LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Miles » May 5th, 2009, 3:32 am

Sue71 wrote:Been a while... don't neglect the LTE. :-?
Mmmm yes.
sMiles
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 5th, 2009, 6:07 am

OK. I've been inspired. May God help us all.

Many moons ago, when Son of mojo was a mere infant in diapers, he was dealing with issues of a digestive irregularity. Out of sorts. Alrighty, he was constipated. When he did exercise his functions, it produced a small hard little black turd. (I was modded once for that word on TOBEY)

Somewhere in this house there exists a rock. This rock appears exactly like what was being released by this child at the time. I found said rock in the driveway of the place we lived at the time. An idea *-:) was thrust upon me. This is why the rock has been retained in possession lo these may years.

When I first saw the rock, it hit me. This was gonna be great. I picked it up, took it inside and washed it. It now looked even more real. I smiled. The youngster had wet his Pampers and needed changing. Alone in the room with him, I placed the rock in the open diaper as he lay there, contentedly staring at the ceiling. I burst through the door then, excitedly calling for the First Mate to come and witness that he had finally had a bowel movement but she should see it. Then, before she arrived, I retook my place at Son's feet with diaper open and rock perfectly in place. When she arrived at the door, I put on my best smiling maniac expression and pointed to the prize. Then I picked it up and .... YES, placed it squarely in my mouth. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

She fainted. :ymapplause:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 5th, 2009, 6:10 am

Maybe the above deserves to be in "Dumbest thing" thread. Hmmm. :-?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 5th, 2009, 7:32 am

cl15876 wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Here's a better image that shows one of the sayings and the fact that it's hollow. They didn't have them when Sean was born, but they were really helpful with Michael.

%%-

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) I was reading from last post backwards and couldn't figure out from the replies :ymblushing: :oops: :-o what in the heck these were! After slipping on the rug earlier tonight and now thinking about rug burn protection, the vivid display of "WEE WEE MAN" just wasn't resonating until I saw the gerber baby picture with the application of the device in action! OMG! :D and it's only 3 easy payments of $19.95!!!! =)) =)) =)) =))
Wow, are you serious? I didn't even look at the price! When we bought ours, they were like $3.99 each.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 5th, 2009, 9:58 am

My (redacted expletive deleted!) desktop computer was dead this morning. Well, there was sort of a pulse put I think it is brain dead. It was acting funky yesterday, locking up a couple of times. This morning, the power light and hard drive working lights were both on but dimmer than "normal". Power switch wouldn't work so I killed the power to turn it off. With power restored, it wouldn't turn on, even after cooling off (I've had it shut of from over heating due to a dusty, dirty fan before, and cleaning the fan and letting the cpu cool down fixed everything - the fan wasn't dirty this time).

Since it did nothing when the on switch was pushed, I'm hoping it is a failed power supply. I'm taking it up to Intrex in Raleigh for diagnosis a little later this morning. If it is not the power supply, I fear the unit is a boat anchor, because it will be much cheaper to replace the thing than fix it. I hope I can transplant the hard drive (as a secondary drive) to a new unit if I go that way. Fortunately, all my files, except my years of stored email on AOL, are backed up on Carbonite.com .

Thank goodness for my netbook; at least I have internet access so I can post this :D I'll let you know how it turns out.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 5th, 2009, 10:37 am

Good luck Ozzie, hope it's just a power supply or bad RAM.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 5th, 2009, 10:54 am

Man that sucks. Good luck. Speaking of which, I have an old fried computer that I don't use anymore. It's an early Pentium II Gateway with a 19inch (not flatscreen) monitor. It has some kind of virus that REALLY mucked it up. You can barely get it started in safe mode. I was told the only real thing to do is to uninstall and reinstall the system software from scratch. Obviously, it's not something I'm willing to invest in at this point. However, it still has my data on it, so I'm afraid to get rid of it. How do I get rid of the data on it without being able to start it up? Do I buy a really big magnet and swipe it over it a few times? Where would I get such a magnet? Also, what do you do with old computers? Donate them? Where? Throw them out in the garbage? I'm really not sure what to do with it, and it takes up a lot of space.

