Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » December 12th, 2009, 6:25 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:oops, getting off subject. sorry mods, please don't come down crashing on my head. i'm so afraid. ;) =)) =)) =))
Just mention a good beer in subsequent replies and you will be safe. ;) :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 12th, 2009, 6:41 pm

devildeac wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:
devildeac wrote:Absolutely. The more the hoppier. ;) :D
Very punny?
Good for what ales you... ;) :D
Oh jebus......
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 12th, 2009, 6:44 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote: Very punny?
Good for what ales you... ;) :D
Oh jebus......
Wait until you see what I come up with tonight after a Saranac and an Old Rasputin. :twitch: :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 12th, 2009, 8:17 pm

Ft Collins Chocolate Stout-No chocolate/cocoa used in the brewing process with this one but it is a solid example of a winter brew as it is deep brown with a 2 finger head out of a standard pour. A bit of coffee flavor (no coffee in the brew) but a bit more chocolate with its aroma and taste. IBU of about 30 and ABV of 5% from their web site so a nice brew to have with stews or spicy dishes or with dessert. Serve it slightly chilled or at room temp to appreciate all the flavors. I'll let 8-x off the :poo: list now ( ;) :D ) for his ironcity choice as this is the last of the traders except for some home brews I'm saving for Lavabe's arrival sometime soon. And it was a good selection.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » December 12th, 2009, 8:42 pm

Victory Yakima Twilight--I think this falls into the double IPA category though a bit of a unique take on it...Pours a reddish brown. Decent hop punch up front with lots of pine and citrus. The hops are balanced well (perhaps even overbalanced for the style) by a good malt presence but the malts are more toasted and not nearly as sweet as other malty double IPAs that I've tried. Some mild smokiness and a lingering bitterness in the finish. A nice robust double IPA that's hearty enough for the winter. ABV about 9%.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » December 12th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Alesmith Grand Cru---A belgian strong dark ale. Deep brown pour with a decent size head. Heavy and dense with lots of sweet malts blended well with strong cherry, plum and other fruit tastes. There is some yeast but more subtle than other similar beers. A slight sourness in the finish. This reminds me a lot of belgian stle christmas beers (St Bernardus Christmas, Toegs Mad Elf, etc.) A nice beer for sitting back and watching a good holiday movie (as I am presently doing with It's a wonderful life)...ABV of 10%...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 12th, 2009, 11:17 pm

I'm gonna go looking for the Victory brew. Might be able to find that one. Doubt I can find the 2nd one. Hmm, enjoying an ale and watching a movie...

Strictly Ballroom and a Saranac Black Lager-This brew was included as part of the painting purchases ;) :D . A German black lager, or schwartzbier. A bit thin on the pour, but expected as it is indeed a lager. This one has a whiff of milk chocolate and lightly roasted coffee flavors imparting a bit of a bite but moderately malty balance. Neither CB&B or I are big lager fans but this inclusion in the Saranac winter sampler is a pleasant starter brew at an estimated IBU of 20-30 and an ABV of about 5%. This would hold up well with BBQ fare, stews or grilled/roasted game. Can't wait to sample the other "extras." :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 12th, 2009, 11:31 pm

In a surprise turn of events, I did get Mrs. DD to sniff the Founders Imperial Stout. Her immediate reaction was, "mocha." Not bad. Not bad at all. She even requested a taste and that reaction was more predictable with a resounding, "bitter." She's actually quite correct as the IBU are 90. It deteriorated after that as her next comment was, "I don't see how you can drink something that looks like it should be in the engine of your car." Another astute observation as it is nearly black and mildly viscous but still not 5W-20 :roll: . I countered with, "yea, but you drink your Starbucks and other darkly roasted coffees with no cream and/or sugar and I have tasted them also and they are rather bitter." She said, "you know, you are correct. But I'm STILL not going to become a beer drinker." Just another reason why I love that woman :ymblushing: ;;) :-* .

Also, another cheap post as I have already reviewed the Founders Imperial Stout a month or so ago :)) =)) .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 12th, 2009, 11:33 pm

devildeac wrote:It deteriorated after that as her next comment was, "I don't see how you can drink something that looks like it should be in the engine of your car."
=)) =)) =))
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » December 13th, 2009, 11:26 am

devildeac wrote:... It deteriorated after that as her next comment was, "I don't see how you can drink something that looks like it should be in the engine of your car." Another astute observation as it is nearly black and mildly viscous but still not 5W-20 :roll: . ...
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
devildeac wrote:.... She said, "... I'm STILL not going to become a beer drinker." ...
A round of apple and chocolate tini's for that lady coming up!!!! ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 13th, 2009, 12:30 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:... It deteriorated after that as her next comment was, "I don't see how you can drink something that looks like it should be in the engine of your car." Another astute observation as it is nearly black and mildly viscous but still not 5W-20 :roll: . ...
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
devildeac wrote:.... She said, "... I'm STILL not going to become a beer drinker." ...
A round of apple and chocolate tini's for that lady coming up!!!! ;)
She won't drink those either :roll: . She'll politely taste one/both and then say, "a glass of chardonnay, please."
We will have to host a dessert some Saturday evening during this BB season like we did in February this year. That was fun.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 14th, 2009, 9:19 am

devildeac wrote:This goes somewhere between this thread and the "ychh, beer" one: Iron City lager, excuse me, premium lager :roll:. A thin brew with little hop or malt presence (insert canoe joke here). I'd guess the ABV about 4-5% with an IBU of 1-2 (or less). Redeeming feature: a competitor with PBR, I'd guess, for the lawnmower beer award. There's no bad taste here, there's just so little of it.

