Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by cl15876 » February 2nd, 2010, 11:36 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm not reviewing it...it's been done. I'm just stating that I'm opening a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. I've had it for a few weeks now, waiting for a good occasion. I'm painting something everyone will like tonight..so off with it's top. :D
Gosh, I hope IT IS NOT A BUD LIGHT! I'll give you a wire, flash bulb and VDB's Bud holding it and it will be much better than some P water in a bottle! :p :tease:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 3rd, 2010, 8:40 am

cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm not reviewing it...it's been done. I'm just stating that I'm opening a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. I've had it for a few weeks now, waiting for a good occasion. I'm painting something everyone will like tonight..so off with it's top. :D
Gosh, I hope IT IS NOT A BUD LIGHT! I'll give you a wire, flash bulb and VDB's Bud holding it and it will be much better than some P water in a bottle! :p :tease:
=)) :-ss =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » February 3rd, 2010, 10:17 am

captmojo wrote:
devildeac wrote:Sierra Nevada Glissade-a golden bock-Yep, it's a lager; pale yellow-gold in color with all the breadiness of a lightly toasted croissant, with a bit of butter. Lightly hopped with the typical light caramel tastes you'd expect. It's a bit early for spring but couldn't pass up this new brew in Harris Teeter of all places. I'd guess the IBU to be 20 or so and the ABV is 6.4%, pretty standard for a bock and just right for the 1st half of the Duke-Wake Foulfest game tonight. Hey CB&B and 8-X , you'll be seeing one of these in your upcoming traders. :D :-*
I bought two sixers of this 2 weeks ago, found at a Food Lion.
I searched the thread for a review just now, finding the above. Quite accurate. I was impressed with this offering. Tasty.
Bought a six pack last night at my local beer place. I agree with everything already mentioned, but have to add that it is a "pretty" beer in the glass ( a Sam Adams glass), my wife mentioned how it looked, This will be even better as the temperature around here gets more acceptable.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 3rd, 2010, 11:02 am

ohioguy2 wrote:
captmojo wrote:
devildeac wrote:Sierra Nevada Glissade-a golden bock-Yep, it's a lager; pale yellow-gold in color with all the breadiness of a lightly toasted croissant, with a bit of butter. Lightly hopped with the typical light caramel tastes you'd expect. It's a bit early for spring but couldn't pass up this new brew in Harris Teeter of all places. I'd guess the IBU to be 20 or so and the ABV is 6.4%, pretty standard for a bock and just right for the 1st half of the Duke-Wake Foulfest game tonight. Hey CB&B and 8-X , you'll be seeing one of these in your upcoming traders. :D :-*
I searched the thread for a review just now, finding the above. Quite accurate. I was impressed with this offering. Tasty.
Bought a six pack last night at my local beer place. I agree with everything already mentioned, but have to add that it is a "pretty" beer in the glass ( a Sam Adams glass), my wife mentioned how it looked, This will be even better as the temperature around here gets more acceptable.
I bought this around the same time DD did, I wasn't thrilled. It's a lager...so that explains my lack of enthusiasm..I was just hoping for more since it was from SN.
Has anyone tried Sam Adam's Noble Pils? That one is different as well..more exciting than the glissade..very hoppy, strange tastes.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 3rd, 2010, 10:28 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
ohioguy2 wrote:
captmojo wrote:]
I bought this around the same time DD did, I wasn't thrilled. It's a lager...so that explains my lack of enthusiasm..I was just hoping for more since it was from SN.
Has anyone tried Sam Adam's Noble Pils? That one is different as well..more exciting than the glissade..very hoppy, strange tastes.
Haven't purchased it but would like to have 1 in a trader 6 pack... :- :-w
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 8th, 2010, 9:04 am

Pilot Mt. IPA-Foothills Brewery- Just about what I expected from this America Pale Ale which is really mis-labeled as it sure tastes like an IPA ;) :D .Golden to light amber with a small head and served a bit cold on draft from Nantucket Bar and Grille. It was fine as it warmed and matched nicely with the fancy arse grilled chicked salad with cashews, cranberries and feta cheese I enjoyed. This is one of those spucey/piney IPAs with a bit of a resin taste and an estimated IBU of 60-70 and an ABV of 6-7%. Not sure if it is available bottled. If you have the chance, have a pint with some ribs or slightly spicy/tangy grilled fare.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 8th, 2010, 9:09 am

devildeac wrote:Pilot Mt. IPA-Foothills Brewery- Just about what I expected from this America Pale Ale which is really mis-labeled as it sure tastes like an IPA ;) :D .Golden to light amber with a small head and served a bit cold on draft from Nantucket Bar and Grille. It was fine as it warmed and matched nicely with the fancy arse grilled chicked salad with cashews, cranberries and feta cheese I enjoyed. This is one of those spucey/piney IPAs with a bit of a resin taste and an estimated IBU of 60-70 and an ABV of 6-7%. Not sure if it is available bottled. If you have the chance, have a pint with some ribs or slightly spicy/tangy grilled fare.
OK, I shoulda gone to their website first. My taste buds were kinda off. The IBU are only 43 and the ABV is 4.7%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 8th, 2010, 9:10 am

