Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » November 8th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Just so this reaches its most appropriate destination:

Well, today's FB result spoiled my plans for #4000 as I had simply planned on posting the score or just a few sound effects of the victory bell being rung on our side of the field. Damn. Damn. Damn. Guess I'll just resort to posting a new beer review here (just as CathyCA predicted) and transferring it to the Ymm, Beer later (or even duplicating it so I can get 2 posts out of it :roll: :D) .

Gamma Ray-Terrapin Brewing Company, Athens, Georgia-This is a member of their monster beer tour and is a wheat wine, a variation of a barleywine that I had never heard of/tried before. Three malts, two hop varieties, two different types/style of honey, an IBU of 40 and an ABV of 10.8%. Yellow-golden in color, clear and with a very small head despite a vigorous pour. This reminds me of a mead with its sweetness and smoothness from the honey but there is no grape juice/wine in this brew. There is a hint of citrus from the wheat malt and some lemon grass taste and aroma. The esters smell/taste a bit like banana, cloves, apple and pear. Not brutal at all like many barleywines. This is sneaky/seductive with its ABV as it is very easy drinking. I'd like this in a goblet for dessert or with a fresh fruit plate with apples and pears, or a fruit salad, for dessert. I think CB&B and 8-x got a bottle of this as a trader and I would love to read their thoughts. I think I have 1 left and will cellar this for a year. I hope :ymblushing: :D .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 8th, 2009, 3:56 pm

devildeac wrote:I think CB&B and 8-x got a bottle of this as a trader and I would love to read their thoughts. I think I have 1 left and will cellar this for a year. I hope :ymblushing: :D .
Yes, and I just found it yesterday (while at the unc tailgate). My trader 6 pack has been cellared in my vehicle since the last brunchgate, and I didn't know it was back there. I just put it in the fridge for tonight. Right now I'm drinking Holy Mackeral's Special Golden Ale, another trader in the same lost 6 pack. High on maltiness, low on bitterness and carbonation, it has a distinct honey flavor that must come from the honey malts..I'm sure there is no actual honey in it. Also high ABV, 8.5%, this ale is very enjoyable, although I could stand a bit more of a head and carbonation action. Thanks much to DD for a fine brew, I'm sure this would cellar (intentionally) well.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 8th, 2009, 11:19 pm

Kirkland Pale Ale-The last of my gift beers from a patient. Pretty standard stuff here with a golden pour, modest head and herbal/floral notes with a mild caramel malt balance. Good with mild grilled fare, perhaps even some ribs. IBU of 35 and an ABV of 5.4%. For the Costco members, this 12 pack (or 24 pack) would be worth a purchase for your standard beer sampling. Heck you'd even have a buncha traders.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 9th, 2009, 9:04 am

Rogue Mocha Porter-A pretty classic brew. I think this has been around for about 16-17 years and perhaps more. The Rogue folks have been brewing since about 1988, IIRC. These are among the brews I would regularly transport back to NC after visiting my family in Oregon since about 1992, even touring the brewery on the coast and having a sampler there with my Dad about 15 years ago. The Mocha Porter is a dark brown ale with delightful notes of medium to dark chocolate and expresso. I'd guess the IBU is about 40-50 and the ABV 5-6%. This is the first brew I ever ordered as dessert but it would certainly pair nicely with game, BBQ chicken/pork/beef/ribs and chili. (Yes, Miles, I am talking to you ;) .)
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » November 9th, 2009, 9:22 pm

Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I could only find one six pack so far, but after one try tonight I am searching for more tomorrow. A little honey taste and a little malt. One of the better holiday brews I have had. With family coming from Colorado for the holidays, I think I will try to stock up. :-bd
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 9th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale-another trader from CB&B, IIRC. Rye malt added to your usual barley malt renders this a bit smoother and less bitter than your typical PA. Light golden color, modest head and gentle floral nose and palate. I'd guess the IBU to be 40-50 range and the ABV 5-6%. A good warm weather brew to be had with appetizers and mild grilled creatures from the land, sea or air.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 9th, 2009, 10:38 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I could only find one six pack so far, but after one try tonight I am searching for more tomorrow. A little honey taste and a little malt. One of the better holiday brews I have had. With family coming from Colorado for the holidays, I think I will try to stock up. :-bd
Good to see you back. Don't be a stranger ;) :D . If you got family coming for the holidays from Colorado, they oughta be bringing some of the New Belgium seasonals so they feel more welcome at your abode ;) :D .
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » November 9th, 2009, 10:49 pm

devildeac wrote:
ohioguy2 wrote:Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I could only find one six pack so far, but after one try tonight I am searching for more tomorrow. A little honey taste and a little malt. One of the better holiday brews I have had. With family coming from Colorado for the holidays, I think I will try to stock up. :-bd
Good to see you back. Don't be a stranger ;) :D . If you got family coming for the holidays from Colorado, they oughta be bringing some of the New Belgium seasonals so they feel more welcome at your abode ;) :D .
I have suggested that a few New Belgium's would go well with the Thanksgiving feast.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 9th, 2009, 10:53 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I have suggested that a few New Belgium's would go well with the Thanksgiving feast.
You are indeed wise beyond all your beers, err, years. ;) :D :roll:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 9th, 2009, 11:40 pm

devildeac wrote:Terrapin Rye Pale Ale-another trader from CB&B, IIRC. Rye malt added to your usual barley malt renders this a bit smoother and less bitter than your typical PA. Light golden color, modest head and gentle floral nose and palate. I'd guess the IBU to be 40-50 range and the ABV 5-6%. A good warm weather brew to be had with appetizers and mild grilled creatures from the land, sea or air.
Search for my review. :ymtongue:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 9th, 2009, 11:44 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Terrapin Rye Pale Ale-another trader from CB&B, IIRC. Rye malt added to your usual barley malt renders this a bit smoother and less bitter than your typical PA. Light golden color, modest head and gentle floral nose and palate. I'd guess the IBU to be 40-50 range and the ABV 5-6%. A good warm weather brew to be had with appetizers and mild grilled creatures from the land, sea or air.
Upon Further Review of the Review..the call on the field stands.
While the player did review the brew only briefly, the catch of "musty" was under control, and therefore complete. First Down.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 10th, 2009, 9:00 pm

Upon Further Review of the Review..the call on the field stands.
While the player did review the brew only briefly, the catch of "musty" was under control, and therefore complete. First Down.
:)) :)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 10th, 2009, 9:07 pm

Clipper City Heavy Seas-Small Craft Warning Uber Pils-This is really a bock beer, which is a lager but has far more breadiness and toastiness than the light, floral hop presence and slight bitterness of a pilsner. I suspect this has a fair amount of pale malt with some caramel malt and is a bit sweet as a bock should be. I'd guess the IBU to be 30-40 and the ABV is 7.5% so it is no lightweight. Good to match with lighter appetizers and entrees. A good trader but I can't remember 8-x 'cuz it's a NOVA/Md brew or CB&B 'cuz he likes this one so much. Don't much matter as it is a keeper.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » November 10th, 2009, 9:17 pm

devildeac wrote:Clipper City Heavy Seas-Small Craft Warning Uber Pils-This is really a bock beer, which is a lager but has far more breadiness and toastiness than the light, floral hop presence and slight bitterness of a pilsner. I suspect this has a fair amount of pale malt with some caramel malt and is a bit sweet as a bock should be. I'd guess the IBU to be 30-40 and the ABV is 7.5% so it is no lightweight. Good to match with lighter appetizers and entrees. A good trader but I can't remember 8-x 'cuz it's a NOVA/Md brew or CB&B 'cuz he likes this one so much. Don't much matter as it is a keeper.
I got that one special for you if memory serves me correctly! Glad you enjoyed! :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 11th, 2009, 8:31 pm

