Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize...

Post by Rolvix » October 9th, 2009, 12:45 pm

I think that although awarding President Obama the Nobel Peace Prize might be a bit premature, it signifies a great amount of trust and confidence the rest of the world has given to him. With the support of a good majority of the world behind him, maybe he will be able to accomplish his goals with a bit more ease. Not that it will be easy by any stretch of the imagination to clean up the mess he was left with...
Class of 2014
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 9th, 2009, 12:57 pm

CellR wrote:I think that although awarding President Obama the Nobel Peace Prize might be a bit premature, it signifies a great amount of trust and confidence the rest of the world has given to him. With the support of a good majority of the world behind him, maybe he will be able to accomplish his goals with a bit more ease. Not that it will be easy by any stretch of the imagination to clean up the mess he was left with...

Perhaps, but that doesn't qualify someone to win this award - especially as the nomination period closed only two weeks into his term in office. What did he win this for, his inauguration ceremony?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 9th, 2009, 12:58 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Let me first give a defense of the selection: despite what has been said here (and I'm sure elsewhere; this is the first I've heard the news), the President has accomplished something, and that something should not be so quickly dismissed. Even if he goes on to be a mediocre, unaccomplished, or down right poor Commander in Chief, President Obama has already proven that in a country scarred by a disgusting racial past, someone other than an old white guy can be elected President. That such an accomplishment was made during the worst situation this country has seen in generations (across the board; politically, economically, militarily)--a time with lots of fear and resentment, emotions that often magnify hate and anger and distrust of the "other"--makes it an even greater accomplishment. A black man won the Presidency in a time of fear by an overwhelming majority, in which he won states like Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina and Indiana. That's something. Is our racial problem over? No. But I think we have seen a paradigm shift that can, at least in part, be attributed to the President. That is "something" and it would be a shame if it gets tossed aside as nothing for political, or other, reasons.

But those are American issues, not worldwide issues which is what I thought this award was supposed to be for.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » October 9th, 2009, 1:05 pm

colchar wrote:
CellR wrote:I think that although awarding President Obama the Nobel Peace Prize might be a bit premature, it signifies a great amount of trust and confidence the rest of the world has given to him. With the support of a good majority of the world behind him, maybe he will be able to accomplish his goals with a bit more ease. Not that it will be easy by any stretch of the imagination to clean up the mess he was left with...

Perhaps, but that doesn't qualify someone to win this award - especially as the nomination period closed only two weeks into his term in office. What did he win this for, his inauguration ceremony?
I didn't say it qualified him to win the award, I agree that he hasn't done anything worthy of it yet.
Class of 2014
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 9th, 2009, 1:14 pm

colchar wrote:

You gotta admit, that was one helluva peaceful inauguration ceremony. 8-} :-bd
sMiles
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 9th, 2009, 1:27 pm

I know I know!!! It was for the beer summit! Using :beer: to bridge the gap between :Police: and :reading:

( :reading: was as close to a prof. smilie as I could get)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Shammrog » October 9th, 2009, 1:46 pm

A few quick thoughts:

1. Nothing against Obama. I only fault the selection process, which in this case I believe is based on political sentiment.
2. Winning the award is somewhat a sign of newfound international goodwill towards the U.S. I say "somewhat," because as I understand it this particular award is made by a panel of 5 people.
3. The award is supposed to be for accomplishments in fostering international peace. The stated reason for the award is that Obama has promised international cooperation, a nuclear-free world, etc. - things Obama has talked about but not really accomplished after 9 months. And certainly not after less than two weeks (when the nomination was made.) It is NOT for the accomplishment, however remarkable, of his winning the Presidency.
4. I think this award could not possibly be more political. A rebuke of Bush - Obama got this award for not being Bush (and, again, nothing against him - just the awarders.)
5. Take it with a grain of salt. Yassir Arafat also won this "peace" prize.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 9th, 2009, 4:59 pm

Shammrog wrote: 5. Take it with a grain of salt. Yassir Arafat also won this "peace" prize.

An excellent point.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » October 9th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Shammrog wrote: 5. Take it with a grain of salt. Yassir Arafat also won this "peace" prize.
As did Henry Kissinger. Perhaps between those two, it should be renamed the Nobel War Prize.

To Colchar, I don't think the issues I presented are unique to the United States. Issues of race abound (look at the steps FIFA/UEFA have take to prevent racial violence towards African soccer players in Europe). Certainly past recipients have had only regional impacts.

Finally, although this may well simply be based on "political sentiment", I think it's done so without thinking through the consequences. Does anyone really think this helps President Obama? I've avoided the news today, but I have no doubt that the GOP is using this as a pretext to attack the President. This makes his job harder and, therefore, the five men in Oslo likely haven't done their ideology any favors (assuming, of course, they share the President's ideology).
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » October 9th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Next up, Sarah Palin wins the Nobel prize for literature, based on her soon-to-be-released book.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 9th, 2009, 9:18 pm

Shammrog wrote:Next up, Sarah Palin wins the Nobel prize for literature, based on her soon-to-be-released book.

Well played! Mind if I borrow that?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 9th, 2009, 9:44 pm

colchar wrote:
Shammrog wrote:Next up, Sarah Palin wins the Nobel prize for literature, based on her soon-to-be-released book.

Well played! Mind if I borrow that?

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

I would like to borrow that line too!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » October 10th, 2009, 6:06 am

By all means, please do!
knights68

WHY Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize...

Post by knights68 » October 10th, 2009, 3:21 pm