Duke v. Maryland...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke v. Maryland...

Post by devildeac » October 21st, 2009, 11:57 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Cut has announced Desmond Scott as the starting running back for Saturday's game. :D

http://www.heraldsun.com/pages/full_sto ... in_article
We're getting closer. What we'd love would be some big plays in the running game, some plays of more than 12 yards a little bit more often," he said. "We're not trying to run the ball 200 yards a game, but we want to be effective."
The drills didn't include senior Re'quan Boyette, who suffered another lower-body injury against the Wolfpack and wasn't back to practice as of Tuesday. Jay Hollingsworth, who hasn't been fully healthy since suffering an ankle injury in the second game of the season, is fast approaching full strength, but Cutcliffe said that Desmond Scott likely would start Saturday.
Boyette did make some nice plays off of receptions during the NCSU game...and I'd like to see Hollingsworth fully healthy. Interesting that there is no mention of Kurunuwe. He can obviously run, too.
Paging dukediv2012 for an update. Soon. ;) :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2009, 7:32 am

2 DAYS TO GO!!!!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
dukediv2012
PW in training
PW in training

Post by dukediv2012 » October 22nd, 2009, 6:10 pm

Jay Hollingsworth is practicing healthily now... finally.

Duke is motivated to win two ACC games back-to-back. It is time for the program to take this next step towards bowl eligibility.

There haven't been any major changes to the team throughout the last two weeks, but they are steadily improving upon the issues that harmed them in the earlier part of the season. Duke will play well this week and I expect to see all of you at the post-football-pre-basketball-dinnergate celebration!

GO DUKE! BEAT MARYLAND!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2009, 6:51 pm

dukediv2012 wrote: There haven't been any major changes to the team throughout the last two weeks, but they are steadily improving upon the issues that harmed them in the earlier part of the season.
I'd rather have steady improvement any day over major changes. Thanks for the update DD12.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2009, 7:05 pm

dukediv2012 wrote:Jay Hollingsworth is practicing healthily now... finally.

Duke is motivated to win two ACC games back-to-back. It is time for the program to take this next step towards bowl eligibility.

There haven't been any major changes to the team throughout the last two weeks, but they are steadily improving upon the issues that harmed them in the earlier part of the season. Duke will play well this week and I expect to see all of you at the post-football-pre-basketball-dinnergate celebration!

GO DUKE! BEAT MARYLAND!
If you read this tonite or tomorrow, what's the story with Randez (sp?) James?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 22nd, 2009, 7:06 pm

dukediv2012 wrote:Jay Hollingsworth is practicing healthily now... finally.

GO DUKE! BEAT MARYLAND!
DD2012, I presume that the coaches know the truth, have discussed it, and that thus you can answer this for me...
It's my understanding that one win vs. a 1-AA team (I refuse to call it "FCS") can be counted toward a D-1 team's overall record with regard to bowl eligibility. That would mean that the NCCU victory would count for us, and we'd need three more wins on the season to achieve eligibility. I've seen a number of columns/updates/etc. to this effect, but I've also seen countless reporters state that we in fact need four more wins to be bowl eligible. Do you (or anyone else) know the true answer?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2009, 7:15 pm

wilson wrote: It's my understanding that one win vs. a 1-AA team (I refuse to call it "FCS") can be counted toward a D-1 team's overall record with regard to bowl eligibility. That would mean that the NCCU victory would count for us, and we'd need three more wins on the season to achieve eligibility. I've seen a number of columns/updates/etc. to this effect, but I've also seen countless reporters state that we in fact need four more wins to be bowl eligible. Do you (or anyone else) know the true answer?
From HD's blog on ESPN..she explains it well enough..
because NC Central is still in the provisional phase of becoming an FCS school, it doesn't count towards bowl eligibility
A win over NCCU would NEVER have counted, so that's why 7 wins is the magic number. A victory over Richmond would have counted, and now we would only need 3 more..but that didn't happen.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 22nd, 2009, 7:35 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:From HD's blog on ESPN..she explains it well enough..
because NC Central is still in the provisional phase of becoming an FCS school, it doesn't count towards bowl eligibility
A win over NCCU would NEVER have counted, so that's why 7 wins is the magic number. A victory over Richmond would have counted, and now we would only need 3 more..but that didn't happen.
Well that just makes no damned sense...because NCCU is a step closer to D-1 than Richmond, it doesn't count, whereas Richmond, playing on an ostensibly "lower" level (to say nothing of the teams' true relative quality) would have counted? That's dumb.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2009, 7:39 pm

wilson wrote:
Well that just makes no damned sense...because NCCU is a step closer to D-1 than Richmond, it doesn't count, whereas Richmond, playing on an ostensibly "lower" level (to say nothing of the teams' true relative quality) would have counted? That's dumb.
You have that backwards..NCCU will be at Richmond's level...not Duke's, and they will be there next year.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 22nd, 2009, 9:30 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:You have that backwards..NCCU will be at Richmond's level...not Duke's, and they will be there next year.
OK, now I see. They are moving up from D-2 to D-1AA.
I retract my earlier statement. The rule of course makes sense.
dukediv2012
PW in training
PW in training

Post by dukediv2012 » October 22nd, 2009, 10:27 pm

Devildeac: Randez James won a position on a few of the special team formations for the State game and has maintained those roles this week. Look for him on Punt block/return (he was the player that received the "roughing the kicker" penalty vs. State even though it was a TERRIBLE call!), KO return and possibly Punt and KO. He is a speedster. No doubt.

NCCU does not count towards bowl eligibility, BUT from sources I have heard, if Duke were to get to 6-6, the ACC could and probably would send an appeal into the bowls to get Duke into a bowl because NCCU was considered to be an eligible team when Duke scheduled them, but then fell on hard times. That being said... Duke really should win 4 of 6 games to be considered a viable bowl team.

