Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » April 2nd, 2010, 11:37 pm

Tonight's haul: Cereal Killer, Jefferson Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout, Founder's KMS Barrel Aged Stout, Goose Island Pere Jacques and Bourbon County Stout, Anchor Old Foghorn, Great Lakes Burning River PA, a couple DFH World Wide Stouts and a couple Raison D'Extra. I am not sure I have ever come up with such an assortment. And you oughta see what I didn't buy.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 2nd, 2010, 11:38 pm

devildeac wrote:Tonight's haul: .... And you oughta see what I didn't buy.
Can you go back please and pick those up also so I can drink them up! ;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 3rd, 2010, 7:59 am

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:Tonight's haul: .... And you oughta see what I didn't buy.
Can you go back please and pick those up also so I can drink them up! ;) :D
No more room in the car.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 3rd, 2010, 12:55 pm

devildeac wrote:Tonight's haul: Cereal Killer, Jefferson Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout, Founder's KMS Barrel Aged Stout, Goose Island Pere Jacques and Bourbon County Stout, Anchor Old Foghorn, Great Lakes Burning River PA, a couple DFH World Wide Stouts and a couple Raison D'Extra. I am not sure I have ever come up with such an assortment. And you oughta see what I didn't buy.
I love that name! Cereal Killer!

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Clever people, those brewmasters!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 3rd, 2010, 12:59 pm

devildeac wrote:a couple Raison D'Extra.
AHA!! I thought you had said it was different, so seeing in print clarifies. DFH does not have this one listed on their website, only the D'etre.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 4th, 2010, 2:42 am

An incredible beer tonight to celebrate the DUKE victory, a Dogfish Head Aprihop! I definitely smelled the Hops immediately and was hesitant because I have found that the more hoppier for me is not always the greatest, (i can pallet, but don't really enjoy until I'm 3 sheets to the wind), however, I must say I was pleasantly surprised with this brew! I haven't ever seen it before, so I picked up, tasted some of the hops and the rest of the brew... wow... definitely a trader for the future with CB&B and DD! I will have to get me a few more 4 packs of this brew before it disappears! :-BD
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 4th, 2010, 2:51 am

I've got 2 really good brew from the last couple nights but I am exhausted. They will be Fritz and Ken's Ale and Jefferson Bourbon Barrel Stout.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 4th, 2010, 10:18 am

I finally have a guaranteed date that I will be drinking my 120. I told 8-X when he gave it to me back in November that I was going to save it for Duke's last game, and I was planning on that being in April. Tomorrow night I get to enjoy it! I think I will sip half during half time, then the other half while I watch them cut down the nets.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 4th, 2010, 10:21 am

I bottled my Sweet Sixteen yesterday. It is 11%ABV, lotta hops and really heavy. I was shooting for an Imperial IPA, but it's really much more of a barley-wine due to some mid lovibond malts I used. I had the bottom of the barrell yesterday during the game, it's really nice and should age excellently. The name comes from the fact that I brewed it on the day we beat Cal, and moved on to the Sweet Sixteen.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 4th, 2010, 10:23 am

bluebeer wrote:Sierra Nevada Fritz and Ken's Ale--The first of several 30th Anniversary beers that SN has planned for this year. Corked 750ml bottle. An imperial stout that pours black with a surprisingly large head. Lots of toasted malts with dark chocolate and espresso. Very hoppy as one would expect from SN with a decent amount of bitterness that blends well. Almost no trace of alcohol despite being over 9% ABV. I tend to like imperial stouts which are a bit sweeter and boozier but this is definitely on the dry and smokey side..still very enjoyable and worth trying if you sit.
This is dead on target. I'd guess the IBU to be in the 70s but the malts are the main actors here. Lavabe and I split one of these after dinner Friday night as he/we dribbled, passed, posted and shot our way to 20K posts on the LTE :ymblushing: . This was about an hour after we divided a Collaboration, not Litigation Ale with our grilled chicken salad AND pot roast dinner that he lovingly prepared for our arrival to the Land of the Lost :D :-* . The SN 30th Anniversary Ale (one of several planned for 2010 as bluebeer said) is a bit spendy at $9 for the 750 ml bottle but worth a try. I'd still prefer the BBCS, Storm King or Old Rasputin as they are only about $2 for the 12 ounce bottles.

