Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » October 7th, 2009, 10:27 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote: I had one of these a few weeks back and thought it was excellent. Almost heavy and complex enough to be an imperial stout though a bit lower ABV...great review
Thank you.

I forgot to include the following in my review, now that I think about it. The Gonzo Imperial Porter had a "Vintage 07" on it. That is/was purely by chance as CB&B just found it last week, I think. I'm sure that added to the smoothness and complexity of the brew. I also traded for a Horn Dog Barleywine and that has a "Vintage 09" on it. I'm not sure whether to consume it this week and look for another to cellar for a year or two or to just stick this into the aging case and forget about it for a year or two. Hmm...
I also tried the Horn Dog (part of the same haul) and did not like it quite as much. It was an 09 though and I imagine it would improve nicely with a little age..Given your impressive level of patience, I'd stash it away...
If CB&B has another trader, I'll have one this fall and then save one for a year or two. Good plan ;) :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 7th, 2009, 11:05 pm

Sorry I'm late with this one. The winner of the 10/3 Brunchgate beer tasting was the Allagash Four. This is named for the fours: 4 malts, 4 hops, 4 sugars and 4 fermentations. A Belgian style quadruple ale with the malts giving us the caramel-like sweetness to go along with the varied candi (sic) sugars included in the brewing process. The hops balance nicely with floral aromas and tastes. This poured a fizzy medium brown and the tastes also reminded me of the expected dark, dried fruits, including raisins, dates and figs. We sampled this in plastic cups and I suspect it would be even better served in a goblet. We each had about a 6 ounce pour for tasting and safety purposes as it is 10% ABV but had little, if any, booziness to it. Very smooth and quaffable. I'd guess the IBU to be in the 30-40 range. Great with breakfast/brunch and probably even better with mildly spicy dinner fare. This would make a nice after dinner drink or dessert ale, too. A big ^:)^ and :ymapplause: to 8-x for his selection and sharing this with us.

ATTN: bluebear-This oughta be readily available in your zip code and I'd enjoy one this week/month and then cellar one for a year or two. :D
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » October 8th, 2009, 1:38 pm

devildeac wrote:Sorry I'm late with this one. The winner of the 10/3 Brunchgate beer tasting was the Allagash Four. This is named for the fours: 4 malts, 4 hops, 4 sugars and 4 fermentations. A Belgian style quadruple ale with the malts giving us the caramel-like sweetness to go along with the varied candi (sic) sugars included in the brewing process. The hops balance nicely with floral aromas and tastes. This poured a fizzy medium brown and the tastes also reminded me of the expected dark, dried fruits, including raisins, dates and figs. We sampled this in plastic cups and I suspect it would be even better served in a goblet. We each had about a 6 ounce pour for tasting and safety purposes as it is 10% ABV but had little, if any, booziness to it. Very smooth and quaffable. I'd guess the IBU to be in the 30-40 range. Great with breakfast/brunch and probably even better with mildly spicy dinner fare. This would make a nice after dinner drink or dessert ale, too. A big ^:)^ and :ymapplause: to 8-x for his selection and sharing this with us.

ATTN: bluebear-This oughta be readily available in your zip code and I'd enjoy one this week/month and then cellar one for a year or two. :D
This is fairly readily available near me but don't think I have ever tried it..but based on your nice review, I'll have to try and grab a bottle during my planned beer run later today..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 8th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Otter Creek Imperial Stout..I haven't tried too many beers from Otter Creek (Vermont) but this was given a glowing review by the beer guy at a local store, so I grabbed one. Pours a dark brown, nearly black with very little head. Up front, the taste is dominated by dark chocolate..so much that it seems like more of a chocolate stout. A fair amount of hoppy bitterness but balanced well with subtle sweeter malts. There is some roasted coffee bite but far less than other stouts. Fairly thick but very easy to drink. I really liked this stout a lot. Not sure how limited Otter Creek distribution is but worth trying if you come across it. I'm glad I have the rest of a bomber to finish off tonight.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 9th, 2009, 10:54 pm

Delinquent brew review night.

Leading off: Mendocino Fall Seasonal-Autumn Lager-Limited Edition-Marzen-Also known as an Oktoberfest because it always tastes better if you spell it with a "K." Heh-heh. A nice sessionable offering from their NY brewery. I think they also have one in California. Light brown color with a bit of floral hops, a toasty, bready nose and a slightly nutty taste. IBU on the light side at about 30 I'd guess and an ABV a bity on the high side at 6.1%. I have never seen this brew before. That's one of the nice things about trading is you get 1-2 brews you have never tried before and if it is unpalatable, you are out one brew. If you really like it, it's off to buy another or a 6er. 8-x made this choice and it is a solid one. Good with light grilled fare or appetizers.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » October 9th, 2009, 11:11 pm

I live in the 'Nati. I wonder if that is anything like a Natty Bo?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 9th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Late review #2:

Leffe Blonde Ale-A wonderful single abbey ale from Belgium. Pours a nice golden color with a mildly fizzy head. Notes of banana, apples, pear and clove with a nice floral bouquet and a bit of funk from the Belgian yeast. This would be great with a fruit salad before dinner or with some mild cheeses and crackers after dinner. A very mild beer, probably with low IBU and an ABV of 6.6%. Thanks to 8-x again for this trader. Brunchgates sure are fun.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 9th, 2009, 11:15 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I live in the 'Nati. I wonder if that is anything like a Natty Bo?
:-\
'splain, please.

Bohemian National?

The old National beer from the Ball'more area?
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 9th, 2009, 11:29 pm

devildeac wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:I live in the 'Nati. I wonder if that is anything like a Natty Bo?
'splain, please.

Bohemian National?

I'll do something better than explain: :)

http://www.nationalbohemian.com/
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 9th, 2009, 11:54 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
devildeac wrote:
'splain, please.

Bohemian National?

I thought this sounded vaguely familiar. Review, please. ;) :D
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 10th, 2009, 7:27 am

devildeac wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:
devildeac wrote: :-\
'splain, please.

Bohemian National?

I thought this sounded vaguely familiar. Review, please. ;) :D
My recollections of the Natty Boh are nearly 20 years old. I haven't sampled some in quite a while. The do have a survey on their website. I would have chosen the option for price.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 10th, 2009, 11:28 pm

Ichabod-ale brewed with pumpkins-New Holland Brewing-pretty standard fare here with a hint of pumpkins and lots of spices, including the usual suspects of cinnamon and nutmeg. A solid but not outstanding brew. A medium brown ale with a modest head, a bit of hops and a smooth balance. Another trader from CB&B. I'd guess the IBU to be 30-40 and the ABV is listed at 5.2%. This would be good with pumpkin bread/muffins or oatmeal/raisin/chocolate chip cookies.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 11th, 2009, 12:00 am

DFH Punkin' Ale-As much as I like these guys, I did not find this to be that much better than Ichabod. A bit different with brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg as the spices with a hint of pumpkin. It's a brown ale but kinda lite (though not buttlite :roll: :)) =)) ) colored but with a bit of punch at 7% ABV. Hops are minimal. I'd guess an IBU of 30 or so. A solid choice and would match well with my wife's dee-licious pumpkin bread or the other desserts mentioned in the Ichabod review. Another thanks to 8-x for his choice and sharing it at Brunchgate.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 11th, 2009, 9:27 am

Last night Kelly and I chose the Cottonwood Low Down Brown Ale. I really wish I had taken notes because I can't quite remember all the subtle notes. What I do remember is that it had a pleasant ale aroma, and a nice nutty start. It didn't end near as nicely as it started. Very heavy tart aftertaste with hints of cherry. It left me forgetting that I just had a beer.
(*)
sMiles
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » October 11th, 2009, 9:14 pm

I've been slacking in this thread for a few weeks now, but wanted to say I've enjoyed others excellent reviews. Unfortunately, by the time I made it to Allagash at GABF they were out and closed their booth and they don't distribute here. So...DD, if you're reading... ;)

Tonight I have Old Chubb Scotch Ale, which has been reviewed here many times. I may post a supplementary review, but it depends on how the Rockies do :) .

