Championship Game---Duke Vs. Butler

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Championship Game---Duke Vs. Butler

Post by devildeac » April 5th, 2010, 9:12 am

I'm not that nervous now but I can feel the almost uncontrollable anxiety mounting. :pray: :YMPRAY: :-ss :-ss
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » April 5th, 2010, 9:26 am

devildeac wrote:I'm not that nervous now but I can feel the almost uncontrollable anxiety mounting. :pray: :YMPRAY: :-ss :-ss
I'm not very nervous at all. I am confident that the boys will perform well, and if they play to their abilities (or close enough), we will win. Today, for me, is about watching my two favorite teams perform in as special a setting as possible, and about celebrating life. Duke and the Braves for me represent a lot more than just sports, so for this day to have unfolded this way is immensely special for me. There is a great deal of emotion coursing through me right now.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 5th, 2010, 9:53 am

devildeac wrote:I'm not that nervous now but I can feel the almost uncontrollable anxiety mounting. :pray: :YMPRAY: :-ss :-ss

I am already nervous...by game time (11.5 hours and counting) I will probably need to be medicated... :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :-ss :-ss :-ss :-ss :-ss :-ss
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 5th, 2010, 10:38 am

windsor wrote:

I am already nervous...by game time (11.5 hours and counting) I will probably need to be medicated... :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :-ss :-ss :-ss :-ss :-ss :-ss
You and me both Windsor.
I worship the Blue Devil!
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » April 5th, 2010, 10:59 am

I am QUITE, QUITE Nervous. Why? Villanova, '85. N.C. State, '83. Those are just two reasons. Others are Michigan State, Kansas State, and Syracuse '10.

Butler just can't seem to get the appropriate respect. And they know it. They're on a mission.

That said, Duke IS the more talented team, and I believe in them.

Go Duke! I BELIEVE! But yes, I am nervous.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » April 5th, 2010, 11:07 am

I'm experiencing some of the anxiety and nerves before this start, but I also feel an inner calm I've felt throughout this season. Last night I slept well, overcoming the exhaustion which followed Saturday night's game.

The media is throwing out all sorts of distractions: Butler's story, NJ nets preparing to throw lost of money at Coach K, Kyle's "departure," endless analysis and gibberish passed off as knowledgeable discussion. I'm confident that Coach K and staff have planned for this day and how to keep such mind muddling stuff in the background. The guys on the team aren't really enjoying being in Indy just yet because they're very focused on their mission.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 5th, 2010, 11:11 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I'm experiencing some of the anxiety and nerves before this start, but I also feel an inner calm I've felt throughout this season. Last night I slept well, overcoming the exhaustion which followed Saturday night's game.

The media is throwing out all sorts of distractions: Butler's story, NJ nets preparing to throw lost of money at Coach K, Kyle's "departure," endless analysis and gibberish passed off as knowledgeable discussion. I'm confident that Coach K and staff have planned for this day and how to keep such mind muddling stuff in the background. The guys on the team aren't really enjoying being in Indy just yet because they're very focused on their mission.
I keep thinking the same thing about Coach K and his staff regarding this game. He will keep this team focused on the task at hand, not the results they and we are all hoping for.
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 5th, 2010, 11:31 am

EarlJam wrote:I am QUITE, QUITE Nervous. Why? Villanova, '85. N.C. State, '83. Those are just two reasons. Others are Michigan State, Kansas State, and Syracuse '10.

Butler just can't seem to get the appropriate respect. And they know it. They're on a mission.

That said, Duke IS the more talented team, and I believe in them.

Go Duke! I BELIEVE! But yes, I am nervous.

-EarlJam

I've been thinking of 'Nova and NC State as well....on paper if we play Butler 10 times, we win 9. Trouble is...we're only playing them once...tonight, and anything can happen.

If the team that played Saturday shows up tonight, we will be cutting down the nets, no doubt.

One other thing...Butler had a week to prep for Michigan State. They executed their game plan to a T. They had a DAY to prepare
for us. Huge difference.

