Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by bluebeer » May 15th, 2009, 9:49 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:I picked up some good stuff today. First a bottle of 2009 Avery Samael's Oak Aged Strong Ale. I still have several 2008 bottles stowed away, so I'll do a comparison at some point. Off the bat, '09 is a bit more potent (16.5% instead of 15.5%). I also got a bottle of 2009 Reserve Deschutes Mirror Mirror Barley Wine. This beer was last produced in 2006 and they suggest not drinking this bottle before April 2010. Of course, I'll crack it before then and will pick up another to store. Finally, I got a bottle of Rochefort Trappist 10. This is a trippel (and, for some odd reason, more abundant than the 6, which is VERY hard to find) ale from one of the oldest breweries on earth. It's also one of the very best beers you'll find. It's brewed at a monastery in southern Belgium in which 15 highly reclusive monks live.

That brings me to a question: any of our esteemed beer drinkers here ever done a tour of the trappist breweries? There are only seven remaining (6 in Belgium and 1 in Holland) and their story is pretty cool (do a wikipedia search if you're interested; very cool stuff!). I would love to do such a trip. Rochefort doesn't do brewery tours, but you can tour the grounds of the monastery, which is really all I'd want to do.
Rochefort is excellent..I've never had the 6 although it is readily available near me..The 10 is in my top 5 though I do probably prefer its "imitation" non-trappist peer, St. Bernardus Abt 12. My sister and brother in law are considering moving to Belgium and I've been pushing them mainly to go visit and abbey touring. What I really want to try is the Westvletern, which you can only buy at the monastery itself..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 16th, 2009, 1:01 am

rockymtn devil wrote:I picked up some good stuff today. First a bottle of 2009 Avery Samael's Oak Aged Strong Ale. I still have several 2008 bottles stowed away, so I'll do a comparison at some point. Off the bat, '09 is a bit more potent (16.5% instead of 15.5%). I also got a bottle of 2009 Reserve Deschutes Mirror Mirror Barley Wine. This beer was last produced in 2006 and they suggest not drinking this bottle before April 2010. Of course, I'll crack it before then and will pick up another to store. Finally, I got a bottle of Rochefort Trappist 10. This is a trippel (and, for some odd reason, more abundant than the 6, which is VERY hard to find) ale from one of the oldest breweries on earth. It's also one of the very best beers you'll find. It's brewed at a monastery in southern Belgium in which 15 highly reclusive monks live.

That brings me to a question: any of our esteemed beer drinkers here ever done a tour of the trappist breweries? There are only seven remaining (6 in Belgium and 1 in Holland) and their story is pretty cool (do a wikipedia search if you're interested; very cool stuff!). I would love to do such a trip. Rochefort doesn't do brewery tours, but you can tour the grounds of the monastery, which is really all I'd want to do.
Samael-marvelous
Deschutes-a really fine brewery. I have never had any of their reserve ales. I think they started brewing these after our trips to Oregon decreased dramatically when my parents moved from Gresham to Raleigh.
Haven't had a Rochefort for years. I have given a brief thought to touring the trappist breweries and I knew there were 7 and at one time I could name them all-I think.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 16th, 2009, 1:06 am

bluebear wrote:

Rochefort is excellent..I've never had the 6 although it is readily available near me..The 10 is in my top 5 though I do probably prefer its "imitation" non-trappist peer, St. Bernardus Abt 12. My sister and brother in law are considering moving to Belgium and I've been pushing them mainly to go visit and abbey touring. What I really want to try is the Westvletern, which you can only buy at the monastery itself..
OOhh, I have a 750 ml bottle of the St. Bernardus 12 I have cellared for a year. You have inspired me to consume it soon. :D

The Westvletern has been available outside the monastery as I have a pilot friend who just retired from American who used to fly to Belgium who bought me a couple bottles of this about 2 years ago. Very hard to find and expensive but it was a phenomenal ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 18th, 2009, 8:19 am

WHAT? No new tastings for 2 nights? :roll:
I'll have to admit, it was some leftovers for me Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Anyone want to hear about the NC Commemorative Fat Tire bomber? :oops: :roll:
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » May 18th, 2009, 8:39 am

devildeac wrote:WHAT? No new tastings for 2 nights? :roll:
yes, please...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » May 18th, 2009, 8:53 am

It was an Avery weekend for me...
Fri/Sat--Avery Maharaja--Double IPA..Extremely hoppy brew with very little malt balance. The strength of the citrusy hops made me feel like I was drinking grapefruit juice at times. Not overly bitter, however..A very dry double IPA. While I enjoyed the first half of the bomber on friday, I found that the second half on saturday was a little more mellow and even better.