cl15876 wrote: I got that one special for you if memory serves me correctly! Glad you enjoyed! :D
I have one of those in my Clipper City sampler pack...and as DD noted it is one of my favorites. What I have before me now is the first of two CC beers to review...but I might not make it to the second. (Since I pre-reviewed tasted it). Up first is Peg Leg Imperial Stout....like coffee? You better, it's dominant here with some nice black patent malts mixed in as well, very toasty tasting. Well bittered for a stout, (40ish I'll guess for IBUs), it's all about the malts and the ABV though. 8%, and the malts are just a great mix. Subtle chocolate, medium coffee, and strong roasting all over. Pours a nice deep brown, but not black, low carbonation with a quick tan head. Less body than I would expect, and I can't decide if that is worth deduction points. If I blind tested, I'd be more tempted to call this a porter than a stout, but what's in the bottle is still a very good beer. Slightly misleading due to the name, so minor infraction points, but still a great brew worth recommendation.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Blowing Rock Winter Ale-Boone Brewing Company-from...

Bzzt! Not NC but from Wilkes Barre, PA.

A pleasant, dark brown but not opaque pour with a 1 finger tan head. This most resembles an ESB with some more hops and probably some special English dark malts (Otter?). I don't believe this has any spices and is a fairly standard winter ale. I'd guess IBU of 30-40 and an ABV of 5-6%. Would match BBQ ribs, chicken, pork or chili nicely. A drug rep and I traded 6ers yesterday but I still love ya, 8-x and CB&B and am filling up the empty spaces in your 6ers for Saturday. He left his 12 pack of 2 Below in Wilmington but he'll be back in a couple weeks with some more traders.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » November 11th, 2009, 9:50 pm

Odell Brewing Company (Ft. Collins, Colorado) Mountain Standard Ale

This is part of Odell's newly initiated reserve series (2009 being the first year; not sure if it will be an annual thing). The beer is called a mahogany ale, and it definitely looks very dark. On the nose, though, its bright and floral--hints of booze and grapefruit. The flavor has a bitter bite and lot of citrus (would not have expected that based on the color) and it finishes with a very pleasant honey sweetness. It's double-dry hopped, and that's apparent from the start. Between this and NB's Hoptober, I'm beginning to think that the new fad for autumn ales in Colorado are fall ales that have a serious hop presence. I'm not complaining.

The other beers in this series include a Bourbon Stout and, more excitingly, an India Barleywine.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 11th, 2009, 9:53 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:The other beers in this series include a Bourbon Stout and, more excitingly, an India Barleywine.
Uhhhh...I'm drooling over either option.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » November 11th, 2009, 10:06 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:The other beers in this series include a Bourbon Stout and, more excitingly, an India Barleywine.
Uhhhh...I'm drooling over either option.
Now wait a second, we had an INDIA PALE ALE, what is the difference between a PALE ALE and BARLEYWINE? CB&B, I think I slipped a HIGH SEAS into your 6'r because I paid attention! I still want to brew some RED ALE and EAT some of that BBQ or RIBS! :D
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » November 11th, 2009, 10:12 pm

cl15876 wrote: Now wait a second, we had an INDIA PALE ALE, what is the difference between a PALE ALE and BARLEYWINE? CB&B, I think I slipped a HIGH SEAS into your 6'r because I paid attention! I still want to brew some RED ALE and EAT some of that BBQ or RIBS! :D
The primary difference, IMO, is that a barleywine will have a much frutier, malty sweetness backbone. An IPA (or IIPA) makes no attempt at balance--it's all rampaging id (hops). Both beers, however, are at the high end in terms of bitterness (scaled on what's called an IBU rating; anything above 70 or so and you're talking bitter; above 90 and your taste buds will be seared and ruined for the night :) ). The Odells beer is, apparently, a hybrid IPA and barleywine.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.