OK, I am glad I visited the Foothills Brewpub website. They brew a beverage called Sexual Chocolate and I want some...

;) :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 8th, 2010, 10:00 am

devildeac wrote:OK, I am glad I visited the Foothills Brewpub website. They brew a beverage called Sexual Chocolate and I want some...
Hmmm..sounds intriguing..appropiate weekend comint up. Food Lion had Magic Hat's winter sampler on sale, so even though I've not been thrilled by MH before, I bought it. WIthout going into lots of detail...I'm still not thrilled. I think the fact that only one beer (their IPA) in the box was over 5%ABV turned me off pretty quickly. If I want to drink a beverage with 4.5% ABV, I'm gonna pick a wine cooler.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » February 8th, 2010, 1:39 pm

devildeac wrote:OK, I am glad I visited the Foothills Brewpub website. They brew a beverage called Sexual Chocolate and I want some...

;) :D
Pun notwithstanding, I heard Foothills Sexual Chocolate is incredible...I want some too...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 8th, 2010, 2:20 pm

Hmmm..sounds intriguing..appropiate weekend comint up. Food Lion had Magic Hat's winter sampler on sale, so even though I've not been thrilled by MH before, I bought it. WIthout going into lots of detail...I'm still not thrilled. I think the fact that only one beer (their IPA) in the box was over 5%ABV turned me off pretty quickly. If I want to drink a beverage with 4.5% ABV, I'm gonna pick a wine cooler.
I have not been really enamored with MH over the years either. Ozzie and I had Howl recently on draft at Tyler's and I liked it but not enough to buy a 6/12 pack of it.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » February 8th, 2010, 2:59 pm

devildeac wrote:
I have not been really enamored with MH over the years either. Ozzie and I had Howl recently on draft at Tyler's and I liked it but not enough to buy a 6/12 pack of it.
Check! That will NOT be a Future trader! ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 8th, 2010, 10:28 pm

CB&B: If you just happen to be reading this thread, I finally found some Breck Vanilla Porter so I'll save you 1 or 2. ;) :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 8th, 2010, 10:32 pm

devildeac wrote:CB&B: If you just happen to be reading this thread, I finally found some Breck Vanilla Porter so I'll save you 1 or 2. ;) :D
:D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 8th, 2010, 10:36 pm

I had the Howl out of the Magic Hat sampler tonight, it is probably the best tasting beer out of the sampler pack, which is somewhat suprising since it's a lager. Very similar to Saranac's Black Lager, except Saranac's is more potent. (4.6% versus 5.5%). Good, but not worthy of buying a 6 pack of.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 8th, 2010, 10:45 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Dog Fish Head Olde School
Oh hell yes. What a funky beer this is, it's the closest we can legally get to the 120 here in NC, and you can get an idea of what the 120 is when you taste it. 15%ABV, syrupy thck, and very sweet. I described it in Section 21 as "grapey". Such an interesting flavor, thoughts of sparkling white grape juice (not wine) come to mind. Some nice honey notes underneath, I don't know if there is any honey actually in there, but it's so thick and sweet it's hard to ignore the comparison. Obviously a beer that you enjoy at home, sipping slowly. If I had someone to share it with, it would be even better. A bit much to enjoy by yourself..they need to put it in a bottle with a cork! Then I could enjoy another 6 ounces tomorrow and not overdo it on a weeknight. But it's worthy of celebrating a good win, CIS' 40th birthday, and the enjoyable launch of the active content going on the front page. Huge thanks to DD for the trader, very much appreciated.
Some very similar and some very different impressions with my recent sampling. I divided a 12 ounce bottle over 3 nights, corking it each time. I started out with a session beer each night and then poured 4 ounces of the OS into a small snifter/large cordial glass and let it sit for about 15 minutes before sipping. Medium to dark brown with a very small head. So many flavors to me, including maple syrup, dark grapes and some very dark honey. If I were to pick a comparison beverage, I'd choose a dark sherry. Huge malt body as you'd expect at 15% ABV but incredibly smooth. I'm gonna guess the IBU at 50-60. I think this is a vastly different beer than the DFH 120 Minute IPA as one is a barleywine and the other is an IIPA, though it is kinda hard to characterize the 120 with its 18-20% ABV as any sort of beer. I will also mention in closing that this bottle of OS was not from the same litter as the trader with CB&B. I found 3 bottles of the 2007 vintage in the corner of a case I had and I am sure that contributed further to its complexity and body. I am sure bluebear also enjoyed a member of his 2 year old 4 pack recently. If he has enough discipline, he'll cellar the other two and have one in 2011 and the last in 2012 :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 9th, 2010, 8:14 am

