Albuquerque, NM?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Albuquerque, NM?

Post by rockymtn devil » April 23rd, 2009, 7:12 pm

So I'm contemplating a minor career change by switching to a very niche area of the law which is really where I want to be practicing--civil rights/constitutional litigation. There is a small firm (whose hiring partner is a Duke grad!) in Albuquerque that is looking for a young associate to bring in. My concern is that I have no interest in leaving Denver which, I'm confident, is America's best city :D But, this could be a great professional opportunity for me and could put me in a position to move back to Denver in the future with some experience in a niche field.

Anyone have any thoughts on Albuquerque as a city? How's the culture--food, music, outdoor activities, beer distribution? Despite its massive sprawl, Denver is very urban (the sprawl is so massive that the suburbs feel like they aren't in the city) and I can walk everywhere I need to. Is ABQ the same way?

If nothing else, my low-horsepower, rear-wheel drive car would probably perform better.

Thanks.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Albuquerque, NM?

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 23rd, 2009, 7:24 pm

I haven't been there since I was a kid, but it has long stood out as one of my favorite places in America. Both it and Santa Fe fascinated me, and NM as a state seemed to have a true culture that defined it's own identity. As an artist, it would be a dream place for me to live, as a beach lover, I'd be screwed. Have you visited? If not, I would and go bar hopping, talk to the locals and get your own feel. It's way up there on my lists of places to return to as an adult. (And I have a free place to stay due to family friend, that's a bonus)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 23rd, 2009, 7:45 pm

If you don't take advantage of the opportunity now, are you going to look back on it with regret in the future?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 23rd, 2009, 7:48 pm

CathyCA wrote:Image

If you don't take advantage of the opportunity now, are you going to look back on it with regret in the future?
Not if I hate Albuquerque ;)

At this point it's in the application phase, so I have some time think it over and, if I get an interview, I can make a trip down there and see how the city feels.

CB&B-thanks for the thoughts. I've been to southeastern NM before and thoughts it was gorgeous in a very sparse, quiet way.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 23rd, 2009, 7:53 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
CathyCA wrote: I've been to southeastern NM before and thoughts it was gorgeous in a very sparse, quiet way.
Yup, like lots of the South West, outside of the cities there's a whooooooole lotta dirt. It's pretty dirt, but it's still dirt.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » April 23rd, 2009, 8:59 pm

Ok you've gotten some good feedback so far, but I was in the same boat when I moved to LA. I loved Vegas and did not want to leave, but it was an opportunity I could not pass up.

Be really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really sure you want to uproot and make the move.

Consider how your quality of life will change, and I don't just mean financially. Is it someplace you will be happy for (X) years? Is it someplace you would want to stay long term if it came to that? Are you good with the "feel" of the area? How much time off will the job afford you, and how convenient will it be to see loved ones, or for them to see you? Can you participate in events and hobbies that you are used to?

I don't mean to be a downer, and I know this is about Albuquerque, but no detail is too small in a decision like this. Career vs Life (life style, balance, etc) is a really hard call to make sometimes.

EDIT: And Cathy's point is a good one:
But will you regret leaving Denver? That's something else to consider.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 23rd, 2009, 9:24 pm

Though my heart was already set on moving to North Carolina 11 years ago, I did come down to make sure this was a place I really wanted to live for a significant portion of my life.

Put your application in. If you get a chance to be interviewed, go and spend some time in Albuquerque before you make a final decision.

Ask the firm if you they can recommend a realtor to give you a tour of the area and show you some available homes, not sell you one, but more sell you on the area. When I worked as a physician recruiter at Duke we always set up recruits with a real estate agent to show them around the area they will be living in - most all the positions we recruited for were outside Durham.

Are you on any alumni email lists? If so, send an email to the list to see if you can get feedback, both positive and/or negative about Albuquerque, much like you are doing here.

There is nothing wrong with looking into this opportunity. You may find out you are perfectly happy in your current position as well as loving being in Denver.

We all should reach beyond our comfort zones to try something new.

Please keep us posted on how things are progressing, either way. :-bd
I worship the Blue Devil!
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » April 23rd, 2009, 9:32 pm

TillyGalore wrote: Put your application in. If you get a chance to be interviewed, go and spend some time in Albuquerque before you make a final decision.

There is nothing wrong with looking into this opportunity. You may find out you are perfectly happy in your current position as well as loving being in Denver.

We all should reach beyond our comfort zones to try something new.

Please keep us posted on how things are progressing, either way. :-bd

Definitely agree with what Tilly said. I didn't mean to imply you should necessarily stay with what you know, but if you are truly happy where you are, to really evaluate what you want before you move. Not like I've ever gone through this or anything.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 23rd, 2009, 9:37 pm

You have gotten some excellent advice so far; Sue, Tilly, and Cathy made excellent points (and bonus points to Cathy for the Bugs Bunny cartoon!). I was in a similar situation a year ago (last year at Job from Hell was 1 year ago Saturday!) and didn't want to move. Back then, my view of my current job is very much how you're looking at the opportunity in Albuquerque - I looked on it as a way to eventually get back "home." Ironically, after a year here, I'm not so sure that I want to move back. This job is 100x better than I even dreamed it would be. I'm throwing my hat in with the people who say that you should apply and see what happens, especially since it's an area of law that you're especially interested in. If it comes down to it, follow your gut. You'll know the right thing to do.

