Sad Anniversary

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Sad Anniversary

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 8:57 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:I can only imagine what a wonderful father and grandfather your dad was. You and your family were truly blessed to have him. I know he was also blessed to have all of you. Good memories are wonderful :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
And I hope you and Bud can experience the same with your children and grandchildren. Thank you.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 8:59 am

shereec wrote:DD - what a wonderful tribute to your Dad. It's been 14 years since my own Dad passed away and 7 since we lost Mom - both of them were die-hard Duke fans and brought us up to be proper Dukies. In fact, Mom passed away (after a month in the hospital) in the middle of the 2003 ACC Championship game; we are all convinced that she went straight to Heaven and helped the Blue Devils turn that game around to beat NCSU! I still miss them both so much, but have found that the memories provide many more smiles and wonderful, warm feelings than sadness. May your good memories and love for your Dad help sustain you. I'm sorry I missed this post yesterday, but will hoist one to you and your Dad's memory this evening.
:ymhug:
This stuff is making me tear up again. Great story. Thanks.
ILoveJimmy
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ILoveJimmy » March 29th, 2010, 9:14 am

Dear DD,
I haven't been on CTN for a couple of weeks, but glad I opened it up today to get to read your wonderful tribute to Grandpa. This is the second time you have brought me to tears over a tribute to your Father on CTN. Grandpa would be proud of you but would think himself undeserving of the accolades. He was such a fine and gracious man. He is so missed today and every day.

I'm glad that we got to talk yesterday. I still can't believe my gaffe in saying that there were 5 people visiting the gravesite, although I'm sure Our Favorite Cheerleader was there in spirit!!

Now, because of the beauty and solemnity of your post and this my response to it, I won't even comment on how you did a fair bit of PWing in it. OOOPS, I just did!!

Love and hugs from all of us here in the Land of the Lost (UK that is!!)
ILJ
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 9:22 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm sure he was looking down last night with a huge smile. A hug and vibes for good memories. :ymhug: :wizard:
I hope he had a good view of your painting and the Dogfish Head Black and Blue I quaffed in his honor last PM. Thanks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 9:28 am

bluebeer wrote:Thanks for sharing such a touching post..You and your father were both blessed to have each other...I missed this last night but will be thinking of both of you over a special beer tonight..
Enjoy. Lots of folks have hoisted lots of ales the last day or two for Dad. Thanks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 9:31 am

ILoveJimmy wrote:Dear DD,
I haven't been on CTN for a couple of weeks, but glad I opened it up today to get to read your wonderful tribute to Grandpa. This is the second time you have brought me to tears over a tribute to your Father on CTN. Grandpa would be proud of you but would think himself undeserving of the accolades. He was such a fine and gracious man. He is so missed today and every day.

I'm glad that we got to talk yesterday. I still can't believe my gaffe in saying that there were 5 people visiting the gravesite, although I'm sure Our Favorite Cheerleader was there in spirit!!

Now, because of the beauty and solemnity of your post and this my response to it, I won't even comment on how you did a fair bit of PWing in it. OOOPS, I just did!!

Love and hugs from all of us here in the Land of the Lost (UK that is!!)
ILJ
A special thanks. He was very fond of you and your family. :ymhug: :ymhug:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » March 29th, 2010, 9:42 am

Woefully late to this thread since having just gotten home this morning. But wow! First I read the dedication of last night's game by Nolan to his dad. Then your tribute to yours. A beautiful and powerful way to begin the week. Thank you, Deac. I know we all hope we can leave similar legacies to our own children. Big job. Big shoes to fill.

You are right. It was a terrible year for many of us on the board, but we're all being rewarded for our tenacity and spirit of family. You make us proud to know ya.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 9:51 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Woefully late to this thread since having just gotten home this morning. But wow! First I read the dedication of last night's game by Nolan to his dad. Then your tribute to yours. A beautiful and powerful way to begin the week. Thank you, Deac. I know we all hope we can leave similar legacies to our own children. Big job. Big shoes to fill.

