Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by bluebeer » April 28th, 2009, 9:27 am

Clipper City Holy Sheet Abbey Ale..Pours a very dark reddish brown. I used my Chimay goblet for effect. I was sort of expecting something similar to Ommegang but taste was far different from other American or even Belgium versions. Lots of sweet fruity notes but it also had a tart funky bite to it especially as it warmed. Lots of malt but again the fruit seemed more pronounced than anything else. Carbonation was mild. It was not at all what I expected and different form most others in this style but I liked it and was glad a bought a 6 pack. I may go back and pick up the Heavy Seas sampler to try some of the others...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 28th, 2009, 9:50 am

bluebear wrote:Clipper City Holy Sheet Abbey Ale..Pours a very dark reddish brown. I used my Chimay goblet for effect. I was sort of expecting something similar to Ommegang but taste was far different from other American or even Belgium versions. Lots of sweet fruity notes but it also had a tart funky bite to it especially as it warmed. Lots of malt but again the fruit seemed more pronounced than anything else. Carbonation was mild. It was not at all what I expected and different form most others in this style but I liked it and was glad a bought a 6 pack. I may go back and pick up the Heavy Seas sampler to try some of the others...
Discovering new breweries is fun, isn't it? :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 28th, 2009, 9:55 am

bluebear wrote: I may go back and pick up the Heavy Seas sampler to try some of the others...
Good idea, you will be happy. Their Pils is great, (Uber Pils I think) and I'm not a pilsner person.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 28th, 2009, 10:02 am

devildeac wrote:Discovering new breweries is fun, isn't it? :D
Sure is..Especially ones where you can buy a 6 pack of good beer for the price of a bomber of some other brewers...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 28th, 2009, 10:08 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bluebear wrote: I may go back and pick up the Heavy Seas sampler to try some of the others...
Good idea, you will be happy. Their Pils is great, (Uber Pils I think) and I'm not a pilsner person.
I still wish the sampler had the barley wine included but it did seem like a good mix..and at 90 degrees up here in Boston today, it's definitely more pils or IPA weather..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 28th, 2009, 10:53 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:Discovering new breweries is fun, isn't it? :D
Sure is..Especially ones where you can buy a 6 pack of good beer for the price of a bomber of some other brewers...
My guess is that those 22 ounce or 750 ml bottles are more expensive to produce, but you're correct about the prices of a 6er vs a bomber can be nearly equal. I wish the brewers would put some of those specialty products in the smaller bottles so we could enjoy 1-2 this year, trade a couple and then cellar a couple for a year or two. :D
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Schlafly Raspberry Hefeweizen

Post by ArkieDukie » April 28th, 2009, 9:04 pm

I finally found the Raspberry Hefe! This beer is described as a "refreshing, unfiltered wheat ale with natural raspberry flavor added". The beer is light brown in color with a pinkish tinge. The fruit is obvious in the smell and also in the taste. The raspberry lends a hint of tartness. Carbonation also seems lighter than the Wheach (or my taster is off). I like this better than the Wheach, but I'm not sure that I could exactly say why. Is my taste more refined or less refined?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Schlafly Raspberry Hefeweizen

Post by cl15876 » April 28th, 2009, 9:08 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I finally found the Raspberry Hefe! This beer is described as a "refreshing, unfiltered wheat ale with natural raspberry flavor added". The beer is light brown in color with a pinkish tinge. The fruit is obvious in the smell and also in the taste. The raspberry lends a hint of tartness. Carbonation also seems lighter than the Wheach (or my taster is off). I like this better than the Wheach, but I'm not sure that I could exactly say why. Is my taste more refined or less refined?
I will have to look for that! I think it is the color that makes mentally makes the taste buds say, YUMMY! :p
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 28th, 2009, 9:27 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I finally found the Raspberry Hefe! This beer is described as a "refreshing, unfiltered wheat ale with natural raspberry flavor added". The beer is light brown in color with a pinkish tinge. The fruit is obvious in the smell and also in the taste. The raspberry lends a hint of tartness. Carbonation also seems lighter than the Wheach (or my taster is off). I like this better than the Wheach, but I'm not sure that I could exactly say why. Is my taste more refined or less refined?
I've never seen any of their beers, but will keep an eye out. Sounds delicious. Ft. Collins Brewing Co. makes a pomegranate wheat, but it's mediocre. I like the idea of fruit wheat beers so long as it's subtle.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 29th, 2009, 9:13 am

Victory Golden Monkey Tripel--I am a big fan of Victory--Old horizontal is probably my favorite barley wine and I really like their double IPA (Hop Wallop) and stout (Storm King), so I was excited to try this. It's a decent tripel though I wouldn't put it in the same class as the above. Pours a fairly light yellow color. Starts off with a bready/banana flavor which fades into spice and light bitterness. It's a little less malty than some other tripels and fairly dry. It's actually a good crisp beer for a warm day. You can taste the alcohol a bit but it's not overpowering despite 9.5%. Not my favorite but worth trying...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 29th, 2009, 9:47 am

I'll have to try that one. Just had a Hop Wallop 2 days ago, it's always fun in moderation, and have a Storm King in the fridge waiting for a weekend tasting.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 29th, 2009, 10:41 am

AD, the newest member of our too blue brew review crew with not enough to do. Excellent.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 29th, 2009, 10:43 am

cl15876 wrote:
I will have to look for that! I think it is the color that makes mentally makes the taste buds say, YUMMY! :p
I'd bet you won't find it in the DC/NOVA area as I don't think the fine folks at Schlafly's distribute their fine ales that far east. :( :(
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 29th, 2009, 10:47 am

bluebear wrote:Victory Golden Monkey Tripel--I am a big fan of Victory--Old horizontal is probably my favorite barley wine and I really like their double IPA (Hop Wallop) and stout (Storm King), so I was excited to try this. It's a decent tripel though I wouldn't put it in the same class as the above. Pours a fairly light yellow color. Starts off with a bready/banana flavor which fades into spice and light bitterness. It's a little less malty than some other tripels and fairly dry. It's actually a good crisp beer for a warm day. You can taste the alcohol a bit but it's not overpowering despite 9.5%. Not my favorite but worth trying...
Haven't had one in a year or two but I swear they changed the recipe some from when I first tried it about 5-6 years ago. I compared it with a Duvel then but was not as impressed with my last couple bottles. Your description/thoughts are pretty similar to my last memories of the ale. That is really a good brewery with many of the other offerings.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 29th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Deschutes Inversion IPA
OH MY GAWD THIS IS AWESOME!!
How's that for a review. I'm about to start painting, but had to take a break to note this brew before I start. This is a brewer's beer. The hops are it, and in an IPA, that's a given. But in this case it is more than that. It is either because the hops are fresh, or the brew is dry hopped late in the game, but this ale spews green hop tastiness. The aroma is as fresh as when you add hops to the beginning of the boil. Wow, instant favorite. DD brought this one back from his trip as a trade, all I have to say is thankyouverymuch. Citrus notes, nice color, medium body, but it's all about the hops baby. Not overbearing, just amazingly fresh. Like comparing a store bought tomato to one off the vine, this is road side stand goodness. Ymm, Beer!!
5 out of 5 stars, first I've handed out. :ymapplause: ^:)^ ^:)^ :ymapplause:
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 29th, 2009, 8:04 pm

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
I'd bet you won't find it in the DC/NOVA area as I don't think the fine folks at Schlafly's distribute their fine ales that far east. :( :(
Well, they didn't have at Shoppers tonight, but I don't give up easy! I did find a Sam Adams Hefe I've not tried. A bit expensive ($10.00/6) but will try and report on!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm

Another DD trade from his Northwest trip, not as good as above, but he brought it all this way, so I'll review. (Taking time away from painting mind you)
Terminal Gravity Brewing IPA.
"Live Beer Keep Cold" ...says so right on the bottle. Really, this is a very good one, too. Another ale a brewer will appreciate. More to the malt side of a pale, this brew has a bite. Nice lasting flavor from the grains, the hops give the teeth. I've kept it cold as instructed by both the bottle and DD, and probably wisely. Being a "live beer", this one will skunk in two seconds I'm sure. No off flavorings to report, just the golden ale from a pale 2 row malt that you would expect. More body than the inversion, I'm thinking because this actually has more hops. More hops, but more malt flavor, hmmm. For a good east coast available comaparison, try a Hop Wallop. The TGB is not THAT hoppy, but it's in the same family. Good brew, 3.5 outta 5 bottle caps. (hmmm, they are TWIST OFF caps, booooooooooooo, removing the half cap. 3.25 outta 5. Still good enough to buy).
Back to painting.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 29th, 2009, 10:02 pm

cl15876 wrote: ... Well, they didn't have at Shoppers tonight, but I don't give up easy! I did find a Sam Adams Hefe I've not tried. A bit expensive ($10.00/6) but will try and report on!
Hmm.... I have to another one, but this was a smooth and rather light beer. I was expecting something different but although my expectations were not exactly met, I will say this beer was rather smooth and easy to swallow down! Samuel Adams Hefeweizen is a traditional spin on a classic American craft brewing style. This wheat ale is cloudy because the yeast has not been filtered out! Bavarian Spalt hops give the ale a crisp elegance that is not bitter and leaves a clean after taste!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 30th, 2009, 5:49 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Deschutes Inversion IPA
OH MY GAWD THIS IS AWESOME!!
How's that for a review. I'm about to start painting, but had to take a break to note this brew before I start. This is a brewer's beer. The hops are it, and in an IPA, that's a given. But in this case it is more than that. It is either because the hops are fresh, or the brew is dry hopped late in the game, but this ale spews green hop tastiness. The aroma is as fresh as when you add hops to the beginning of the boil. Wow, instant favorite. DD brought this one back from his trip as a trade, all I have to say is thankyouverymuch. Citrus notes, nice color, medium body, but it's all about the hops baby. Not overbearing, just amazingly fresh. Like comparing a store bought tomato to one off the vine, this is road side stand goodness. Ymm, Beer!!
5 out of 5 stars, first I've handed out. :ymapplause: ^:)^ ^:)^ :ymapplause:
I thought you'd like it but not overwhelmingly like that. Makes a beer knurd feel good :D .

I have one left in the 'fridge...

I also have an organic PA from the same brewery I just found covered up in our back hallway. I actually have 4 of them and will have one when we return from DC, post a review and then put one into storage for you.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 30th, 2009, 7:31 pm

http://www.beeraday.net/

This guy might be a genius, or he might just be a high-functioning alcoholic. Or both. Nonetheless, he has set out to drink a different beer every day of 2009 and post thoughts on them. It's a bit behind schedule right now, but an interesting read.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.