Thanks.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 5th, 2009, 11:13 am

You can download tools from the harddrive manufacturer for free on their websites. Usually one of the utilities is a low level format option, which rewrites over the entire drive with 1's and 0's. This is more destructive than just a format (which doesn't delete anything), as in all the data that's on it now is overwritten with new info.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 5th, 2009, 11:16 am

Oh yeah, you can also disassemble the drive. Sorta cool to see what's on the inside, and once those platters hit dust, that's pretty much all she wrote. That's why when the big money data recovery guys do it, they are in clean rooms wearing environmental suits.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 5th, 2009, 11:49 am

bjornolf wrote:Man that sucks. Good luck. Speaking of which, I have an old fried computer that I don't use anymore. It's an early Pentium II Gateway with a 19inch (not flatscreen) monitor. It has some kind of virus that REALLY mucked it up. You can barely get it started in safe mode. I was told the only real thing to do is to uninstall and reinstall the system software from scratch. Obviously, it's not something I'm willing to invest in at this point. However, it still has my data on it, so I'm afraid to get rid of it. How do I get rid of the data on it without being able to start it up? Do I buy a really big magnet and swipe it over it a few times? Where would I get such a magnet? Also, what do you do with old computers? Donate them? Where? Throw them out in the garbage? I'm really not sure what to do with it, and it takes up a lot of space.

Thanks.

%%-
Don't know about the data issue but our city will have electronic recycling events once or twice a year where you can take old computers, tvs, etc. They recycle what they can from the units and limit what goes into a landfill.

Heard an interesting story about a group of women in a small Mexican town that are taking old computers apart and separating the items for recycling. They have had to fight to get a building and are trying to avoid paying any "fees" to city officials so they still don't have utilities. They have teamed with a company in New England that helped them get started.
Life is good!
Miles

Post by Miles » May 5th, 2009, 12:26 pm

captmojo wrote:OK. I've been inspired. May God help us all.

Many moons ago, when Son of mojo was a mere infant in diapers, he was dealing with issues of a digestive irregularity. Out of sorts. Alrighty, he was constipated. When he did exercise his functions, it produced a small hard little black turd. (I was modded once for that word on TOBEY)

Somewhere in this house there exists a rock. This rock appears exactly like what was being released by this child at the time. I found said rock in the driveway of the place we lived at the time. An idea *-:) was thrust upon me. This is why the rock has been retained in possession lo these may years.

When I first saw the rock, it hit me. This was gonna be great. I picked it up, took it inside and washed it. It now looked even more real. I smiled. The youngster had wet his Pampers and needed changing. Alone in the room with him, I placed the rock in the open diaper as he lay there, contentedly staring at the ceiling. I burst through the door then, excitedly calling for the First Mate to come and witness that he had finally had a bowel movement but she should see it. Then, before she arrived, I retook my place at Son's feet with diaper open and rock perfectly in place. When she arrived at the door, I put on my best smiling maniac expression and pointed to the prize. Then I picked it up and .... YES, placed it squarely in my mouth. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

She fainted. :ymapplause:
That was definitely NOT the dumbest thing I've heard today. Hysterical!
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » May 5th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Slow day on the LTE. :-w
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 5th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Betting we hit a 1000 by end of tonight.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » May 5th, 2009, 5:07 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Betting we hit a 1000 by end of tonight.
So I was looking at the post itself...
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
Sue71

To try to find where it shows what # in the thread it is...
Sue71

And can't seem to find it.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 5th, 2009, 5:08 pm

Apparently it only shows on the Our House thread list. :-q
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 5th, 2009, 5:08 pm

Can that be changed?
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 5th, 2009, 5:09 pm

So that it shows in each post, what # in the thread it is?
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 5th, 2009, 5:09 pm

Sue71 wrote:Apparently it only shows on the Our House thread list. :-q
Is it the number at the bottom of each page to the right of the Reply button?
Life is good!