I'm ready for the game to start now....not sure I can hang on until 9 tonight!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » April 5th, 2010, 12:03 pm

LET'S GO DUKE!!!!!!!
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » April 5th, 2010, 12:46 pm

Devils draw inspiration from their support system

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/04/05/ ... ation.html
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 5th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Tweet of the Day:

Nolan D. Smith (@NdotSmitty)
4/5/10 10:38 AM
Its Gameday!! Yessirrrrr!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 5th, 2010, 1:00 pm

windsor wrote:Tweet of the Day:

Now that's the first real reason why I should start using Twitter.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » April 5th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Lavabe wrote:

Now that's the first real reason why I should start using Twitter.
I follow all of our guys. Nolan tweets the most and can be pretty damn funny.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » April 5th, 2010, 2:25 pm

I think Nolan may have provided the perfect response for a the "need a unique sign for Crazie friend Caroline" thread. The sign should simply read:

"YESSIRRRR!!!"

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 5th, 2010, 3:32 pm

I've reached the "I can no longer focus my brain" level of nerves. I've spent half my day on kenpom reading numbers - and were the game played on his hard drive we'd win in a walk. We've beaten high rated defenses than Butler (WV was rated the same as Butler) and certainly high powered offenses. ...Butler has not played a team with a defense rated as high as ours…their losses came to the only teams they’ve played with similar size to us (although we’re a little big bigger) Twenty seven ways from Thursday, on paper we win..but stranger things have, happened.

If I were K (and heaven knows he’s forgotten more about basketball than I ever hope to know) I would have the guys come out of the blocks with their asses on fire. . My game plan would be to run Butler’s freakin’ socks off in the first 7-8 minutes of the game overplay and trap on defense….pull every rabbit out of every hat to try and get up on them early…Butler is a plodding half court offense…they play slow and deliberate…not a come from behind offense – get a decent lead and you take them out of their game and force them into our tempo (added plus…takes the crowd out) We are a LOT deeper than Butler so the Plumlees and Dre would be coming in early and often. I know our strength is the big three…but I’d be looking for the big bodies to score more. I don’t think they can defend Scheyer, Singler and Smith one on one…someone is going to have to cheat and help out…which is why I think Zoub and/or Pair o’Plumlees could have a monster game. Butler didn't rebound worth shit against MSU - in fact they seemed to not care, they let MSU grab the defensive rebound so Butler could scamper back on D. I’m hoping we’ve drawn up a couple of surprises based on that….in my perfect world with a few minutes left in the first half I would be able to clearly hear Claire & Company cheering “Let’s Go Duke” as the Butler faithful sat in stunned silence. The worst thing we can do is let Butler hang around….a very close game coming in to the final minutes with the home crowd…I don’t like our chances.

6 hours….holy crap I don’t think I can last that long!!

LET'S GO DUKE!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 5th, 2010, 3:39 pm

windsor wrote: If I were K (and heaven knows he’s forgotten more about basketball than I ever hope to know) I would have the guys come out of the blocks with their asses on fire. .
I'd love to see us come out the same way we did against the holes on senior night. Roy's gameplan was to stop the three, and we started off by promptly coming out and dropping two of them back to back.
I'm not nervous yet, just enjoying the day off by reading tons of stuff on the game, really soaking in this for being the rare event that it is. I'll be pretty fired up by game time, it's going to be a night to remember. GO DUKE!!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » April 5th, 2010, 4:52 pm

I've managed to keep a lid on my nerves all day - wearing my "I am a Blue Devil/We are Duke" t-shirt and enjoying how store clerks don't say any more than necessary to me. However, now I'm starting to feel it. And I'm itching for game time. Gotta go find something to keep me busy for a while longer.
GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 5th, 2010, 5:16 pm

I was gonna take a nap this afternoon but I'm tooooo keyed up!
Gonna go out back, on the deck, and run TV cable outdoors, set up the set there...right by the fridge and the beer. It gonna be a beautiful night. The team's ready and so am I! All I need is a catheter :character-oldtimer: and a CHAMPEENSHIP! :pickle:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Miles

Post by Miles » April 5th, 2010, 6:52 pm

Let's Go Duke!!!
sMiles
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » April 5th, 2010, 7:01 pm

My pre game meal is in the oven. It's essentially what I enjoyed on Saturday evening. While the essence of garlic and rosemary floats about the house, I enjoyed a glass of delightful Pinot Grigio. A locale theater is showing the game live in 3D. I decided I don't want to watch the game with a theater full of strangers. My usual plan is to watch alone so that I don't have to be concerned with anyone's doings aside from the team on the screen.

I continue to feel a quiet confidence and know that this will be a special night.