Best of luck and stong vibes to you!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
IamDuke
PW in training
PW in training

Post by IamDuke » April 23rd, 2009, 10:29 pm

I spent a week in Albuquerque a couple of years ago. Its a great place to visit. Its small. Great Mexican food. Some places I visit, I could vison living, some not. For me, Alburquerque would be a not. I do like what Tilley said. Apply for the job. Go and see. Good luck.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 24th, 2009, 10:36 am

Thanks to all for the thoughts and insights. At this point I think I owe it to myself to at least take the first step and I can cross each bridge as they come.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 24th, 2009, 11:10 am

ArkieDukie wrote:You have gotten some excellent advice so far; Sue, Tilly, and Cathy made excellent points (and bonus points to Cathy for the Bugs Bunny cartoon!). I was in a similar situation a year ago (last year at Job from Hell was 1 year ago Saturday!) and didn't want to move. Back then, my view of my current job is very much how you're looking at the opportunity in Albuquerque - I looked on it as a way to eventually get back "home." Ironically, after a year here, I'm not so sure that I want to move back. This job is 100x better than I even dreamed it would be. I'm throwing my hat in with the people who say that you should apply and see what happens, especially since it's an area of law that you're especially interested in. If it comes down to it, follow your gut. You'll know the right thing to do.

Best of luck and stong vibes to you!
You know, I could have just as easily quoted the lyrics to one of my favorite Partridge Family songs, "Point Me In The Direction of Albuquerque." But I wasn't sure that all of you were as familiar with that song as I am. L-)
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » April 25th, 2009, 5:15 pm

If I may offer this tiny tip for you to consider...

Drive down 40, about an hour outside of Albuquerque (either direction is fine). Do this late at night or perhaps right at dusk.

Pull of the side of the road, turn off the car and watch and listen. It will be absolutely awesome!

As far as living IN Abuquerque (is it just me or does others enjoy spelling "Albuquerque"? lol) I would recommend considering living on the edge of the big town (Los Lunas, or Rio Ranchos).
Found a link for you... a discussion joint for and about Albuquerque....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-mexi ... -live.html
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 30th, 2009, 8:30 pm

Thanks again for all the thoughts here. Knights68--thanks for the link (and I also loved typing Albuquerque).

No updates on that position, but in a potentially wonderful twist, right after I applied in NM, a similar job opened up with a very well known constitutional litigation firm in Denver. I applied and got an interview right away which happened this morning. They called back this afternoon and want me to come in for a follow-up with partners next week. Funny how things work out. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can make the career switch and not have to leave the sunshine state (gorgeous!).
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » April 30th, 2009, 8:56 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Thanks again for all the thoughts here. Knights68--thanks for the link (and I also loved typing Albuquerque).

No updates on that position, but in a potentially wonderful twist, right after I applied in NM, a similar job opened up with a very well known constitutional litigation firm in Denver. I applied and got an interview right away which happened this morning. They called back this afternoon and want me to come in for a follow-up with partners next week. Funny how things work out. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can make the career switch and not have to leave the sunshine state (gorgeous!).
Snap! That is awesome!

You definitely seem to have the mojo working for you... can you please send some my way too? ;;) :D ;;)
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 30th, 2009, 10:23 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Thanks again for all the thoughts here. Knights68--thanks for the link (and I also loved typing Albuquerque).

WOW! That is amazing! I'm crossing my fingers, toes, legs, and eyes that the job in Denver works out for you.

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 30th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Wow, that's great! Vibes coming your way!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » May 1st, 2009, 3:20 am

I think Sue hit the nail on the head. I've been in California since 2003, and while it's been an awesome adventure I sometimes have the feeling that I missed out on a lot back in Charlotte; and sometimes wonder if I made the wrong decision. I have some wonderful friends back there, my parents and my cousin that's a sophomore at UNC-Charlotte, and I've missed being a bigger part of their lives. I've missed the east coast: long leaf pines, Southern accents, the change of seasons, my favorite pub, the birth of my best friend's child, Bojangles, hell I even miss humidity. :p I've missed a lot.

So, is your career worth leaving one of America's best cities? In then end, it was probably worth it for me to leave Charlotte for my career but it came at a huge cost, so I'm headed back. Maybe 5 or 6 years away wouldn't kill you either. :-?

No matter what you decide, best of wishes to you.
sMiles
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 1st, 2009, 4:56 am

Best vibes coming your way from VA for next week!
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 11th, 2009, 10:26 pm

Well...for the civil rights job in Denver, I made the final two and they went with the other candidate. The firm was very gracious and want to keep in touch over the next few months to see if they can justify bringing me on in addition to the recent hire. In the end the other guy had 4 more years of trial experience than me (meaning he's tried cases himself) and I can't compete with that.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. The prospect of doing constitutional litigation got me very excited. At least it affirmed my desire to work in the field.