More importantly, in the coming week or so, I'll have a mini-vertical tasting review of Avery's Old Jubilation Winter Ale. This is an unspiced winter ale (I believe Lavabe will appreciate that, much like I do). It's only cellarable for 2 years, and I only have a bottle of 2008 and 2009, but nonetheless it should be fun to compare them.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 12th, 2009, 7:48 am

Porter night.
1. Sierra Nevada Porter-Pretty standard fare here but enjoyable as I have not sipped one of these in years. A moderately dark brown pour with a small head and modest tastes of coffee and milk chocolate. A bit roasty and hoppy. This would be fine with BBQ/smoky meats or hard cheeses. Not so much a dessert beer but the next one is ;) . I'd guess the IBU here to be 40-50 and the ABV is listed at 5.6%, IIRC. So, this was fine for a mini-session :D . Trading beers continues to be a great experience. I think this one came CB&B but it coulda been 8-x . Either way, thanks for sharing.

PS-rmd: Yes, I am reading. The only Allagash 12 ounce brews I can get are the White and the Dubbel, but I'll see if I can wrap a bomber carefully into a pair of ski pants or a boot for when we come out in March ;) .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 12th, 2009, 8:31 am

2. Breckenridge Vanilla Porter-I liked this a bit better than the SN Porter because it was a bit smoother and the vanilla beans added a nice touch/flavor to the brew. Typical in many ways with a dark brown color, small hop presence and well-balanced coffee and chocolate tastes. IBU estimated to be 30-40 and ABV probably 5-6%. All the time while sipping on this I was thinking abouty how good this would be with a scoop of coffee or chocolate ice cream for a beer float ;) :D .
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » October 12th, 2009, 2:04 pm

Hey, I've been busy so I have not posted in awhile. I will correct that now and in the near future. I arrived here again to read of the Breckenridge V. Porter--chocolate ice cream would seem as if it would be great combined with this beer--I am going to seek one out as soon as I can get to my local store. Porters have become my drink of choice lately so this fits right in. The Great Lakes Ed. Fitz. is still one of my top Porters of all time. Just purchased tickets ($$) for the St. John's game in Cameron. If the weather holds out and something does not come up I will return to Durham in December. Colorado for Christmas, Florida in January, Hawaii in February. Retirement is tough. ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 12th, 2009, 4:56 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:Hey, I've been busy so I have not posted in awhile. I will correct that now and in the near future. I arrived here again to read of the Breckenridge V. Porter--chocolate ice cream would seem as if it would be great combined with this beer--I am going to seek one out as soon as I can get to my local store. Porters have become my drink of choice lately so this fits right in. The Great Lakes Ed. Fitz. is still one of my top Porters of all time. Just purchased tickets ($$) for the St. John's game in Cameron. If the weather holds out and something does not come up I will return to Durham in December. Colorado for Christmas, Florida in January, Hawaii in February. Retirement is tough. ;)
Hey, welcome back. You should have QUITE a backlog of reviews to share with us from the last 1-5 months when you haven't posted ;) :D . Several of us should/could gather at Tyler's Taproom prior to or after the Johnnies game. 60+ taps and 150+ bottles, but who's counting :roll: ;) :D .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 12th, 2009, 7:26 pm

Finally brewing my imperial porter, almost done with the mash. Once again, it is pouring down rain. The last time I brewed it poured, but it's cool out. I wanted to brew this weekend, but it was too damn hot. Next brew session I'm inviting Goldilocks. I want it just right.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.