And BTW, CB&B, I bought 2 of them. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 4th, 2010, 10:28 am

I watched "How Stuff Is Made" yesterday, they did it on beer. They shot a lot of footage at both Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head, with some cool interviews at both places. They also must have shot at Boston Brewing, becuase they showed a couple shots of whatshisface that founded the brewery, but they never mentioned the brewery by name. I thought that was interesting. Anyways, keep an eye for a repeat, it's a great show. (covers a lot of home brewing, too)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 4th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Hey Devildeac and Lavabe...did y'all see/try this place?

Or this one?

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 4th, 2010, 1:00 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Hey Devildeac and Lavabe...did y'all see/try this place?

Or this one?

Walked right by it. Why the hell would I want to eat/drink at a damned ram brewery? :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 4th, 2010, 1:01 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Hey Devildeac and Lavabe...did y'all see/try this place?

Or this one?

We ate/drank at the Alcatraz brewery when we were up here in 2009 visiting another BIL of mine. Not bad but not worthy of a return visit. :(
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 5th, 2010, 8:45 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:a couple Raison D'Extra.
AHA!! I thought you had said it was different, so seeing in print clarifies. DFH does not have this one listed on their website, only the D'etre.
Look under specialty releases or occasional releases.
Damn, their site is down now or I woulda found you a linky.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 5th, 2010, 8:47 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I bottled my Sweet Sixteen yesterday. It is 11%ABV, lotta hops and really heavy. I was shooting for an Imperial IPA, but it's really much more of a barley-wine due to some mid lovibond malts I used. I had the bottom of the barrell yesterday during the game, it's really nice and should age excellently. The name comes from the fact that I brewed it on the day we beat Cal, and moved on to the Sweet Sixteen.
That is a GREAT name. I thought it mighta been named cuz you made it 16% ABV.
:)) :)) =)) =))

:twitch: :twitch:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 5th, 2010, 8:59 am

Jefferson Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout-Bluegrass Brewing Company-Not everything that comes outta kin-tucky is bad. I had this about 18 months ago during our 1st visit to La Casa Lavabe and liked it so much, he brought one to a Brunchgate as a trader and I bought another 4 pack on Friday. This makes all the grades well. A fine stout, nearly black with a foamy tan head. Bitter? Yep, but just mildly so from tons of roasted dark malts. I'd guess the IBU to be 50-60. Dark chocolate flavor and aroma? Yesiree. It is oak-aged in old bourbon barrels so there are mild vanilla and woody notes (but no corned beef or pastrami :tease: ). The bourbon nose and taste is subtle and late and I am perfectly fine with that. Serve it about 55-60 degrees so all the aromas and tastes may be savored. Enjoy the whole 12 ounces at 8% ABV, or share it with a friend in a couple snifters as a dessert or night cap. And yes, CB&B, it will be available as a trader or as part of your regular order. ;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 5th, 2010, 9:08 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Hercules!!
Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide..
Saw this at Total Wine, and had to pick up a bomber. Rated 100 on beeradvocate, it's loaded up with hops. The bottle says "not for the faint of heart", and that's true. If you aren't a hophead, this one ain't for you. 85 IBU's, I had half of the bottle on Thursday, and put the bottle uncapped in the fridge. 4 days later, it still pours with a huge, light tan head, nice pale golden body. The high IBU's mean it's pretty tart, and it's kicked up a bit by the 10%ABV. The mild, sweet flavor is hard to get to through the hop overload, but it is there. A really nice ale, but drink it slow and spread it out. In fact, I'd challenge anyone to do otherwise...it's not a chugging beer. Not sure if I agree with the 100 rating, but it IS good. Worthy of making a brunchgate to share.
I got one of the 4 packs and enjoyed 1 last PM. Yes, I am continuing to celebrate with big beers :D. CB&B nails it with his thoughts. I did appreciate a bit more of a malt balance with a bit of toffee/caramel sweetness than he did. I will also add that my impression on the aroma and taste was the pretty typical grapefruitiness often present in an IIPA. Good idea to split a bomber over 2 nights. Once again, this brew will be available in a trader or as part of your order from the Land of the Lost. ;) :D
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 5th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Let's Go Duke!!!

Mmmmmm Beer.
sMiles
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » April 6th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Celebratory beers. Did anyone drink anything special last night? I went with Lost Abbey Angels Share, a barrel aged barley wine. Corked and caged 375 ml bottle..2 year old vintage. Pours a thick sludgy brown. Big bourbon taste with notes of vanilla. An earthy musty oak taste that cuts down on some of the sweet booziness. Thick and syrupy with very little carbonation. A fantastic barley wine/old ale and an excellent way to celebrate #4..