Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by bluebeer » April 26th, 2010, 11:09 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Just got a call from dd, he and 8-X are outside Total Wine in Alexandria asking if I wanted to place an order. I told them to call me back when they figure out what they should bring back. :D
Order placed. Mmmmmmm. Surprisingly no Dogfish De 'Extra, World Wide Stout or 120 in stock. Devildeac said that he and bunchofnumbers fingered all of the Dogfish brews, and found nothing. That scared me. :twitch:
So what was in the order?
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 26th, 2010, 11:32 am

Sam Adams Long Shot Lemon Pepper Saison--I was very tentative in trying this as it made me think too much about lemon pepper chicken which is fine as chicken but not as beer...but having had both spicy and citrusy saisons, I hoped for the best. While not a bad beer, I was a little disappointed..Pours a hazy dark yellow. The taste is very light and crisp with a fairly strong but almost bitter lemon taste that didn't seem to blend well with the bready malt backbone. Some peppery spiciness in the finish though fairly subtle. Very little yeast or funk for a saison. Worth trying as part of the long shot 6 pack but not something i would buy on its own..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 26th, 2010, 11:48 am

Sam Adams Long Shot Old Ben's Ale--I love Old Ales and was excited to give this one a try. Pours a deep amber. True to the style, this is all malt with a lot of sweet caramel and brown sugar. Surprising amount of dark fruit. Despite liking sweeter Old Ales and Barleywines, this one was a bit too sugary and syrupy for me. The body is a bit light and it seems to lack the complexity of other old ales. My favorite old ales also seem to have a musty "old" characteristic to them which is also lacking here. Again, not bad and maybe would be better with a little bit of age. Better than the Lemon Pepper Saison and I still have a Mile High Barleywine to complete the Long Shot lineup...ABV-9%
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 26th, 2010, 11:58 am

Dark Horse Reserve Black Bier Ale--A new brewery for me and I grabbed a single of this beer and a 4 pack of their Double Crooked Tree (IIPA). This one is listed a strong ale but really could almost be a stout. Pours nearly black with a light head. The initial taste is lots of dark toasted malts which gives way to a strong espresso bitterness. Lots and lots of dark chocolate and a touch of sweeter carmel malts for some balance. A bit bolder than a porter, this really drinks like a light imperial stout. The same tastes are there but the body is far lighter..ABV of 7.5%. Hope to pick up some more of this one..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 26th, 2010, 12:28 pm

bluebeer wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Just got a call from dd, he and 8-X are outside Total Wine in Alexandria asking if I wanted to place an order. I told them to call me back when they figure out what they should bring back. :D
Order placed. Mmmmmmm. Surprisingly no Dogfish De 'Extra, World Wide Stout or 120 in stock. Devildeac said that he and bunchofnumbers fingered all of the Dogfish brews, and found nothing. That scared me. :twitch:
I don't remember most, but I do know that devildeac and I are splitting a 6 pack of SA's brewer series, where they take recipes submitted by homebrewers.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 26th, 2010, 12:40 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: 6 pack of SA's brewer series, where they take recipes submitted by homebrewers.
Just reviewed 2 of them, with 1 more to try..looking forward to hearing what the 2 of you think about them..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

bluebeer wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: 6 pack of SA's brewer series, where they take recipes submitted by homebrewers.
Just reviewed 2 of them, with 1 more to try..looking forward to hearing what the 2 of you think about them..
Ha! So you did. If you search you'll find where I posted about my next brew, which will be using a saison yeast. I was going to brew it this week, but was just too busy. Hopefully sometime this week.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 26th, 2010, 1:06 pm

bluebeer wrote:
Ha! So you did. If you search you'll find where I posted about my next brew, which will be using a saison yeast. I was going to brew it this week, but was just too busy. Hopefully sometime this week.
I saw that and was very jealous to not be able to try some of your creations :(
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2010, 5:43 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I was sure this had been reviewed, but after a search it seems it's only been mentioned. Arcadia Cereal Killer, a really great barley wine without the the extreme ABV of some I've had lately. (CK checks in at just under 10%). Pours really cloudy, super fruity, tons of flavor. Lots of malts are the flavor source here, low hoppage. Really sweet, they could have called it "Sugared Cereal Killer" The lower ABV I think makes it even more enjoyable, because the alcohol tones don't knock you back as much, and this is pretty low for bitterness; those two qualities really let this ale dance on your tongue. This a fun brew, highly recommended. Thanks much to DD for picking me up a bomber while passing through Kin Tucky. (While it's lower ABV is nice, it's still a sipper!)
Ahh...just took another sip..really really good.
By the way..anyone remember the band "Green Jello"? They had to change their name due to some never known band of the same name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cereal_Killer
It ain't THAT low in ABV. Old Foghorn, Old Boardhead, Old Knucklehead and Bigfoot are all under 10%.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2010, 5:45 pm

bluebeer wrote:Sam Adams Long Shot Lemon Pepper Saison--I was very tentative in trying this as it made me think too much about lemon pepper chicken which is fine as chicken but not as beer...but having had both spicy and citrusy saisons, I hoped for the best. While not a bad beer, I was a little disappointed..Pours a hazy dark yellow. The taste is very light and crisp with a fairly strong but almost bitter lemon taste that didn't seem to blend well with the bready malt backbone. Some peppery spiciness in the finish though fairly subtle. Very little yeast or funk for a saison. Worth trying as part of the long shot 6 pack but not something i would buy on its own..
This was in the order.
;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2010, 5:46 pm

