LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DukieInKansas » May 6th, 2009, 9:35 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:
It took me until senior year to figure out that 'Study Hard' poster that all the guys had in their rooms.
I never saw that poster.
Is it anything like the saying "A good man is hard to find" and it's corollary "A hard ......."?
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 6th, 2009, 9:36 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote: Interesting...I'm the only user here.
Whatcha using? Do we have to intervene? Do you have enough to share?
He must have shared - I'm the only user now.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » May 6th, 2009, 9:37 am

Bostondevil wrote:As you can see, I've decided it's time to get my post count up over 100.
I'm working towards a measly 30 - and this one does it.
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 6th, 2009, 9:48 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:
It took me until senior year to figure out that 'Study Hard' poster that all the guys had in their rooms.
I never saw that poster.
Is it anything like the saying "A good man is hard to find" and it's corollary "A hard ......."?
I see a very prominent "Do Not Enter" sign in this discussion... :oops: :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 6th, 2009, 10:12 am

I had one that said "justification for higher education" that showed a villa on a mesa overlooking the beach with a six car garage with a Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes, Lotus, and BMW in it.

I think the one they're talking about had a scantily clad woman being doused with water.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 6th, 2009, 10:15 am

You can see one of the versions of this poster here:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 1&ct=image

It's not HORRIBLE, but not 100% SFW if you work at a stingy place. It's a little racy, but no actual nudity.

%%-
Last edited by bjornolf on May 6th, 2009, 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 6th, 2009, 10:16 am

And here's a slightly different version of the justification for higher education poster I had. You can click on the link to see a larger version:

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Justifica ... 58604_.htm

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 6th, 2009, 11:28 am

I don't remember that version of the Study Hard poster. But I do remember seeing another version of it and chuckling.

My roommate Kim had a poster our freshman year that was entitled "Poverty Sucks," and it featured a guy in riding gear sipping a glass of champagne while leaning against a Rolls Royce. (Turns out, ExLax also had that poster, framed, but I wouldn't let him hang it in our home after we were married.)

Kim also had a poster of Jim Palmer, and by sophomore year, she had an autographed pair of Jim Palmer's tighty-whities to display alongside his poster.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 6th, 2009, 12:48 pm

CathyCA wrote:I don't remember that version of the Study Hard poster. But I do remember seeing another version of it and chuckling.

My roommate Kim had a poster our freshman year that was entitled "Poverty Sucks," and it featured a guy in riding gear sipping a glass of champagne while leaning against a Rolls Royce. (Turns out, ExLax also had that poster, framed, but I wouldn't let him hang it in our home after we were married.)

Kim also had a poster of Jim Palmer, and by sophomore year, she had an autographed pair of Jim Palmer's tighty-whities to display alongside his poster.
I didn't have that poster, but over Christmas my sophomore year, my brother game a a puzzle of Playboy Playmate "Marilyn" standing in her full glory, and glorious they were! :o :shock: When I put the puzzle together (I knew where all the pieces went ;) ) I glued it to two pieces of poster board - it was about 4 feet tall. My dorm room (room 207 in House O, the old Phi Psi section) had an entry alcove - when you walked in through the door the wall was just 3 feet in front of you and your turned right to go into the room. Marilyn adorned that wall :shock: :o :o greeting guests for 3 semesters as I lived in that room for 2 years. Beth "tolerated" it, after all, I had Marilyn before I met her ;)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 6th, 2009, 12:55 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I don't remember that version of the Study Hard poster. But I do remember seeing another version of it and chuckling.

I didn't have that poster, but over Christmas my sophomore year, my brother game a a puzzle of Playboy Playmate "Marilyn" standing in her full glory, and glorious they were! :o :shock: When I put the puzzle together (I knew where all the pieces went ;) ) I glued it to two pieces of poster board - it was about 4 feet tall. My dorm room (room 207 in House O, the old Phi Psi section) had an entry alcove - when you walked in through the door the wall was just 3 feet in front of you and your turned right to go into the room. Marilyn adorned that wall :shock: :o :o greeting guests for 3 semesters as I lived in that room for 2 years. Beth "tolerated" it, after all, I had Marilyn before I met her ;)[/quote

I guess that 2nd child your parents shouldn't have had wasn't so bad after all... ;)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 6th, 2009, 1:11 pm

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

I didn't have that poster, but over Christmas my sophomore year, my brother game a a puzzle of Playboy Playmate "Marilyn" standing in her full glory, and glorious they were! :o :shock: When I put the puzzle together (I knew where all the pieces went ;) ) I glued it to two pieces of poster board - it was about 4 feet tall. My dorm room (room 207 in House O, the old Phi Psi section) had an entry alcove - when you walked in through the door the wall was just 3 feet in front of you and your turned right to go into the room. Marilyn adorned that wall :shock: :o :o greeting guests for 3 semesters as I lived in that room for 2 years. Beth "tolerated" it, after all, I had Marilyn before I met her ;)[/quote

I guess that 2nd child your parents shouldn't have had wasn't so bad after all... ;)
One nice act doesn't make up for the rest of his life... :lol:

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 6th, 2009, 5:07 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: The Asus board was installed in July 2004, so I think I got my money's worth out of it. I've got an OEM copy of XP w/SP2 that I can install if I go that way. Why do you recommend XP?
Because it's a better OS than Vista for resources. Wait a few months until Windows 7 comes out, then upgrade to it. It's "Vista Corrected".
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 6th, 2009, 5:11 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: The Asus board was installed in July 2004, so I think I got my money's worth out of it. I've got an OEM copy of XP w/SP2 that I can install if I go that way. Why do you recommend XP?
Because it's a better OS than Vista for resources. Wait a few months until Windows 7 comes out, then upgrade to it. It's "Vista Corrected".
Many thanks to DA for her assistance, and to Chris for the advice. I've purchased my box (from CompUSA, fka Tiger Direct's store in Raleigh, because it was just plain a better deal than anything Costco and Sam's had to offer), but I haven't taken it out of it's box yet. Posting with my netbook still. That will change later tonight, I think.

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 6th, 2009, 5:19 pm

bjornolf wrote: Thanks. My only question is, will this work on a computer I can't even get to start up in safe mode? What do I do, download it with a different computer, burn it to a cd and put it in the disk drive as soon as I hit power on the old unit?
You create a boot disk, whether it's a cd or floppy. If you can't boot to that drive at all, your computer might not recognize it, and it won't work this way either. If that's the case, take it apart and throw it away.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » May 6th, 2009, 5:21 pm

You're more than welcome, Ozzie! Hope you enjoy your new machine!

In an entirely different direction, for those looking for lemurs today, check out the front page of http://www.live.com!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » May 6th, 2009, 5:33 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:You're more than welcome, Ozzie! Hope you enjoy your new machine!

In an entirely different direction, for those looking for lemurs today, check out the front page of http://www.live.com!
Did you have anything to do with that?
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 6th, 2009, 6:54 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:You're more than welcome, Ozzie! Hope you enjoy your new machine!

That's one of the two species I study... crowned lemurs. IIRC, that's a Franz Lanting shot taken in Ankarana. I study them about 20 km away in a rain forest (and elsewhere).

I'll be posting from the field in some 4 weeks or so.

WOO HOO!!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » May 6th, 2009, 7:02 pm

YmoBeThere wrote: Interesting...I'm the only user here.
Whatcha using? Do we have to intervene? Do you have enough to share?
Unfortunately, I used my car to drive back to work...
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » May 6th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Working my way to 100...
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » May 6th, 2009, 8:52 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:

Did you have anything to do with that?
I wish! If so, lemurs would figure prominently in the rotation! :D