Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by cl15876 » December 15th, 2009, 11:29 pm

devildeac wrote:Saranac Big Moose Ale-an American Pale Ale-A bit surprising is the fact that this actually tasted like an APA and not an IPA. Mrs. DD took a whiff and said, "Frazier Fir." That's pretty darn good for a wookie who doesn't even drink the stuff. I oughta keep her around for another 31 years or so :ymblushing: :-*.....
I sure would be!!!! You are a smart man, BTW, did you go to Duke? Ihear they learned a few things, like not P'ng on their hands! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 15th, 2009, 11:33 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:Saranac Big Moose Ale-an American Pale Ale-A bit surprising is the fact that this actually tasted like an APA and not an IPA. Mrs. DD took a whiff and said, "Frazier Fir." That's pretty darn good for a wookie who doesn't even drink the stuff. I oughta keep her around for another 31 years or so :ymblushing: :-*.....
I sure would be!!!! You are a smart man, BTW, did you go to Duke? Ihear they learned a few things, like not P'ng on their hands! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
I'm glad someone read that joke.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 15th, 2009, 11:35 pm

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
I'm glad someone read that joke.
:D i was rolling! :D :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 16th, 2009, 7:18 am

cl15876 wrote:Thank god I didn't provide that one as a trader! :( Jeez, I've been trying to recover from that Iron City for ... :-? :-? :-? :-? ... a month or more...... :ymsick: /:) Man can't anyone take a joke! :-s :-s :-s :-B :-ss :-ss :-ss :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: ;) :p :D
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » December 16th, 2009, 10:45 am

We stopped in the Berkshires (Red Lion Inn) on our way back from Boston. For lunch I tried a couple of the Birkshire Brewing Co's products--it was a tavern, what should I drink?.The Steel Rail was a good beer, the Coffee House Porter a very good beer. Someone else said their Seasonal Christmas beer was very good, but I did not catch the name nor purchase one (I had miles to go before I could sleep).
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » December 16th, 2009, 2:43 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:We stopped in the Berkshires (Red Lion Inn) on our way back from Boston. For lunch I tried a couple of the Birkshire Brewing Co's products--it was a tavern, what should I drink?.The Steel Rail was a good beer, the Coffee House Porter a very good beer. Someone else said their Seasonal Christmas beer was very good, but I did not catch the name nor purchase one (I had miles to go before I could sleep).
It has probably Holidale..which is a bit of a cross between a barleywine and a winter warmer..Pretty tasty.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » December 16th, 2009, 2:55 pm

Left Hand Oak Aged Widdershins---barleywine. Pours a ruby brown with almost no head. Fairly malty but not too sweet. Could be the oak, but the malts have a bit more of a smokiness to them than expected. There is some piney hop bitterness but it's fairly subtle and balanced well. Dry booziness in the finish. This was a decent barleywine and very well balanced overall but it came off a bit too muted and bland. Not nearly as good as their oak aged imperial stout which is excellent..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 16th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Saranac Rye IPA-an interesting brew. Not your typical IPA but with a bit of the usual suspects of pine/spruce and a bit of citrus. Good malt balance in a yellow-golden pour with the right amount of foam. The rye smooths it out a bit but makes it just a bit musty, kinda like the rye ale CB&B discussed a while back. Included as part of the painting purchase deal from last weekend :D . I'd guess the IBU to be about 50 and the ABV to be about 6%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 16th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Saranac Belgian Ale-part of their winter sampler and part of the picture purchase deal ;) :D . This is surprisingly good. I was expecting a Belgian white ale and got a dubbel instead. Two different hops and two different malts for a mildly fruity (think raisins and dates), mildly sweet and malty (think brown sugar) brew. This has a medium brown and slightly cloudy pour with the added/retained yeast. It is a bit "thin" for a traditional dubbel but is a solid brew. IBU is about 40 and the ABV is 5.9% so this is a good beverage with medium body stews, BBQ items on the slightly sweet side or with some light snacks. I'm saving the Caramel Porter to share with our son and Lavabe next week ;) :D .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 17th, 2009, 8:46 pm

I am enjoying a large bottle of Three Philsophers to enjoy it, not review it. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Tony will take over from here.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 17th, 2009, 8:52 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I am enjoying a large bottle of Three Philsophers to enjoy it, not review it. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
gosh, you are dating yourself! Ya know, I used to draw a perfect Tony the Tiger amongst several other comic book characters, but lost it somewhere along the life line..... :((, but I am still good at stick figures! ;) I talked to my son the other night and asked how his comic strip of the day in the life of colonial kid went as far as a grade - since daddy helped him think this out and execute (without doing it for him, which I wanted to do soooo bad, keep in mind he is in the 3rd grade) and he said.....
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 17th, 2009, 8:57 pm

cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I am enjoying a large bottle of Three Philsophers to enjoy it, not review it. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
gosh, you are dating yourself! Ya know, I used to draw a perfect Tony the Tiger amongst several other comic book characters, but lost it somewhere along the life line..... :((, but I am still good at stick figures! ;) I talked to my son the other night and asked how his comic strip of the day in the life of colonial kid went as far as a grade - since daddy helped him think this out and execute (without doing it for him, which I wanted to do soooo bad, keep in mind he is in the 3rd grade) and he said.....
Oh, I forgot I couldn't draw stick figures (which he is really good at, circle and a few lines that end up being a body and arms and legs), and I'm thinking, damn, his teacher really is pulling out the artistic abilities of these kids to draw fully configured beings... but then he recanted and said stick figures are okay.... WHO knows? I might have to discuss with his teacher who sort of looks like Tiger's soon to be X wife and always wears a kitty outfit for halloween! I asked my son (because I couldn't remember her name) how is your kitty teacher and he immediately corrected me, my teacher is Ms. Edwards (maybe Tony's X, my $0.02)! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) He is quick!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 17th, 2009, 9:03 pm

