Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » May 5th, 2009, 2:44 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Tilly needs to take one for the team and review a Hawaiian beer.
Wonder what else they have there beside Kona (which might be brewed in NH anyway :oops: ).
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 5th, 2009, 5:05 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Tilly needs to take one for the team and review a Hawaiian beer.
Wonder what else they have there beside Kona (which might be brewed in NH anyway :oops: ).
I told her in an email that maybe she could get her dad to try one. I don't know what breweries there are there, if any, but I'd imagine there would have to be at least one. If not, business venture anybody?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 6th, 2009, 8:34 am

Heck, I can't remember/find if I reviewed this here or not but here it is: CB&B's I Dunno But It's Good Brew- I think our fine administrator threw all his leftover hops and malts in his vat/tun/bathtub several months ago, added yeast and water and turned on the heat and this is what he created. And it is good. It most closely resembles a porter with a medium to dark brown pour which is fairly clear. Toffee is the closest taste and aroma I can describe. Light on the bitterness and I'd guess about 6% ABV.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 6th, 2009, 9:34 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:Here is the beer menu for the evening:

1. Chimay Grande Reserve
2. Kalamazoo Stout
3. 1554 Enlightened Ale
4. Dogfish Head Red and Blue
5. Ft. Collins Double Chocolate Stout-with
6. Ditto-without ;) -you figure that one out...
7. Duvel

I may have even missed one... :oops:
Quite a list..was that the order of consumption?
6. Ft Collins Double Chocolate Stout-plain-We decided to sample a couple ounces of this as a dessert drink and then as a float. The plain brew was like a slightly burnt high cocoa content liquid baking chip of bittersweet chocolate. Very roasty with a modest espresso taste, too. A bit more bitter than I thought it might be and the chocolate came from the malts and added cocoa I believe. I'd guess the IBU in the 60+ range and the ABV was 8.1% so it is in the imperial stout category.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 6th, 2009, 5:05 pm

devildeac wrote:Heck, I can't remember/find if I reviewed this here or not but here it is: CB&B's I Dunno But It's Good Brew- I think our fine administrator threw all his leftover hops and malts in his vat/tun/bathtub several months ago, added yeast and water and turned on the heat and this is what he created. And it is good. It most closely resembles a porter with a medium to dark brown pour which is fairly clear. Toffee is the closest taste and aroma I can describe. Light on the bitterness and I'd guess about 6% ABV.
The recipe was a bit more thought out than that, and I do rememeber I was pretty much shooting for a porter. But I never wrote down the ingredients, and my hydrometer broke, so it's a guessing game. It was one of my favorites though.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » May 6th, 2009, 9:53 pm

Has anyone tried the Sam Adams homebrewers pack? I saw it today and was tempted, but didn't pull the trigger. I'm sure it's interesting to say the least.

Instead I went with New Belgium Might Arrow. I've poo-pooed this beer in the past, so I wanted to give it another shot. My biggest gripe was less about the beer and more about how it replaced Springboard as NB's seasonal--and I loved that beer (apparently I was the only one). Mighty Arrow is an American style pale and a damn fine one at that. It has the piney, grassy hop presence that dominates APAs and avoids the lemony, mineral taste of many English versions. But it also has a nice honey-sweet malt backbone. This isn't an earth-shattering beer. But it is an excellent session brew (although at 6%, it's a bit much to session other than on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon) and one I'd recommend grabbing a 6 before they replace it with Skinny Dip sometime this month.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 6th, 2009, 10:05 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Has anyone tried the Sam Adams homebrewers pack? I saw it today and was tempted, but didn't pull the trigger. I'm sure it's interesting to say the least.
I'm assuming you mean this. I've never heard of it, or seen it, but it says it's a national thing. Being a homebrewer, I'll definitely be checking it out.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 6th, 2009, 10:09 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:Has anyone tried the Sam Adams homebrewers pack? I saw it today and was tempted, but didn't pull the trigger. I'm sure it's interesting to say the least.
I'm assuming you mean this. I've never heard of it, or seen it, but it says it's a national thing. Being a homebrewer, I'll definitely be checking it out.
Yep, that's it. Very cool for SA to do that.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 6th, 2009, 10:56 pm

devildeac wrote:Heck, I can't remember/find if I reviewed this here or not but here it is: CB&B's I Dunno But It's Good Brew- I think our fine administrator threw all his leftover hops and malts in his vat/tun/bathtub several months ago, added yeast and water and turned on the heat and this is what he created. And it is good. It most closely resembles a porter with a medium to dark brown pour which is fairly clear. Toffee is the closest taste and aroma I can describe. Light on the bitterness and I'd guess about 6% ABV.
The recipe was a bit more thought out than that, and I do rememeber I was pretty much shooting for a porter. But I never wrote down the ingredients, and my hydrometer broke, so it's a guessing game. It was one of my favorites though.
I was kidding about the assembly process... :oops:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 6th, 2009, 11:00 pm

Instead I went with New Belgium Might Arrow. I've poo-pooed this beer in the past, so I wanted to give it another shot. My biggest gripe was less about the beer and more about how it replaced Springboard as NB's seasonal--and I loved that beer (apparently I was the only one). Mighty Arrow is an American style pale and a damn fine one at that. It has the piney, grassy hop presence that dominates APAs and avoids the lemony, mineral taste of many English versions. But it also has a nice honey-sweet malt backbone. This isn't an earth-shattering beer. But it is an excellent session brew (although at 6%, it's a bit much to session other than on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon) and one I'd recommend grabbing a 6 before they replace it with Skinny Dip sometime this month.
I had one last year with a Grape Pale Ale and a maibock, IIRC. Both were pretty tasty. I liked their homebrew winners in the past and am glad they restarted the brewing of the winners again last year. A couple past gems were a hazelnut brown ale and a coffee or molasses stout. Lavabe has a bit better memory of one or both of those.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 6th, 2009, 11:05 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
Yep, that's it. Very cool for SA to do that.
See my prior post, too.

They did that for 2-3 years in a row about a decade ago and then stopped for ? reasons. I will definitely start looking for them this week and would encourage anyone reading here to do the same. You might not like some of the releases but they will be fairly unique and high quality brews.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 6th, 2009, 11:47 pm

devildeac wrote: I was kidding about the assembly process... :oops:
Oh I know, I was clarifying for the unedumecated. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 6th, 2009, 11:54 pm

I'm pretty sure this is a DD trade, but if not, he outta try it.
Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot. A good barley wine, one I've actually been able to hold onto for a while, since I'm not positive where it came from. I'm thinking he gave it to me at spring brunchgate.
Anyways, nice color, a light amber hue, low head as expected. Alchohol rich, but well balanced by the malts, good and raisanish. A nice bite to the finish, the flavor lingers a bit, which encourages a slow enjoyment. IF it is a brunchgate trade, I picked a good time to open it. I'm finishing my 2cnd spring game painting tonight, and chose this brew for the homestretch touches. Lots of body to it, if feels thick and is pretty sweet, which aludes to the raisany frutiness. Good stuff, potently brewed in Pa. 11.1% ABV. A little dab will do ya!

p.s. If raisany wasn't a word, it is now.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » May 7th, 2009, 9:25 am

Dogfish Head Immort Ale..excited to find a 4 pack of this at my local store. I've seen it described as a barleywine and as a strong ale and I'd probably go with the latter. An incredibly complex tasting beer. Pours a dark reddish brown...Taste starts off with sweet maple maltiness balanced with some smokiness. There seems to also be an undercurrent of belgium funkiness. The finish had a little more of a bitter hop bite to it. The beer was cold when I first started drinking it and the all the different flavors didn't seem to blend well. As it warmed, it seemed to mellow and I enjoyed the second half much more than the first. I probably won't be rushing out to buy another 4 pack of this (after I finish the other 3 I have) but it is a very interesting and unique tasting beer and worth trying..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 7th, 2009, 10:47 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm pretty sure this is a DD trade, but if not, he outta try it.
Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot. A good barley wine, one I've actually been able to hold onto for a while, since I'm not positive where it came from. I'm thinking he gave it to me at spring brunchgate.
Anyways, nice color, a light amber hue, low head as expected. Alchohol rich, but well balanced by the malts, good and raisanish. A nice bite to the finish, the flavor lingers a bit, which encourages a slow enjoyment. IF it is a brunchgate trade, I picked a good time to open it. I'm finishing my 2cnd spring game painting tonight, and chose this brew for the homestretch touches. Lots of body to it, if feels thick and is pretty sweet, which aludes to the raisany frutiness. Good stuff, potently brewed in Pa. 11.1% ABV. A little dab will do ya!