bluebeer wrote:Sam Adams Long Shot Old Ben's Ale--I love Old Ales and was excited to give this one a try. Pours a deep amber. True to the style, this is all malt with a lot of sweet caramel and brown sugar. Surprising amount of dark fruit. Despite liking sweeter Old Ales and Barleywines, this one was a bit too sugary and syrupy for me. The body is a bit light and it seems to lack the complexity of other old ales. My favorite old ales also seem to have a musty "old" characteristic to them which is also lacking here. Again, not bad and maybe would be better with a little bit of age. Better than the Lemon Pepper Saison and I still have a Mile High Barleywine to complete the Long Shot lineup...ABV-9%
As was this.
;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2010, 5:46 pm

bluebeer wrote:
Plus, the barleywine.

;) :D ;;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2010, 5:47 pm

bluebeer wrote:
Bell's Consecrator Doublebock was also included.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2010, 5:53 pm

bluebeer wrote:
Oh, and I forgot Heresy and Double Simcoe IIPA.

And, the 2009 release of Samichlaus.

Plus, bombers of Green Flash IIPA, Triple and one I honestly can't recall to save my life at the moment. :ymblushing:

Negotiations with CB&B TF.

:D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2010, 5:56 pm

bluebeer wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Order placed. Mmmmmmm. Surprisingly no Dogfish De 'Extra, World Wide Stout or 120 in stock. Devildeac said that he and bunchofnumbers fingered all of the Dogfish brews, and found nothing. That scared me. :twitch:
I don't remember most, but I do know that devildeac and I are splitting a 6 pack of SA's brewer series, where they take recipes submitted by homebrewers.
They don't "take " recipes from homebrewers. They actually have to brew the beer and enter it in a homebrewers competition and then SA selects the winners every year and brews the beer and releases is nationally. I think it's great that they started doing that again after about a 10 year absence.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 26th, 2010, 6:02 pm

devildeac wrote: They don't "take " recipes from homebrewers. They actually have to brew the beer and enter it in a homebrewers competition and then SA selects the winners every year and brews the beer and releases is nationally. I think it's great that they started doing that again after about a 10 year absence.
Right..I said it wrong but, yes, they do have to brew and submit. I didn't know they used to do it, but I love the idea. My favorite was the cranberry last year..and it was a woman brewer which I thought was cool.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 26th, 2010, 6:43 pm

devildeac wrote: Oh, and I forgot Heresy and Double Simcoe IIPA.

Plus, bombers of Green Flash IIPA, Triple and one I honestly can't recall to save my life at the

Wow..quite a haul..I don't think anyone can lose in those negotiations.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 26th, 2010, 6:51 pm

devildeac wrote: They don't "take " recipes from homebrewers. They actually have to brew the beer and enter it in a homebrewers competition and then SA selects the winners every year and brews the beer and releases is nationally. I think it's great that they started doing that again after about a 10 year absence.
Right..I said it wrong but, yes, they do have to brew and submit. I didn't know they used to do it, but I love the idea. My favorite was the cranberry last year..and it was a woman brewer which I thought was cool.
It is a great concept and it's resulted in some very good beers..neat way for sa to tap into the craft brewing market.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 26th, 2010, 7:01 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I was sure this had been reviewed, but after a search it seems it's only been mentioned. Arcadia Cereal Killer, a really great barley wine without the the extreme ABV of some I've had lately. (CK checks in at just under 10%). Pours really cloudy, super fruity, tons of flavor. Lots of malts are the flavor source here, low hoppage. Really sweet, they could have called it "Sugared Cereal Killer" The lower ABV I think makes it even more enjoyable, because the alcohol tones don't knock you back as much, and this is pretty low for bitterness; those two qualities really let this ale dance on your tongue. This a fun brew, highly recommended. Thanks much to DD for picking me up a bomber while passing through Kin Tucky. (While it's lower ABV is nice, it's still a sipper!)
Ahh...just took another sip..really really good.
By the way..anyone remember the band "Green Jello"? They had to change their name due to some never known band of the same name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cereal_Killer
It ain't THAT low in ABV. Old Foghorn, Old Boardhead, Old Knucklehead and Bigfoot are all under 10%.
The bottle says 9%..online I had seen it a little higher. A flat 9 is low to me for a barleywine, I usually think 10 and over. I know it's only 1%, but it's sort of like the Richter scale to me, a little nudge goes a long way.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2010, 8:57 pm

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote: Oh, and I forgot Heresy and Double Simcoe IIPA.

Plus, bombers of Green Flash IIPA, Triple and one I honestly can't recall to save my life at the

Wow..quite a haul..I don't think anyone can lose in those negotiations.
Just checked the car parked downstairs in the garage at the hotel we are at in DC. The final bomber is Hop Pursuit, one of the brewmaster's reserves from Full Sail. Had to select my beverage for the evening which will be the Double Simcoe. ;) :D :drool: