2009 MLB Playoffs Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: 2009 MLB Playoffs Thread

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 11th, 2009, 6:33 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:So I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I'm surprised that there hasn't been any questioning of MLB's decision to postpone last night's Phillies-Rockies game. First and foremost, there was not enough snow in Denver to justify the decision. A dusting that stopped by noon. Six hours before first pitch. It was really cold last night, but MLB didn't base its decision the cold and, as far as I'm concerned, cold isn't a reason to not play an outdoor sporting event (if you're going to put teams in cities like Denver, you have to understand that the fall can be cold).
Baseball is not a cold weather sport. Never has been, never will be, and I don't care if Bowie Kuhn wears an overcoat in late October or not ;)

Thank goodness the Twins still have the dome for tonight's game. In future years, playing the twins in the playoffs will be something to avoid.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » October 11th, 2009, 8:05 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:So I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I'm surprised that there hasn't been any questioning of MLB's decision to postpone last night's Phillies-Rockies game. First and foremost, there was not enough snow in Denver to justify the decision. A dusting that stopped by noon. Six hours before first pitch. It was really cold last night, but MLB didn't base its decision the cold and, as far as I'm concerned, cold isn't a reason to not play an outdoor sporting event (if you're going to put teams in cities like Denver, you have to understand that the fall can be cold).
Baseball is not a cold weather sport. Never has been, never will be, and I don't care if Bowie Kuhn wears an overcoat in late October or not ;)

Thank goodness the Twins still have the dome for tonight's game. In future years, playing the twins in the playoffs will be something to avoid.
I respectfully disagree. If you're going to call your premier event the "October Classic", be prepared for October weather. If you're going to put a team in a city like Denver, you have to anticipate October weather in Denver. That includes cold. Unless, of course, you never expect the team from Denver to make it far enough for this to matter (which, given baseball's salary/revenue structure, I have no doubt is the point).

I can remember the Florida Marlins beating the Cleveland Indians in snow during the 1997 "October Classic", so cold and snow in October are not unique to the mountain time zone.

All I'm saying is that yesterday's game should not have been postponed. And, the decision by MLB undoubtedly favors one team in this series. That one team happens to be the defending World Champions and a team from a larger market than the Colorado Rockies (not to mention that MLB must be dreading a Rockies-Dodgers NLCS which would guarantee no east coast fans would stay up late enough to watch, let alone be interested). And the media hasn't even raised an eyebrow?
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 11th, 2009, 9:06 pm

An A bomb. from ARod!
Hip hip Jorge! Hip hip Jorge!

Turk

Post by Turk » October 12th, 2009, 7:54 am

Half-dozed through the Phillies - Rockies Game 3 last night so I could tell the kids who won while they were getting ready for school. I am not a ballplayer and I slept in my van by the river last night, but it seems to me it's not as hard to play in the cold as it used to be when I was a kid, what with Gore-Tex, baseball hats with earflaps, big huge propane heaters in the dugouts, little pocket hand warmers, and other 21st-century ways to fight foul weather.

My big beef is the crazy starting times. The October days can be quite pleasant; it's those late evening starting times that suck. I'm not going to let my kids stay up to watch a game that starts at 10PM, I don't care who's playing. (Well, Duke in the finals on the first Monday in April might be the only exception). :D

As for the Phils, they ground out a nice win, phighting off the Rockies and an ump with a strike zone the size of a postcard. Lidge closed out the game, allowing a couple of walks and easy popups, and if he shows signs of life after the craptastic season he's had, they could fix a big hole in the bullpen and be a dangerous threat to repeat. I loved the move by Ol Cholly to let Lidge mop up and get the last out when the Phils clinched the East in Philly a few weeks ago. The fans went nuts (in a good way), Lidge got mobbed by his teammates, they got to wear "NL East Champs" shirts after the game, and it was a great way to remind Lidge "you used to be good at this" and help get his mind right.

I was surprised the Cards rolled over after their ace lost - I would have guessed that series was going 5 when it started.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 12th, 2009, 9:40 am

Turk wrote:Half-dozed through the Phillies - Rockies Game 3 last night so I could tell the kids who won while they were getting ready for school. I am not a ballplayer and I slept in my van by the river last night, but it seems to me it's not as hard to play in the cold as it used to be when I was a kid, what with Gore-Tex, baseball hats with earflaps, big huge propane heaters in the dugouts, little pocket hand warmers, and other 21st-century ways to fight foul weather.

My big beef is the crazy starting times. The October days can be quite pleasant; it's those late evening starting times that suck. I'm not going to let my kids stay up to watch a game that starts at 10PM, I don't care who's playing. (Well, Duke in the finals on the first Monday in April might be the only exception). :D

As for the Phils, they ground out a nice win, phighting off the Rockies and an ump with a strike zone the size of a postcard. Lidge closed out the game, allowing a couple of walks and easy popups, and if he shows signs of life after the craptastic season he's had, they could fix a big hole in the bullpen and be a dangerous threat to repeat. I loved the move by Ol Cholly to let Lidge mop up and get the last out when the Phils clinched the East in Philly a few weeks ago. The fans went nuts (in a good way), Lidge got mobbed by his teammates, they got to wear "NL East Champs" shirts after the game, and it was a great way to remind Lidge "you used to be good at this" and help get his mind right.

