Sad Anniversary

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Sad Anniversary

Post by devildeac » March 28th, 2010, 9:43 pm

I promise I'll post happier stuff after this, especially on a night like this and this one won't be all negative either. And I am gonna make this kinda stream of consciousness and will not proofread this perfectly so here goes.

Today marks the one year anniversary of my Dad's death and although we have gotten through it for the most part, this week, and today especially, was kinda tough. There were many happy and sad memories that stirred me over the last several days, culminating in a visit with flowers to the gravesite today with our 2 older children. We recalled several Grandpa-isms and many memories of his good deeds and generosity over the last couple decades in particular. He saw our children grow up and he went to HS and college and Master's graduation ceremonies and shared many happy moments in our lives. He died last year while we were visiting my brother and his family in Oregon and probably had been dead for 2 days before friends, neighbors and family figured it out and before our older daughter and his lady friend found him dead in his favorite chair watching TV. He had just finished his dinner as a half eaten granola bar was on the floor and an empty bowl of soup was on his end table. I am almost certain he was watching our regional semi-final game last year as 'nova beat the crap out of his and our beloved Devils. So I will always tell folks that the terrible downturn in the financial world and the Blue Devils killed my father. Only a Duke fan could really appreciate that :(( :(( .

Well, that was on top of Claire's broken foot and 2 surgeries, her auto accident, both our kids losing their jobs, our daughter moving back in with us and surgery for both Joy and me last year. 2009 really, really sucked.

Last year would not have been bearable however if we did not have the prayers, thoughts, vibes, well wishes of our many family members, neighbors, church friends, and of course, all the truly great folks, friends and fellow PWs here at CT. The origin of this site can be traced back to Ima's need for support and for our needs and the fabulous efforts of CB&B who got it up and running. Y'all are great. Thank you with all the sincerity that I possess.

Fast forward to tonight. The memories of Dad are very positive and warm and we all appreciate what he meant to all of us in so many ways. He left us a house and some investments which have recovered to some degree but I'd trade them all back in if he could spend one more day with us. I would have a special beer with him tonight to celebrate the victory, thank him once again for all his memories, gifts and sacrifices for us and join him in just one more chorus of:

GO TO HELL, CAROLINA, GO TO HELL!

Here's another salute to you, Dad. We love you.

Thank you for reading and,

Respectfully, proudly and tearfully submitted as post #6000,

devildeac
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Re: Sad Anniversary

Post by DukeUsul » March 28th, 2010, 9:57 pm

:ymhug:
-- DukeUsul
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 28th, 2010, 10:13 pm

:ymhug: Your 5999th post made me think this must be the anniversary of your father's death. Truly a bittersweet day for you and your family. Vibes and hugs to all of you, and congrats on the milestone post.
:ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 28th, 2010, 10:16 pm

What a beautiful tribute to your dad!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » March 28th, 2010, 10:19 pm

Thanks for the post!
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 28th, 2010, 10:49 pm

I brought one of his Buds with me to Florida. It's in my mom's fridge. I'll have it in his honor tonight when I get there.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 28th, 2010, 11:03 pm

DukeUsul wrote::ymhug:

Right back at ya.

Thanks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 28th, 2010, 11:04 pm

ArkieDukie wrote::ymhug: Your 5999th post made me think this must be the anniversary of your father's death. Truly a bittersweet day for you and your family. Vibes and hugs to all of you, and congrats on the milestone post.
:ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard:
Thank you kindly with many :ymhug: in return.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 28th, 2010, 11:06 pm

CathyCA wrote:What a beautiful tribute to your dad!
That was primarily from my family to Dad but it was also meant to express tons of thanks to all the folks who supported us through a very difficult year, especially the folks here.

More :ymhug: .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 28th, 2010, 11:07 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Thanks for the post!
You are welcome. Hoist a fine ale tonight or tomorrow (or both!) for us and for my Dad. Glad we could meet you earlier this month.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 28th, 2010, 11:08 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I brought one of his Buds with me to Florida. It's in my mom's fridge. I'll have it in his honor tonight when I get there.
He would sincerely appreciate that. Thanks.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 29th, 2010, 6:24 am

devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:Thanks for the post!
You are welcome. Hoist a fine ale tonight or tomorrow (or both!) for us and for my Dad. Glad we could meet you earlier this month.
At 9PM tonight, I will lift a Maison CB&B in your dad's honor. ^:)^ When done with it, I will give a loud version of GTHC, GTH. :-BD
Best wishes,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » March 29th, 2010, 8:07 am

Your father had the lifelong benefit of having a great son.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » March 29th, 2010, 8:15 am

Devild***, you've been in my thoughts this weekend.

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
I worship the Blue Devil!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 29th, 2010, 8:19 am

I can only imagine what a wonderful father and grandfather your dad was. You and your family were truly blessed to have him. I know he was also blessed to have all of you. Good memories are wonderful :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » March 29th, 2010, 8:21 am

DD - what a wonderful tribute to your Dad. It's been 14 years since my own Dad passed away and 7 since we lost Mom - both of them were die-hard Duke fans and brought us up to be proper Dukies. In fact, Mom passed away (after a month in the hospital) in the middle of the 2003 ACC Championship game; we are all convinced that she went straight to Heaven and helped the Blue Devils turn that game around to beat NCSU! I still miss them both so much, but have found that the memories provide many more smiles and wonderful, warm feelings than sadness. May your good memories and love for your Dad help sustain you. I'm sorry I missed this post yesterday, but will hoist one to you and your Dad's memory this evening.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 29th, 2010, 8:26 am

I'm sure he was looking down last night with a huge smile. A hug and vibes for good memories. :ymhug: :wizard:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » March 29th, 2010, 8:41 am

Thanks for sharing such a touching post..You and your father were both blessed to have each other...I missed this last night but will be thinking of both of you over a special beer tonight..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 8:56 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Your father had the lifelong benefit of having a great son.
A sincere thank you.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2010, 8:56 am

TillyGalore wrote:Devild***, you've been in my thoughts this weekend.

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Hugs returned. Thank you.