Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » May 10th, 2010, 11:06 pm

Bourbon Barrel Stout-Goose Island

One of their reserve, limited release series. Awesome brew. As expected, it starts out as an onyx pour with a small, medium tan head and a bouquet of licorice, molasses and dark chocolate with a hint of deeply roasted espresso. It is an imperial stout and has a moderate amount of bitterness, guessing an IBU of 60-70 but tons of chocolate and other dark malts balance this wonderfully. Smooth and silky and almost oily in texture. As the name describes, it is aged in oak whiskey barrels and this gives the brew a moderate bourbon taste, further enhancing the prominent ABV of 13%. This is no doubt an after dinner drink/dessert beer best served at cellar temperature with or without a small slice of flourless chocolate cake/torte, chocolate pound cake or even a triple chocolate cheesecake. This may become my favorite imperial stout, except for the price of about $20 for the 4 pack :(( . So it may not replace the old standard BBCS which is about $8 for the 4 pack but will certainly become a once or twice a year treat to celebrate special occasions. Like the 2010 National Championship :D . Yes, I'm still celebrating and will save one for next winter and another for 2012.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » May 11th, 2010, 7:53 am

devildeac wrote:Bourbon Barrel Stout-Goose Island

One of their reserve, limited release series. Awesome brew. As expected, it starts out as an onyx pour with a small, medium tan head and a bouquet of licorice, molasses and dark chocolate with a hint of deeply roasted espresso. It is an imperial stout and has a moderate amount of bitterness, guessing an IBU of 60-70 but tons of chocolate and other dark malts balance this wonderfully. Smooth and silky and almost oily in texture. As the name describes, it is aged in oak whiskey barrels and this gives the brew a moderate bourbon taste, further enhancing the prominent ABV of 13%. This is no doubt an after dinner drink/dessert beer best served at cellar temperature with or without a small slice of flourless chocolate cake/torte, chocolate pound cake or even a triple chocolate cheesecake. This may become my favorite imperial stout, except for the price of about $20 for the 4 pack :(( . So it may not replace the old standard BBCS which is about $8 for the 4 pack but will certainly become a once or twice a year treat to celebrate special occasions. Like the 2010 National Championship :D . Yes, I'm still celebrating and will save one for next winter and another for 2012.
Is this one different from the regular Bourbon County Stout? I love that beer..but like you describe above--too expensive and too strong (also at 13%) for regular consumption..I know they have a series of special releases based on their Bourbon County--with a coffee version floating around up here right now. I'm heading to Chicago in a month or so and hoping to make my way over to the brewery..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » May 11th, 2010, 8:02 am

Clipper City Letter of Marque--I guess Clipper City, like Sam Adams, has a homebrew contest with the winner getting to mass produce their creation..Don't know how log they've been doing this but this is the first one I've seen. This brew is a Rye Porter and very well done. Pours a very dark reddish brown with a modest sized head (poured it into my new 2010 championship pint glass). Lots of rye up front that fades into a more typical porter with heavy roasted malts and a hint of dark chocolate. Fairly decent hop bite with some lingering bitterness. 7.8% ABV..very enjoyable on a cooler than normal spring night..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 11th, 2010, 8:22 am

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:Bourbon Barrel Stout-Goose Island

Is this one different from the regular Bourbon County Stout? I love that beer..but like you describe above--too expensive and too strong (also at 13%) for regular consumption..I know they have a series of special releases based on their Bourbon County--with a coffee version floating around up here right now. I'm heading to Chicago in a month or so and hoping to make my way over to the brewery..
My error. You are correct. It is Bourbon County Stout. I have had a buncha bourbon barrel stouts this winter and that phrase has just stuck with me :twitch: . I should have had 6 ounces one night and then finished the bottle the next night.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 11th, 2010, 8:24 am

bluebeer wrote:Clipper City Letter of Marque--I guess Clipper City, like Sam Adams, has a homebrew contest with the winner getting to mass produce their creation..Don't know how log they've been doing this but this is the first one I've seen. This brew is a Rye Porter and very well done. Pours a very dark reddish brown with a modest sized head (poured it into my new 2010 championship pint glass). Lots of rye up front that fades into a more typical porter with heavy roasted malts and a hint of dark chocolate. Fairly decent hop bite with some lingering bitterness. 7.8% ABV..very enjoyable on a cooler than normal spring night..
I have also found that most brews taste better in a 2010 National Championship pint glass ;) :D . Sounds like a tasty brew and we get some Clipper City stuff down here so I'll look for it.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » May 11th, 2010, 8:30 am

