made it our own. Delightful on its own or as a digestif with a full-bodied cigar, Big Dick's is also big enough to stand up to many boldly-flavored foods.
Recommended Foods: Extra Sharp Cheddar, Braised Buffalo Ribs, Foie Gras, Crème Brûlée

I :)) and =)) at this part: This is not only a BIG beer, it is a Well-Endowed Ale!

:)) :)) =)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 25th, 2010, 10:53 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I was sure this had been reviewed, but after a search it seems it's only been mentioned. Arcadia Cereal Killer, a really great barley wine without the the extreme ABV of some I've had lately. (CK checks in at just under 10%). Pours really cloudy, super fruity, tons of flavor. Lots of malts are the flavor source here, low hoppage. Really sweet, they could have called it "Sugared Cereal Killer" The lower ABV I think makes it even more enjoyable, because the alcohol tones don't knock you back as much, and this is pretty low for bitterness; those two qualities really let this ale dance on your tongue. This a fun brew, highly recommended. Thanks much to DD for picking me up a bomber while passing through Kin Tucky. (While it's lower ABV is nice, it's still a sipper!)
Ahh...just took another sip..really really good.
By the way..anyone remember the band "Green Jello"? They had to change their name due to some never known band of the same name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cereal_Killer
Not much to add to this review except I think it is sweet and syrupy enough that it would be very tasty on some French Toast or pancakes...

:)) =))

ABV is 9.1% and IBU are 45, a bit lower than expected. This stuff really does taste like a liquid caramel topping. Quite a palate pleaser and lip smacker.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 26th, 2010, 9:22 am

devildeac wrote:I'm gonna have one of these sometime:

Big Dick's Olde Ale
8.2% ABV • 36 IBUs • Limited Release • Available November • 12/22oz bottles Or 1/6 bbl

Somewhat of a cousin to Barleywine, Big Dick's is a classic English-style Olde Ale. Sweet and full-bodied malt flavors are complemented by a fragrant but mild hop bitterness. Sweet, bready malt aromas combine with rich flavors of dark fruit, brown sugar, caramel, and sweet nuts. A beer for keeping, Big Dick's Olde Ale will age gracefully, while fruity flavors continue to develop and bitterness will subside.

This is not only a BIG beer, it is a Well-Endowed Ale! We took a traditional English-style Ale and made it our own. Delightful on its own or as a digestif with a full-bodied cigar, Big Dick's is also big enough to stand up to many boldly-flavored foods.
Recommended Foods: Extra Sharp Cheddar, Braised Buffalo Ribs, Foie Gras, Crème Brûlée

I :)) and =)) at this part: This is not only a BIG beer, it is a Well-Endowed Ale!

Well reviewed, sir! But I'll pass on the cigar. :Boo:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 26th, 2010, 10:05 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:I'm gonna have one of these sometime:

Big Dick's Olde Ale

Well reviewed, sir! But I'll pass on the cigar. :Boo:
I actually did not review it. I stole the description from their web site, simply because of the name and their choice of wordes to describe their beer. And, after reading about their product, of course, I now want to have/enjoy a Big Dick ('s Olde Ale, that is). :ymblushing:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 26th, 2010, 11:27 pm

beer delivery to the coast this weekend, anyone interested?

:-w :whistle:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 27th, 2010, 12:13 am

devildeac wrote:beer delivery to the coast this weekend, anyone interested?

Trying to interfere with my plan of sitting on my ass for three days, huh?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 27th, 2010, 7:38 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:beer delivery to the coast this weekend, anyone interested?

Trying to interfere with my plan of sitting on my ass for three days, huh?
Driving to/from the Corral or Bali Hai=sitting on yer ass
Eating too much food at a buffet=sitting on yer ass
Drinking some fine ales Saturday evening watching the Devils kick (hopefully) some 'Hoo patootie all over the Ravens' stadium=sitting on yer ass

Any other examples needed? ;) :D

What time ya wanna meet? :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 27th, 2010, 7:53 am

devildeac wrote: What time ya wanna meet? :D
Up to you, just let me know. I'll be here, busy sitting on my ass. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 28th, 2010, 7:11 pm

Production of beer bottles...pretty cool.

