Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Re: Cold

Post by DukeUsul » January 3rd, 2010, 1:56 pm

colchar wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:I hate the heat. It's gross. Sticky. I abhor North Carolina summers.

Like CB&B said, you can always put more clothes on. I've got gloves and a hat and a parka if I need it.

I'd love to run around naked in the summers, but I think that would be frowned upon. The only times I can really tolerate extreme heat is when I'm half-naked on a beach with a girly frozen drink.

I'm sure there are nude beaches down there where you could be fully naked while enjoying a frozen drink!
Aaahhh! Sounds like heaven!

For me anyway, maybe not for everyone around me.
-- DukeUsul
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 3rd, 2010, 1:59 pm

colchar wrote:
colchar wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:For those who seem to take a macho approach to cold weather, how do you fare when the temperature and humidity are near 100?

We each adapt to the weather where we are. Don't which extreme I'd rather have..... maybe the hot weather :-\

I adapt to it just fine. Here in southern Ontario we get all four seasons. In winter it gets pretty damned cold at times and, in summer, it gets pretty damned hot at times. During the months of July and August we regularly hit 100 degrees so I am quite used to it.

The university where I did my undergrad degree, the University of Waterloo, has a weather station on campus (they have a main location and weather censors are placed all over campus) and they publish weather data each month as well as yearly summaries (and every other kind of weather data you could wish for). Both the campus and that weather station are located just a couple of blocks from my house so their weather data is dead on for what I'd get.

The link below is to a graph showing our monthly temperatures for 2008 (since the university is closed over the holidays they have yet to compile the data for 2009). If you look at the graph you'll see that we had a few days in the 100 degree range (their data is in celcius but 37.7C is 100F). As I said, this graph is from 2008 and, although I wasn't here (I was in Britain for a few months), I've been told by family and friends that it was a crappy, miserable, wet and cold summer (apparently it rained damned near daily). But even then we hit the 100 degree range (in a normal summer we'd hit it more than we did in 2008).

You'll also notice the data for January shows that we had days colder than -30C (that's -22F!). In January and February we had plenty of days below -25C (we had a couple in December too).

How's that for a range of weather?!? We get both extremes and, as I said in another post, I can easily handle both as I am quite used to them. How would y'all like to live in a place that has such a major swing in temperatures over the course of a year?

Here is the graph:

http://www.weather.uwaterloo.ca/downloa ... rature.pdf

I tried to edit the post above but it seems too much time had passed so I'll have to post my edit below.

My bad, I completely misread the graph (I've been awake less than an hour so give me a mulligan - damn I need another coffee!). The highest temps and lowest temps were not from 2008, they were record highs and record lows. Having looked at the graph more closely I've realized that it really does represent what was described to me - a shitty cold and wet year (we got a record amount of precipitation - especially snow) with only a few really really cold days and almost no really hot days. Regardless, the temps shown in that graph do demonstrate that we get a wide variety of weather around here and that we can, and do, reach temps in the 100 degree range. With the ridiculous humidity we get here days can easily feel like 100f or more.

The graph below, from 2005, shows more typical weather for our area than the 2008 graph did. We had a couple of days in January of that year that were below -30C which is -25F! We also had steady periods of 35C or more which, with the humidity, would have been well above 100F. So I think my point still stands - we get rather extreme fluctuations in weather over the course of a year and therefore can handle all kinds of weather,

http://www.weather.uwaterloo.ca/downloa ... rature.gif
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 3rd, 2010, 2:01 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
colchar wrote:

I'm sure there are nude beaches down there where you could be fully naked while enjoying a frozen drink!

I was gonna say...
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 3rd, 2010, 2:02 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
colchar wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:For those who seem to take a macho approach to cold weather, how do you fare when the temperature and humidity are near 100?

We each adapt to the weather where we are. Don't which extreme I'd rather have..... maybe the hot weather :-\

I adapt to it just fine. Here in southern Ontario we get all four seasons. In winter it gets pretty damned cold at times and, in summer, it gets pretty damned hot at times. During the months of July and August we regularly hit 100 degrees so I am quite used to it.
What's the humidity like in July and August? Humidity's a significant factor in what feels comfortable or tolerable.

The humidity can be horrible, just horrible.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 3rd, 2010, 2:23 pm

In the summer I like it hot and humid. How hot and how humid depends on what I'm doing and how long I want to do it for. For example, when it gets into the mid 90's or higher with very high humidity, when I play golf I'll probably ride in a cart instead of pulling my pull cart, or I might walk the first 9 and then ride the second 9, or quit after 9 and go to the pool! I sweat - a lot - so I am drenched quickly but I don't mind that; I drink lots of ice water* when I play, and a Gatorade type drink around the 7th or 8th hole for a "pick me up". I also like dumping cold water over my head at the water coolers spread around the course (every 3 holes - 4, 7, 10, 13 and 16 tees). I do have a problem with my hands sweating and being able to hang on to my club when I swing. I carry several towels on my bag and a special keep dry hand powder.