devildeac wrote:
Oh hell yes. What a funky beer this is, it's the closest we can legally get to the 120 here in NC, and you can get an idea of what the 120 is when you taste it. 15%ABV, syrupy thck, and very sweet. I described it in Section 21 as "grapey". Such an interesting flavor, thoughts of sparkling white grape juice (not wine) come to mind. Some nice honey notes underneath, I don't know if there is any honey actually in there, but it's so thick and sweet it's hard to ignore the comparison. Obviously a beer that you enjoy at home, sipping slowly. If I had someone to share it with, it would be even better. A bit much to enjoy by yourself..they need to put it in a bottle with a cork! Then I could enjoy another 6 ounces tomorrow and not overdo it on a weeknight. But it's worthy of celebrating a good win, CIS' 40th birthday, and the enjoyable launch of the active content going on the front page. Huge thanks to DD for the trader, very much appreciated.
Some very similar and some very different impressions with my recent sampling. I divided a 12 ounce bottle over 3 nights, corking it each time. I started out with a session beer each night and then poured 4 ounces of the OS into a small snifter/large cordial glass and let it sit for about 15 minutes before sipping. Medium to dark brown with a very small head. So many flavors to me, including maple syrup, dark grapes and some very dark honey. If I were to pick a comparison beverage, I'd choose a dark sherry. Huge malt body as you'd expect at 15% ABV but incredibly smooth. I'm gonna guess the IBU at 50-60. I think this is a vastly different beer than the DFH 120 Minute IPA as one is a barleywine and the other is an IIPA, though it is kinda hard to characterize the 120 with its 18-20% ABV as any sort of beer. I will also mention in closing that this bottle of OS was not from the same litter as the trader with CB&B. I found 3 bottles of the 2007 vintage in the corner of a case I had and I am sure that contributed further to its complexity and body. I am sure bluebear also enjoyed a member of his 2 year old 4 pack recently. If he has enough discipline, he'll cellar the other two and have one in 2011 and the last in 2012 :D .
My taste buds are still a bit off. I did a bit of reading from their website and found this is indeed brewed with dates and figs and has an IBU of 85. Amazingly complex brew. Some time later this month or next month, I'll have to sip one of the 2009 releases and compare notes/tastings.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » February 9th, 2010, 11:26 am

devildeac wrote:
Great review..It's been awhile since I've had the 120 minute but from what I recall, the 120 like Olde School is very sweet and boozy but the malt presence is much lighter in taste and density (as would be expected for an "IIPA") with a big hop presence (though not particularly bitter)...The Olde School has a much darker, thicker malt presence with the dark fruit described above and very little hoppiness. I was not a huge fan of the 120 minute but I love Olde School..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 10th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Hazed and Infused-Boulder Brewing-New brew received as a trader yesterday. Good session beer which I have never tasted before. This is a pale ale with a small variety of hops, mainly Cascade and Centennial which is also dry-hopped during the brewing process. The aroma and tastes are those of the coniferous type and the balance is pleasant. I'd guess the IBU to be about 50 and the ABV is a shade low at 4.8%. It is a golden-yellow with a 1-2 finger head and would be a nice beverage with mild to slightly spicy grilled/roasted fare. I'll save one for CB&B for our next trading session as I got 2 of these.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 10th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Stovepipe Porter-Otter Creek-A well-brewed traditional porter with a deep brown hue, light tan head and some milk chocolate and expresso tastes and aromas. Bitterness is mild at 30 IBU and I'd estimate the ABV to be about 5%. Would be wonderful in/with stews, game or as an after dinner drink, with some chocolate or a scoop of vanilla or almond ice cream as a beer float. I'd love to find more of their brews down here as I have wonderful memories of the IIPA 8-X brought to one of the Brunchgates.