Mother's Day - HELP

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Mother's Day - HELP

Post by Shammrog » May 8th, 2009, 10:06 am

Hello - I need quick help. I am not good at buying gifts. Particularly for (adult) women.

My wife is 35. She likes sports and "cool" stuff. Hard to buy for with respect to more girly things; mainly because she is very specific in her tastes.

My mom is 67. She really doesn't do too much away from the house. Want something interesting to engage her.

Any suggestions? PLEASE HELP!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Mother's Day - HELP

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2009, 10:12 am

Shammrog wrote:Hello - I need quick help. I am not good at buying gifts. Particularly for (adult) women.

My wife is 35. She likes sports and "cool" stuff. Hard to buy for with respect to more girly things; mainly because she is very specific in her tastes.

My mom is 67. She really doesn't do too much away from the house. Want something interesting to engage her.

1. Jewelry. Nice jewelry. NOT Windsor's daughter.
2. Restaurant gift cards. Movie tickets. Tickets to a musical show (not named Fleetwood Mac) or theatre show. Georgia Aquarium tix. Braves game-not with Earl Jam. NOT Windsor's daughter.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 8th, 2009, 10:19 am

Check out the gardening thread, look for the link for greenhouse kits. Some are very small, and might be something your mom would enjoy since it would be "an around the house" activity.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 8th, 2009, 10:46 am

devildeac wrote:
Shammrog wrote:Hello - I need quick help. I am not good at buying gifts. Particularly for (adult) women.

2. Restaurant gift cards. Movie tickets. Tickets to a musical show (not named Fleetwood Mac) or theatre show. Georgia Aquarium tix. Braves game-not with Earl Jam. NOT Windsor's daughter.
I don't know how close you live to your Mother, but if feasible - make those tickets for two and you take her to the dinner and show.

Oh - and NOT Windsor's daughter. (Just a reminder) ;)
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2009, 10:57 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
devildeac wrote:

I don't know how close you live to your Mother, but if feasible - make those tickets for two and you take her to the dinner and show.

For my Dad's 89th birthday in February this year I took him on a mystery trip. For about $50 for tix for the 2 of us and less than 1/2 tank of gas, we drove to Greensboro to see/hear the Glenn Miller Orchestra play/perform. He was ecstatic and talked about it for weeks.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 8th, 2009, 11:15 am

devildeac wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
devildeac wrote:
snip

For my Dad's 89th birthday in February this year I took him on a mystery trip. For about $50 for tix for the 2 of us and less than 1/2 tank of gas, we drove to Greensboro to see/hear the Glenn Miller Orchestra play/perform. He was ecstatic and talked about it for weeks.
The gift of time with a loved one is the best thing you can give them. Make these kind of memories while you can. We took our dad on vacation with us and visited his home town/state. He got to show some of his grandkids the house he grew up in, where he went to school, etc. We all thought we were nuts to try this given his health/memory issues - but it was the best thing we ever did.
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 8th, 2009, 11:29 am

For your wife, there are a number of good Day Spas in Cobb County, Shamm. Massage will do wonders!! O:-)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » May 8th, 2009, 12:17 pm

How about tickets to take the family to a Braves game? (Best birthday present I ever got from my hubby was when he took me to a Red Sox playoff game.)

A backyard birdfeeder?

I'm a sucker for a ceramic teapot.

Really nice knitting needles? Too specific to me? If either are knitters, these needles are to die for - http://www.signatureneedlearts.com/ although they wouldn't arrive in time - future reference.

Things that might be hard to buy for them unless you really know their tastes, but handbags (Coach!!!!) although it's hard to go wrong with a nice evening clutch type bag, as long as you stay classy. If you're spending a bundle, go Chanel. Yummy and way too expensive to buy for yourself.

If they wouldn't look at as you being lazy, gift certificate to a shoe store.

Ballroom dancing lessons (you have to go too).

Good luck.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » May 8th, 2009, 12:21 pm

Thinking about your mom, would she like one of those Great Courses you can get on DVD? Netflix suspscription?

