Insomnia

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Insomnia

Post by colchar » April 11th, 2009, 2:56 pm

I've had terrible insomnia lately and know a couple of others here suffer from it as well. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to overcome it? I've tried sleeping pills but they don't put me to sleep any quicker - they just make it tougher to wake up in the morning and make me more groggy the next day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Insomnia

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 11th, 2009, 3:11 pm

I wish I could help, I just stay up late, but it's by choice. Are you athletic? Maybe after dinner if you went for a decent walk. Not a pokey walk but one with effort behind it. Wear your body out some, spend some calories.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 11th, 2009, 3:21 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I wish I could help, I just stay up late, but it's by choice. Are you athletic? Maybe after dinner if you went for a decent walk. Not a pokey walk but one with effort behind it. Wear your body out some, spend some calories.
I usually stay up late out of choice as well but, lately, it hasn't been as much by choice.

I had worked last night (I work part-time as a bouncer to help pay some bills while in grad school) and didn't get home until about 3:30am. I think working that late at night is part of the problem as I am wide awake when I get home. I tried to crash around 6ish but couldn't sleep so got up and played NHL '09 until about 10:30 this morning at which point I managed about four hours sleep.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 11th, 2009, 3:28 pm

(Posted by knights68)
Read?
Eat?
Run around the block (i.e., exercise)
Just do not eat and read whilst running 'round the block! Things could go wrong and fast! But on the bright side, atleast ya wont have to worry with insomnia. The meds you'll get will work fantasically! ha ha
I worship the Blue Devil!
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » April 11th, 2009, 5:57 pm

I, like CameronB&B, tend to stay up very late by choice but I have had many a bout with insomnia. I agree. Sleeping tabs and/or Nyquil just makes you feel horrible and groggy the next day.

An honest suggestion: If you play sports that involves cardio, schedule a game and just play it until you drop. The endorphines, after a two-hour or so "wound up" period will put you to a pleasent sleep. If you don't play sports, just put on some running shoes and run, run, run till it hurts, then run some more. Same effect.

If that doesn't work, then break the metaphorcal glass and put in a DVD of "The English Patient." You'll be asleep in minutes and/or seconds.

Seriously, I know that's a tough thing to deal with. My philosophy is, if you are lying in bed wide awake then just get up and do something (if nothing else works to put you to sleep). If you're going to be awake, might as well be up and enjoying it.

Again, I know it can be tough. The exercise thing works. Hope you beat it and if you do figure something unique out, please share.
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 11th, 2009, 7:15 pm

EarlJam wrote: If that doesn't work, then break the metaphorcal glass and put in a DVD of "The English Patient." You'll be asleep in minutes and/or seconds.
Removing spew residue from my monitor now. Thanks EJ. Someone please pass me another paper towel.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 11th, 2009, 8:02 pm

I'm seriously considering just getting wasted and passing out as opposed to falling asleep.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 22nd, 2011, 5:13 am

More insomnia. :-s
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 22nd, 2011, 9:48 am

How many pages back did you go to pull this one out?
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 22nd, 2011, 12:56 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:How many pages back did you go to pull this one out?
Search function, keyword "insomnia." No difficulty finding this thread. @-)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » March 23rd, 2011, 1:33 pm

Take a course in mindfulness based stress reduction. I recommend the one at Duke Integrative Medicine. They even have online classes.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 23rd, 2011, 1:39 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Take a course in mindfulness based stress reduction. I recommend the one at Duke Integrative Medicine. They even have online classes.
Love, Ima
Or just have a double bourbon before bed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 23rd, 2011, 1:42 pm

Watch our offense the last 10:51 or so of the Michigan game from this past Sunday. :(( (-|
Our defense was pretty sleep-inducing also. X(
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 23rd, 2011, 3:53 pm

devildeac wrote:Watch our offense the last 10:51 or so of the Michigan game from this past Sunday. :(( (-|
Our defense was pretty sleep-inducing also. X(
I'm not sure sky high blood pressure promotes sleepiness - unless you are looking for the big sleep.
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 23rd, 2011, 6:54 pm

The Duke Student Health podcasts have relaxation "exercises" that put me to sleep sometimes before the second deep breath. :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » March 23rd, 2011, 7:01 pm

I took Tension Control for a PE class one year. It met in the mat room - either in Card Gym or Cameron - don't remember which one. One day, the entire class fell asleep. Part of our homework was to keep a journal and practice relaxation techniques.

Is there still a PE requirement to graduate from Duke?
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 23rd, 2011, 9:15 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:I took Tension Control for a PE class one year. It met in the mat room - either in Card Gym or Cameron - don't remember which one. One day, the entire class fell asleep. Part of our homework was to keep a journal and practice relaxation techniques.

Is there still a PE requirement to graduate from Duke?
There was no PE requirement to graduate from Duke in 1984.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 4th, 2011, 3:31 am

I can't sleep. Wonder if it has anything to do with the event that is scheduled to be completed about 12 hours from now...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 4th, 2011, 5:32 am

Well, we can probably safely say it has nothing to do with our basketball team's offense against Michigan in March of this year. Unless you are that passionate about Duke b-ball.