Twitter

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

herb
PW in training
PW in training

Twitter

Post by herb » May 9th, 2009, 9:19 am

Anyone on Twitter? Now that I've started tweeting, I am convinced that the fad MUST be over!

Still trying to figure out WHY anyone (including me) would tweet. I'm just not that interesting - and why would anyone want to know my random, stream of conciousness thoughts?
AKA Duke74
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Twitter

Post by DukePA » May 9th, 2009, 10:08 am

I don't Tweet. I have a feeling I would find it to be very distracting.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 9th, 2009, 10:10 am

It would definitely distract me from my time here. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 9th, 2009, 11:46 am

I find the whole idea to be completely stupid. To me it is a high tech version of ham radio - and those people are weird!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 9th, 2009, 12:17 pm

Amen to colchar...I do not and will not Twitter. It strikes me as unbelievably self-indulgent, and as said above, I just don't think anyone cares a whole lot about my "160-character stream-of-consciousness bursts."

It's funny, though, that I'm trying to convince myself that someday, people will care about multiple hundreds of pages' worth of stuff I'll have to say on this or that subject...
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 9th, 2009, 12:43 pm

wilson wrote: It's funny, though, that I'm trying to convince myself that someday, people will care about multiple hundreds of pages' worth of stuff I'll have to say on this or that subject...

But that stuff will matter. The tweets (or whatever the fuck they are called) sent out by twits don't. And never will.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 9th, 2009, 6:08 pm

Of course, people cared when Ashton Kutcher sent this tweet out of his wife:

http://www.idontlikeyouinthatway.com/20 ... nties.html. It included the caption "shhh, don't tell wifey."

Apparently, she steams his suits in her undies.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » May 9th, 2009, 9:56 pm

There are some uses to it. I've actually just joined NC State's College of Management social media committee and I've recommended we use Twitter as a way to reach out to prospective MBA students. One way that I see it as providing value is in a means of quick, public communication from the program about events and issues. For example, the MBA program can put out tweet reminders about upcoming deadlines, information sessions, interview schedules, etc. And prospective students who have questions about things can send Tweets out to the MBA program who can then respond publicly answering questions that might be of interest to other prospective students.

Right now the same kind of things happen on the phone or over email but they aren't public. The only alternative that provides such easy, quick, public back and forth is a discussion board. But they don't integrate with phones and desktop monitoring tools as well.

I actually think Twitter is much more valuable as a business tool than a personal one. I'm currently following Whole Foods, which has a marketing manager available to answer questions on products, sourcing, quality, etc in their stores. Very nice to have easy access to someone at a business to answer questions.
-- DukeUsul
Miles

Post by Miles » May 10th, 2009, 1:25 pm

I find twitter fascinating, much more than I do Facebook, MySpace or even bulletin boards like this one. It is relatively simply way of delivering a message to a broad or refined audience. I admit, there seems to be a lot of crap on Twitter, but I'll bet that's a reflection of the age group tweeting.

As far as self-indulgence goes, aren't we all demonstrating that behavior when we post here?
sMiles