Sun--Avery The Kaiser---Imperial Octoberfest...Overall, this tasted as I expected it would with a heavy malt presence. It was fairly sweet though not overwhelmingly so.. I found it to be a little thinner than expected for this style of beer though still enjoyable. Most surprising was how mild and easy drinking this was despite the 10% ABV. Very little alcohol taste. I split the bomber with my wife but could easily have pounded a bomber or 2 before paying the price.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 18th, 2009, 9:11 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:WHAT? No new tastings for 2 nights? :roll:
yes, please...
As you requested...

I asked almost sheepishly as I think there have been a few reviews on "Ymm, beer" and I was hesitant about repeating. However, always willing to submit another post... :oops: ;)

As some of you are aware, NB now distributes in NC, but only as bombers so far with Fat Tire, 1554 and Mothership Wit being represented. This is a good start as they have some other brews that are really fine also as rmd will attest.

Fat Tire is an excellent example of an amber ale. Golden-brown in color, clean and crisp. I'd guess several malts like crystal and caramel and lightly hopped with minimal bitterness and good balance. A pleasnt aroma of freshly baked and slighly browned biscuits with a taste to match. Perhaps a bit of caramel or dark honey taste (none added) with that biscuit. IBU would be 30-40 I'd guess and the ABV is 5.2% so I could enjoy the whole bomber while working in the garage for a couple hours last evening. :D Serve chilled but not under 45 degrees so some of the toastiness can be enjoyed. Add some crackers and medium taste/body cheeses and your evening is set. This would be good with some lighter fare off the grill but might not hold up to spicy/heavily seasoned grillings.

I still like rmd's comment the best when he said (trusting memory here): "all bun without the burger." Overall, I really do enjoy this beer a couple times a year and REALLY hope the NB folks start sending some more variety to NC, especially their Abbey Ale, the Tripple, Frambozen and 2 Below, their winter ale. I can hold my breath for their La Folie and other 750 ml bottlings but I think I'd be a much deeper shade of blue than I'd like before I ever see them here in Raleigh. :(
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 18th, 2009, 10:56 pm

All bun and no burger is right--that beer is too bready for me. New Belgium is a consistently good brewery. Nothing they make is going to blow your socks off, but they generally don't disappoint. Plus they are wind-powered which is just cool.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

rockymtn devil wrote:All bun and no burger is right--that beer is too bready for me. New Belgium is a consistently good brewery. Nothing they make is going to blow your socks off, but they generally don't disappoint. Plus they are wind-powered which is just cool.
I respectfully beg to differ. I love Fat Tire, and am so excited to finally have it in Georgia that I can't sit still. I'll be interested to know how well my fascination holds up now that acquiring Fat Tire is no longer a Prohibition-style quest.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 20th, 2009, 10:11 pm

OK, BTTT

CB&B has done it again, this time with his HP, or Honey Pale Ale, IIRC, from Spring Brunchgate and my memory. A bit less hoppy than I would have imagined but quite pleasant and smooth. Floral aromas and tastes with a bit of sweetness from the honey and light bodied malts. Golden pour with a modest retained head. A nice pair with chicken or fish off the grill and a nice session brew, too, with about 40-50 IBU and I'd guess 5% ABV. This is about 30 days post-Brunchgate so I'd guess about 60 days after bottling. I'll gladly have another next month.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 20th, 2009, 10:12 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:All bun and no burger is right--that beer is too bready for me. New Belgium is a consistently good brewery. Nothing they make is going to blow your socks off, but they generally don't disappoint. Plus they are wind-powered which is just cool.
Do you like bocks and double bocks?
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 20th, 2009, 10:14 pm

devildeac wrote:OK, BTTT

CB&B has done it again, this time with his HP, or Honey Pale Ale, .... A nice pair with chicken ....
Funny you mention chicken! :-bd I have 1 in my fridge! I, grasshopper, concur with the masters! ;)
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 20th, 2009, 11:37 pm

devildeac wrote:
I do, but the caramel sweetness of a bock balances out the yeast nicely. I'm not sure I've ever had a double bock.

Tonight I cracked open the bottle of Deschutes Mirror Mirror Reserve Barley Wine. It's recommended that you let this beer sit for another year, but I need to drink it now so I can compare future bottles. It pours a very nice copper orange color and is fully opaque. There is little to no head and I the beer won't regenerate any with a swirl. The nose is surprisingly rich and creamy and not all that hoppy. It smells like caramel and honey. The flavor has a solid bitterness to it, but again doesn't overwhelm. It also has nice rich butter and vanilla notes from the oak and a sweet, tartness of a sour mash or bourbon. Delicious. I can't wait to try it again in a year :D
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 20th, 2009, 11:57 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I do, but the caramel sweetness of a bock balances out the yeast nicely. I'm not sure I've ever had a double bock.