cl15876 wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
Oh, I forgot I couldn't draw stick figures (which he is really good at, circle and a few lines that end up being a body and arms and legs), and I'm thinking, damn, his teacher really is pulling out the artistic abilities of these kids to draw fully configured beings... but then he recanted and said stick figures are okay.... WHO knows? I might have to discuss with his teacher who sort of looks like Tiger's soon to be X wife and always wears a kitty outfit for halloween! I asked my son (because I couldn't remember her name) how is your kitty teacher and he immediately corrected me, my teacher is Ms. Edwards (maybe Tony's X, my $0.02)! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) He is quick!
Unless you snuck out at night while I was sleeping, how in the H-E-double hockey sticks do you know what Ms. Edwards wore for Halloween? (~~)
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 17th, 2009, 9:15 pm

CathyCA wrote: Unless you snuck out at night while I was sleeping, how in the H-E-double hockey sticks do you know what Ms. Edwards wore for Halloween? (~~)
Watch out.....uh..Tiger. :D
Now go hijack some other thread... =)) =))
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » December 18th, 2009, 7:51 pm

I was in the store yesterday and came across Brooklyn Black Ops and Goose Island Bourbon County Stout..both bourbon aged imperial stouts. I've been looking for Black Ops but couldn't pull the trigger at $25 for a 750ml bottle..I did snag the BCS at half the price which is still pricey but more palatable. This could be one of my favorite beers of all time..Pours a thick black was not even a hint of head. Taste up front is rich chocolate and vanilla. A bit of coffee bitterness comes in on the backside but it's fairly mild. Everything is wrapped together with a heavy but not overpowering bourbon kick. Way too drinkable for 13%.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 18th, 2009, 10:27 pm

bluebear wrote:I was in the store yesterday and came across Brooklyn Black Ops and Goose Island Bourbon County Stout..both bourbon aged imperial stouts. I've been looking for Black Ops but couldn't pull the trigger at $25 for a 750ml bottle..I did snag the BCS at half the price which is still pricey but more palatable. This could be one of my favorite beers of all time..Pours a thick black was not even a hint of head. Taste up front is rich chocolate and vanilla. A bit of coffee bitterness comes in on the backside but it's fairly mild. Everything is wrapped together with a heavy but not overpowering bourbon kick. Way too drinkable for 13%.
I need a drool icon. That sounds luscious.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 18th, 2009, 11:12 pm

CathyCA wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
cl15876 wrote:"quote="CameronBornAndBred""I am enjoying a large bottle of Three Philsophers to enjoy it, not review it. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Image"/quote"

Unless you snuck out at night while I was sleeping, how in the H-E-double hockey sticks do you know what Ms. Edwards wore for Halloween? (~~)
Honey they have there Halloween party at the school during the week prior to Halloween and that is where I met her (once with her boyfriend) and I would never snuck out on you, my :Heartthrob: throb!, YOU know that! ;) [-x [-x [-x [-x :D :ymhug: :ymblushing: :-*
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 19th, 2009, 9:57 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bluebear wrote:I was in the store yesterday and came across Brooklyn Black Ops and Goose Island Bourbon County Stout..both bourbon aged imperial stouts. I've been looking for Black Ops but couldn't pull the trigger at $25 for a 750ml bottle..I did snag the BCS at half the price which is still pricey but more palatable. This could be one of my favorite beers of all time..Pours a thick black was not even a hint of head. Taste up front is rich chocolate and vanilla. A bit of coffee bitterness comes in on the backside but it's fairly mild. Everything is wrapped together with a heavy but not overpowering bourbon kick. Way too drinkable for 13%.
I need a drool icon. That sounds luscious.
You have one:
=p~

I have seen that. I'll PM Lavabe and see if he can find it prior to his departure from KY land.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 19th, 2009, 9:59 am

cl15876 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
cl15876 wrote: Oh, I forgot I couldn't draw stick figures (which he is really good at, circle and a few lines that end up being a body and arms and legs), and I'm thinking, damn, his teacher really is pulling out the artistic abilities of these kids to draw fully configured beings... but then he recanted and said stick figures are okay.... WHO knows? I might have to discuss with his teacher who sort of looks like Tiger's soon to be X wife and always wears a kitty outfit for halloween! I asked my son (because I couldn't remember her name) how is your kitty teacher and he immediately corrected me, my teacher is Ms. Edwards (maybe Tony's X, my $0.02)! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) He is quick!
Honey they have there Halloween party at the school during the week prior to Halloween and that is where I met her (once with her boyfriend) and I would never snuck out on you, my :Heartthrob: throb!, YOU know that! ;) [-x [-x [-x [-x :D :ymhug: :ymblushing: :-*
Ahem. "Ymm, Beer" thread.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 19th, 2009, 10:05 am

devildeac wrote: ... Ahem. "Ymm, Beer" thread.
Oops, sorry about the diversion. Tony the Tiger started it! #:-s ;;)