Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 25th, 2010, 5:45 pm

bluebear wrote:Great reviews..I had part of one the other day along with Stone IRS and Ten Fidy and Old Rasputin is definitely the boldest of the 3. Big roasted flavor and I picked up a lot of espresso. The Stone and Oscar Blues were both sweeter and a bit smoother overall. I like all 3 nearly equally but for very different reasons. I have a bottle of barrel aged rasputin in my basement and would like to compare it to the regular at some point..
I'd have to compare the 3 side by side..but Ten Fidy is pretty memorable. It might be more because of the can, but that brew is one of my favorites.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 25th, 2010, 5:46 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bluebear wrote:Great reviews..I had part of one the other day along with Stone IRS and Ten Fidy and Old Rasputin is definitely the boldest of the 3. Big roasted flavor and I picked up a lot of espresso. The Stone and Oscar Blues were both sweeter and a bit smoother overall. I like all 3 nearly equally but for very different reasons. I have a bottle of barrel aged rasputin in my basement and would like to compare it to the regular at some point..
I'd have to compare the 3 side by side..but Ten Fidy is pretty memorable. It might be more because of the can, but that brew is one of my favorites.
I'd agree and my son thought it was dee-licious, too. He really likes the BBCS in that category. A lot.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » February 25th, 2010, 9:37 pm

devildeac wrote: $$$ vs $ would be my 1st comparison. :(( :((
Yeah, the BA rasputin is pricey..one of a few splurge beers last year..holding off opening for a special occasion.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » February 25th, 2010, 9:46 pm

devildeac wrote:
I'd agree and my son thought it was dee-licious, too. He really likes the BBCS in that category. A lot.
BBCS is really really good too..there are a lot of great stouts..hard to pick a favorite.
My brother in law has a lead on a bottle of Kate the Great which is the big imperial stout by Portsmouth Brewery (linked to Smuttynose). They are releasing it on monday in what ends up being a big event up here. Hoping to get a taste of that one..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » February 25th, 2010, 9:48 pm

You just don't expect such a great beer in a can..Oscar Blues has a new brew, Gubna, an IIPA, coming out in the next few months..given the rest of their beers, sure to be another winner..
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » February 25th, 2010, 9:55 pm

DD - sounds like we need your P cups! LOL! =))
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 26th, 2010, 8:56 am

bluebear wrote:
Yeah, the BA rasputin is pricey..one of a few splurge beers last year..holding off opening for a special occasion.
Like, say, two Duke victories in Indianapolis this April? B-) B-) B-) B-) B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » February 26th, 2010, 10:05 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bluebear wrote:
I can't think of a better thing to celebrate..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 26th, 2010, 12:58 pm

bluebear wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bluebear wrote: Yeah, the BA rasputin is pricey..one of a few splurge beers last year..holding off opening for a special occasion.
I can't think of a better thing to celebrate..
That's what I'm saving my Dogfish 120 and Avery Samael's for.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 26th, 2010, 4:53 pm

bluebear wrote:
You just don't expect such a great beer in a can..Oscar Blues has a new brew, Gubna, an IIPA, coming out in the next few months..given the rest of their beers, sure to be another winner..
I've got Gordon which I hope to taste soon. It's an imperial red ale and rmd may have reviewed it some months ago.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 26th, 2010, 4:53 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bluebear wrote:
That would work!
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » February 26th, 2010, 9:55 pm

devildeac wrote: I've got Gordon which I hope to taste soon. It's an imperial red ale and rmd may have reviewed it some months ago.
Gordon is excellent..I always thought it was an IIPA but you are quite correct about it being an imperial red. There was an OB rep doing a tasting at my local store a few weeks back and in addition to alerting me about Gubna he corrected me on Gordon..He said that Gordon was only about 60 IBUs and Gubna will be ~100..great brewery..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 27th, 2010, 1:01 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote: I've got Gordon which I hope to taste soon. It's an imperial red ale and rmd may have reviewed it some months ago.
Gordon is excellent..I always thought it was an IIPA but you are quite correct about it being an imperial red. There was an OB rep doing a tasting at my local store a few weeks back and in addition to alerting me about Gubna he corrected me on Gordon..He said that Gordon was only about 60 IBUs and Gubna will be ~100..great brewery..
I visited their web site and read about the new beer I bought ;) :ymblushing: . I haven't sampled it yet. =p~
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 27th, 2010, 10:53 am

Maharaja-2008 edition-Quite a difference an extra year makes. This monster is 102 IBU and 10.2% ABV or something on that order of magnitude. I remember consuming one from a few years ago shortly after purchase and found it as expected-brutal on the palate and vertical well-being. After a couple years in the bottle in the cellar, it's still highly hopped (grapefruity) and massively malty but considerably smoother on the tastebuds. Bottle-conditioned so it is a cloudy yellow-orange with a modest head. There are some herbal and piney notes and it is very slightly whiskey-ish/boozey. A nice evening drink (I split the bomber over 2 nights) with sharp, pungent cheeses or a spicy entree. When you find this, buy two bottles and enjoy one soon and stick the other in a cellar/closet and re-discover it in a year or two.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 27th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Found Nemesis at a small wine and beer shop in J'ville, NC this afternoon during a little beer hunting with CB&B. :D :D

Note to CB&B: I'll save that 4th Nemesis for you. Promise.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 27th, 2010, 5:27 pm

devildeac wrote:Found Nemesis at a small wine and beer shop in J'ville, NC this afternoon during a little beer hunting with CB&B. :D :D

HA! I was thinking about that on the way back. At least you'll keep it longer than I would. It's like having a beer savings account. =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 27th, 2010, 5:28 pm

For CB&B, bluebear and rmd:

http://foundersbrewing.com/founders/ind ... &Itemid=66

Wonder where one can find the IBU and ABV...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 27th, 2010, 5:29 pm

devildeac wrote:Found Nemesis at a small wine and beer shop in J'ville, NC this afternoon during a little beer hunting with CB&B. :D :D

HA! I was thinking about that on the way back. At least you'll keep it longer than I would. It's like having a beer savings account. =))
Don't count on it earning any interest however...

:)) :))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 27th, 2010, 8:20 pm

Retro Red-Fort Collins Brewing-nice session brew with a light, reddish-brown hue, good head and slightly sweet, malty palate. Think Killians here with a bit of a hop bite at about 32 IBU and ABV 5.4%. Good burger brew or grilled chicken or even with a peppery steak.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 27th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Mojo Risin' IIPA-Boulder Brewing-Their 6th release in their Looking Glass series. IDK what the other 5 were :ymblushing: . Pours a slightly golden-yellow with a small head. I thought it was a bit sour to go along with the significant bitterness and didn't find it that appealing. But, having perused their web site a bit, now I understand why. It is brewed with wheat malt in addition to massive amounts of barley to blast up the ABV to 10%. Centennial and Amarillo hops impart a fairly typical grapefruit taste here. I'd guess the IBU to be 80-90. Serve this with some spicy-hot salsa on a slab of grilled fish or a peppery chicken dish. I still like the 90 Minute and Double Trouble better but this is worth a try. CB&B got one of these in his trader today so I'll be interested in his thoughts if he can ever find time to drink it. :)) =))