devildeac wrote: My error. You are correct. It is Bourbon County Stout. I have had a buncha bourbon barrel stouts this winter and that phrase has just stuck with me :twitch: . I should have had 6 ounces one night and then finished the bottle the next night.
I was hoping it was a new one that I could try to hunt down ;) Great review of a great beer...Definitely my favorite imperial stout and one of my top 5 beers overall..GI also makes an imperial stout called Nightstalker which is also very good (and a bit less potent)...worth keeping an eye out for if you haven't tried it already..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 11th, 2010, 9:01 am

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote: My error. You are correct. It is Bourbon County Stout. I have had a buncha bourbon barrel stouts this winter and that phrase has just stuck with me :twitch: . I should have had 6 ounces one night and then finished the bottle the next night.
I was hoping it was a new one that I could try to hunt down ;) Great review of a great beer...Definitely my favorite imperial stout and one of my top 5 beers overall..GI also makes an imperial stout called Nightstalker which is also very good (and a bit less potent)...worth keeping an eye out for if you haven't tried it already..
I was telling DD of a great beer I got to taste a couple weekends ago, a homebrewed imperial bourbon stout. The guy who made it had been lucky enough to have the opportunity to buy a buorbon barrel ($120) and put it to great use, his brew easily rivaled anything I have tasted that was store bought.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 11th, 2010, 10:23 am

It's coming...American Craft Beer Week!

http://www.dogfish.com/community/news/p ... r-week.htm

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 11th, 2010, 12:56 pm

bluebeer wrote:
Devildeac and his 3 ladies are heading to the Liquor Barn, err, Lexington, Kin-tucky, this weekend so he'll be on the lookout for some more Goosers.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 11th, 2010, 12:58 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:It's coming...American Craft Beer Week!

http://www.dogfish.com/community/news/p ... r-week.htm

Great news but I ain't heading up to Delaware to visit all their events X( .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 11th, 2010, 1:10 pm

devildeac wrote: Great news but I ain't heading up to Delaware to visit all their events X( .
Just as long as you're somewhere in America. And you have a craft beer. My guess is you will have both of those covered. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 11th, 2010, 10:46 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: Great news but I ain't heading up to Delaware to visit all their events X( .
Just as long as you're somewhere in America. And you have a craft beer. My guess is you will have both of those covered. :D
Check and check. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 12th, 2010, 8:52 pm

devildeac wrote:Clipper City Winter Storm Category 5 Ale-Another 1st for me. CB&B shamed me into a 6er of this brew after I did not buy it last week due to the "brewed on" date. Upon further review, I read the label , realized it was a bottle-conditioned ale and caved on Friday buying a 6er for sipping and trading. Good move. This is an Imperial ESB. Take that, rmd. Bet you've never had one of those ;) :D . It has the typical English earthy, malty, slightly sweet taste of an ESB with some piney/sprucey hops. It is a medium brown, clear pour even though I gently swirled the bottle to include the yeast into the pour for a bit of funk and sour taste, which was indeed very slight. Think typical ESB on a few 'roids as it is 7.5% ABV. I'd guess the IBU in the 30-40 range. This is part of their High Seas series, or high gravity ales. A nice ale to enjoy on a cool fall evening with burgers, ribs or pork/chicken BBQ.
Got another one of these as a trader last week with the same "enjoy by" date of March, 2009. This stuff must not have sold too well :-s . Not much to add to this review of about 8 months ago. Perhaps a bit smoother now. A nice ale for a nightcap beverage.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 12th, 2010, 9:03 pm

