College Courses You Wish You Had Taken

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: College Courses You Wish You Had Taken

Post by captmojo » May 15th, 2009, 6:00 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
wilson wrote:
Yeah, I missed graduating cum laude by not much at all.
I'm still pissed that I drank those last 600 or so beers.
I've heard that beer can cause you to piss.
You don't really buy beer, you just rent it.

There is no whizzing emoticon
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » May 15th, 2009, 7:55 pm

Nothing that I really wish I had taken. One class that I loved and think everyone at Duke should take is Magic, Science and Religion with Thomas Robisheaux. I also took a Chaucer seminar that was fantastic, although I forget who taught it.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 15th, 2009, 11:29 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Nothing that I really wish I had taken. One class that I loved and think everyone at Duke should take is Magic, Science and Religion with Thomas Robisheaux. I also took a Chaucer seminar that was fantastic, although I forget who taught it.
Robicheaux is pretty overrated.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 17th, 2009, 6:39 pm

wilson wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:Nothing that I really wish I had taken. One class that I loved and think everyone at Duke should take is Magic, Science and Religion with Thomas Robisheaux. I also took a Chaucer seminar that was fantastic, although I forget who taught it.
Nonetheless, I enjoyed the class. And he wrote one of my law school reference letters, so I'm biased.

The one class I wish I hadn't taken at Duke was my freshman seminar on innovation and technology with I.B. Holly. Professor Holly was a very nice man, but he couldn't hear a thing so for two and a half hours on Monday evenings we all had to shout when called on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 17th, 2009, 6:42 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
wilson wrote:
Nonetheless, I enjoyed the class. And he wrote one of my law school reference letters, so I'm biased.

The one class I wish I hadn't taken at Duke was my freshman seminar on innovation and technology with I.B. Holly. Professor Holly was a very nice man, but he couldn't hear a thing so for two and a half hours on Monday evenings we all had to shout when called on.
I understand your feelings about Robicheaux...he is a very nice guy, and I imagine his class would be enjoyable.

As for Irving B. Holley...hilarious. I took that very same seminar with him my first semester at Duke, and I know exactly what you're talking about. Example: One day, we got to talking about Charles Lindbergh, and he said something to the effect of, "Ah yes, I remember that...I was 8."
'Nuff said.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » May 17th, 2009, 7:02 pm

Ok, I'm throwing this out there. The class I wish I'd taken was... Circus.

No, I'm not kidding. Get up off the floor now.

I went to NYU. There was a class called Circus, in Tisch (School of the Arts) I believe. It consisted of juggling, trapeze, clowning :o) , and the like (no live animals :(|) ). It traditionally was the first class to fill during EVERY registration period. Even if you were a senior, if you didn't have a good registration time, fuggedaboutit.

It was an elective, but yes, you actually got credit for it. 2 credits (we worked on a 4 credit/class system), IIRC. I checked the NYU website, and couldn't find it, so I'm guessing it's not offered anymore. Then again, it was a while back.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 17th, 2009, 9:25 pm

wilson wrote: As for Irving B. Holley...hilarious. I took that very same seminar with him my first semester at Duke, and I know exactly what you're talking about. Example: One day, we got to talking about Charles Lindbergh, and he said something to the effect of, "Ah yes, I remember that...I was 8."
'Nuff said.
Does he still teach? I had that class in the fall of 2000 and he was, as I'm sure you can guess, very elderly then. I can't imagine he would be capable of teaching now.

He also gave vocabulary quizzes in which he would pick random words from our readings to make sure we looked them up. Who does that?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 17th, 2009, 10:22 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
...Does he still teach? I had that class in the fall of 2000 and he was, as I'm sure you can guess, very elderly then. I can't imagine he would be capable of teaching now...
...and we've officially made an embarrassingly late, really weird connection. That's also when I had that class. Go into Carr, make a right, first door on the left. Monday evenings, two and a half hours. Real bitch after the "fall back" thing, because it would be daylight when we walked in and the dead of night when we got out.

Methinks a series of PM's is in order here.