RIP, Claudo

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

RIP, Claudo

Post by wilson » May 7th, 2010, 1:02 pm

In a culmination of sorts to things for which I've recently requested several doses of vibes, my grandfather, Earl York, passed this morning. His passing was peaceful, uneventful, and relatively pain-free, and it was simply time.
Earl turned 93 years old this past Monday, and 92 of his years were remarkably vital and healthful. As such, I choose today to celebrate and remember, rather than to lament. Today's was a merciful turn of events, with not a hint of tragedy. He will be remembered fondly, but I am thankful for the release he has been granted.
I entitle this thread "RIP, Claudo" because "Claudo" was the term of endearment (whose provenance is a complete mystery to me) that my brother, grandfather, and I always tossed around together.
Among other things, I will never again eat (or even gaze upon) a Cheez-It without thinking of Earl with a wistful giggle.
Thanks to all for the vibes you've provided, and if you would, please just raise a glass with/for me at some point today.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: RIP, Claudo

Post by lawgrad91 » May 7th, 2010, 1:33 pm

Vibes and prayers for you and your family, Wilson.

It is good that you had so many positive years with your grandfather. I am sure you have many happy memories.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 7th, 2010, 1:38 pm

wilson wrote:In a culmination of sorts to things for which I've recently requested several doses of vibes, my grandfather, Earl York, passed this morning. His passing was peaceful, uneventful, and relatively pain-free, and it was simply time.
Earl turned 93 years old this past Monday, and 92 of his years were remarkably vital and healthful. As such, I choose today to celebrate and remember, rather than to lament. Today's was a merciful turn of events, with not a hint of tragedy. He will be remembered fondly, but I am thankful for the release he has been granted.
I entitle this thread "RIP, Claudo" because "Claudo" was the term of endearment (whose provenance is a complete mystery to me) that my brother, grandfather, and I always tossed around together.
Among other things, I will never again eat (or even gaze upon) a Cheez-It without thinking of Earl with a wistful giggle.
Thanks to all for the vibes you've provided, and if you would, please just raise a glass with/for me at some point today.
Sounds like you find comfort in his passing and will have pleasant memories and funny stories of your experiences with him. I feel the same way about Dad and my children have similar fond and funny memories about Grandpa also. I will have an ale tonight and celebrate his life and your remembrances of him. :ymhug:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 7th, 2010, 1:40 pm

Oh, yeah, and I'll raise a glass tonight at dinner in his memory.
Iron Duke #1471997.
gadzooks
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by gadzooks » May 7th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Godspeed, Claudo. :ymhug:
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 7th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Wilson,

I'm sorry for your loss. I will lift a glass to Claudo this evening and celebrate that he had a wonderful life and a loving family. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:

DinK
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 7th, 2010, 1:52 pm

A 2010 Duke Championship glass will be raised tonight in his honor.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 7th, 2010, 1:55 pm

I will happily raise a glass to Claudo. Sorry for your loss, it sounds like you will have great company with shared memories.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 7th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Would that we all could have this experience when the time comes. Good for you. And good for Claudo! I bet your family will have a heck of a wake....just as he would want. We'll be thinking of you when we pop the wine cork for supper tonight and will gladly lift one in yours and Claudo's names.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 7th, 2010, 4:18 pm

I am sorry for your loss and appreciate your decision to revel in your memories. I will raise a glass of ginger ale to Claudo tonight. Due to having bronchitis, I have to refrain from alcohol.

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
I worship the Blue Devil!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 7th, 2010, 4:35 pm

Here's to Claudo. May he rest in peace.

Vibes to you and your family in your time of both celebration and grief. :ymhug:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » May 7th, 2010, 6:34 pm

I just lifted a glass to Claudo and you, Wilson. Sending many vibes for wonderful memories and shared smiles, hugs, and healing tears with your loved ones.
:ymhug:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 7th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Condolences.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 7th, 2010, 8:22 pm

May you always remember the 'Cheez-its' and anything else that recalls a fond memory.
Many sympathies, Wilson.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 7th, 2010, 9:58 pm

A toast to Claudo, and hugs and prayers to you, Wilson.

You were blessed to have Earl as your grandfather, and he was blessed to have you as his grandson.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » May 7th, 2010, 11:19 pm

Rest in peace, Claudo. I raise a toast to celebrate a life well-lived and to your wonderful family.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » May 9th, 2010, 11:39 am

wilson wrote:In a culmination of sorts to things for which I've recently requested several doses of vibes, my grandfather, Earl York, passed this morning. His passing was peaceful, uneventful, and relatively pain-free, and it was simply time.
Wilson, a very nice post and great perspective.

I missed this as I've been offf the site for a few days, but I will most certainly raise a glass to Claudo today. Sounds like he had a great life.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 9th, 2010, 12:13 pm

Wilson, I am soo sorry for your loss! I know you touched his life in VERY special ways because YOU ARE SPECIAL and have touched our lives! Vibes and prayers for you and your family, Wilson! :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard:
Miles

Post by Miles » May 10th, 2010, 8:26 am

Heart and vibes going out to you and everyone else in the family. Thanks for sharing wilson.
sMiles
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 10th, 2010, 11:41 am

I am so sorry for your loss. I know you will miss Claudo. I'm sure it helps knowing he went peacefully. :ymhug: