MERRY CHRISTMAS

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Post by CathyCA » December 25th, 2009, 1:03 am

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Sam and I went to church tonight. I sang with the choir. After church, we went over to Mom's for a late dinner of roast, potatoes, green bean casserole, apple dumplings, rolls, butter beans, black eyed peas, cranberry relish and chocolate covered strawberries from 8-x .

I'm still wrapping, singing and celebrating! I even found another box of decorations for my tree this afternoon, so I've continued to decorate the tree.

This is my 18th Christmas with my Sammy. He has asked if he can sleep in tomorrow. I :Heartthrob: him for that!

8-x arrives tomorrow night. YAY!

We need some Christmas smilies!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: MERRY CHRISTMAS

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 25th, 2009, 1:07 am

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night! (Yeah, I posted the same thing a few minutes ago in the LTE, but that was before Cathy started this thread :D )
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 25th, 2009, 7:38 am

Merry Christmas everyone! I've got the fire going for the turkey I'm smoking for our dinner (in the smoker I bought mom for Christmas), only her and I are awake. It's freezing rain outside, and the ground is covered with last week's snow. If I've ever had a white Christmas, I don't remember it, so this is cool. I have only one complaint. Cathy started this thread and didn't give us a sparkly greeting! :((

Hope everyone has a wonderful day and weekend!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » December 25th, 2009, 7:41 am

Merry Christmas!!
Yesterday afternoon the little boys next door (ages 3 and 5) helped John scatter reindeer food in the front yard - they took the job very seriously and did an excellent job! Last night we rode around looking at Christmas lights (including a stop at the neighborhood live nativity) and then stopped by our friends' house for their annual Christmas Eve open house. We came home to finish last bits of wrapping, track Santa on Norad, and fall asleep watching "It's a Wonderful Life."

Now we've got breakfast casserole in the oven, fresh coffee in hand, and are just waiting for the internal fog to lift before commencing with Christmas pandemonium. My sister is coming over to join in the fray and we'll visit with neighbors because all the kids have asked us to be sure to come see what Santa left them (we're the neighborhood surrogate grandparents). Tomorrow we'll go to Charlotte to have Christmas with the Miles branch of the family. Miles' brother and family have come from Kansas, so that's an extra blessing for the season.

I am so grateful for wonderful family, friends, and neighbors, and for this magical time of year to share with others. I am also grateful for my new friends here at CTN and hope all the joy of the season is with you all today. Have a marvelous Christmas, friends.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 25th, 2009, 8:08 am

merry christmas to all. we have a nice fire in the fireplace. its so peaceful. jake is here. he couldn't make it last christmas. its great he's here now. we will miss donna and stevo this year. they are staying on the island to have christmas with stevo's parents. this is the first year in ages they can be together so thats really nice. dana and her family are coming later today. dawn, mark and max are in kenansville. mark has to work part of today and tomorrow. we'll see them soon. earljam is coming over tomorrow. we look forward to seening him. we will have our traditional spagetti dinner tonight. loving and sharing is so nice. i love my family and friends. of course, ctn friends are very much included. peace, vdb :ymhug: :ymhug: :) :-* :-*
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 25th, 2009, 8:11 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:merry christmas to all. we have a nice fire in the fireplace. its so peaceful. jake is here. he couldn't make it last christmas. its great he's here now. we will miss donna and stevo this year. they are staying on the island to have christmas with stevo's parents. this is the first year in ages they can be together so thats really nice. dana and her family are coming later today. dawn, mark and max are in kenansville. mark has to work part of today and tomorrow. we'll see them soon. earljam is coming over tomorrow. we look forward to seening him. we will have our traditional spagetti dinner tonight. loving and sharing is so nice. i love my family and friends. of course, ctn friends are very much included. peace, vdb :ymhug: :ymhug: :) :-* :-*
Make sure to get a picture of EJ with everyone by the Duke tree!
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » December 25th, 2009, 9:00 am

Merry Christmas and Happy birthday Jesus!

Tilly is safely in MD with her family and I am tucked away nicely at home with cats and dog all around on this Christmas morning. I hope everyone has a great day today full of laughter, togetherness and cheer!!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 25th, 2009, 9:24 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Merry Christmas everyone! I've got the fire going for the turkey I'm smoking for our dinner (in the smoker I bought mom for Christmas), only her and I are awake. It's freezing rain outside, and the ground is covered with last week's snow. If I've ever had a white Christmas, I don't remember it, so this is cool. I have only one complaint. Cathy started this thread and didn't give us a sparkly greeting! :((

How's that?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » December 25th, 2009, 9:33 am

Merry Christmas all! (*)

My mom, sister and I enjoyed the festival of Lights at Tanglewood Park on Wednesday evening followed by a lovely meal at a favorite family owned restaurant here in WS. Last night we had our baked spaghetti dinner early and followed that with a guided tour of the neighborhoods with the best lights, one of our traditions. Today we're each preparing out contribution to an extended family gathering at my brother's house. Saturday my nephew (the one in Saint Louis) will arrive for the traditional day after Christmas lunch at the Tavern at Old Salem. Sunday my niece and her family will join us at my house for another Christmas gathering.

My Christmas gift to my mom this year has been to help her with some vehicle transactions. If the weather is decent Monday, we'll go take a look at the new car she's considering to replace the old one.

The temperature here has just risen above freezing and the precipitation has changed from frozen rain to a winter mix. I'm enjoying a wonderful cup of rich coffee flavored lightly with cinnamon and listening to a favorite Christmas CD, "A Carnegie Hall Christmas Concert." The candles in the windows are on and the Moravian star in the window is shining. So much to be thankful for..... perhaps the most important being friends.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » December 25th, 2009, 9:53 am

Merry Christmas everyone!!!! :ymhug:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 25th, 2009, 9:55 am

CathyCA wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Merry Christmas everyone! I've got the fire going for the turkey I'm smoking for our dinner (in the smoker I bought mom for Christmas), only her and I are awake. It's freezing rain outside, and the ground is covered with last week's snow. If I've ever had a white Christmas, I don't remember it, so this is cool. I have only one complaint. Cathy started this thread and didn't give us a sparkly greeting! :((

How's that?
:D :ymhug: :-*
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 25th, 2009, 10:00 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Merry Christmas all! (*)

My mom, sister and I enjoyed the festival of Lights at Tanglewood Park on Wednesday evening followed by a lovely meal at a favorite family owned restaurant here in WS. Last night we had our baked spaghetti dinner early and followed that with a guided tour of the neighborhoods with the best lights, one of our traditions. Today we're each preparing out contribution to an extended family gathering at my brother's house. Saturday my nephew (the one in Saint Louis) will arrive for the traditional day after Christmas lunch at the Tavern at Old Salem. Sunday my niece and her family will join us at my house for another Christmas gathering.

My Christmas gift to my mom this year has been to help her with some vehicle transactions. If the weather is decent Monday, we'll go take a look at the new car she's considering to replace the old one.

The temperature here has just risen above freezing and the precipitation has changed from frozen rain to a winter mix. I'm enjoying a wonderful cup of rich coffee flavored lightly with cinnamon and listening to a favorite Christmas CD, "A Carnegie Hall Christmas Concert." . The candles in the windows are on and the Moravian star in the window is shining. So much to be thankful for..... perhaps the most important being friends.
Sounds wonderful. You probably made Ozzie all excited with that part of your post that I embellished. He probably thought you meant a Carnegie DELI Christmas Concert.

:roll: :)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 25th, 2009, 10:01 am

CathyCA wrote:

How's that?
Now all is right with the world! :ymapplause:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 25th, 2009, 10:03 am

Actually, while I'm thinking of it, I'll add these thoughts to this thread.

At our family reunion a few weeks ago, one of my cousins noted that this was the first year in many that none of our family members had died. For this, I am so grateful. I had a grief-filled Christmas the year my beloved Dad died. And the year ExLax decided to step out and divorce me was hell.

Yesterday morning, one of my Duke friends (she was in my FAC group and lived on my hall all 4 years--2 of them as my next door neighbor) sent me a message that her dad dropped dead on Wednesday. I immediately called Karen to offer my sympathies. Listening to her sobs reminded me of that pit of emptiness I felt 8 years ago. "How do we go on?" Karen pushed out those words between tight breaths, "I loved him so much."

And then last night at church, I saw Miss Pearl and Mr. Ed, the elderly parents of my dear friend Debbie who died right after Thanksgiving. The grief on their faces was palpable, as they came forward to take communion. The tears began to stream down my face, and I could hardly catch my breath. The pain and loss that I feel is small compared to what they are experiencing. Oh, how my heart goes out to them.

When I arrived at my mom's house, my sister-in-law was in the kitchen putting the last touches on our delicious Christmas Eve dinner. One of her sisters had surgery this week to remove tumors. Her other sister is battling metastatic breast cancer. She was trying really hard to hold it together with the busyness of meal preparation, but when I asked her how her sisters were doing, she cried. Christmas for her this year is bittersweet.

In the midst of my joyful celebration of Christmas, I am taking the time to remember my friends and family members who are hurting. We live in a world of grief and pain that gifts and lights and glitter and carols and Christmas cookies cannot take away. My prayer is that sometime during this Christmas season, my friends and family who are grieving will experience a moment of peace, and know that they are loved.

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 25th, 2009, 10:12 am

Merry Christmas to everyone here on CTN. Even to those not on CTN. Great reading about all the activities.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 25th, 2009, 10:28 am

Mele Kalikimaka!!

It's been busy here in the Galore home. Papa Galore has been to four masses. When you are essentially the pastor of a church, you work on Christmas eve and Christmas day. His parish is poor and since they were no masses last weekend there was no collection. Dad is hoping there will be an influx of money this weekend as they are running low. According to my mother, Dad won't take a paycheck if there isn't enough money to cover expenses. I love my dad. I hope I can be more like him.

Cathy, when I read your post I cried. I pray that the members of your family, and all on this board who are suffering or have members of their family suffering, will find some peace and joy today. Cathy, your sister-in-law is very lucky to have you in her life.

Safe travels to all the travelers today.

I love you all, my family.

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
I worship the Blue Devil!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 25th, 2009, 11:05 am

Wonderful post, Cathy.

DitBD, I was wondering if that CD came with a Woody, not if you typed it wrong as DD suggested.

OzzieDaughter just called. Their plan has been to come here from there this afternoon, but the ice storm in the mountains (that DitBD mentioned) has necessitated a change of plans to indefinite. They live between Boone and Banner Elk, in Foscoe. They went to Patrick's dad's (F-I-L's) house, in Boone, which is on top of a steep hill, last night after church. The ice started before they left so they stayed the night - I didn't raise no fool! This morning there is "at least" a 1/2 inch of ice, and the power went out about 9:30 a.m. No way they'll leave his house today. The sun is supposed to come out this afternoon but temps probably won't get out of the 30's today, and the ice just won't melt that much and will refreeze after dark. They may be stuck there for a couple of days. So when they get here, they get here, as long as they get here safely. Friends of ours here in Smithfield are having a baby shower for her on Sunday (her due date is Feb. 4th, exactly 6 weeks from today!) Mrs. Ozzie may have to open the presents for her, which sort of continues a tradition started one generation ago - my M-I-L had to open Mrs. Ozzie's baby shower presents because Mrs. Ozzie was in labor the day of the shower and was already in the hospital waiting to give birth to OzzieDaughter (note that shower was at full term, not 33 weeks - no way am I saying or implying that the reason for opening the presents is the same. I sure hope not.)

So Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good day! May you all reach your destinations safely if you are traveling today, like 8-x Stay safe, my friends!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 25th, 2009, 11:12 am

CathyCA wrote:Actually, while I'm thinking of it, I'll add these thoughts to this thread.

At our family reunion a few weeks ago, one of my cousins noted that this was the first year in many that none of our family members had died. For this, I am so grateful. I had a grief-filled Christmas the year my beloved Dad died. And the year ExLax decided to step out and divorce me was hell.

Yesterday morning, one of my Duke friends (she was in my FAC group and lived on my hall all 4 years--2 of them as my next door neighbor) sent me a message that her dad dropped dead on Wednesday. I immediately called Karen to offer my sympathies. Listening to her sobs reminded me of that pit of emptiness I felt 8 years ago. "How do we go on?" Karen pushed out those words between tight breaths, "I loved him so much."

And then last night at church, I saw Miss Pearl and Mr. Ed, the elderly parents of my dear friend Debbie who died right after Thanksgiving. The grief on their faces was palpable, as they came forward to take communion. The tears began to stream down my face, and I could hardly catch my breath. The pain and loss that I feel is small compared to what they are experiencing. Oh, how my heart goes out to them.

When I arrived at my mom's house, my sister-in-law was in the kitchen putting the last touches on our delicious Christmas Eve dinner. One of her sisters had surgery this week to remove tumors. Her other sister is battling metastatic breast cancer. She was trying really hard to hold it together with the busyness of meal preparation, but when I asked her how her sisters were doing, she cried. Christmas for her this year is bittersweet.

In the midst of my joyful celebration of Christmas, I am taking the time to remember my friends and family members who are hurting. We live in a world of grief and pain that gifts and lights and glitter and carols and Christmas cookies cannot take away. My prayer is that sometime during this Christmas season, my friends and family who are grieving will experience a moment of peace, and know that they are loved.

This is our first Christmas without Dad/Grandpa who died in March. Despite all the friends and family who are visiting and providing lotsa Christmas spirit and blessings, there is still a large empty spot in our hearts and in our house this season. Earlier this month, we brought most of his estate to closure including his house and finances. It was especially difficult for me as I physically and symbolically closed all the blinds, locked all the doors, turned off all the lights and heat and closed his garage door for the last time about 3 weeks ago after we emptied his house and donated the last of his possessions to one of the local non-profits before selling the house the next day. Joy had similar feelings as she paid the last of his bills earlier this week with the sense of this being the end of another chapter in our lives. I think I have wept more this month than I did in the first few weeks after he died.

Cathy's thoughts/prayers are greatly appreciated and well-received. We do feel very loved and we are truly at peace.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » December 25th, 2009, 11:56 am

devildeac wrote:This is our first Christmas without Dad/Grandpa who died in March. Despite all the friends and family who are visiting and providing lotsa Christmas spirit and blessings, there is still a large empty spot in our hearts and in our house this season. Earlier this month, we brought most of his estate to closure including his house and finances. It was especially difficult for me as I physically and symbolically closed all the blinds, locked all the doors, turned off all the lights and heat and closed his garage door for the last time about 3 weeks ago after we emptied his house and donated the last of his possessions to one of the local non-profits before selling the house the next day. Joy had similar feelings as she paid the last of his bills earlier this week with the sense of this being the end of another chapter in our lives. I think I have wept more this month than I did in the first few weeks after he died.

Cathy's thoughts/prayers are greatly appreciated and well-received. We do feel very loved and we are truly at peace.
I certainly identify with what you've described, devildeac. My dad died 20 years ago and I still miss hearing him read the Cajun Night Before Christmas to the grandchildren...... and all the other things he used to do for us at Christmas. With the exception of my mother, all the family in Daddy's generation is gone now on both sides of the family. My generation has become the grandparents and the grandchildren are now the parents. Last night as Mom, Sister Woman and I ate, laughed and looked at lights, we remembered with happy laughter some of Daddy's exploits that have become more humorous as the years pass..... some were about how he dealt with snow as well as the holiday doings.

I'm so grateful that my niece Jackie and her family from Durham will be able to join us Sunday. On the day of the recent snow storm, she and her husband were at Durham Regional for tests to determine the cause of the temporary loss of vision Jackie experienced the day before. So far a blood clot in a carotid artery is probably not present as first suspected, but there is a collapse of a small section of the lining of the blood vessel and the muscle outside pulled away a bit. The results of the CT scan done during the snow storm were normal. Still awaiting results of blood tests.... tests covering a broad spectrum of possibilities. Meanwhile Jackie did return to her work as a veterinarian, but with slight restrictions for now.

My sister-in-law is still grieving her mother's death just over a year ago. She's stuck in the anger stage and becoming more and more like her mother in ensuring that she's the center of the drama.

I'm spending the day in a quiet way so that I can handle the barbs that will begin to fly once we assemble at my brother and sister-in-law's house this evening.

The dishwasher is loaded with my favorite Christmas china, now out of storage, to get ready for the festive gathering Sunday. Casserole dishes for my offering for tonight are out and ready to receive the dish my sister-in-law assigned me.

The candle lights in the windows seem to glow against the gray skies outside, looking cheery despite the dreary background..... rather symbolic of how I choose to experience the day!
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » December 25th, 2009, 12:04 pm

Seven years ago my life, as I knew it, began to crumble. My mother-in-law was dying from a brain tumor and the ex had moved on to another. I learned then to reach out to those who love me and to accept their support and kindness. I learned that the only thing that matters in life is to allow yourself to be loved and to love well. Nothing else matters.

I share my love with all my CTN family. You guys are the very best. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:

Go Duke!!! :D