Call for recipes for Duke tailgating cookbook

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Call for recipes for Duke tailgating cookbook

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 9th, 2009, 3:24 pm

I had an idea recently that I pitched to TNTdevil, Devildeac and Ozzie about creating a tailgating cookbook that is built around the fun and atmosphere we experience at the brunchgates. This will not be just a cookbook, but will include a section on the equipment used at successful tailgates plus a section on the beverages consumed. Being that it is for the Duke audience, we are going to populate the book with quotes and stories that relate to others' experiences during their own tailgates and to the action that happens on the field as well. I'm going to illustrate the book with a bunch of paintings, so be sure to crowd into the next brunchgate, you might wind up being painted. :D Also, I will be there with a digital voice recorder to begin taping folks' stories, if you have any good ones speak up at the game, or send them to me.
However, we can't have a good cookbook without recipes, so we are asking you to submit any if you have them. Since this book will hopefully be published, the recipe has to be original, meaning it can not be copied from some website or previously published source. Duke centric recipes are encouraged but not required. Also keep in mind that they should be geared to feeding at least 10 or more people, so if you have a recipe for 5 do the math and double it.
We are in the very early stages of planning this, so we hope to collect the recipes and stories as we work out the format of the book and the equipment / beverage sections. We don't have much to offer, but if you agree to let us put your creations in print we'll give you two books per recipe/story used...one to keep and one to give away.

This thread is separate from the Recipe thread so I can organize them better as we recieve them. Don't post your dishes here, email them to cookbook@crazietalk.net or PM me.
Thanks tons, we will keep you up to date on the progress. :chef:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Call for recipes for Duke tailgating cookbook

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » October 9th, 2009, 4:18 pm

What a great idea! I'd offer just one suggestion...... could you include menus for tailgating? Perhaps a chapter devoted to that topic. Items for which there are recipes in the book could have the page number noted for the recipe.

It's one thing to know how to prepare good food. It's another thing entirely to know how to organize a menu so that the flavors, colors and textures compliment each other..... not to mention having some sort of balance in the prep time needed for each item on a menu. Menus may change by time of day for the meal and the season...... what you might plan for early November might be different than those suited to early September. Creating interesting menus is an art.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 9th, 2009, 5:21 pm

I forgot to post an important addition to the above intro...
If this book is published, of course it will be sold, but I don't have any delusions about us making tons of money. What I would like to do with any initial proceeds is to see that the following year's tailgates are provided for...meaning that those funds would be used for the tent, food and beverages that we have out there on game day. To provide the meals and drinks we have at the brunchgates isn't cheap, and luckily we have awesome community support to help out (including all of the dishes brought by everyone from home), so if we can defray those costs through the book, then yay for us. Just wanted to clarify that this book has a purpose to benefit everyone (beyond providing them with tasty meal ideas :D ).
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » October 9th, 2009, 5:35 pm

Another point to consider in organizing a tailgate cookbook is that not everyone who likes to tailgate can prepare their meal on site. Several web sites which focus on cooking have had suggestions for tailgating recently. The ideas fall into one of two categories: prepared on site or prepared off site. Addressing both types of parties would appeal to a wider audience.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 9th, 2009, 5:49 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Another point to consider in organizing a tailgate cookbook is that not everyone who likes to tailgate can prepare their meal on site. Several web sites which focus on cooking have had suggestions for tailgating recently. The ideas fall into one of two categories: prepared on site or prepared off site. Addressing both types of parties would appeal to a wider audience.
Yup, and we have that covered. Obviously not all our meals are done on site at brunchgates, so do not restrict your recipes to only what can be grilled. (Although I'm pretty sure TNTdevil can figure out a way to grill ANYTHING)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 9th, 2009, 6:07 pm

I think for the next Brunchgate that I might have my wife cook a brisket, using my mom's recipe. It could then be placed on the grill, in an aluminum pan, for reheating. It's best when cooked and sliced one day, refrigerated over night, and then reheated and eaten the second day. I posted the recipe on the DBR board a couple of times...
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 9th, 2009, 7:49 pm

I'm all for this. I have several recipes I can share. Cb&B you are so B-) You think of the best ideas. Thanks for all you do ^:)^ ^:)^
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 9th, 2009, 8:33 pm

I have pictures. They're on my Facebook. You have my permission to use any of them.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 9th, 2009, 11:46 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I think for the next Brunchgate that I might have my wife cook a brisket, using my mom's recipe. It could then be placed on the grill, in an aluminum pan, for reheating. It's best when cooked and sliced one day, refrigerated over night, and then reheated and eaten the second day. I posted the recipe on the DBR board a couple of times...
Damn Oz, you are missing a recipe post here on CTN! It further secures your PW'ishness!!!! Plus, I've been dying to see how to do this (e.g. the recipe)...... I was talking to my Dad this evening about this (cooking a brisket) and then he brought up pickeled pigs feet ... anyone like those?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 10th, 2009, 12:03 am

cl15876 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I think for the next Brunchgate that I might have my wife cook a brisket, using my mom's recipe. It could then be placed on the grill, in an aluminum pan, for reheating. It's best when cooked and sliced one day, refrigerated over night, and then reheated and eaten the second day. I posted the recipe on the DBR board a couple of times...
Damn Oz, you are missing a recipe post here on CTN! It further secures your PW'ishness!!!! Plus, I've been dying to see how to do this (e.g. the recipe)...... I was talking to my Dad this evening about this (cooking a brisket) and then he brought up pickeled pigs feet ... anyone like those?
My father and grandfather used to eat those. I am astounded they made it to the ages of 89 and 94, respectively.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » October 10th, 2009, 10:01 am

I love this idea, though am afraid of what can/can't contribute. Nothing I cook is original, I always use recipes I've picked up along the way. Is there anyway to credit those recipes and still use them?
I worship the Blue Devil!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 10th, 2009, 10:07 am

TillyGalore wrote:I love this idea, though am afraid of what can/can't contribute. Nothing I cook is original, I always use recipes I've picked up along the way. Is there anyway to credit those recipes and still use them?
With everything posted online today, it's hard to find a completely original anything...unless your grandmother gave it to you, it's likely you will find your recipe already out there. I would say all you gotta do is tweak the original a bit. If you look online for any recipe of anything, you will see how close many of the same dishes are. Just make sure that what is contributed isn't copied word for word, amount for amount, from a published source. Also, if you are like me and "just wing it" when it comes to cooking...write down what you are using and doing as you cook. That's guaranteed to be original.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » October 10th, 2009, 1:01 pm

How difficult/expensive would it be to have a CD with the cookbook? I could see us making a photo compilation on CD and putting them in pockets inside the book cover. Or, if someone is really techno savvy, a DVD! Ooooh, the possibilities!!
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » October 10th, 2009, 3:24 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:I love this idea, though am afraid of what can/can't contribute. Nothing I cook is original, I always use recipes I've picked up along the way. Is there anyway to credit those recipes and still use them?
I would say all you gotta do is tweak the original a bit. If you look online for any recipe of anything, you will see how close many of the same dishes are. Just make sure that what is contributed isn't copied word for word, amount for amount, from a published source. Also, if you are like me and "just wing it" when it comes to cooking...write down what you are using and doing as you cook. That's guaranteed to be original.

I do this ALL the time. I see a recipe but there is ALWAYS something in it that I disagree with or could otherwise "kick it up a notch".

I am considering participating in this interesting endeavor.
So whats the details or have they been ironed out yet? I'll PM ya to get more info
Miles

Post by Miles » October 10th, 2009, 4:00 pm

I'd love to contribute, and have the software and skills to compile such a book. We actually began a similar project back on DBR but it never came to be. CD/DVD would probably increase the cost of production quite a bit, unless we want to produce them independently and insert them ourselves. Cool idea though DukePA.
sMiles