p.s. If raisany wasn't a word, it is now.
It is indeed a trader brew. If you can find a bomber or two of Blasphemy, buy them, drinking one that night and saving the other for 6-12 months. I think that is Blithering Idiot aged on oak, but I'd verify that at their web site as they age several of the year yound beers like that.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 7th, 2009, 10:50 am

bluebear wrote:Dogfish Head Immort Ale..excited to find a 4 pack of this at my local store. I've seen it described as a barleywine and as a strong ale and I'd probably go with the latter. An incredibly complex tasting beer. Pours a dark reddish brown...Taste starts off with sweet maple maltiness balanced with some smokiness. There seems to also be an undercurrent of belgium funkiness. The finish had a little more of a bitter hop bite to it. The beer was cold when I first started drinking it and the all the different flavors didn't seem to blend well. As it warmed, it seemed to mellow and I enjoyed the second half much more than the first. I probably won't be rushing out to buy another 4 pack of this (after I finish the other 3 I have) but it is a very interesting and unique tasting beer and worth trying..
Haven't had 1 of these for about a year but I try to buy a 4 pack everytime I see it and savor it over a year. One of my favorite beers of all time with the maple, vanilla, oak and dark fruity flavors, especially as it warms over the hour or so I sip it.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » May 7th, 2009, 4:16 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:Dogfish Head Immort Ale..excited to find a 4 pack of this at my local store. I've seen it described as a barleywine and as a strong ale and I'd probably go with the latter. An incredibly complex tasting beer. Pours a dark reddish brown...Taste starts off with sweet maple maltiness balanced with some smokiness. There seems to also be an undercurrent of belgium funkiness. The finish had a little more of a bitter hop bite to it. The beer was cold when I first started drinking it and the all the different flavors didn't seem to blend well. As it warmed, it seemed to mellow and I enjoyed the second half much more than the first. I probably won't be rushing out to buy another 4 pack of this (after I finish the other 3 I have) but it is a very interesting and unique tasting beer and worth trying..
Haven't had 1 of these for about a year but I try to buy a 4 pack everytime I see it and savor it over a year. One of my favorite beers of all time with the maple, vanilla, oak and dark fruity flavors, especially as it warms over the hour or so I sip it.
I definitely plan to let the other 3 warm prior to enjoying them..it really helped to smooth the taste..
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 7th, 2009, 9:55 pm

devildeac wrote:
Always look out for this any never see it. Now that I know it's been released this year, I'll seek it out. I saw a DFH IPA sampler pack the other day for $56. It included 4 each of the 60/90/120-Minute IPA. I haven't done the math to see if it's worth it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 7th, 2009, 10:36 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Always look out for this any never see it. Now that I know it's been released this year, I'll seek it out. I saw a DFH IPA sampler pack the other day for $56. It included 4 each of the 60/90/120-Minute IPA. I haven't done the math to see if it's worth it.
4x$1.60 each for the 60=$6.40(@$10/6er)
4x$2.50 each for the 90=$10.00(@$10/4 pack)
4x$8.00 each for the 120=$32.00(sold as singles)

I'd say not worth it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 7th, 2009, 10:42 pm

6.5-I have lost count-

Ft. Collins Double Chocolate Stout float-The scoop of vanilla ice cream really smoothed this out. It took away the bitterness and most of the espresso notes and enhanced the chocolate flavor. Both of the other tasters had never had a beer float before and were taken aback by the addition of the ice cream to the stout and were very pleased and amazed by the taste/texture of the concoction. Had this with some coffee/chocolate eclairs. Nice combination. But then again, this was our 6th or 7th beer tasting of the evening. :oops: