Because it has to be discussed (Bret Favre)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Because it has to be discussed (Bret Favre)

Post by rockymtn devil » May 6th, 2009, 6:02 pm

I despise Bret Favre. Most importantly, I never disliked him before the summer of 2008. He was annoying with his I-need-to-be-loved/will-I-won't-I routine every off-season down the stretch, but it didn't lead me to hate him. Now I hate him.

In May of 2008, after announcing his retirement in March, he informed the Packers that he really was retired and had no intention of coming back. The Packers then began to prepare for the 2008-2009 season with Aaron Rogers at the helm. Of course, as we all know, the moment Favre was out of the spotlight, he decided he wanted to play again and, with "secret" media leaks and comments from his family, built up a buzz that tried to cast the Packers as villains who turned their backs on him. He cried his way out of Green Bay and onto New York where...wait for it...he played like a 39 year old quarterback who isn't capable of leading a successful team.

Then he retired--after months of speculation. Again. And then, yet again, with the spotlight off him, he decided he wanted to play. He asked the Jets to release him so that he could sign with another team. That other team is the Minnesota Vikings. He has no interest in playing elsewhere because this isn't about playing football or winning games or being a good teammate. It's about using another franchise to "get back" at the team that he thinks wronged him (in Favre's world, playing a better QB and looking out for the franchise's best interest is wrong). The worst part is that he thinks he's entitled to get back at the Packers.

Bret Favre has proven himself to be more narcissistic and bratty than T.O and Chad OchiCinco combined. At least those guys are honest about their selfishness. More importantly, at least they back up, to a certain extent, their attitudes. Favre's a drugstore cowboy acting like an American hero who, in reality, is the epitome of what's wrong with much of American professional sports. He's an awful teammate who has no interest in anyone but himself. I hope the Vikings sign him, not because I dislike the Vikings, but because, at this point, I want Bret Favre's career to end in embarrassment and that's exactly what will happen. He deserves to be remembered as the petulant brat he is and not the guy who led the Packers to a Super Bowl title.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Because it has to be discussed (Bret Favre)

Post by bjornolf » May 6th, 2009, 6:07 pm

I don't know that Rodgers is the better QB at this point in his career, but Favre's behavior has been rather abhorrent as of the last couple seasons.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 6th, 2009, 9:23 pm

I hope he comes back. I'm not a huge fan, but he keeps things interesting, and if he can play power to him. Hell, he's my age I think, and I got all sorts of aches and pains, and don't play sports. I just hope his career doesn't go the way of Jordan, who went out at the top, only to come back to really not add much other than a celebrity interest. (The Wizards years, just to be clear.)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 6th, 2009, 9:47 pm

bjornolf wrote:I don't know that Rodgers is the better QB at this point in his career, but Favre's behavior has been rather abhorrent as of the last couple seasons.

%%-
I think Rogers is better now (he had a better year last year), but I agree with your sentiment. It isn't that Favre wants to keep playing. It's that he manipulates the story so that he is always in the spotlight. And then acts like he's struggling with the decision. It's grown tiresome. We've seen the man behind the curtain and he's an aging QB with a vendetta and a sense of entitlement.

CB&B, I think he's already reached the "Wizards-era Jordan" level. If he gets his way, he will have played for 3 teams in 3 seasons. That's an important point. Neither the Jets nor the Packers wanted him anymore. Last year he threw 22 tds and 22 ints (by comparison, Aaron Rodgers had 28/13) . To end the season, the Jets went 1-4 and failed to make the playoffs. In those games he had 2 tds and 9 ints. Much of their demise can be laid at his feet. He ran out of gas in his arm, which led to weak throws, which led to ints. His apologists will say he was hurt. Of course he was hurt. He's 39 and playing in the NFL. That's the point. As put by Pete Prisco on CBS Sportsline, if he plays for the Vikings and they start him, not only will he be the third best starter in the NFC North (Cutler and Rodgers), he'll the third best QB on his own team.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 6th, 2009, 11:39 pm

Isn't there a Bret Favre drinking game?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 6th, 2009, 11:57 pm

CathyCA wrote:Isn't there a Bret Favre drinking game?
I don't know that game, but I've played the Zack Asack one.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 7th, 2009, 7:00 am

I don't need no stinkin' game to drink! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 7th, 2009, 7:42 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
I don't know that game, but I've played the Zack Asack one.
I rememer that one...

vt

drink everytime Asack runs...

or throws an interception...

I think a lot of chatters got hammered that game-by the 2nd quarter... :oops:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 7th, 2009, 1:53 pm

I play a NASCAR drinking game during races and a Favre game would be fun too (my roommate is an NFL junkie). Maybe we should make one up...
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 7th, 2009, 2:00 pm

colchar wrote:

... a Favre game would be fun too (my roommate is an NFL junkie). Maybe we should make one up...
Putting on the thinking cap! That sounds like a great idea! :-bd
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 7th, 2009, 5:34 pm

cl15876 wrote:
colchar wrote:

... a Favre game would be fun too (my roommate is an NFL junkie). Maybe we should make one up...
Putting on the thinking cap! That sounds like a great idea! :-bd
Hopefully, he will become a commentator as apparently he is staying retired: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30586830/

If he doesn't become a commentator, your game would be severely limited.

Maybe you can teach an "old" dog new tricks. (He is only old in NFL terms - not in real life!)
Life is good!
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 7th, 2009, 9:29 pm

I think he was good at what he did. HOF, certainly. Curse off, here goes...

HOF for idiots too. If the report was correct, he was offered 25 million by the Packers, to stay home and play with Mrs Favre for last season. How insane would I have to be NOT to take that job?

Pain...I love pain. I just love me some bruisin'.
Disappointment...frustration is my favorite emotion.
Fame...Too late, got it. Not much need for more. They all know me.
Poverty...Get real.

Maybe he's suffered through too many sacks.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 8th, 2009, 10:30 am

captmojo wrote:I think he was good at what he did. HOF, certainly. Curse off, here goes...

HOF for idiots too. If the report was correct, he was offered 25 million by the Packers, to stay home and play with Mrs Favre for last season. How insane would I have to be NOT to take that job?
For 25 million I would stay home and play with Mrs Favre for the season
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2009, 10:50 am

windsor wrote:
captmojo wrote:I think he was good at what he did. HOF, certainly. Curse off, here goes...

For 25 million I would stay home and play with Mrs Favre for the season
For 25 million, I might not even want to see a picture of Mrs. Favre first... :oops: :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.