You are right. It was a terrible year for many of us on the board, but we're all being rewarded for our tenacity and spirit of family. You make us proud to know ya.
Love, Ima
A sincere thank you. You and your family are a huge part of this, too. :ymhug:
gadzooks
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by gadzooks » March 29th, 2010, 10:27 am

Dads leave a big hole when they're gone, but it sounds like yours left a wonderful legacy and many happy memories. I can tell you, you'll never stop missing him, but a time will come when remembering him will bring more smiles than tears. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » March 29th, 2010, 10:33 am

Thanks for sharing your story DD. Big hugs from Charlotte.
sMiles
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » March 29th, 2010, 12:46 pm

I've tried to start a reply several times, but wasn't able to complete it..... too many tears.

Your comments about your dad and your relationship with him are beautiful. Reading them always reminds of things I miss about my own dad who was responsible for my knowledge and love of Duke and many other aspects of life. I remember my dad especially around the time of certain athletic events such as the Final Four. Your comments about your dad always make the memories and times a bit easier.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 5:20 pm

gadzooks wrote:Dads leave a big hole when they're gone, but it sounds like yours left a wonderful legacy and many happy memories. I can tell you, you'll never stop missing him, but a time will come when remembering him will bring more smiles than tears. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
It already has. We all cried briefly yesterday but told a lot more funny stories and laughed a bunch more than we cried. Thanks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Miles wrote:Thanks for sharing your story DD. Big hugs from Charlotte.
I'll lift a fine ale in his name with you at a Brunchgate or two in the fall. Thanks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I've tried to start a reply several times, but wasn't able to complete it..... too many tears.

Your comments about your dad and your relationship with him are beautiful. Reading them always reminds of things I miss about my own dad who was responsible for my knowledge and love of Duke and many other aspects of life. I remember my dad especially around the time of certain athletic events such as the Final Four. Your comments about your dad always make the memories and times a bit easier.
I had trouble typing it as the tears I had in my eyes made it a bit difficult to focus on the keyboard. Thank you kindly.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 29th, 2010, 7:05 pm

DD - the good memories are what sustain us. Thank you for sharing. Your parents instilled a love of family in you that will support you and yours all your lives. You are fortunate in the family you have and had.

Last summer, my sister, brother-in-law, and I visited my dad's hometown. We hunted down the waterfall where he used to go as a kid. We looked great making the short hike in our outfits from our cousins wedding but it was worth it to see. We had visited LeRoy just a few months before he passed away. He kicked himself all the rest of the week for not taking the grandkids to see the falls so we made the trip in his honor. Dad stories are the best.
Life is good!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » March 29th, 2010, 10:18 pm

DD, sorry I am late to this thread, but will lift up a special drink for your Dad, you and your family and also in honor of that win yesterday! Woo hooo! What a beautiful tribute and I believe your Dad is looking down on you and is very proud!!!!! :ymhug:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 10:29 pm

cl15876 wrote:DD, sorry I am late to this thread, but will lift up a special drink for your Dad, you and your family and also in honor of that win yesterday! Woo hooo! What a beautiful tribute and I believe your Dad is looking down on you and is very proud!!!!! :ymhug:
Thanks, 8-X . What's your beverage?
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » March 30th, 2010, 1:35 am

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:DD, sorry I am late to this thread, but will lift up a special drink for your Dad, you and your family and also in honor of that win yesterday! Woo hooo! What a beautiful tribute and I believe your Dad is looking down on you and is very proud!!!!! :ymhug:
Thanks, 8-X . What's your beverage?
A tall (22oz) Long Hammer, a tall Hefeweizen, a short Hefeweizen and a couple of corona's! I almost a chimay bomber and didn't get thru all the select brews at Ralph's where I stopped to bring some brews back to the room for tonight and tomorrow, but I cheered y'all as promised! :ymhug:
Miles

Post by Miles » April 5th, 2010, 6:56 pm

Let's Go Duke!!!
sMiles
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 6th, 2010, 9:38 am

devil****, I'm sure your dad would be dancing along with the rest of us, though perhaps he is. And, perhaps he was instrumental along with Derek Smith in our victory last night. :D :D
I worship the Blue Devil!