PWing School Chancellor

Swine Flu

Post by CathyCA » April 29th, 2009, 11:07 am

:@) :@) :@) I got this email this morning from my son's school:
To:
CC:
Date: 4/29/09 6:22 AM
Subject: Swine Flu Update

A Branham student has tested positive for Swine Flu. This student was last in school on Thursday, the 23rd of April, and may have spread the virus. In order to limit exposure, the Santa Clara County Department of Health and the Campbell U nion High School District have decided to close Branham for seven days, the regular incubation period for the virus. School will reopen next Wednesday, the 6th of May.

Please monitor your student for the symptoms of flu, which are fever, cough, sore throat and chills. If such symptoms develop, call your doctor. We have no further information at this time. We will post updated information on our district website as we receive it.
So, my kid doesn't have school for a week. I called :)] him and his dad this morning and woke them up :o) to tell them the news. :@) :@) :@) They're in the middle of standardized testing this week, and he has the SATs on Saturday. We're not sure how this seven day school closing is going to affect testing, or if it will lengthen the school year. Stay tuned. . . :@) :@) :@)

I've gotten more emails about hand-washing, how to sneeze correctly (into your elbow, a la Dracula), and which symptoms to watch for (cold, flu, fever, chills, sore throat, muscle pain).

And then I'm getting forwarded emails from others telling me that the :@) Swine Flu :@) is nothing more than a public relations stunt fueled by Big Pharma to boost their stock.

The closing of an entire high school for a week seems a bit drastic. Is it an over-reaction? Won't most of the kids spend their week at the mall, coming in to contact with more random people and spreading the virus further? Is the :@) Swine Flu :@) a real epidemic, or is it a way for the drug companies to sell more of their products?

In the meantime, those of you who play World of Warcraft, watch out for Devil45450 this week. He's going to be very busy online the next seven days. :@) :@) :@)
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: Swine Flu

Post by TillyGalore » April 29th, 2009, 11:20 am

President Obama has recommended closing schools when there is an exposure. Considering how quickly this appears to spread, I think closing the schools is fine. However, the kids really need to stay home and not hang out at the malls. The obstacle with kids is that they feel the are invincible, which is natural of people their age. In fact, I'm going to keep my babies home so they don't come anywhere near the swine flu. ;)
I worship the Blue Devil!
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Shammrog » April 29th, 2009, 12:33 pm

In the hope of acquiring antibodies to the swine flu, I resolve to be as big a pig as possible over the coming weeks.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 29th, 2009, 12:50 pm

I'm hungry for ribs on the grill.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » April 29th, 2009, 4:02 pm

Let's all take out our revenge on the swine. I'm making carnitas for dinner.
-- DukeUsul
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 29th, 2009, 4:05 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Let's all take out our revenge on the swine. I'm making carnitas for dinner.
I'll be leaving Tyson's shortly! What time should I stop by? Ya want me to swing by Sweetwater's off of 50 up here in VA and bring some thirst quenching enjoyment for us to enjoy? ;)
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » April 29th, 2009, 4:32 pm

cl15876 wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Let's all take out our revenge on the swine. I'm making carnitas for dinner.
I'll be leaving Tyson's shortly! What time should I stop by? Ya want me to swing by Sweetwater's off of 50 up here in VA and bring some thirst quenching enjoyment for us to enjoy? ;)
Mmmmmmm, beer. A little Negra Modelo would go perfectly.
-- DukeUsul
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 29th, 2009, 7:47 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
Mmmmmmm, beer. A little Negra Modelo would go perfectly.
I almost bought some of that a bit ago at the grocery store, but got some Sam Adams Hefi.... will provide review after I taste one or maybe a few! :-bd