Cowboys Practice Facility Destroyed

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Cowboys Practice Facility Destroyed

Post by Sue71 » May 3rd, 2009, 11:11 pm

Wow... thoughts & prayers to those injured.

Link
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Cowboys Practice Facility Destroyed

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 3rd, 2009, 11:48 pm

Sue71 wrote:Wow... thoughts & prayers to those injured.

Link
Is this anything like what Duke is planning to build for Coach Cut? I think I'll ask him on Tuesday night when I visit with him in Greenville, NC on his "tour".
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 4th, 2009, 7:37 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Sue71 wrote:Wow... thoughts & prayers to those injured.

Link
Is this anything like what Duke is planning to build for Coach Cut? I think I'll ask him on Tuesday night when I visit with him in Greenville, NC on his "tour".
I think it's more like the "Big Tent" that Duke puts up for the reunion dinner and dance.

But ask Coach Cut anyway!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 4th, 2009, 12:47 pm

I hate the cowboys about as much as anyone could, but man I feel sorry for them. This is one of those times that you feel for your enemy. I'm sure there are Skins fans (and every team has fans like this) who are happy and wishing it could have been WORSE, but I am NOT one of them. My prayers go out to their players, coaches, and families.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » May 4th, 2009, 2:48 pm

bjornolf wrote:I hate the cowboys about as much as anyone could, but man I feel sorry for them. This is one of those times that you feel for your enemy. I'm sure there are Skins fans (and every team has fans like this) who are happy and wishing it could have been WORSE, but I am NOT one of them. My prayers go out to their players, coaches, and families.

%%-
This is a horrible tragedy. No ill-wishing from this Skins fan.

How does something like this happen? Ugh.
sMiles
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 4th, 2009, 4:57 pm

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 4th, 2009, 5:01 pm

I've seen a few stories questioning "Why did this happen?" and how OSHA is looking into it. Jeez, it was a near tornado. Some things are just unavoidable rotten luck.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 4th, 2009, 5:05 pm

My question is why wouldn't SOMEBODY in the cowboy organization have been watching this? Surely there were weather warnings and stuff. Wouldn't a wife or somebody have called in? That's my question about this. Surely they knew that the facility wasn't tornado safe. Heck, anybody with two eyes could look at it and see that.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Miles

Post by Miles » May 4th, 2009, 5:39 pm

bjornolf wrote:My question is why wouldn't SOMEBODY in the cowboy organization have been watching this? Surely there were weather warnings and stuff. Wouldn't a wife or somebody have called in? That's my question about this. Surely they knew that the facility wasn't tornado safe. Heck, anybody with two eyes could look at it and see that.

%%-
Yeah I think bjornolf said it better than me. I understand how freak accidents happen; my point earlier was: "How could this be a freak accident?" Why wasn't someone going out to the big ass white tent and letting them know "Hey guys, there's a tornado kinda nearby, we should move somewhere safer."
sMiles
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 4th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Miles wrote:
bjornolf wrote:My question is why wouldn't SOMEBODY in the cowboy organization have been watching this? Surely there were weather warnings and stuff. Wouldn't a wife or somebody have called in? That's my question about this. Surely they knew that the facility wasn't tornado safe. Heck, anybody with two eyes could look at it and see that.

%%-
Yeah I think bjornolf said it better than me. I understand how freak accidents happen; my point earlier was: "How could this be a freak accident?" Why wasn't someone going out to the big ass white tent and letting them know "Hey guys, there's a tornado kinda nearby, we should move somewhere safer."
I saw a picture on the news tonight that was taken with a cell phone that showed the "Microburst" as it happened. A microburst is described as an upside down tornado. A freakish natural thing to happen, but you can rest assured that the law suits will be filed soon.

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 4th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Why would they build a practice facility out of something so flimsy in an area of the country that's prone to tornadoes? That just seems like piss-poor planning to me.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 4th, 2009, 8:56 pm

bjornolf wrote:Why would they build a practice facility out of something so flimsy in an area of the country that's prone to tornadoes? That just seems like piss-poor planning to me.

%%-
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 4th, 2009, 11:49 pm

When I lived in VA, a cat. 2 (barely) hurricane blew through. The amphitheater in the next town over had a semi-canopy/cover over the seats, and it was supposed to be able to withstand cat. 3 or so hurricane winds. Needless to say, it was torn up.

Before

After

Anyway, lawsuits, etc etc... blah blah.

Bottom line is that structures such as the Cowboys Practice Facility are more cost effective, yes, and are supposedly certified to withstand winds of up to X mph (depending on the structure, etc), but even at lower speeds, flying debris will tear through many of these tent-like coverings. And I say tent-like very loosely- they're obviously much, much stronger than that. But like I said, flying debris at 70 or so mph and you've got a problem on your hands.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 5th, 2009, 7:25 am

Reminds me of a Ron White joke about hurricanes. I'll paraphrase, but basically the joke states that every time a hurricane hits Florida, some mid 50s idiot who runs marathons says he's in good enough shape to withstand the winds of a cat-X hurricane, then ties himself to something to wait it out. The punchline is that in a hurricane, it ain't the wind that gets you, it's the stuff the wind's throwin' around. "Hey, this wind ain't so bad. Holy crap! Here comes a --" end of transmission.

Sorry, but when you're building a giant TENT, you have to take debris into account. They put those numbers in there to tell you it isn't just going to blow over on a gusty day. They don't put them in there to tell you it will actually SURVIVE a category-X hurricane/tornado. Also, tornadoes/microbursts and hurricanes are TOTALLY different animals. The facility might have withstood a hurricane, but they're more in tornado country than hurricane country there.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 5th, 2009, 8:29 am

Sue71 wrote:When I lived in VA, a cat. 2 (barely) hurricane blew through. The amphitheater in the next town over had a semi-canopy/cover over the seats, and it was supposed to be able to withstand cat. 3 or so hurricane winds. Needless to say, it was torn up.
What moron believed that a giant kite would withstand even a minimal hurricane? I'd be suing the guy who bought it, not the guy who built it.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Miles

Post by Miles » May 5th, 2009, 12:30 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Sue71 wrote:When I lived in VA, a cat. 2 (barely) hurricane blew through. The amphitheater in the next town over had a semi-canopy/cover over the seats, and it was supposed to be able to withstand cat. 3 or so hurricane winds. Needless to say, it was torn up.
What moron believed that a giant kite would withstand even a minimal hurricane? I'd be suing the guy who bought it, not the guy who built it.
The same moron that thought it would be good a idea to build a tent in a tornado prone zone?
sMiles