Sorry 8-x , just had to post it. I know you included it in the 6er as somewhat of a joke (I hope) so I can appreciate your humor, but, moreso, it makes me highly appreciative of your other selections so far this fall, especially the Immort Ale and 120 Minute IPA you included in your previous group of traders. :-* :ymhug:
Just as I'm saving the next 120 for a good victory, I'm saving the iron city for....the next time I'm completely out of beer. =))
I ran out of beer yesterday (not homebrew, just storebought) so I had the Iron City. It was wet and had bubbles in it.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 14th, 2009, 9:33 am

devildeac wrote:This goes somewhere between this thread and the "ychh, beer" one: Iron City lager, excuse me, premium lager :roll:. A thin brew with little hop or malt presence (insert canoe joke here). I'd guess the ABV about 4-5% with an IBU of 1-2 (or less). Redeeming feature: a competitor with PBR, I'd guess, for the lawnmower beer award. There's no bad taste here, there's just so little of it.

Sorry 8-x , just had to post it. I know you included it in the 6er as somewhat of a joke (I hope) so I can appreciate your humor, but, moreso, it makes me highly appreciative of your other selections so far this fall, especially the Immort Ale and 120 Minute IPA you included in your previous group of traders. :-* :ymhug:
Just as I'm saving the next 120 for a good victory, I'm saving the iron city for....the next time I'm completely out of beer. =))
I ran out of beer yesterday (not homebrew, just storebought) so I had the Iron City. It was wet and had bubbles in it.
Was it at least cold, too?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 14th, 2009, 11:41 am

:)) :)) :)) and DD - yes it was a joke compared to all the other quality brews. Remember, I forgot the 6 to fill the slots of the dated brew, hmmm, what was it, 2 degrees below or something like that. I haven't tried it yet, but went out on Saturday night with my local cousins to a pizza place and on tap they had something call Red Roof or Red Rock (a PA beer, I've never had) but I had 4 of those over the course of 5 hours of food and talking and catching up with everyone and it actually wasn't too bad. I think it was the better choice compared to the others on tap (bud and miller light and guiness (wasn't in the mood for this)). I'll have to do some digging and see if I can find out more about this beer and formulate a review. I think it is a little more upscale than that wonderful Iron City or at least the price per serving ($4.75) would lead you to believe. :)) The psychology, a $5 :beer: must be better than a $2/3 :beer:, right? :-? ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 14th, 2009, 12:36 pm

:)) :)) =)) =))
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » December 15th, 2009, 3:52 pm

I have just returned from visiting the boy child and family (new grand daughter) in Boston. Three dinners in his condo--three beers. Each was from Stone out of San Diego. 1) Ruination--very hoppy--he loves it, I thought so/so. 2) Imperial Russian Stout--I loved this one, it is a limited release, I felt the hop taste was just right. 3) Smoked Porter--I love porters and this confirmed my belief that these are best beers.

Back out to Fort Collins and the girl child and her family for Christmas--I WILL convince them to try a float with the Chocolate Stout. :D

I was in Durham a week ago for a ball game--enjoyed the beer list and pizza at Satisfactions, then bought some Fat Tire at a carry out to take home. I thought about using it as presents, but then thought again.

Not much time to post, and just a little time to read--have a great holiday, everyone.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 15th, 2009, 10:57 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:I have just returned from visiting the boy child and family (new grand daughter) in Boston. Three dinners in his condo--three beers. Each was from Stone out of San Diego. 1) Ruination--very hoppy--he loves it, I thought so/so. 2) Imperial Russian Stout--I loved this one, it is a limited release, I felt the hop taste was just right. 3) Smoked Porter--I love porters and this confirmed my belief that these are best beers.

Back out to Fort Collins and the girl child and her family for Christmas--I WILL convince them to try a float with the Chocolate Stout. :D

I was in Durham a week ago for a ball game--enjoyed the beer list and pizza at Satisfactions, then bought some Fat Tire at a carry out to take home. I thought about using it as presents, but then thought again.

Not much time to post, and just a little time to read--have a great holiday, everyone.
should have called us... :(
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 15th, 2009, 11:03 pm

Victory Old Horizontal Barleywine Ale-This was a bit disappointing compared to several years worth of Victory products I have enjoyed, especially this one. Best description is: a bit rough. Certainly very hoppy/bitter with a ton of crystal malt and others to balance the bite. This reminded me of Bigfoot when it is first released as it is borderline undrinkable but smooths our nicely over a year or three. I think I have had this bottle since the spring of this year. I have a couple others and they will go in the "cellar" to age a year or two. This would be good with hearty far like ribs and spicy foods. I'd guess the IBU to be 80-90 and the ABV, IIRC, is 11%.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » December 15th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Thank god I didn't provide that one as a trader! :( Jeez, I've been trying to recover from that Iron City for ... :-? :-? :-? :-? ... a month or more...... :ymsick: /:) Man can't anyone take a joke! :-s :-s :-s :-B :-ss :-ss :-ss :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: ;) :p :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 15th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Saranac Big Moose Ale-an American Pale Ale-A bit surprising is the fact that this actually tasted like an APA and not an IPA. Mrs. DD took a whiff and said, "Frazier Fir." That's pretty darn good for a wookie who doesn't even drink the stuff. I oughta keep her around for another 31 years or so :ymblushing: :-* . Nicely balanced ale with a bit of citrus, moderate amount of pine blended with the Centennial and Cascade hops for a guesstimated IBU of 40-50 and an ABV of about 5-6%. Serve this with fish or fowl, appetizers or snacks. A solid session brew included in the price of the paintings from this weekend's journey to Morehead City.