I still think the birdfeeder is a good idea, maybe with a field guide (Golden is my favorite but you can't go wrong with a Peterson's). Does she live in Atlanta? Lots and lots of very colorful birds to attract, rufus sided twoheys, summer tanagers, indigo buntings.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Bostondevil wrote:How about tickets to take the family to a Braves game? (Best birthday present I ever got from my hubby was when he took me to a Red Sox playoff game.)

A backyard birdfeeder?

I'm a sucker for a ceramic teapot.

Really nice knitting needles? Too specific to me? If either are knitters, these needles are to die for - http://www.signatureneedlearts.com/ although they wouldn't arrive in time - future reference.

Things that might be hard to buy for them unless you really know their tastes, but handbags (Coach!!!!) although it's hard to go wrong with a nice evening clutch type bag, as long as you stay classy. If you're spending a bundle, go Chanel. Yummy and way too expensive to buy for yourself.

If they wouldn't look at as you being lazy, gift certificate to a shoe store.

Ballroom dancing lessons (you have to go too).

Good luck.
Ooh, ballroom dancing. Now there's a nice, expensive addicting gift for you AND your wife. I still like that idea, even after 1 1/2 years of lessons...

:D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Thinking about your mom, would she like one of those Great Courses you can get on DVD? Netflix suspscription?

I still think the birdfeeder is a good idea, maybe with a field guide (Golden is my favorite but you can't go wrong with a Peterson's). Does she live in Atlanta? Lots and lots of very colorful birds to attract, rufus sided twoheys, summer tanagers, indigo buntings.

My wife bought herself a bird feeder this year. Loves to ID the birds as they visit. Now, unfortunately she needs a squirrel hunter, too... :o :roll:

damn rodents...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 8th, 2009, 12:41 pm

Jewelry always works. One of my favorite stores for jewelry is Brighton--at the mall--a big city mall, not the crappy things they call malls out here in the sticks. Of course, Brighton also works well for shoes, purses, belts and desk accessories.

Purses work. The Coach store is a good place to start.

OMG--something from Talbots always works well, too! If you don't know what she wants, they have gift cards.

Stick to items that are personal to her--don't give her kitchen equipment unless she specifically asks. Having said that, gift cards to cooking stores are great gift ideas--Williams-Sonoma, Sur La Table, even Bed Bath & Beyond.

I'm getting my mom one of those Topsy Turvy tomato planters over at Bed Bath & Beyond for Mother's Day. She WANTS one. I'm also going to see what else they have over there.

Don't get lingerie. That's like giving a gift to yourself.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 8th, 2009, 5:08 pm

devildeac wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:Thinking about your mom, would she like one of those Great Courses you can get on DVD? Netflix suspscription?

My wife bought herself a bird feeder this year. Loves to ID the birds as they visit. Now, unfortunately she needs a squirrel hunter, too... :o :roll:

damn rodents...
ID the squirrels. They're fun. North American monkeys. Think of it as a tree rat feeder.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
knights68

Post by knights68 » May 8th, 2009, 5:53 pm

Might I suggest a day (or half day) at the spa?
A massage, pedi and mani will go far!!!!! ;) trust me!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 8th, 2009, 9:37 pm

devildeac wrote: My wife bought herself a bird feeder this year. Loves to ID the birds as they visit. Now, unfortunately she needs a squirrel hunter, too... :o :roll:

damn rodents...
You should get her a BB gun for Mother's Day. She'll love you forever.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 8th, 2009, 9:39 pm

CathyCA wrote: Don't get lingerie. That's like giving a gift to yourself.
The trick here is to give her lingerie for your own birthday. I've done this on several occasions..."honey, I got you a present for my birthday." Every woman I've ever done this for has loved it, as it made her feel beautiful and special even on my special day. If memory serves me correctly, I'm also batting 1.000 with regard to the woman in question more or less immediately donning said gift and, well, you know...
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 9th, 2009, 1:18 am

devildeac wrote:NOT Windsor's daughter.

My birthday is coming up on the 21st and I would happily accept Windsor's Daughter as a gift...
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------