Sheesh. More vibes, please.

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Sheesh. More vibes, please.

Post by wilson » October 8th, 2009, 10:12 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Bless all your hearts. I'm thinking of you and hoping you aren't too sad.
Love, Ima
Thank you so, so much. I'm really not sad. My grandmother will/would be 89 in December, and my grandfather was 92 in May. My mother's mother, who keeps chuggin' right along, was 90 in February, and I expect to get a phone call one day that she just didn't wake up...she displays very few degenerative effects of her advanced age. Her husband, the only grandparent I've yet lost, died in 1997 at 82.
I experienced the joy of delivering my high school valedictorian address before three of my four grandparents, alongside classmates who already had no grandparents left. I even had three grandparents present when I graduated from Duke. I'd like to have at least one there when I defend my dissertation, but that'll happen however it happens.
We've been blessed with remarkable longevity on both sides of the family. Another case in point: My father's paternal grandfather. He died at 98. Cause of death? Hit by a car while walking home from the store, which was nearly two miles from his house.
No, I've got precious little to complain about in this context. When they go, they'll just go, and I will be (and for the most part, already am) at peace with it.
I just don't want them to sink completely into misery before God takes them.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » October 8th, 2009, 10:39 pm

Wilson, I think it's perfectly natural to wonder if a loved ones life is ending, or if it should end. Your grandparents have had a wonderful life. They have loved much and been loved much. Vibes and prayers for you, your family, and your grandparents.

I lost one grandparent when I was a little girl, the other three lived to be in their late 80's early 90's. I treasured them and miss them. Spend as much time as you can with your grandparents. And, know that your friends are here for you.

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » October 8th, 2009, 11:10 pm

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: Your grandparents sound amazing. I hope the remainder of their lives is peaceful and comfortable. Definitely, spend as much time with them as possible.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 8th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Wilson,

Vibes, prayers, and hugs from Kansas. It is hard to watch a loved one age - and I think it is ok to let your grandparents know that it is ok for them to let go. I would recommend the book Final Gifts by Maggie Callanan and Patricia Kelley. They are two Hospice nurses that write about how to ease the passing of a loved one. It approaches it as your opportunity to give a final gift - easing their minds so that they can let go.

Prayers to you and yours.

DukieInKansas
Life is good!
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Shammrog » October 9th, 2009, 6:05 am

Aw, man Wilson - our thoughts and good vibes are with you and your family.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 9th, 2009, 6:41 am

I feel for you, man. You're lucky to have had your grandparents for as long as you did. I still miss mine, and I lost them a long time ago. Lots of vibes and prayers that it all works out for the best, whichever way that is.

:ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray: :ympray:
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 9th, 2009, 8:40 am

My family has similar longevity - I hoofed from Maryland to Jersey with my 8 week old daughter so that Grammy could hold her...Grammy was my GREAT grandmother. WindsorsDaughter was her first great-great-grandchild. I was glad I did...Grammy died at 102 two months later...she smoked unfiltered cigarettes from age 13 to about 85 and drank a shot of scotch (neat) before bed every night of her adult life. She broke her hip (twice!) and walked out of the hospital both times despite predicitons to the contrary.

I graduated from high school with 2 great mothers still living...my last grandmother died two years ago.

Longevity is a blessing and/or a curse. It depends on the quality of life - one of my great grandmothers (she was 90 something) and living with her daughter got up one fine morning, sat on the john....and died. Never been in a hospital a day in her life. Took NO medications. Tough as nails.

Sending you another dose of vibes Wilson - spend what time with them you can...you won't be sorry

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 9th, 2009, 9:12 am

windsor wrote:...one of my great grandmothers (she was 90 something) and living with her daughter got up one fine morning, sat on the john....and died.
Now this is how I wanna go. Me, your great grandma, and Elvis.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » October 9th, 2009, 9:27 am

wilson wrote:
windsor wrote:...one of my great grandmothers (she was 90 something) and living with her daughter got up one fine morning, sat on the john....and died.
Please, not in my house. So don't want to find a partially naked, dead Wilson in my bathroom. ;) ;)
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 9th, 2009, 9:35 am

