The Recipe Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by Miles » April 29th, 2009, 5:01 pm

bjornolf wrote:That sounds really good to me, but that would be something my wife would say you only do if you had bad corn you didn't want to taste. ;) She gets it garden fresh, eaten within a day of picking, and I think she'd feel that disguised the taste of the corn too much.

%%-
Give it a shot, she might be surprised. If it's all the fixins, then you could definitely forgo the butter mixture. The real yumminess comes from the grill marks and the smoke. They really highlight the flavor.
sMiles
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Hootersville Hotchcakes!

Post by captmojo » May 3rd, 2009, 1:47 pm

Direct from the kitchen of Lisa Douglas:
Aunt Jemima mix (NOT COMPLETE VARIETY) 3 cups(half the box)
pinch of sea salt
2 tbs baking powder
mix dry ingredients
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 drops vanilla extract
when bubbles break (I usually tap the griddle to help'em along) flip'em

YMM, HOTCHCAKES!
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
captmojo

Hotchcake Update...PS

Post by captmojo » May 3rd, 2009, 1:51 pm

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that when you flip'em, they WILL rise again.
Do not be alarmed at this. A large pooof may also appear at the center. It will recede.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 12th, 2009, 8:29 am

My wife found a recipe estimation on the internet for Olive Garden's Zuppa Tuscano. I've made it five or six times, and it doesn't taste 100% the same, but it's awfully close, and it tastes really good. If anybody's interested, I'd be happy to post it.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 12th, 2009, 4:48 pm

bjornolf wrote:My wife found a recipe estimation on the internet for Olive Garden's Zuppa Tuscano. I've made it five or six times, and it doesn't taste 100% the same, but it's awfully close, and it tastes really good. If anybody's interested, I'd be happy to post it.

%%-
Please do! Do you think it is the spices?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 12th, 2009, 5:15 pm

bjornolf wrote:My wife found a recipe estimation on the internet for Olive Garden's Zuppa Tuscano. I've made it five or six times, and it doesn't taste 100% the same, but it's awfully close, and it tastes really good. If anybody's interested, I'd be happy to post it.
Never ask, just post!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » May 12th, 2009, 9:13 pm

It's always easier to ask for forgiveness rather than seek permission. *-:)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 12th, 2009, 9:51 pm

%%-
I join the votes for yes! I'm a huge fan of Zuppa Toscano.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 12th, 2009, 10:13 pm

captmojo wrote:It's always easier to ask for forgiveness rather than seek permission. *-:)
YOU SOUND like a NAVY GUY! :-bd
captmojo

Post by captmojo » May 13th, 2009, 6:01 am

cl15876 wrote:
captmojo wrote:It's always easier to ask for forgiveness rather than seek permission. *-:)
Not me, but my brother was and we knew this to be true way before he ever went in. :))
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 13th, 2009, 2:19 pm

My wife always says that.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 13th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Zuppa Toscano

1 lb. ground Italian sausage (I buy it at Wegman's. I like the hot, she likes the mild. I DON'T buy the link version, but the patty version.)
1 tsp. crushed red pepper (1.5-2.0 tsp. if you used the mild sausage or like it spicier.)
1 medium onion, diced
4 tbsp bacon pieces (we buy the Costco real cooked bacon pieces)
2 tsp. chopped garlic (I just buy the "wet" chopped garlic from Costco in the big jar... it's great)
10 cups water
5 chicken boullion cubes
1 cup heavy cream (we use fat free half and half... it actually tastes BETTER with that, oddly, and I'm NOT a fat free guy)
1 lb. potatoes (we use russet. wash them thoroughly but leave on the skins, as that's what Olive Garden does. slice them VERY thin --1/4" or less -- then dice small)
1/4 bunch of kale torn up small

