Halloween

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Halloween

Post by Miles » October 10th, 2009, 10:38 am

Bostondevil wrote:I would have given them candy! That's a great story. And some French people have a sense of humor! Who knew!
Me too. It would've been pretty cool to welcome them to the States, and let them take part in the festivities.
sMiles
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 10th, 2009, 11:18 am

I know what my pumpkins are going to be this year....I will have to modify one slightly because there is no Tervuren, but there is a poodle and a lab!!

http://www.bhg.com/holidays/?sssdmh=dm1 ... =662114721

:D :D :D :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Miles

Post by Miles » October 10th, 2009, 11:37 am

windsor wrote:I know what my pumpkins are going to be this year....I will have to modify one slightly because there is no Tervuren, but there is a poodle and a lab!!

Kelly and I watched the AKC Eukanuba National Championship today. I thought of you. Why come the herding dogs never win?
sMiles
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 10th, 2009, 11:48 am

Miles wrote:
windsor wrote:I know what my pumpkins are going to be this year....I will have to modify one slightly because there is no Tervuren, but there is a poodle and a lab!!

Kelly and I watched the AKC Eukanuba National Championship today. I thought of you. Why come the herding dogs never win?
I don't know - they tend to be not as flashy or as cute as some of the breeds - they are more serious dogs by design/breeding and I think that has an impact even though (in theory) each dog should be jduged against its own standard not against each other. Yeah. That happens. At that level the north end of the leash gets as much notice as the south end. :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 10th, 2009, 12:45 pm

wilson wrote:Is it too early? I don't think so (I mean, what, are we gonna have a Columbus Day thread or something?).
Anyway, I recently decided that over time, I was gonna build a really good pirate costume and just wear it for Halloween (and a couple of other occasions) every year...I think I shared this plan here.
Well, Mom just agreed to make the coat for me. It's gonna be a red, frock-length (roughly knee-length) coat with black and gold trim. Very Captain Hook. It's even gonna have a pimp ass paisley lining.
I might have a new pirate avatar after Halloween.

Sounds like a good costume. For me, I just can't get into Halloween. Definitely my least favourite holiday.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 10th, 2009, 12:53 pm

My only Halloween on Frankln street years ago, I had natural dreadlocks, wore a grass skirt, and on my bare chest had written "Die, Bart, Die". That was one of my favorite costumes.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 10th, 2009, 1:13 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:My only Halloween on Frankln street years ago, I had natural dreadlocks, wore a grass skirt, and on my bare chest had written "Die, Bart, Die". That was one of my favorite costumes.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
DukePA

Post by DukePA » October 10th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Of course my favorite was being a Devil in a Blue Dress. That was fun! I had devil horns and a trident, a gorgeous strapless Duke Blue dress and lots of attitude!
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » October 10th, 2009, 1:55 pm

I went to a Halloween party at Duke dressed as a banana. I put on a yellow leotard, yellow tights, and made a small red Dole sign that I stuck to my chest. Ben Bennett came up to me and told me I was very brave. In hindsight, the costume was a mistake cause I wasn't really that brave. Hey, I was a freshman. Thank goodness I didn't get drunk or I'd probably have some horrible memories of that night. It was a learning experience and the last time I appeared in a leotard around drunken college men, as long as you don't count the red bathing suit I wore to the Phi-Psi Red Light District Party. Somehow I bet that party doesn't exist anymore. I just can't imagine a post-PC Duke allowing a frat to hold a Red Light District Party. Hey, co-eds, come to our section dressed as hookers!

Come to think of it, I did some stupid costuming at Duke. I went to a toga party in a pillow-case once. Yes, just a pillow case. I cut out a neckhole and some armholes and that was my toga. The funny thing is, I wasn't a slut. Nobody messed with me on pillow case night though. In my defense, it was a king-sized pillow case. And I was still skinny, it covered me as much as any '80s style mini-skirt did.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 10th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I went to a Halloween party at Duke dressed as a banana.
When bananas go bad....

Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 10th, 2009, 2:16 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I went to a Halloween party at Duke dressed as a banana. I put on a yellow leotard, yellow tights, and made a small red Dole sign that I stuck to my chest. Ben Bennett came up to me and told me I was very brave. In hindsight, the costume was a mistake cause I wasn't really that brave. Hey, I was a freshman. Thank goodness I didn't get drunk or I'd probably have some horrible memories of that night. It was a learning experience and the last time I appeared in a leotard around drunken college men, as long as you don't count the red bathing suit I wore to the Phi-Psi Red Light District Party. Somehow I bet that party doesn't exist anymore. I just can't imagine a post-PC Duke allowing a frat to hold a Red Light District Party. Hey, co-eds, come to our section dressed as hookers!

Come to think of it, I did some stupid costuming at Duke. I went to a toga party in a pillow-case once. Yes, just a pillow case. I cut out a neckhole and some armholes and that was my toga. The funny thing is, I wasn't a slut. Nobody messed with me on pillow case night though. In my defense, it was a king-sized pillow case. And I was still skinny, it covered me as much as any '80s style mini-skirt did.
One year I went to that party dressed as a geriatric hooker. I sprayed my hair gray. Somewhere, pictures exist. I don't have them, but someone I know is bound to have them. Thank goodness digital cameras didn't exist when I was in college.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 10th, 2009, 11:30 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:I went to a Halloween party at Duke dressed as a banana.
When bananas go bad....

:)) :)) =)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 11th, 2009, 1:37 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
CellR wrote:Although I don't know what I'm going to dress up as...
I'm not to old am I? :ymhug:
You're not too old.

Suggestion: dress in blue and stick cotton balls to your clothing to resemble clouds and carry a squirt gun. When someone asks what you are, squirt them and then announce that you are partly cloudy with a chance of rain.
My brother dressed up as the sky for Halloween in 1987. When Mom asked him what he wanted to be, he just said that was it...the sky. So weird.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 11th, 2009, 1:39 am

colchar wrote:Sounds like a good costume. For me, I just can't get into Halloween. Definitely my least favourite holiday.
Halloween doesn't really set me aflutter either. However, any excuse to dress up like a pirate most definitely sets me aflutter.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 11th, 2009, 1:45 am

Bostondevil wrote:...Phi-Psi Red Light District Party. Somehow I bet that party doesn't exist anymore. I just can't imagine a post-PC Duke allowing a frat to hold a Red Light District Party. Hey, co-eds, come to our section dressed as hookers!
As of 2001, Phi Psi doesn't exist at Duke anymore.
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » October 12th, 2009, 7:51 pm

My brother Bob made this hilarious Halloween ecard and thought it was so hilarious. So much so that I thought I'd share it with my friends at CTN...

http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/l0ihab9h9JcCYU9T
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 15th, 2009, 9:58 pm

The shell of my pirate coat is done; all that remains are buttons and trim.
It is flippin' sweet.
I'm definitely getting a new avatar.
:ar! :Pirate: :ar! :Pirate: :ar! :Pirate: :ar! :Pirate: :ar! :Pirate:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 16th, 2009, 9:04 am

wilson wrote:The shell of my pirate coat is done; all that remains are buttons and trim.
It is flippin' sweet.
Waiting patiently for your new avtar. :)

You could always wear your :Pirate: to the md. game :D :D Oh no, seems I recall the jacket is red. That won't work. :Boo:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 16th, 2009, 12:19 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
wilson wrote:The shell of my pirate coat is done; all that remains are buttons and trim.
It is flippin' sweet.

You could always wear your :Pirate: to the md. game :D :D Oh no, seems I recall the jacket is red. That won't work. :Boo:
Come to think of it, I wouldn't think that red would be a popular overcoat color for pirates. It'd make you awfully visible during a battle or when trying to hide from the British Navy.
%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Miles

Post by Miles » October 16th, 2009, 12:38 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:
It is flippin' sweet.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't think that red would be a popular overcoat color for pirates. It'd make you awfully visible during a battle or when trying to hide from the British Navy.
%%-
I was thinking the giant pirate ship you're on would be the dead give away. ;)
sMiles