I was surprised the Cards rolled over after their ace lost - I would have guessed that series was going 5 when it started.
Phantastic recap, Turk. Thanks. I had turned off the game when it was tied and hadn't looked online to see who won. Go Phillies! I really enjoyed the game I saw in the new ballpark last summer - great atmosphere and facilities.

Turk

Post by Turk » October 12th, 2009, 4:23 pm

I was remiss in omitting yet another blown call by the umpires in the 9th. Rollins singled and got bunted to 2nd by Victorino. Utley swung at a pitch and hit it into the dirt at his feet. It bounced up, glanced off his knee while he was still in the box, and rolled into the infield. Utley took off down the line and beat the throw. Shoulda been a foul ball; instead runners at 1st and 3rd, setting the table for Howard's sac fly ball.

Not as bad as the fly ball down the line in the Twinkies game the other night, but definitley hurt the Rockies big time.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 12th, 2009, 5:35 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Phantastic recap, Turk. Thanks. I had turned off the game when it was tied and hadn't looked online to see who won. Go Phillies! I really enjoyed the game I saw in the new ballpark last summer - great atmosphere and facilities.
Good food?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 12th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Lavabe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Phantastic recap, Turk. Thanks. I had turned off the game when it was tied and hadn't looked online to see who won. Go Phillies! I really enjoyed the game I saw in the new ballpark last summer - great atmosphere and facilities.
Good food?
Yeah, I think it was. I got, what else? A cheese steak.

Turk

Post by Turk » October 13th, 2009, 8:03 am

My next trip, I need to try a "Schmitter", a sammich made popular by a local watering hole. They also have "Bull's BBQ", named after Greg "The Bull" Luzinski, in a blatant ripoff of Camden Yards. They just use the name; I don't believe Luzinski hangs out every game like Boog does. Here's the details on the Schmitter and a quick list of the more popular food choices at The Bank. (Bring a crate of Zocor and a defibrillator just in case!) :D

http://www.the700level.com/2005/09/the_schmitter_s.html

Back to baseball - thought we were heading for a game 5 in the NLCS, but the Phillies manufactured a great win somehow. I thought they were dead in the water when Utley made the wrong choice with that baserunner in his face and Madsen blew the save in the 8th. I'm thinking it was a good no-call on the fielder's interference, but Utley definitely flinched, and it looked to me like the runner grazed him when he jumped around Utley. And Ol Cholly might be onto something using Lidge for less than an entire inning - maybe that gives Lidge less time to get all mental out there.

So Phils vs. Dodgers and Yanks vs. Angels... I think the Phils are better than they were last year but haven't paid attention to the Dodgers. Ozzie, Windsor, do you see any threat from the Angels? (Especially since A-Roid seems intent on finally shedding his "A-Fraud" or "Mr. April" nicknames...)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 13th, 2009, 8:34 am

Turk wrote: So Phils vs. Dodgers and Yanks vs. Angels... I think the Phils are better than they were last year but haven't paid attention to the Dodgers. Ozzie, Windsor, do you see any threat from the Angels? (Especially since A-Roid seems intent on finally shedding his "A-Fraud" or "Mr. April" nicknames...)
I think the Angels are a real threat, but in September the Yankees finally started beat them at their own game, winning a makeup game at Yankee Stadium early in the month and then taking 2 of 3 in Anaheim late. I really was hoping for another series with the Red Sox (nodding to BD), but against either team, I think this is the Yankees' year. The pitching, both starting and relief, is first rate, and we all know that hot pitching stops hot hitting, but it is nice that the only hitter we've got who is slumping is Johnny Damon. I'm very happy for ARod and hope that he keeps hitting the ball hard and "where they ain't!"

Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » October 14th, 2009, 4:21 pm

The Playoffs start tonight!!!!!

It's the Dodgers versus the Rockies - in Newton Central Little League Fall Ball. GO DODGERS!!!! Son Tommy is the left fielder.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
weezie

Post by weezie » October 14th, 2009, 5:30 pm

OK then!!! Go Dodgers!!!!

(Don't let your son sit next to Manny... :-$ He's kind of strange :-\ )
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » October 15th, 2009, 8:28 pm

Agreed, Go Dodgers!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 16th, 2009, 11:22 pm

Yay Dodgers, boo Yankees.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 16th, 2009, 11:28 pm

Let's go Yankees!

YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 16th, 2009, 11:35 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Let's go Yankees!
Interesting that you would quote Long Duk Dong.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 18th, 2009, 12:08 am

Angels with a one run lead in the bottom of the 11th. Let's see if they can hang on.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 18th, 2009, 12:16 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Angels with a one run lead in the bottom of the 11th. Let's see if they can hang on.
Apparently not... :Boo: ~x( :sigh:

I wanna go to bed, why couldn't they end this?
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 18th, 2009, 10:13 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Angels with a one run lead in the bottom of the 11th. Let's see if they can hang on.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

ARod - the new Mr. October!

Yanks win 4-3 in 13, the winning run scoring on a throwing error by the second baseman.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 18th, 2009, 10:31 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ARod - the new Mr. October!
Did the Yankees win on Reggie's hits? Because the Yankees haven't won yet off an A-Rod hit. They've just not lost. And yes, there is a difference.