Put water on to boil.
While that's getting hot, saute sausage with half of red pepper in a skillet, then drain mostly and remove.
In the same skillet as sausage was cooked (don't clean it out), saute bacon, onion, and garlic until onions is soft but not quite carmelized.
Once the water is boiling, add chicken boullion, and stir 'til dissolved. Add onions/bacon/garlic stuff to water with the rest of the red pepper. Add potatoes and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until potatoes are soft, about 25 minutes if you did them small.
Add cream and sausage and cook until heated. (I bring it back to a simmer but not quite a full boil).
Stir in kale just before serving.
Enjoy!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 13th, 2009, 2:51 pm

Mmm, I have all those ingredients now except for the cream and the kale. Might give it a shot this weekend.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 13th, 2009, 5:59 pm

captmojo wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
There is rationale behind that comment!
captmojo wrote:Not me, but my brother was and we knew this to be true way before he ever went in. :))
:)) =)) :)) =)) :)) I work with a variety of military folks and the difference between the Navy and Air Force (AF) is that AF always observes protocol and says "Mother may I" before moving forward.... and a REAL THINKING MAN/PERSON (now person to include those wonderful ladies) DOES then ASKS for FORGIVENESS! Hey, i've never been known to suffer from decision paralysis! :D
captmojo wrote: More akin to a TOP GUN!!!!! :D Take me to B.. or Lose me forever! :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 13th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Scalloped Potatoes

I'm making them from scratch tonight, instead of one of those boxes with dried cardboard discs on the inside of it. I grabbed the recipe from the internet, looks tasty. They are in the oven now, should go well with the fried pork chops I'm going to make with them.

4 cups thinly sliced potatoes, about 6 to 8 medium potatoes
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups scalded milk
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Preparation:
In a buttered 2-quart baking dish, place a layer of about 1/3 of the potatoes. In a cup or small bowl, combine flour with salt and pepper. Sprinkle about half of the flour mixture over the potatoes; repeat with another layer of potatoes and the flour mixture and top with remaining potato slices. Dot with butter then pour hot milk over potatoes. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle cheese over the top. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes, or until scalloped potatoes are tender and cheese has melted. Scalloped potatoes serves 6 to 8.
--By Diana Rattray, About.com
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 13th, 2009, 6:50 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Scalloped Potatoes

I'm making them from scratch tonight, instead of one of those boxes with dried cardboard discs on the inside of it. I grabbed the recipe from the internet, looks tasty. They are in the oven now, should go well with the fried pork chops I'm going to make with them.

4 cups thinly sliced potatoes, about 6 to 8 medium potatoes
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups scalded milk
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Preparation:
In a buttered 2-quart baking dish, place a layer of about 1/3 of the potatoes. In a cup or small bowl, combine flour with salt and pepper. Sprinkle about half of the flour mixture over the potatoes; repeat with another layer of potatoes and the flour mixture and top with remaining potato slices. Dot with butter then pour hot milk over potatoes. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle cheese over the top. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes, or until scalloped potatoes are tender and cheese has melted. Scalloped potatoes serves 6 to 8.
--By Diana Rattray, About.com
This sounds delicious! I might try this amongst some of the others! I will post one I am going to fix up also!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 14th, 2009, 2:24 am

Does anyone have a good, and preferably quick and easy, recipe for cornbread biscuits or muffins?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 14th, 2009, 7:09 am

Yeah, the Penguin brand cornbread mix is REALLY good. You can get it cheap at Costco. ;) I don't have a "from scratch" version.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 14th, 2009, 12:23 pm

bjornolf wrote:Yeah, the Penguin brand cornbread mix is REALLY good. You can get it cheap at Costco. ;) I don't have a "from scratch" version.

%%-

I'll have to check if it is available at Costco up here but I somehow think it won't be. Shitty.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 14th, 2009, 2:40 pm

Why not? Northern Virginia isn't exactly cornbread country. I hope it's there. It's pretty good. And very easy. If not, you'll have to finagle a trip down here and pick some up! ;) It would be pretty expensive, but I'd be happy to ship you a box if you pay for it.

or you can order it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Penguin-Natural-F ... 508&sr=8-1

I think it's a little more expensive than at Costco, but hey, if you like cornbread, it's worth it.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...