VIBES for....

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

VIBES for....

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 15th, 2009, 8:40 pm

This thread is the dedicated vibes thread. On occasion our members have situations that the rest of us like to show our support for, and this thread should be used for such expressions. Some of us are not as frequent visitors as others, and subjects can be quickly moved down the ladder, including vibes sent. At least if maintained in one thread, we as a community can more easily keep up with the progress of the vibees.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: VIBES for....

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 15th, 2009, 8:42 pm

Vibes going out to EJ. I was just catching up on the LTE and read Wilson's comments. Best wishes on getting past whatever ails you my friend.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 15th, 2009, 9:15 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:This thread is the dedicated vibes thread. On occasion our members have situations that the rest of us like to show our support for, and this thread should be used for such expressions. Some of us are not as frequent visitors as others, and subjects can be quickly moved down the ladder, including vibes sent. At least if maintained in one thread, we as a community can more easily keep up with the progress of the vibees.
Um, isn't having threads combined one of the things most of us HATE about what the mods do on the DBR. I know I can't stand it. And for vibes, how are we going to know there is someone new if it isn't the headline? I vote please don't do this.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 15th, 2009, 9:21 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:This thread is the dedicated vibes thread. On occasion our members have situations that the rest of us like to show our support for, and this thread should be used for such expressions. Some of us are not as frequent visitors as others, and subjects can be quickly moved down the ladder, including vibes sent. At least if maintained in one thread, we as a community can more easily keep up with the progress of the vibees.
Um, isn't having threads combined one of the things most of us HATE about what the mods do on the DBR. I know I can't stand it. And for vibes, how are we going to know there is someone new if it isn't the headline? I vote please don't do this.
I'm putting this thread on hold while we vote. This thread was done on a suggestion from another member.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 15th, 2009, 9:24 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: And for vibes, how are we going to know there is someone new if it isn't the headline? I vote please don't do this.

I have to agree with Ozzie on this one. Requests for vibes getting lost in a longer thread immediately popped into my mind when I read this thread.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 15th, 2009, 10:43 pm

colchar wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: And for vibes, how are we going to know there is someone new if it isn't the headline? I vote please don't do this.
I have to agree with Ozzie on this one. Requests for vibes getting lost in a longer thread immediately popped into my mind when I read this thread.
Funny, but in your response colchar, I thought you were justifying a vibes thread. The request for vibes/thoughts for EJam was lost in the LTE. And as we know, things can get very hidden in that thread.

I see Ozzie's point, but wouldn't we see if there was someone new by checking to see the latest entry, as we do with any thread that we follow? If it's a sticky (on page 1), it would be up front for people to see, to keep in people's thoughts (and not get lost on page 5), and for people to check up on over the course of time. Finally, another simple thing people could do in such large threads is ... changing the subject header in their posts. For example, if Ozzie needs vibes, and the most recent person needing vibes is Lavabe, simply enter something into the subject header like VIBES FOR OZZIE. That would be a quick way for the reader to see if things are changing.

Here's what I did tonight. I thought about EarlJam. I then thought about Ozzie and colchar's vibe requests fairly recently. In both of these cases they were on page 1. And the one I knew who really needs them ... Ima ... is way back where? I had difficulty finding the page. I could not find the thread easily. It was on page 5. Right now we have 9 pages of threads. It will only grow. And the search function didn't bring me easily to the proper page of threads when I searched for a term.

Ozzie, I would argue that it can get more lost in the index of threads than it could ever get lost in one dedicated thread. And as you know, once a thread is off page 1... Well, I think vibes are different. They should be on page 1. The thing is... one would know where to find fellow posters who are going through issues. If one person is in turmoil, okay you can find them easily. Try five or six in different stages of it... it's more difficult.

I voted yes for the Vibe thread. I think something like that can work. I do, however, respect what Ozzie and colchar have offered.

Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 15th, 2009, 11:04 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Funny, but in your response colchar, I thought you were justifying a vibes thread. The request for vibes/thoughts for EJam was lost in the LTE. And as we know, things can get very hidden in that thread.
Yeah, I realize that the vibes for EJ kind of got lost in that thread but I think that was more a product of how the subject came up than anything else. If we simply took care to post dedicated threads whenever vibes were needed I think we'd avoid any future problems.

Here's what I did tonight. I thought about EarlJam. I then thought about Ozzie and colchar's vibe requests fairly recently. In both of these cases they were on page 1. And the one I knew who really needs them ... Ima ... is way back where? I had difficulty finding the page. I could not find the thread easily. It was on page 5. Right now we have 9 pages of threads. It will only grow. And the search function didn't bring me easily to the proper page of threads when I searched for a term.
Valid points.
Ozzie, I would argue that it can get more lost in the index of threads than it could ever get lost in one dedicated thread. And as you know, once a thread is off page 1... Well, I think vibes are different. They should be on page 1. The thing is... one would know where to find fellow posters who are going through issues. If one person is in turmoil, okay you can find them easily. Try five or six in different stages of it... it's more difficult.
Again, a valid point. I just think that making a point of posting dedicated vibes threads might be a better idea. Then again, I can also see a vibe thread ending up being bounced off the front page on a day during which we are particularly active in posting new threads so that raises concerns such as those you expressed in the paragraph above. And the last thing we want is for anyone here who is in any kind of turmoil to go without the support of their friends.

I'm going to have to think about this one a bit more before making a final decision on where I stand.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 15th, 2009, 11:24 pm

sorry, thought I locked this while we vote. It's locked for now at least temporarily.