Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 12th, 2009, 8:23 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Finally brewing my imperial porter, almost done with the mash. Once again, it is pouring down rain. The last time I brewed it poured, but it's cool out. I wanted to brew this weekend, but it was too damn hot. Next brew session I'm inviting Goldilocks. I want it just right.
Have you ever been to the DuckRabbit Brewery in Farmville? http://www.duckrabbitbrewery.com/
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 12th, 2009, 8:36 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Finally brewing my imperial porter, almost done with the mash. Once again, it is pouring down rain. The last time I brewed it poured, but it's cool out. I wanted to brew this weekend, but it was too damn hot. Next brew session I'm inviting Goldilocks. I want it just right.
Have you ever been to the DuckRabbit Brewery in Farmville? http://www.duckrabbitbrewery.com/
No, but they are a favorite. I went to a tasting at the local beer store (that went OOB), they had one of the brewmasters with just about everything they brewed to taste. I'd love to take a tour, the brew dude said they do have them.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » October 12th, 2009, 9:00 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
More importantly, in the coming week or so, I'll have a mini-vertical tasting review of Avery's Old Jubilation Winter Ale. This is an unspiced winter ale (I believe Lavabe will appreciate that, much like I do). It's only cellarable for 2 years, and I only have a bottle of 2008 and 2009, but nonetheless it should be fun to compare them.
Looking forward to the review..I am waiting impatiently for Old Jubilation and GD Hibernation to start arriving on the shelves..
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » October 12th, 2009, 9:30 pm

devildeac wrote:
ohioguy2 wrote:Hey, I've been busy so I have not posted in awhile. I will correct that now and in the near future. I arrived here again to read of the Breckenridge V. Porter--chocolate ice cream would seem as if it would be great combined with this beer--I am going to seek one out as soon as I can get to my local store. Porters have become my drink of choice lately so this fits right in. The Great Lakes Ed. Fitz. is still one of my top Porters of all time. Just purchased tickets ($$) for the St. John's game in Cameron. If the weather holds out and something does not come up I will return to Durham in December. Colorado for Christmas, Florida in January, Hawaii in February. Retirement is tough. ;)
Hey, welcome back. You should have QUITE a backlog of reviews to share with us from the last 1-5 months when you haven't posted ;) :D . Several of us should/could gather at Tyler's Taproom prior to or after the Johnnies game. 60+ taps and 150+ bottles, but who's counting :roll: ;) :D .
Tyler's does not sound familiar to me, but does sound good. We will be in Durham that Saturday night, staying for the women's game on Sunday.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 12th, 2009, 9:37 pm

:)) =))
If I see her, I'll send her your way. I'd like it "just right" also. ;)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 12th, 2009, 9:39 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
ohioguy2 wrote:Hey, I've been busy so I have not posted in awhile. I will correct that now and in the near future. I arrived here again to read of the Breckenridge V. Porter--chocolate ice cream would seem as if it would be great combined with this beer--I am going to seek one out as soon as I can get to my local store. Porters have become my drink of choice lately so this fits right in. The Great Lakes Ed. Fitz. is still one of my top Porters of all time. Just purchased tickets ($$) for the St. John's game in Cameron. If the weather holds out and something does not come up I will return to Durham in December. Colorado for Christmas, Florida in January, Hawaii in February. Retirement is tough. ;)
Hey, welcome back. You should have QUITE a backlog of reviews to share with us from the last 1-5 months when you haven't posted ;) :D . Several of us should/could gather at Tyler's Taproom prior to or after the Johnnies game. 60+ taps and 150+ bottles, but who's counting :roll: ;) :D .
Tyler's does not sound familiar to me, but does sound good. We will be in Durham that Saturday night, staying for the women's game on Sunday.
Relatively new. Located in the renovated tobacco warehouse district about 2 blocks from the new DBAP.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 12th, 2009, 10:53 pm

Original gravity =1070, that's the highest I've had from kits or all-grain. Hopefully the yeast stands up well to a higher ABV. Plenty of hops in there too, but I kept the alpha acids low. Nice looking dark brown..2 weeks until the bottle.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 12th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale-Probably my favorite of the fall seasonals so far, but still wondering, where's the pumpkin? A nicely spiced ale with nutmeg and cinnamon which dominate but with some cloves and cardamon, too. A medium brown ale which is clean and crisp. Modest head and IBU (guessing about 30) and a potent ABV at 8% so you won't enjoy many of these in one sitting. I actually bought this myself and traded one to CB&B and one to 8-x . CB&B said he liked it but I'd love to hear more and 8-x is too busy baking desserts :roll: ;) (which I hope will show up next weekend :D ).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 12th, 2009, 11:46 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Original gravity =1070, that's the highest I've had from kits or all-grain. Hopefully the yeast stands up well to a higher ABV. Plenty of hops in there too, but I kept the alpha acids low. Nice looking dark brown..2 weeks until the bottle.
I'm gonna guess that will have a final ABV of about 8%. Can't wait to taste. :beer:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 13th, 2009, 11:18 pm

