Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 5th, 2010, 8:19 pm

devildeac wrote:
Drink and discuss. ;) :D
Awesome list and thanks for the link. I browsed the list, and was happy to notice that it for the most part in alphabetical order, I would never put Steam that high on any list, but it would make a top fifty. I'm painting, but I'll look at the actual link when I'm less distracted. (Or at risk of being more distracted).
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 5th, 2010, 8:59 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Awesome list and thanks for the link. I browsed the list, and was happy to notice that it for the most part in alphabetical order, I would never put Steam that high on any list, but it would make a top fifty. I'm painting, but I'll look at the actual link when I'm less distracted. (Or at risk of being more distracted).
Should we start a thread called Name Your Top 50 Beers, leave it around/stickied for a week or two and then merge it into the Ymm, Beer thread? Just posting out loud here...

=p~ :drool:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » May 5th, 2010, 9:13 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Should we start a thread called Name Your Top 50 Beers, leave it around/stickied for a week or two and then merge it into the Ymm, Beer thread? Just posting out loud here...

Wow..that would be tough..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 5th, 2010, 9:44 pm

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: Awesome list and thanks for the link. I browsed the list, and was happy to notice that it for the most part in alphabetical order, I would never put Steam that high on any list, but it would make a top fifty. I'm painting, but I'll look at the actual link when I'm less distracted. (Or at risk of being more distracted).

You're not kidding. That would be real tough. But I'm thinking about it. Seriously. :-?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 5th, 2010, 10:04 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote: Should we start a thread called Name Your Top 50 Beers, leave it around/stickied for a week or two and then merge it into the Ymm, Beer thread? Just posting out loud here...

You're not kidding. That would be real tough. But I'm thinking about it. Seriously. :-?
After 50 I can't count to one. That's my first beerier.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 5th, 2010, 10:16 pm

devildeac wrote:for Lavabe:

http://cbs4denver.com/local/best.beer.l ... 52138.html

Heck, this is for anybody and everybody who reads this thread. And for those who don't read it, perhaps a brief stop here and reading the article would provide a nice "to do" list for serious beer drinkers or someone who might like to sample a fine malted beverage or three :D .
Great article! Hey, didn't we try the #1 Allagash White last year? If not, I'll have to look for that one! The varieties we did try were DEE-licious! :-BD
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 5th, 2010, 10:32 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:for Lavabe:

http://cbs4denver.com/local/best.beer.l ... 52138.html

Heck, this is for anybody and everybody who reads this thread. And for those who don't read it, perhaps a brief stop here and reading the article would provide a nice "to do" list for serious beer drinkers or someone who might like to sample a fine malted beverage or three :D .
Great article! Hey, didn't we try the #1 Allagash White last year? If not, I'll have to look for that one! The varieties we did try were DEE-licious! :-BD
Don't think so. You brought the Allagash 4 and perhaps another 750 ml bottle (Malone?) but don't remember seeing a 4 pack or 6er of the White.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 7th, 2010, 2:00 pm

Tomorrow is the anthropological taste-testing of DFH's Chateau Jiahu and Theobroma. Will fill you in on the responses of the anthropologists.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » May 7th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Lavabe wrote:Tomorrow is the anthropological taste-testing of DFH's Chateau Jiahu and Theobroma. Will fill you in on the responses of the anthropologists.
Despite being a huge fan of DFH, I've never had either of these..or Pangea..those big bottles scare me off..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 7th, 2010, 3:47 pm

bluebeer wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Tomorrow is the anthropological taste-testing of DFH's Chateau Jiahu and Theobroma. Will fill you in on the responses of the anthropologists.
Despite being a huge fan of DFH, I've never had either of these..or Pangea..those big bottles scare me off..
On one of those "How it's made" type shows, they did beer, and they did a lot of filming at DFH. They showed them brewing one of these beers for the first time, just like a homebrewer would with a small setup for a 5 gallon batch. They had an archeologist as an advisor who had helped them identify which grains and spices they would be using, it was pretty cool. I wish I could remember which of the brews it was.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 7th, 2010, 5:31 pm

bluebeer wrote:
On one of those "How it's made" type shows, they did beer, and they did a lot of filming at DFH. They showed them brewing one of these beers for the first time, just like a homebrewer would with a small setup for a 5 gallon batch. They had an archeologist as an advisor who had helped them identify which grains and spices they would be using, it was pretty cool. I wish I could remember which of the brews it was.
DFH has been working with a chemical archaeologist at UPenn.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2010, 2:57 pm

Last week's beer: Horn Dog Barleywine Style Ale-Flying Dog

A solid, though not outstanding offering, that is contract-brewed in Frederick, Maryland, from this Colorado brewing company. Lots and lotsa caramel and other malts for a mildly sweet brew that is mild to moderate on the hops, with an IBU of 45 and an ABV of 10.2%. Nice copper color, modest short-lived head and very smooth and drinkable, unlike some barleywines that are kinda rough and need a year or two in the bottle to "soften" their hop edge a bit. This would make a nice beverage with BBQ fare or an after dinner drink from a snifter. I'll be curious to read what CB&B thinks about this as he bought a 4 pack FD sampler before our guys' lunch out today in J'ville. This was a 2009 bottle from 8-X IIRC as a trader last fall. Thanks!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 8th, 2010, 3:02 pm