Tonight I cracked open the bottle of Deschutes Mirror Mirror Reserve Barley Wine. It's recommended that you let this beer sit for another year, but I need to drink it now so I can compare future bottles. It pours a very nice copper orange color and is fully opaque. There is little to no head and I the beer won't regenerate any with a swirl. The nose is surprisingly rich and creamy and not all that hoppy. It smells like caramel and honey. The flavor has a solid bitterness to it, but again doesn't overwhelm. It also has nice rich butter and vanilla notes from the oak and a sweet, tartness of a sour mash or bourbon. Delicious. I can't wait to try it again in a year :D
Ooh, you need to find a couple then. Sam Adams Imperial Bock might be a nice place to start. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 21st, 2009, 2:38 pm

devildeac wrote:OK, BTTT

CB&B has done it again, this time with his HP, or Honey Pale Ale, IIRC, from Spring Brunchgate and my memory. A bit less hoppy than I would have imagined but quite pleasant and smooth. Floral aromas and tastes with a bit of sweetness from the honey and light bodied malts. Golden pour with a modest retained head. A nice pair with chicken or fish off the grill and a nice session brew, too, with about 40-50 IBU and I'd guess 5% ABV. This is about 30 days post-Brunchgate so I'd guess about 60 days after bottling. I'll gladly have another next month.
Glad you liked it, that was a favorite, and one I think I managed to write down the ingredients for. Now that my AC is fixed, I will be brewing my last batch soon, maybe this weekend. It will basically be avery grain that I have left going in the pot, using a high gravity yeast.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 21st, 2009, 9:50 pm

CB&B's 60 Day Dunno But It's Good Beer-Probably not much different than the 30 day review. A porter that's a bit on the light side but only in color. The flavors are mild milk chocolate and a hint of coffee and the hops are mild and balance nicely. I'd guess the ABU at 40-50 and the ABV at 5-6%. A good beverage with burgers, stews and ribs. I may have 1 left to review mid-June and I'll be looking forward to it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 23rd, 2009, 8:14 pm

OK, I'm calling rmd and bluebear out here. I bought a 6er of cans of Oskar Chub Blues Scottish Ale today at Total Wine, last one in the house, and they were out of the pale ale. This had better be good guys. I'm counting on some old reviews I remember one or both of you wrote. ;) :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » May 23rd, 2009, 10:20 pm

devildeac wrote:OK, I'm calling rmd and bluebear out here. I bought a 6er of cans of Oskar Chub Blues Scottish Ale today at Total Wine, last one in the house, and they were out of the pale ale. This had better be good guys. I'm counting on some old reviews I remember one or both of you wrote. ;) :D
I've definitely had old chub(I have 4 cans in my cupboard) but can't remember if I ever review it. I like it...not as good as alesmith wee heavy or founders dirty bastard but a good scotch ale. I think a little milder than others. What do you think? Speaking f oskar blues, I've partaken in several gordons this week..great stuff. Tonight it is La fin du monde..a review to come tomorrow
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 24th, 2009, 2:15 pm

CB&B's Cherry Dunkel-Just as the name says, dark and cherrilicious (I made that up :oops: :roll: :lol: ). Dark brown, clean and not cloudy. A bit nutty and milk chocolatey and more like a brown ale than a porter. Malts dominate here with minimal bitterness. Smooth and almost silky. The cherry taste is very subtle, almost imperceptible, which I enjoyed, instead of being overpowered by fruit. Tasted at about 60 days since brewing, I think. IBU at 30-40 perhaps and ABV probably 5%. I'll have the last one of the two I traded for in another 30 days. BBQ fowl or pig or cow would make a nice match. Almost had it with a piece of a giant CCC for dessert last PM but enjoyed it by its lonesome.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 24th, 2009, 4:52 pm

devildeac wrote:CB&B's Cherry Dunkel-Just as the name says, dark and cherrilicious (I made that up :oops: :roll: :lol: ). Dark brown, clean and not cloudy. A bit nutty and milk chocolatey and more like a brown ale than a porter. Malts dominate here with minimal bitterness. Smooth and almost silky. The cherry taste is very subtle, almost imperceptible, which I enjoyed, instead of being overpowered by fruit. Tasted at about 60 days since brewing, I think. IBU at 30-40 perhaps and ABV probably 5%. I'll have the last one of the two I traded for in another 30 days. BBQ fowl or pig or cow would make a nice match. Almost had it with a piece of a giant CCC for dessert last PM but enjoyed it by its lonesome.
This has been a hit and miss bottle brew. Unfortunately mostly miss. I don't know why, but the majority of what I've opened I just haven't liked, something is off in it. Happily, I found a lost case of the honey pale which I am now enjoying, as I brew my mega mystery beer on the porch. 15.5 pounds of grain and 14 gallons of spring water will be consolidated down to 5 gallons of brew, and a high gravity yeast. To do it I'm doing two full brewings with 120 minute boils. I'll give the ingredients list much later tonight when I'm done. I figure all told this will be at least a 10 hour experience.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.