GO DUKE! BEAT MARYLAND!
OldPhiKap
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by OldPhiKap » October 22nd, 2009, 11:13 pm

Part of changing the culture at Duke is changing the expecations. I am confident that the team has done so, and I am more than assured that the coaching staff demand so.

Beat the Twerps. Skin the Cav/Wahoo/whatevers. GTH,C. Then let's assess where this team is.

Whatever happens this year, I've bought in to the Cut program. But if the seniors REALLY want it, it's in your control.

Get 'er done, boys.

RIP 'EM UP, TEAR 'EM UP, GIVE'M HELL DUKE!!!!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » October 23rd, 2009, 7:41 am

OldPhiKap wrote:Part of changing the culture at Duke is changing the expecations. I am confident that the team has done so, and I am more than assured that the coaching staff demand so.

Beat the Twerps. Skin the Cav/Wahoo/whatevers. GTH,C. Then let's assess where this team is.

Whatever happens this year, I've bought in to the Cut program. But if the seniors REALLY want it, it's in your control.

Get 'er done, boys.

RIP 'EM UP, TEAR 'EM UP, GIVE'M HELL DUKE!!!!
I'm so glad you're here. I've missed you!
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 23rd, 2009, 8:03 am

dukediv2012 wrote:Devildeac: Randez James won a position on a few of the special team formations for the State game and has maintained those roles this week. Look for him on Punt block/return (he was the player that received the "roughing the kicker" penalty vs. State even though it was a TERRIBLE call!), KO return and possibly Punt and KO. He is a speedster. No doubt.

NCCU does not count towards bowl eligibility, BUT from sources I have heard, if Duke were to get to 6-6, the ACC could and probably would send an appeal into the bowls to get Duke into a bowl because NCCU was considered to be an eligible team when Duke scheduled them, but then fell on hard times. That being said... Duke really should win 4 of 6 games to be considered a viable bowl team.

GO DUKE! BEAT MARYLAND!
Good info. Thanks.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 24th, 2009, 10:06 am

SMEAR THE TURTLE!!!
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » October 24th, 2009, 5:44 pm

wilson wrote:
Wilson, I think your overall understanding is correct re: wins over 1-AA teams and bowl eligibility. IIRC, a 1-A team can count a victory over a 1-AA team once every few years (I think it's once every 4 years). Since Duke hasn't used any wins over a 1-AA team towards bowl eligibility in recent years, the win over Richmond would have counted. Apparently because NCCU is "probationary", that game doesn't count (news to me; thanks to CB&B for posting the HD ESPN blog info).

But, if my understanding is correct, if Duke were to get to 6-6 and be allowed to count the NCCU victory, we would not be able to count a win over a 1-AA team for the next few seasons (I'd like to see Duke get beyond scheduling 1-AA teams, but I doubt that will happen; the entire SEC does it every year).

MORE IMPORTANTLY, back-to-back conference wins! Great win for the Devils. Against State we pulled away late. Today, we won a close 4th quarter game. These are the types of wins Duke wasn't getting in years past. Last year, Coach Cut taught the team to compete. This year he's taught them to win. Go Devils!
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » October 24th, 2009, 7:52 pm

Lord have mercy! We had a football game today! It was imperfect. It wasn't pretty. But we won!!!!!! The clock management at the end was brilliant. Maryland had used up their time outs as they worked at how to get the ball so they could score at least one more time. We had several time outs left and used them to great advantage.

Watch out Virginia!!!!!
CowboyDevil
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by CowboyDevil » October 25th, 2009, 12:10 am

What a day. This team has heart. This team is on the verge of doing something special. We all need to be thankful and appreciate what a great leader can do for a Football team. Coach Cut thanks for taking a chance on Duke. Any one who is able should plan on being at the next game (Nov. 14 vs Ga. Tech). The Brunchgate crew will be in full force. And the team will need all of our support.

Go Duke. CowboyDevil :ymdevil:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 25th, 2009, 11:08 am

The boys found a way to win in a situation in which, for the past decade-plus, they've found (often infuriating) ways to lose.
That said, there were some disappointing elements of the game. I thought we played sloppily for much of the second half, and we definitely should have scored at least one more touchdown (the late turnovers were nearly disastrous). Maryland's final touchdown came on a shocking series of defensive lapses, and the runner was barely touched on the play.
All of that said, I can deal with a sloppy performance on what was, to be fair, a sloppy day.
One disappointment I can not deal with: the fans. If you've already sat through the whole game in the rain, and the team needs a final defensive stand to preserve a victory, why the hell are you just sitting there like bumps on a log? Victories remain too precious around here for Duke fans to treat them as a commonplace like that. Fourth-quarter crowd noise was pitiful, and on the final defensive series, I could not believe that a) people were so quiet that it made me wonder if they were even aware of what was happening in the game, and b) when exhorted to make more noise, they just responded with quizzical looks and/or chuckles. I thought that really sucked.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 25th, 2009, 11:10 am

The game was so much fun. As DukePA pointed out yesterday, it so much fun the watch fans leaving. THEY WERE NOT OURS!! As the players walked past our CTN tent during Devil Walk, they were upbeat and smiling. Ima passed out some on her wonderful buttons to players and some players had them on already, thanks to Ima last home game. Some of the players stopped by on their way out and talked to us. Happy bunch of guys.(cb#s, do I need to add #s to bunch of guys) :)) :)) Wow, what a day. We are not last in ACC football, guess who's on the bottom of our division? I think "mary had a little lamb. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: GO DUKE!! GTHC GT HELL! If you can't go to hell, go to State!!!!!! :D :D :D :D