*Unless it's a tournament with free beer being supplied, I don't usually drink beer while I'm playing. I can play golf, and I can drink beer, but I can't do both seriously at the same time! ;)

Cold weather is nice for a day or two as a change of pace, but give me warm weather the other 363 days of the year. And I saw enough snow in NYC 2 weeks ago to last me for this winter.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2010, 2:26 pm

colchar wrote:
devildeac wrote: You, bjornolf and colchar need to sign up for a New Year's day polar bear swim somewhere.

Not a chance in hell - I hate the cold.
:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2010, 2:31 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:In the summer I like it hot and humid. How hot and how humid depends on what I'm doing and how long I want to do it for. For example, when it gets into the mid 90's or higher with very high humidity, when I play golf I'll probably ride in a cart instead of pulling my pull cart, or I might walk the first 9 and then ride the second 9, or quit after 9 and go to the pool! I sweat - a lot - so I am drenched quickly but I don't mind that; I drink lots of ice water* when I play, and a Gatorade type drink around the 7th or 8th hole for a "pick me up". I also like dumping cold water over my head at the water coolers spread around the course (every 3 holes - 4, 7, 10, 13 and 16 tees). I do have a problem with my hands sweating and being able to hang on to my club when I swing. I carry several towels on my bag and a special keep dry hand powder.

*Unless it's a tournament with free beer being supplied, I don't usually drink beer while I'm playing. I can play golf, and I can drink beer, but I can't do both seriously at the same time! ;)

Cold weather is nice for a day or two as a change of pace, but give me warm weather the other 363 days of the year. And I saw enough snow in NYC 2 weeks ago to last me for this winter.
Whaddaya think about this temperature: I -9F I ?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 3rd, 2010, 3:09 pm

devildeac wrote:
colchar wrote:
devildeac wrote: You, bjornolf and colchar need to sign up for a New Year's day polar bear swim somewhere.

Not a chance in hell - I hate the cold.
:)) =))

The funniest thing is that I wasn't even kidding - I hate the cold. The worst is when it gets really cold here and you go outside and the first breath you take makes your chest hurt. Trust me, that sucks big style.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 3rd, 2010, 3:52 pm

devildeac wrote: Whaddaya think about this temperature: I -9F I ?
| -9F | B-) I love it, as long as I'm not out in it! :-o =))

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 4th, 2010, 8:50 pm

It was quite cold in St. Louis this morning when I left for work: 5F, with wind chills of -9F.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 4th, 2010, 8:54 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:It was quite cold in St. Louis this morning when I left for work: 5F, with wind chills of -9F.
That's |-9F| It's hot as Hell there! :ymdevil: :ymdevil: =)) =)) =)) :ymdevil:

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » January 4th, 2010, 8:56 pm

I'm sort of expecting world peace at any moment, after all, we'll be witnessing several colds days in Chapel Hell.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 4th, 2010, 9:35 pm

TillyGalore wrote:I'm sort of expecting world peace at any moment, after all, we'll be witnessing several colds days in Chapel Hell.
Which is colder: the weather or the Holes' outside shooters?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » January 4th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Lavabe wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:I'm sort of expecting world peace at any moment, after all, we'll be witnessing several colds days in Chapel Hell.
Which is colder: the weather or the Holes' outside shooters?
The Holes have outside shooters?
Class of 2014
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 4th, 2010, 10:48 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
colchar wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:I hate the heat. It's gross. Sticky. I abhor North Carolina summers.

Like CB&B said, you can always put more clothes on. I've got gloves and a hat and a parka if I need it.

I'd love to run around naked in the summers, but I think that would be frowned upon. The only times I can really tolerate extreme heat is when I'm half-naked on a beach with a girly frozen drink.

Maybe not for everyone around you?!?!?

;) ;)
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
craziecat
PW in training
PW in training

Post by craziecat » January 4th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Here is Chi-Town, the windchill is a balmy -11. We are warming up.
Please don't take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them here.
GO DUKE!!!!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 4th, 2010, 11:15 pm

craziecat wrote:Here is Chi-Town, the windchill is a balmy -11.
You win!!
Have a cup of hot chocolate! ~O)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 4th, 2010, 11:16 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
craziecat wrote:Here is Chi-Town, the windchill is a balmy -11.
You win!!
Have a cup of hot chocolate! ~O)
That is officially fucking cold!

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 5th, 2010, 7:50 am

One of the things I hate about the cold is remembering to get up early so I can start the car. It's a lot easier to see when I don't have to look through the inch of ice on the windshield. I have a scraper...but that means standing in the cold and scraping.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 5th, 2010, 9:39 am

When the temp is so low at night, we are told that we have to let the water drip from a faucet all night long.

QUESTION: Do I let the hot water or the cold water drip? Is there a preference?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.