Siblings

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Siblings

Post by CathyCA » May 5th, 2009, 9:20 am

How many of you have brothers and sisters? Tell us about them.

I have two brothers. I'm the oldest, but if you were to look at us, you would think that I am the youngest. ;)

One lives in Charlotte with his wife and their three kids--a son who is 17 and twins who are 10.

My other brother lives in Kitty Hawk with his wife and their two daughters, ages 9 and 6.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Siblings

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 5th, 2009, 9:47 am

I have a younger brother. I have one child and she is as close to perfect as anyone could possibly be. When you do it right the first time, one is enough. I learned from my parents' mistake. =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 5th, 2009, 10:27 am

I am an only child. My daughter is an only child.
One and done runs it the family. :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » May 5th, 2009, 12:28 pm

I have one brother, 18 months older than me. He and I were best friends growing up and he's one of the greatest guys in the world! It sucks getting old and moving away from each other. I really miss him. Jonathon was a Major in the Army but he is now safe at home with his family and enjoying a career in the private sector. I'm glad he doesn't have to carry a gun anymore. :-bd
sMiles
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 5th, 2009, 5:29 pm

My only brother was 9 years older than me. He lived in Columbia,SC for a long time then retired to Oahu, passing away in 2001.
I have a 1st cousin living nearby, 2 years my senior, that has always been the closest thing to a sister I may ever have. Someone once said that cousins were more of a coincidence than family.(Oh, interesting. We have the same grandparents) Not this one.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 5th, 2009, 5:37 pm

My wife and I are both only children, basically. She has two older half sisters she has contact with once every few years, and I have a half brother who's nine years older than I who I've never met.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » May 5th, 2009, 5:38 pm

I'm the oldest of 2. My sister is 2 1/2 years younger. We really don't get along- we're 2 very different people.

I've always dreamed of being an only child. Seriously.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 5th, 2009, 5:46 pm

I'm sure she has too. ;) I know people that can make that happen for you. :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar! :ar!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 5th, 2009, 5:52 pm

I'm extremely fortunate - 2 brothers and 2 sisters - all older. They are all wonderful people. We get along well - even if we don't see the brothers that often. One sister moved to PA 5+ years ago - her husband is still in the dog house for that! X( I miss having them around - especially the kids.
Life is good!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 5th, 2009, 7:22 pm

I have a younger sister who is awesome and an older step brother who lives in the Virgin Islands and an older step sister that I've never met! I have a few close "non-blood" brothers and sisters also!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 5th, 2009, 8:26 pm

cl15876 wrote:I have a younger sister who is awesome and an older step brother who lives in the Virgin Islands and an older step sister that I've never met! I have a few close "non-blood" brothers and sisters also!
Ooops, my college education has gone to waste... my step brother and step sister ........ should have been half-brother and half-sister! :oops: Guess I had to much partying going on! L-)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 5th, 2009, 8:57 pm

I have a sister.
I have friends on the internet that I know better.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 5th, 2009, 9:02 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I have a sister.
I have friends on the internet that I know better.
Well put.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » May 6th, 2009, 12:51 am

One brother, 3.5 years older; I'm grateful that he gave our parents a grandchild (and one more on the way), thus relieving me of a lot of pressure to have them. (Still want them, just not on demand.)

When I was younger, I used to hate him (older bro tortures annoying younger sis sort of relationship, coupled with severe parental favoritism issues) but as we've gotten older and have adult issues in common, he's now one of my better friends.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 6th, 2009, 7:23 am

DevilAlumna wrote: When I was younger, I used to hate him (older bro tortures annoying younger sis sort of relationship, coupled with severe parental favoritism issues) but as we've gotten older and have adult issues in common, he's now one of my better friends.
I think that's how it's SUPPOSED to go, right? ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Miles

Post by Miles » May 6th, 2009, 12:26 pm

bjornolf wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote: When I was younger, I used to hate him (older bro tortures annoying younger sis sort of relationship, coupled with severe parental favoritism issues) but as we've gotten older and have adult issues in common, he's now one of my better friends.
I think that's how it's SUPPOSED to go, right? ;)

%%-
Not for Jonathon and I. Growing up in the Navy meant we moved around a lot, seven different schools in five states before I was in the sixth grade. We had a hard time making and keeping friends so we were really tight. I'm glad that DA and big bro get a long better.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 6th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Yeah, I was an AF brat. Didn't have to move around QUITE that much, but I did go to five different schools in four different states in my 12 years from kindergarten to high school. And I was an only child, so I didn't have the built-in friend. It kinda sucked.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Miles

Post by Miles » May 6th, 2009, 12:30 pm

bjornolf wrote:Yeah, I was an AF brat. Didn't have to move around QUITE that much, but I did go to five different schools in my 12 years from kindergarten to high school. And I was an only child, so I didn't have the built-in friend. It kinda sucked.

%%-
Awww man I feel for ya. I would've gone nuts without my brother. But hey, you turned out pretty good: Skins fan, Duke fan, crazietalk poster. Who needs siblings? :p
sMiles
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » May 6th, 2009, 7:58 pm

I have one older brother (by 5 years) who used to be the bane of my existence, but now in adulthood, we are the best of buds. He works at Duke and for a time, he and I worked in the same building and within two floors of each other. Just enough room for two of us in one building! ha ha

I have a younger brother who is in his 9th year in the US Army (intelligence) and stationed in Fort Campbell KY and currently serving a six month hitch (his third) in Iraq. He has been to many places as you can imagine, and a lot of places he could never tell us about (again, as you may imagine). He's a good kid but has many lessons to learn as most in their late 20's do.

I have two step-sisters (one by my dad's re-marriage, one by my mom's re-marriage), but I have very little contact with one who lives a mile or two from my older brother, and no contact with the other who lives in VA. Oh yeah, and I have a step-brother too, but again, I have no contact with him either. :-? dang, that's a lot of people!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » May 6th, 2009, 8:43 pm

I have an older sister. Our relationship has its ups and downs. For months we will talk nearly daily then we will go several months without talking to each other. We're in the latter phase now after most of the winter in the former. Maybe its a weather thing?