Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 25th, 2009, 4:32 pm

devildeac wrote: Hey, CB&B, ya want one saved? Also, if they still have the SA Imperial Pilsner, do you want a 4 pack or part of one?
I've had the Imperial Bock and can get it regularly, but I've yet to find the pils, so yes to that one. Agreement on your bock review.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2009, 7:26 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: Hey, CB&B, ya want one saved? Also, if they still have the SA Imperial Pilsner, do you want a 4 pack or part of one?
I've had the Imperial Bock and can get it regularly, but I've yet to find the pils, so yes to that one. Agreement on your bock review.
Bluebear penned a good review on the SA IB on TBTSNBN also. He's a good guy to have around :D . I'm glad i invited him ;) .

I'll try to get a 4 pack this afternoon and we can meet at the beach sometime in the next month or so. We still want a private exhibit/tour :D .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 26th, 2009, 8:04 am

rockymtn devil wrote: with a perfect amount of head.
I've always appreciated a perfect amount of head... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: B-) B-) =)) =)) :lol: :lol:

Remember three or four months ago when I posted something about head (perfect or otherwise) on the other board, and EarlJam complained/said that he'd never be permitted to post something like that? I'll be he could here!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 26th, 2009, 11:29 am

devildeac wrote:I'll try to get a 4 pack this afternoon and we can meet at the beach sometime in the next month or so. We still want a private exhibit/tour :D .
Sounds good to me. We can get DukePA to join us over here at my house for a lunch or dinner on the grill and some choice tastings.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 26th, 2009, 5:53 pm

I'm sure I've reviewed it before, but it's a fun beer and I'll review it again. Founder's Dirty Bastard. It's a scotch ale, distinguished by it's brown color and coffee tinges. It's strong for a dark ale, in a blind test you might think you were drinking a high octane stout. Held up to the late, the brown gives it's true deep red coloring, the head is a light tan. High on the esters, this ale has a triplicate quality, meaning one part held solidly by the malts, one part held solidly by the hops, and one part held quite solidly by the alcohol. Very fruity, I'm not sure what the ABV is, guessing between 8% and 9%. It's a slow sipper with a fun name, and while they screwed it up (literally) by giving it a screw top, it means you can enjoy it anywhere without the need to search for an opener. And after a couple, that search might get to be frustrating.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 26th, 2009, 7:24 pm

Well the Ruskies have more than Vodka to share with the world. I'm drinking a Baltika porter, and I like it. One of the brews from the specialty shop closing, this porter is smooth, dark, chocolatey and mild on both hops and alcohol. The bomber was a pleasant suprise. It sold for $2.50 before the going out of business sale; I figured for that cheap this ale was doomed to be an Eww Brew, but I have been pleasantly surprised. Close to a stout, this beer has an enjoyable sweetness to it. Not milk stout sweet, but just a nice addition to the flavor that is already there. Low hopped, the malts are the players in this one. Given Russia's notorious winter, I could see hanging out with a few bottles of this close by.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 26th, 2009, 8:33 pm

devildeac wrote:... we can meet at the beach sometime in the next month or so. We still want a private exhibit/tour :D .
I concur and am game for that! I have been dying to hit the beach, I've got the fever baby! :ympeace: :-bd B-)
...water-man (aka CLbunchanumbers)!!!! :D
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » April 26th, 2009, 8:46 pm

devildeac wrote:
Bluebear penned a good review on the SA IB on TBTSNBN also. He's a good guy to have around :D . I'm glad i invited him ;) .

I'll try to get a 4 pack this afternoon and we can meet at the beach sometime in the next month or so. We still want a private exhibit/tour :D .
With that sort of plug, I better get moving on contributing more...Battling a bit of a GI bug this weekend but I did gamble and buy 2 six packs (which I tend not to do for new beers)..Clipper City Holy Sheets Abbey Ale and Victory Golden Monkey Tripel..Hoping to rally enough tonight to try one out..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 26th, 2009, 8:50 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm sure I've reviewed it before, but it's a fun beer and I'll review it again. Founder's Dirty Bastard. It's a scotch ale, distinguished by it's brown color and coffee tinges. It's strong for a dark ale, in a blind test you might think you were drinking a high octane stout. Held up to the late, the brown gives it's true deep red coloring, the head is a light tan. High on the esters, this ale has a triplicate quality, meaning one part held solidly by the malts, one part held solidly by the hops, and one part held quite solidly by the alcohol. Very fruity, I'm not sure what the ABV is, guessing between 8% and 9%. It's a slow sipper with a fun name, and while they screwed it up (literally) by giving it a screw top, it means you can enjoy it anywhere without the need to search for an opener. And after a couple, that search might get to be frustrating.
Very good beer..I have one more sitting in storage..Have you tried Backwoods Bastard? I believe it is Dirty Bastard aged in bourbon barrels. Founders makes some excellent beers..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 27th, 2009, 8:27 am

devildeac wrote:I'll try to get a 4 pack this afternoon and we can meet at the beach sometime in the next month or so. We still want a private exhibit/tour :D .
Sounds good to me. We can get DukePA to join us over here at my house for a lunch or dinner on the grill and some choice tastings.
I procured a 4 pack yesterday and most, if not all of it will be yours as I had a 4 pack about 2-3 months ago and really enjoyed it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 27th, 2009, 8:33 am

bluebear wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm sure I've reviewed it before, but it's a fun beer and I'll review it again. Founder's Dirty Bastard. It's a scotch ale, distinguished by it's brown color and coffee tinges. It's strong for a dark ale, in a blind test you might think you were drinking a high octane stout. Held up to the late, the brown gives it's true deep red coloring, the head is a light tan. High on the esters, this ale has a triplicate quality, meaning one part held solidly by the malts, one part held solidly by the hops, and one part held quite solidly by the alcohol. Very fruity, I'm not sure what the ABV is, guessing between 8% and 9%. It's a slow sipper with a fun name, and while they screwed it up (literally) by giving it a screw top, it means you can enjoy it anywhere without the need to search for an opener. And after a couple, that search might get to be frustrating.
Very good beer..I have one more sitting in storage..Have you tried Backwoods Bastard? I believe it is Dirty Bastard aged in bourbon barrels. Founders makes some excellent beers..
I gonna have to start looking for these.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 27th, 2009, 8:37 am

To bluebear from above as I could not embed 3 quotes:
1. We await your thoughts on the Holy Sheet as CB&B and I have reviewed it recently. They have 7 brews IIRC in their Heavy Seas series and I have not had the barleywine, the weizen bock and 1 other I cannot recall at this time.
2. Haven't had a Monkey in a while. Your tasting will be interesting to read.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » April 27th, 2009, 8:57 am

devildeac wrote:To bluebear from above as I could not embed 3 quotes:
1. We await your thoughts on the Holy Sheet as CB&B and I have reviewed it recently. They have 7 brews IIRC in their Heavy Seas series and I have not had the barleywine, the weizen bock and 1 other I cannot recall at this time.
Will definitely have a review of one of them up tonight...My local store had a Heavy Seas sampler with 4 in their series..I think it was Loose Cannon IPA, Small Craft Warning Pils, Peg Leg Stout, and Holy Sheets. I debated getting it and probably would have if the barleywine was part of the sampler..I may head back this week if I enjoy the Holy Sheets enough..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 27th, 2009, 9:30 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:To bluebear from above as I could not embed 3 quotes:
Will definitely have a review of one of them up tonight...My local store had a Heavy Seas sampler with 4 in their series..I think it was Loose Cannon IPA, Small Craft Warning Pils, Peg Leg Stout, and Holy Sheets. I debated getting it and probably would have if the barleywine was part of the sampler..I may head back this week if I enjoy the Holy Sheets enough..
I enjoyed all of them :D . At different times, of course. :oops: :lol:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 27th, 2009, 1:08 pm

They just started selling something called land shark at my Wegman's. Has anybody had this? Is it any good? Is it somehow related to Jimmy Buffett? I ask because it's put out by Margaritaville Brewing Co.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 27th, 2009, 2:15 pm

I've yet to try it because I'm not a lager drinker unless something really stands out as looking good to taste. Beer Advocate has it's overall rating as a D+. That's the same rating given to Budweiser.
It is brewed and bottled by Anhueser-Busch, so the Budweiser connection gets closer. Sneaky fuggers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Shark_Lager
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 27th, 2009, 2:34 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I've yet to try it because I'm not a lager drinker unless something really stands out as looking good to taste. Beer Advocate has it's overall rating as a D+. That's the same rating given to Budweiser.
It is brewed and bottled by Anhueser-Busch, so the Budweiser connection gets closer. Sneaky fuggers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Shark_Lager
I thought so...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 27th, 2009, 4:37 pm

There seems to be a LOT of conflicting opinion on it. One reviewer from the united nations of beer said it was okay but not worth the trouble. He said it was fine when eaten at one of Buffett's restaurants with a burger, but not great alone at home. He said it had a good pour and a "pleasing" foam, whatever that means. He said the taste was "clean" but a little dull. He said if you want an "island" lager, go with a Red Stripe. Another "expert" from the same website disagreed and said it was really good and that he stocked up on it. A LOT of people were posting complaining they couldn't get it up north, then cheering that it had been found as far north as pennsylvania recently. So, apparently some like it. So, it seems a mixed bag. Probably all parrot heads that love it.

I'm not a beer man myself. I'll drink a Guinness or a Killian's every once in a while, but that's about my limit.

Reminds me of a joke I once heard: The presidents of Guinness, Budweiser, and Miller met at Oktoberfest and had dinner cause they were old friends. They decided to have a brew together. The Bud and Miller guys ordered their products, of course. When the waitress turned to the Guinness guy, he ordered a Coke. When the waitress left, the two turned to him and said "Hey, I thought we were having a beer." The Guinness guy smirked and responded, "So did I."

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 27th, 2009, 7:03 pm

bjornolf wrote:There seems to be a LOT of conflicting opinion on it. One reviewer from the united nations of beer said it was okay but not worth the trouble. He said it was fine when eaten at one of Buffett's restaurants with a burger, but not great alone at home. He said it had a good pour and a "pleasing" foam, whatever that means. He said the taste was "clean" but a little dull. He said if you want an "island" lager, go with a Red Stripe. Another "expert" from the same website disagreed and said it was really good and that he stocked up on it. A LOT of people were posting complaining they couldn't get it up north, then cheering that it had been found as far north as pennsylvania recently. So, apparently some like it. So, it seems a mixed bag. Probably all parrot heads that love it.

I'm not a beer man myself. I'll drink a Guinness or a Killian's every once in a while, but that's about my limit.

Reminds me of a joke I once heard: The presidents of Guinness, Budweiser, and Miller met at Oktoberfest and had dinner cause they were old friends. They decided to have a brew together. The Bud and Miller guys ordered their products, of course. When the waitress turned to the Guinness guy, he ordered a Coke. When the waitress left, the two turned to him and said "Hey, I thought we were having a beer." The Guinness guy smirked and responded, "So did I."

%%-
:))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 27th, 2009, 7:13 pm

New Holland Brewing Full Circle
This is one of my on sale beer purchases, and it's interesting. It's a Kolsch style beer, which I finally educated myself on what that means. It is an ale, but has lots of lager characteristics. It is brewed as an ale, and then lagered, which means basically is stuffed away for awhile and is cold conditioned. Pretty hoppy, not a lot of flavor, which is where the lager comparison comes in. At first whiff in a blind tasting, I would assume it was a lager. Slightly citrussy, and with some bite, this would be good chilled on a hot summer day. Very clear, pale yellow in color, white head. I'd buy it again, and would love to try it as a draft, I bet it would be really good then.
In the end, too many lager qualities for me to revisit often, but it gets 3 out of 5 mugs from me. (A chilled mug would be the perfect drinking vessel for it as well.)