TillyGalore wrote:
wilson wrote:
Please, not in my house. So don't want to find a partially naked, dead Wilson in my bathroom. ;) ;)
Thank you for the visual Tilly....
Must.
Blind.
Mind's.
Eye.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Miles

Post by Miles » October 9th, 2009, 9:51 am

Hi Buddy. You are not alone in your feelings, wondering if release might be best for them. You are a good man, and a good grandson, and my heart goes out to you. Vibes to you and your family my friend.
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 9th, 2009, 6:04 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
wilson wrote:
:)) =))

We'll help you get rid of him. Or, you can just put him out with the mushrooms...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 9th, 2009, 11:57 pm

devildeac wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
wilson wrote:"quote="windsor""...one of my great grandmothers (she was 90 something) and living with her daughter got up one fine morning, sat on the john....and died."/quote"Now this is how I wanna go. Me, your great grandma, and Elvis.
:)) =))

We'll help you get rid of him. Or, you can just put him out with the mushrooms...
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) I think the cat's will eat meat with a seafood twist, he is a pirate so there will be sea salt and fishy seasoning taste I would suspect! Your kitties will love him! =)) =)) =)) =)) Miles isn't too far with that early Christmas present the Cadillac of meat slicers!!!!!! After they eat em' this I suspect will occur..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-rynMhFDD4 :-o :D ;)
knights68

Post by knights68 » October 10th, 2009, 9:46 am

wilson wrote:I spent several hours at the hospital today, this time with both my grandfather and my grandmother. While he is improving modestly, he remains in inpatient care and is nowhere near normal functionality.
Then, my grandmother had a stroke today. She's out of the worst part of the woods (I think), but damn.
I don't care to elaborate further right now. Vibes, please.
Major vibes for ya bud, you and your grams and gramps.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 10th, 2009, 12:44 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
wilson wrote:

That would really ruin a party wouldn't it?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » October 10th, 2009, 7:14 pm

wilson wrote:I spent several hours at the hospital today, this time with both my grandfather and my grandmother. While he is improving modestly, he remains in inpatient care and is nowhere near normal functionality.
Then, my grandmother had a stroke today. She's out of the worst part of the woods (I think), but damn.
I don't care to elaborate further right now. Vibes, please.
Wilson,

I haven't been on the boards for a while so I'm just now getting this news (haven't read all the posts yet but will). Here are major vibes from me and if you want to just hang out, to get a break or for what ever reason, just give me a call. Lunch/dinner on me.

And of course, major vibes (and prayers) to and for you and your family.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 11th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Well, guys, thanks much for the vibes. Sometime Thursday evening, they got my grandmother into a room and she rested through the night. Then, Friday morning, she woke up, ordered breakfast, and answered the nurses' battery of questions impeccably. When told that one of her sons had called, she replied, "Oh, that'd have to be Mike, because David is not a morning person." The Friday CT scan revealed that the blood clot had cleared.
Meanwhile, the staff at my grandfather's facility got him to the hospital to see her. He is newly motivated in his physical therapy, if for no other reason because the episode scared him into considering the prospects of never getting back to normalcy.
I guess they're just not ready to go yet. The whole thing is kind of amazing.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » October 11th, 2009, 3:49 pm

wilson wrote:Well, guys, thanks much for the vibes. Sometime Thursday evening, they got my grandmother into a room and she rested through the night. Then, Friday morning, she woke up, ordered breakfast, and answered the nurses' battery of questions impeccably. When told that one of her sons had called, she replied, "Oh, that'd have to be Mike, because David is not a morning person." The Friday CT scan revealed that the blood clot had cleared.
Meanwhile, the staff at my grandfather's facility got him to the hospital to see her. He is newly motivated in his physical therapy, if for no other reason because the episode scared him into considering the prospects of never getting back to normalcy.
I guess they're just not ready to go yet. The whole thing is kind of amazing.
Excellent!!!
DukePA

Post by DukePA » October 11th, 2009, 3:52 pm

And yes Wilson, life is good, damnit :D !!!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 11th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Wilson, yours was the best news to hear. Take care. :)