POLL ---Combined Vibes Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Should there be a combined Vibes thread?

Poll ended at May 20th, 2009, 9:25 pm

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 12
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

POLL ---Combined Vibes Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 15th, 2009, 9:25 pm

It was suggested by a member that we have a combined vibes thread. He had noticed that vibes had been sent to EJ on the LTE, and was concerned about it being a subject lost quickly amongst the ramblings that the LTE is intended for. Here was the reasoning.
"Would it make sense to create a VIBES thread so that people could know more easily when others need help or thoughts?

I'm thinking at least at this point about the subthread of the LTE devoted to vibes for EarlJam. It's buried there, and many folks would like to wish him the best. But also in the future, it might be easier to spot if there was a location (maybe stickied) where we can all check for any CrazieTalker. "

Poll open for 5 days.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: POLL ---Combined Vibes Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 15th, 2009, 10:01 pm

Those voting, please step in with any reasoning pro or con. I think the idea makes lots of sense. For those who don't visit every day, it's easier to keep up with matters of vibes if we have one place to look. I also know that some might be opposed to combined threads of any sorts. I can see that side as well.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 15th, 2009, 10:16 pm

I need to think about this. On the one hand if a there is a general vibe thread stickied the thread won't get lost. On the other hand if there are too many vibes requests and updates someone may miss something within in the vibe thread.

What about family deaths? When one of us loses a family member I think they should have a dedicated thread as that is the ultimate time for vibes.

Just throwing out thoughts. Again, I need to think about this before I vote.
I worship the Blue Devil!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 15th, 2009, 10:52 pm

I voted no. Don't combine threads. Period. Unless they are duplicate topics posted in the same time period, but not for a weekly TV show on different weeks, like Lost.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 15th, 2009, 11:27 pm

You have plenty of time to think about it, 5 days. If you ultimately change your vote, just post that you want to do so. I don't think we can actually change the vote, but we can note your interest. As to Tilly's concern, major events such as deaths would and should have their own thread.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 15th, 2009, 11:39 pm

TillyGalore wrote:I need to think about this. On the one hand if a there is a general vibe thread stickied the thread won't get lost. On the other hand if there are too many vibes requests and updates someone may miss something within in the vibe thread.

What about family deaths? When one of us loses a family member I think they should have a dedicated thread as that is the ultimate time for vibes.

Just throwing out thoughts. Again, I need to think about this before I vote.
Wow Tilly. As I PM'd you the other day, it's SOOOOO good to have you home! :ymhug: :ymhug:

Given our recent experiences, I think we can all agree that one of the attractions of this board is that it allows us to express our condolences to those in need. That's probably when this board is at its greatest. And Tilly, I can't express enough admiration for what you've done with Ima.

Frankly, I don't know how to discuss this one. There's something that my brother-in-law is teaching me in these last two months that I sort of sensed before. His needs now are far more than I ever experienced when I was wondering if I would have a job and could support my family. Ima's ordeal is just WAY different than anything I've ever experienced.

I think there is a class of ordeals (and I wouldn't limit it to the passing of loved ones) that need their special place in our community. In Judaism, certain rituals/traditions are performed for these events. It doesn't mean you stop thinking of anyone else in other times of trial. But there are some events that require special care and handling. I don't think that this special class of events needs to be lumped in with other vibe requests.

The job vibes/family vibes/health vibes that I've received in the last year are in a wholely different category from what I've seen experienced by my brother-in-law, and from what I can only imagine, Ima is going through. I'd like to keep track of both classes of requests. Maybe there's no clear way to define these differences. Although I am torn about this issue, I voted yes because I found myself amazed with the difficulties of following both EarlJam AND Ima. The yes is qualified though, because I also recognize that there's a class of issues that need separate status. I just don't know how to define them. But I think Tilly is onto something.

If anyone can help me wrestle with this one, I'd be greatly appreciative of any discussion you could provide.
Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 16th, 2009, 12:03 am

Lavabe wrote: But there are some events that require special care and handling. I don't think that this special class of events needs to be lumped in with other vibe requests.

The job vibes/family vibes/health vibes that I've received in the last year are in a wholely different category from what I've seen experienced by my brother-in-law, and from what I can only imagine, Ima is going through. I'd like to keep track of both classes of requests. Maybe there's no clear way to define these differences. Although I am torn about this issue, I voted yes because I found myself amazed with the difficulties of following both EarlJam AND Ima. The yes is qualified though, because I also recognize that there's a class of issues that need separate status. I just don't know how to define them. But I think Tilly is onto something.

If anyone can help me wrestle with this one, I'd be greatly appreciative of any discussion you could provide.
Cheers,
Lavabe
From Lavabe's post in the other, now locked, thread. I added it via an edit after posting.

Here's what I did tonight. I thought about EarlJam. I then thought about Ozzie and colchar's vibe requests fairly recently. In both of these cases they were on page 1. And the one I knew who really needs them ... Ima ... is way back where? I had difficulty finding the page. I could not find the thread easily. It was on page 5. Right now we have 9 pages of threads. It will only grow. And the search function didn't bring me easily to the proper page of threads when I searched for a term.

Ozzie, I would argue that it can get more lost in the index of threads than it could ever get lost in one dedicated thread. And as you know, once a thread is off page 1... Well, I think vibes are different. They should be on page 1. The thing is... one would know where to find fellow posters who are going through issues. If one person is in turmoil, okay you can find them easily. Try five or six in different stages of it... it's more difficult.
The problem with the Vibes for EJ is that it was posted in the LTE rather than as a separate thread, so folks who don't read the LTE missed it.

I don't know about other folks, but when most threads get long, and I've missed a day or two, I either stop reading them or jump to the last page skipping all in between. Now if it is something I am interested in, I will read it. But there are several threads on the first page right now that I've never looked at, or just read the first post or two, like the NASCAR thread - not of interest to me. I'm many many pages behind on the Ymm Beer thread. The Ima thread will come back to the top when Ima (or someone) posts new info in it, so falling to page 5 for a day or two isn't that big a deal. And you're right, I don't think 99% of us have experienced an illness of the type that Sarah has, and hopefully none of us ever will. Vibes for temporary conditions, like my ankle, well they'll fall away forever into oblivion.

The LTE is a different creature, and it has been since it was created on the DBR (thank you, BD!). It's a great place for miscellaneous posting of random topics.

As a rule, I don't like combining threads, and I don't like a mod merging a new or different "headline" into a thread that has been dead for weeks or months, like they do on the DBR. For example, if and when John Walls actually shows up at some school in late August, that should get a new thread, not be added to the 55,000 post existing Wall thread, sort of like the pre and post game threads on the EK board.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 16th, 2009, 1:14 am

I voted no to combined threads so we can read about each others needs separately and not have to search through pages of requests. If we do them individually, perhaps we can agree on a time limit of a week or two (barring special requests) and then have the thread fade away to page 10 or 20 or farther or have a policy that it will be locked (but not deleted :roll: ) after X days.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 16th, 2009, 1:35 am

devildeac wrote:I voted no to combined threads so we can read about each others needs separately and not have to search through pages of requests. If we do them individually, perhaps we can agree on a time limit of a week or two (barring special requests) and then have the thread fade away to page 10 or 20 or farther or have a policy that it will be locked (but not deleted :roll: ) after X days.
Well, all threads fade away naturally. I definitely wouldn't want to lock the threads, it's important for involved parties and well wishers to post updates. Locking only happens when a thread has served it's purpose, and then veered off towards completely non related matters, such as the dbr naming thread had done recently.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » May 16th, 2009, 1:55 pm

devildeac wrote:I voted no to combined threads so we can read about each others needs separately and not have to search through pages of requests. If we do them individually, perhaps we can agree on a time limit of a week or two (barring special requests) and then have the thread fade away to page 10 or 20 or farther or have a policy that it will be locked (but not deleted :roll: ) after X days.
What he said, minus the locking after a certain time, b/c that might prevent the original vibe recipient from using the thread to update on status/outcome. For a recent example, see RMD's thread on Albuquerque.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 17th, 2009, 1:00 am

I haven't chimed in on this yet because I have mixed feelings about it. I see where both ways could work. I'm still thinking on it. :-B
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 19th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Since this has now fallen to the second page, and the vote margin is very much in favor of not having combined threads, I think we should state that there won't be any. That being said, be careful where you post. If you have something important to say, I'd suggest not putting it in the LTE, it will get lost quickly. You won't offend anybody by starting a new thread with a new idea. If it garners little interest it will fade away, but at least everyone will have the opportunity to view it.
Thanks to Ozzie for raising a flag quickly on the merged thread that I started, we should have done the poll first. Chalk it up to another lesson learned, and an example of why and how Crazietalk works as a community.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 19th, 2009, 10:28 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Since this has now fallen to the second page, and the vote margin is very much in favor of not having combined threads, I think we should state that there won't be any. That being said, be careful where you post. If you have something important to say, I'd suggest not putting it in the LTE, it will get lost quickly. You won't offend anybody by starting a new thread with a new idea. If it garners little interest it will fade away, but at least everyone will have the opportunity to view it.
Thanks to Ozzie for raising a flag quickly on the merged thread that I started, we should have done the poll first. Chalk it up to another lesson learned, and an example of why and how Crazietalk works as a community.
You are welcome! You have made a wise decision, o exalted one! :D