Skull Splitter-Orkney Ale-Well, OK, a scotch ale from the Orkney Islands. Named after some viking-looking dude whose name is supposed to mean skull splitter. Now, back to the brew. A marvelous scotch ale with a dark brown pour, modest tan head and notes of dark caramel, milk chocolate, toffee and a slight peaty/smoky nose and taste. I'm seeing oatmeal raisin or oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, blondies or snicker doodle cookies with this as desserts or with chili, ribs or BBQ chicken as the main courses. Modest hops, probably with an IBU of 30-40 and an ABV of 8.5%. Perhaps another reason why this is called Skull Splitter :roll: . I'd like to hear what 8-x and CB&B thought about this.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 13th, 2009, 11:30 pm

devildeac wrote: I'd like to hear what 8-x and CB&B thought about this.
Amazingly enough I've actually been able to hold on to mine, it's the last of the traders. I'm probably going to open it Friday night. Looking forward to it, I purposely have saved it for last.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 14th, 2009, 12:36 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: I'd like to hear what 8-x and CB&B thought about this.
Amazingly enough I've actually been able to hold on to mine, it's the last of the traders. I'm probably going to open it Friday night. Looking forward to it, I purposely have saved it for last.
I'll be trying mine tomorrow night and then I might just have to take off on Thursday which gets me to NC that much earlier!!!! ;) To post the review of course!!!! :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 14th, 2009, 3:19 pm

My brother in law is in Belgium and I am hoping that he was only lying when he emailed me that he hasn't been able to get any Westvleteren to bring back for me...but I've been drinking belgian beers all week anyway in tribute..
First up was Orval--Outside of Westy, this is the only one of the trappist brewers that I had yet to tried. I supposed this would be considered a Belgian pale ale..poured a nice honey color into my Chimay goblet with a fairly large head. Really interesting taste and unlike any other trappist ales that I've tried. Backbone is definitely a light and mildly sweet maltiness with hints of apple and banana. There is a fair funky sour Brett kick in the finish. This is a lot more complex than I expected and reminds me of a cross between a saison and some lighter triples..Very easy to drink. ABV 6.9%
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 14th, 2009, 4:14 pm

devildeac wrote: Have you seen any of the barrel-aged Old Rasputin?

If so, did/will you purchase any?

I saw some at Total Wine and refused to buy it at $21 for a 16.9 ounce bottle. :(( :((
Finally saw this today and must admit sheepishly :ymblushing: :ymblushing: that I blew essentially my entire weekly beer "allowance" on a bottle...It better be the best imperial stout I've ever tried..I am planning on stashing it away for a special occasion..
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » October 14th, 2009, 7:32 pm

bluebear wrote:

I saw some at Total Wine and refused to buy it at $21 for a 16.9 ounce bottle. :(( :((
Finally saw this today and must admit sheepishly :ymblushing: :ymblushing: that I blew essentially my entire weekly beer "allowance" on a bottle...It better be the best imperial stout I've ever tried..I am planning on stashing it away for a special occasion..
What was IT? I have to KNOW!!!!!!! 1 sitting, less filling, and IT's NOT A Bud LIGHT, .... might be worth the expense!!!! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :)) :)) :)) :))
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 14th, 2009, 9:17 pm

cl15876 wrote:
bluebear wrote:

What was IT? I have to KNOW!!!!!!! 1 sitting, less filling, and IT's NOT A Bud LIGHT, .... might be worth the expense!!!! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :)) :)) :)) :))
It better be worth the expense...here is the summary straight from the brewer http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-rasputinXII.htm
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » October 14th, 2009, 9:21 pm

bluebear wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
bluebear wrote:"quote="devildeac""
Have you seen any of the barrel-aged Old Rasputin?

I saw some at Total Wine and refused to buy it at $21 for a 16.9 ounce bottle. :(( :(("/quote"

It better be worth the expense...here is the summary straight from the brewer http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-rasputinXII.htm
Well, .... I have to say that I've never paid for IT, but damn, when I clicked on your link, I could taste the spritz as the cork popped!!! Tell US more about IT!!!! :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: I'm not letting you off that easy, bebe!!! Links don't qual as review! Need it from the mouth of babes!!!! :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) B-) ;)
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 14th, 2009, 9:46 pm

This thead is so much fun to read. I doublt I would ever attempt to brew but it does sound like fun. I do know I LOVE CBAB's brews. :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 14th, 2009, 10:23 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Well, .... I have to say that I've never paid for IT, but damn, when I clicked on your link, I could taste the spritz as the cork popped!!! Tell US more about IT!!!! :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: I'm not letting you off that easy, bebe!!! Links don't qual as review! Need it from the mouth of babes!!!! :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) B-) ;)

This one unfortunately will remain firmly corked for now as it's off to the cellar for a future date..I did however uncork an Ommegang Adoration which I am presently enjoying.. Review to follow in the morning..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 14th, 2009, 11:10 pm

10/13=stout night
1. SA Cream Stout-Another brew I haven't had in years. A very pleasant session stout for a cool night. Dark brown but not as dark as imperial stouts, but darker than porters. A cream stout is named, IIRC, for the unfermentable sugars which impart a mild milky/creamy sweetness to the beer, balancing nicely with the roasty espresso and chocolate flavors. A bit of bitterness in the finish with an ABV of probably about 5% and IBU in the 30-40 range. Matched nicely with a nut mix, including some smoked almonds. A trader from CB&B. Solid choice.