devildeac wrote:Last week's beer: Horn Dog Barleywine Style Ale-Flying Dog

A solid, though not outstanding offering, that is contract-brewed in Frederick, Maryland, from this Colorado brewing company. Lots and lotsa caramel and other malts for a mildly sweet brew that is mild to moderate on the hops, with an IBU of 45 and an ABV of 10.2%. Nice copper color, modest short-lived head and very smooth and drinkable, unlike some barleywines that are kinda rough and need a year or two in the bottle to "soften" their hop edge a bit. This would make a nice beverage with BBQ fare or an after dinner drink from a snifter. I'll be curious to read what CB&B thinks about this as he bought a 4 pack FD sampler before our guys' lunch out today in J'ville. This was a 2009 bottle from 8-X IIRC as a trader last fall. Thanks!
I've bought Horn Dog a bunch, and like it. I didn't know it was brewed via another brewer. As far as Flying Dog's big beers go, I like their Gonzon imperial porter more than the Horn Dog. I was happy to see them offer the 4 pack mixer, it's a good way to enjoy each without having to pay the higher price for buying them individually.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2010, 3:13 pm

devildeac wrote:Last week's beer: Horn Dog Barleywine Style Ale-Flying Dog

I've bought Horn Dog a bunch, and like it. I didn't know it was brewed via another brewer. As far as Flying Dog's big beers go, I like their Gonzon imperial porter more than the Horn Dog. I was happy to see them offer the 4 pack mixer, it's a good way to enjoy each without having to pay the higher price for buying them individually.
Their IIPA is also good and usually a couple bucks less per 4 pack than a lotta other IIPAs.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Hoptical Illusion-Blue Point Brewing

New brewery and new brew to me. Quite enjoyable and representative of the IPA style. I asked Mrs. DD to sniff this prior to my tasting and I believe she nailed it as she said, "Orange." There's obviously no orange in an IPA but the aroma is that of a freshly peeled navel orange and the taste is the same. Pours an orange-copper with a 1-2 finger head. Solid malt balance. You could enjoy this with a fruit compote/chutney glazed grilled hunka chicken or fish and, if you chose something curried/more spicey, this ale would not be lost. IBU are not given but I'd guess 50-60 and the ABV is 6.8% so I had this as my pre-dinner beverage a couple hours ago and enjoyed my next brew with a small amount of leftovers from my wife's dinner 'cuz I was too full to eat anything when I picked up her order about 6 PM. This was a trader from one of the drug reps who calls on me at the office, so, yea, CB&B and 8-X , I am still cheating on youze guys :D . But CB&B will see the identical twin to this in a future trader ;) .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2010, 11:00 pm

400 Pound Monkey-Left Hand Brewing

An English style IPA and it's not even listed on their web pages :-w :Boo: . This is a different style than your typical American IPA so it's a bit lighter in color, body and hop profile with a 1 fingered head that's a bit more lacy and less foamy. This has a piney-floral aroma with a soft malty backbone. I'm gonna guess the IBU a bit lower than a typical IPA and in the 40-50 range. ABV is not on the bottle but I'd guess in the 6-7% range so it made a nice session beer with the leftover seafood I had for dinner tonight. Certainly worth a taste/trade of a single or two. I only got one of these in my most recent trader so CB&B is on his own finding/buying/tasting this one :D .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 9th, 2010, 12:51 pm

Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA. Part of my NOVA beer order from devildeac, this is great IIPA. What I love most in good IPA are the Simcoe hops, they have a lot of bite and impart that really nice citrus tone to the beer. Double the hops is really nice, not soooo bitter that it's hard to drink and full of flavor that makes it really enjoyable. It's still a bit of a sipper at 9%ABV though.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 9th, 2010, 2:57 pm

devildeac wrote:Kerberos Tripel-Flying Dog-As advertised, this is a fairly authentic brew for the style. Yellow-golden and slightly cloudy with hints of lemon-orange citrus. ABV of 8.5% and an IBU of 27 so little bitterness here with some mildly aromatic and floral hops and lighter malts. This would be tasty with fruit salad and light grilled entrees like chicken and seafood. It would be good as an after dinner beverage with a cheese plate. Guess what? You got it. Another trader brew from the Crystal Coast homebrew meister. Another :ymapplause: choice.
It's been a long while since I had one of these, it came in the FD 4 pack mixer. I had to take a break from painting to post how good this is, and happily found that DD already did a while back...he sums it up. Way damn tasty, the citrus just pours out.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 10th, 2010, 8:49 am

Last night's beer first, then another celebration brew from last week a bit later this AM.

Dark Matter-Brooklyn Brewing

Draft. Tyler's Taproom. After the stunning Sunday evening performance of Wicked at the DPAC. this rich, dark brown ale was a wonderful after dinner/show drink. Following the trend of just about everyone (except CB&B :)) =)) ), the folks at Brooklyn decided to take their Manhattan Project and one other specialty/seasonal brew and age it for four months in bourbon and rye barrels and then throw all the stuff together, keg it and ship it. The end result is an even darker, richer brown ale than I remember from the last time I had it several years ago. Little hop presence with a guess-timated IBU in the 30's and the ABV is 7.8%, highter than you'd expect from your standard brown ale. Served a bit too cold (they gotta keep it fresh), I sipped on this while sampling some 4 alarm wings, stealing a bit of my daughter's bourbon stout grilled chicken sammich and nibbling the chips, 3 alarm salsa and 2 alarm queso we all shared. As it warmed, all the caramel, milk chocolate and oaky/vanilla flavors gently caressed the palate. This was a great find and price at $5 for a full pint. If you are in the area, or can find it in a draft house near you, have one with some BBQ ribs/brisket/chicken and savor it as I doubt it will be around long and you won't find it in any bottles :(( . Great name, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 10th, 2010, 9:50 am

Still :-w and :whistle: on/about the anthropological reviews.