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 28th, 2010, 7:55 pm

Very familiar. In the old days, a load of bottles from Miller's bottle plant in Auburn NY, to the brewery in Eden NC was the one that got me home for the weekend.
:D :D
Two grins for two days off work.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 29th, 2010, 3:52 pm

DD and I met for lunch and beer shopping. (Including a very nice delivery of several brews bought in Kentucky, thanks again!) The store we shopped at is small, and doesn't have the greatest prices (but then again, they are small, so it's not unexpected), but they do something cool that makes them stand out a bit...they offer tastings! The lady minding the store said they don't usually offer until after 5, but we were the only 2 in the shop, and she pulled four brews for us to sample. Two were from Unibroue (Terrible and Quelque Chose), one from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. (Gulden Draak) and another that I can't remember. (It was a cream ale).
The Terrible wasn't terrible at all, it was a high octane dark brew with lots of bite. More punch from the high ABV (10.2%) than hops, it would have been worth buying but I had already stocked up my cart pretty well. The Quelque Chose was a beatiful dessert beer, fermented with cherries, and that cherry flavor was in abundance. Moderate ABV at just over 8%. The other one I tried was the the Gulden Draak, which is a solid dark triple. I have never had it before, in fact the only beer I've had from that brewer is the Piraat. They had a six pack sampler from them that I bought, it was $20, but broken down into single beers it's a bargain. I didn't try the cream ale, but DD started his tasting with it.
Anyways..very cool of the store to offer that option, I wouldn't have walked out with the six pack sampler unless I had tried the Draak first. :-BD
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 29th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Old Leghumper, a robust porter, by Thirsty Dog Brewing Co. Very cool label B-) , not a bad beer. There is a new craft beer store in downtown Banner Elk. I took a few pictures and I'll post them later.

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 29th, 2010, 4:28 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Old Leghumper, a robust porter, by Thirsty Dog Brewing Co. Very cool label B-) , not a bad beer. There is a new craft beer store in downtown Banner Elk. I took a few pictures and I'll post them later.
DD and I saw this on our shopping trip today, both laughed. Neither of us have tried it, I was tempted to give it a try. I love porters, and you can't beat the name. =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 29th, 2010, 6:18 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Old Leghumper, a robust porter, by Thirsty Dog Brewing Co. Very cool label B-) , not a bad beer. There is a new craft beer store in downtown Banner Elk. I took a few pictures and I'll post them later.
I have never had a Leghumper but we did have a cocker spaniel many years ago that peed on my foot... :-o :ymblushing:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 29th, 2010, 7:04 pm

"Quelque chose" is French for "something."
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 29th, 2010, 8:39 pm

CathyCA wrote:"Quelque chose" is French for "something."
Candian brewer. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 29th, 2010, 9:29 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:DD and I met for lunch and beer shopping. (Including a very nice delivery of several brews bought in Kentucky, thanks again!) The store we shopped at is small, and doesn't have the greatest prices (but then again, they are small, so it's not unexpected), but they do something cool that makes them stand out a bit...they offer tastings! The lady minding the store said they don't usually offer until after 5, but we were the only 2 in the shop, and she pulled four brews for us to sample. Two were from Unibroue (Terrible and Quelque Chose), one from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. (Gulden Draak) and another that I can't remember. (It was a cream ale).
The Terrible wasn't terrible at all, it was a high octane dark brew with lots of bite. More punch from the high ABV (10.2%) than hops, it would have been worth buying but I had already stocked up my cart pretty well. The Quelque Chose was a beatiful dessert beer, fermented with cherries, and that cherry flavor was in abundance. Moderate ABV at just over 8%. The other one I tried was the the Gulden Draak, which is a solid dark triple. I have never had it before, in fact the only beer I've had from that brewer is the Piraat. They had a six pack sampler from them that I bought, it was $20, but broken down into single beers it's a bargain. I didn't try the cream ale, but DD started his tasting with it.
Anyways..very cool of the store to offer that option, I wouldn't have walked out with the six pack sampler unless I had tried the Draak first. :-BD
I liked the Terrible and would have that again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 29th, 2010, 9:30 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:DD and I met for lunch and beer shopping. (Including a very nice delivery of several brews bought in Kentucky, thanks again!) The store we shopped at is small, and doesn't have the greatest prices (but then again, they are small, so it's not unexpected), but they do something cool that makes them stand out a bit...they offer tastings! The lady minding the store said they don't usually offer until after 5, but we were the only 2 in the shop, and she pulled four brews for us to sample. Two were from Unibroue (Terrible and Quelque Chose), one from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. (Gulden Draak) and another that I can't remember. (It was a cream ale).
I thought the Gulden Draak was a dubble or Belgian brown ale with lots of dark fruit flavors and very good.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 29th, 2010, 9:31 pm

devildeac wrote:
I have never had a Leghumper but we did have a cocker spaniel many years ago that peed on my foot... :-o :ymblushing:
We had a cocker spaniel that WAS a leg humper... true story. She was. And so was her uncle (Mrs. Ozzie's parents had her mother and uncle).