This is not a review, it's a recommendation. Weyerbacher's Twelve. The bottom of the bottle label says "This BEER will gain even more character if aged properly".
The top of the label say "1995-2007". This is why it has it's given name, it's an anniversery ale (twelfth), and moreso it's a rye barleywine. I split it over the last two days, but never did post while tasting...so that's why no review, no notes. I was, however, blown away by how impressed I was..especially given the $7.95 pricetag of the bomber. How often is an aged, excellent beer that cheap? Anyways..I still won't attempt a review from memory, but I strongly suggest that if you see it, take advantage. And then post about what I've forgotten. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 12th, 2010, 9:06 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:This is not a review, it's a recommendation. Weyerbacher's Twelve. The bottom of the bottle label says "This BEER will gain even more character if aged properly".
The top of the label say "1995-2007". This is why it has it's given name, it's an anniversery ale (twelfth), and moreso it's a rye barleywine. I split it over the last two days, but never did post while tasting...so that's why no review, no notes. I was, however, blown away by how impressed I was..especially given the $7.95 pricetag of the bomber. How often is an aged, excellent beer that cheap? Anyways..I still won't attempt a review from memory, but I strongly suggest that if you see it, take advantage. And then post about what I've forgotten. :D
I think we'll meet at Wines and Wares again over Memorial Day weekend and I will buy some of those anniversary ales that tempted me like the Avery and Weyerbacher, in addition to the Insanity and Blasphemy.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 12th, 2010, 10:35 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:This is not a review, it's a recommendation. Weyerbacher's Twelve. The bottom of the bottle label says "This BEER will gain even more character if aged properly".
I think we'll meet at Wines and Wares again over Memorial Day weekend and I will buy some of those anniversary ales that tempted me like the Avery and Weyerbacher, in addition to the Insanity and Blasphemy.
Good. You'll need a beer after driving through memorial day beach traffic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 12th, 2010, 10:52 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Good. You'll need a beer after driving through memorial day beach traffic.
We'll drive down to the coast after our practice party for dancing on Friday night, leaving Raleigh about 10 PM. We'll return to Raleigh on Monday afternoon or evening. The later the better, I think. The After Midnight brew when we arrive about 1230 AM is always a tasty, thirst-quenching one :D .
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 15th, 2010, 7:50 am

There was an article in this morning's N&O on growing hops in North Carolina. The farmers and researchers are hoping that they'll be successful because there are so many brewers here in North Carolina.

Personally, I like the yield on hops: Hops can sell for more than $10 a pound in small quantities, and it's not unusual for an acre to yield more than 2,000 pounds. I wonder if I could convert my back yard into a hops garden. . .

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/05/15/ ... or-nc.html
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 15th, 2010, 7:59 am

CathyCA wrote:There was an article in this morning's N&O on growing hops in North Carolina. The farmers and researchers are hoping that they'll be successful because there are so many brewers here in North Carolina.

Personally, I like the yield on hops: Hops can sell for more than $10 a pound in small quantities, and it's not unusual for an acre to yield more than 2,000 pounds. I wonder if I could convert my back yard into a hops garden. . .

Great read. Thanks for sharing. We are OOT so would not have seen that until Sunday or Monday. I'll let 8-X and CB&B know you are contemplating a hop garden/farm ;) :D .

My favorite part otf the article:

The farmers and scientists say there is still much to learn about even the most basic parts of growing hops here. Some hazards are already clear, though. Last year, Burnette sent some fresh hops to a skilled home brewer who crafted a beer to serve at a group harvest. On the appointed day, though, they made the mistake of letting everyone "sample" a brew or two before the picking.

"That didn't work out too well," he said. "Next time it will be pick first, drink second."
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 15th, 2010, 11:10 am

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:There was an article in this morning's N&O on growing hops in North Carolina. The farmers and researchers are hoping that they'll be successful because there are so many brewers here in North Carolina.

Great read. Thanks for sharing. We are OOT so would not have seen that until Sunday or Monday. I'll let 8-X and CB&B know you are contemplating a hop garden/farm ;) :D .

My favorite part otf the article:

The farmers and scientists say there is still much to learn about even the most basic parts of growing hops here. Some hazards are already clear, though. Last year, Burnette sent some fresh hops to a skilled home brewer who crafted a beer to serve at a group harvest. On the appointed day, though, they made the mistake of letting everyone "sample" a brew or two before the picking.

"That didn't work out too well," he said. "Next time it will be pick first, drink second."
:-BD Yes, definitely an interesting article! Thanks for sharing! :-BD