Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2009, 10:07 pm

Big Boss Harvest Time Pumpkin Ale-Raleigh/Ralegh-A local brew!-an amber ale with nice hints of pumpkin and "proprietary spices." which are mostly cinnamon and nutmeg, but not overpowering. This one held up a bit better than the kolsch to the slightly fiery salmon salad. IBU about 30-40 and ABV was 5.5%. Available in bottles in the area. This was a draft however, as were all the brews in the sampler.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2009, 10:51 pm

We interrupt this sampler to bring you a trader review:

Smuttynose Star Island Single-as in a single style abbey ale, or, as the label says, "session ale brewed with spices"-I don't think I have ever had a Smuttynose brew before. A craft brewery from Portsmouth, N.H. A lighter, slightly cloudy wheat ale, as expected with the usual complement of tangy Belgian yeast and wheat malt and a bit of orange zest and coriander, I think. Lighter malts are used and the hops are minimal. I'd guess the IBU about 20-30 and the ABV is 5.2%. Think Blue Moon or Hoegaarden about this ale. I am gonna have to try more of their ales, especially their high gravity series which are becoming available in Raleigh/Ralegh now. This is another good lawnmower/siting-on-the-porch-in-summertime brew. Yea, I know, I'm a day late but it's warm and humid here tonight and it's a trader from CB&B this weekend. Nice selection, big guy! ;) :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 22nd, 2009, 10:56 pm

devildeac wrote:I don't think I have ever had a Smuttnose (sic :)) ) brew before.
Really? Wow..yer missing out. At least now I know, and as GI Joe says..knowing is half the battle. He never says what the other half is.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 23rd, 2009, 12:07 am

A quick review on two...first up Stoudts Double IPA
Thanks to DD for this trader, I wasn't sure if I'd had it before but after scratching a few brain cells I know I have. The sweetness of the IPA jogged my memory a bit, and it is sweet, literally. It is a well hopped brew, but uncharacteristic for an IPA, the malts dominate. Nice color, great bite as expected, but sweet. Citrus tones add a nice touch. Worth buying for sure, for getting the unexpected if nothing else.
Second up, Stoudts Triple (notice a theme here?)
This was new to me. Pours cloudy, tastes lemony. Lots of aroma, lots of flavor. Hard not to ask for more, but definitely not a beer for the ballgame. Comparable to some more well known abbey ales, Stoudts has done a fine job here. Enough characteristics to make it its own brew (the lemon prominance is a good example), the prominant attributes signify a classic abbey. High ABV, (guessing 8.5 to 9.5%), low bitterness and active fruit flavors designate a beer to go back for. Just not too often in one night.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2009, 8:03 am

Back to the sampler:

3. Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale-I'd also call this "Not Quite an IPA." ;) A bit spicey and piney/sprucey. Golden amber, clear with minimal malt balance which is meant to be an observation, not a complaint. I'd slot this between their Pale Ale and their seasonal, Celebration Ale, which is clearly an IPA. I'd guess the IBU at 60-70 and the ABV is 5%, both lower than your typical IPA "benchmarks." This brew held up well against the red pepper-laced parmesan dressing on the blackened salmon salad.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2009, 8:06 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:Pretty Things Jack D'Or...A very small local brewer producing only a handful of beers. This one is a saison.. Pours a deep straw color with a fairly large head. Taste is dominated by sharp white wine dryness. This is offset slightly by some tart fruit and citrusy hops. A bit of funk though far less than other saisons that I've tried. A very crisp, light and easy drinking beer but very tasty..about 6.5%..

Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale--Another saison..the newest addition to their big beer series. Big fruity taste with a nice blend of sweetness and tartness. Lots of funky yeast and a decent hop bite. There is a strange spiciness which didn't seem to blend well with the rest of the beer but this was fairly mild. A very good saison that I wish came out over the summer..I'll still try to grab another one of these before the cold settles in..
I may add the Smuttynose to the Le Freak and Epic I'll be buying this afternoon. Plus their Imperial Porter or whatever I saw yesterday that I can't remember today.
Probably their Baltic Porter..which is very good.
Have you had Le Freak? I've had a free other Green Flash brews and really liked them but I've yet to pick up Le Freak..sounds tasty though..
I looked at the Smutty web site (that just doesn't sound right... :roll: )and it is a Belgian Porter and the description sounds marvelous. That will be on my list next week. I got too many for the 9/26 Brunchgate already.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2009, 7:43 pm

To complete the sampler:

4. Paulaner Oktoberfest-probably one of the originals. A medium amber with toasty, caramel-y and milk chocolate tastes. May even be a bit nutty. Tyler's thinks there are molasses flavors but I did not catch them. There is little hop presence. ABV is 6% and I'd guess the IBU in the 30-40 range. Good session beer by itself and for the season but the fiery blackened salmon salad overwhelmed this beer.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » September 23rd, 2009, 7:47 pm

Ya know, I've been refraining, immensely, from comment on some of your recent beer selections!!!!! :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w ;) Glad to see you are hanging out on the right side of town tonight!!!! :D :ymhug:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2009, 7:59 pm

cl15876 wrote:Ya know, I've been refraining, immensely, from comment on some of your recent beer selections!!!!! :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w ;) Glad to see you are hanging out on the right side of town tonight!!!! :D :ymhug:
That's too ambiguous :-\ . You'll need to elaborate a bit more. I'm on call tonight so the sampler review was actually was from Sunday evening. I'm still pissed they did not have the Great Divide Oak-Aged Yeti Chocolate Stout on draught. That was gonna be my dessert/beer instead of the blondie bowl I had.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 23rd, 2009, 8:09 pm

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:Ya know, I've been refraining, immensely, from comment on some of your recent beer selections!!!!! :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w ;) Glad to see you are hanging out on the right side of town tonight!!!! :D :ymhug:
That's too ambiguous :-\ . You'll need to elaborate a bit more. I'm on call tonight so the sampler review was actually was from Sunday evening. I'm still pissed they did not have the Great Divide Oak-Aged Yeti Chocolate Stout on draught. That was gonna be my dessert/beer instead of the blondie bowl I had.
Well okay, remember the following:

1. Smutty web site .... "that stuff is not good for your health and ruins more things than your beer consumption...", :-o :-o :-o
2. Just saw Le Freak for the 1st time yesterday ... "Why would you go see this movie? :-o :-o :-o :-o What is the rating?"
3. I may add the Smuttynose to the Le Freak and Epic I'll be buying this afternoon .... "there you go again with this smut talk!!!!" :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2009, 10:28 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:

1. Smutty web site .... "that stuff is not good for your health and ruins more things than your beer consumption...", :-o :-o :-o
2. Just saw Le Freak for the 1st time yesterday ... "Why would you go see this movie? :-o :-o :-o :-o What is the rating?"
3. I may add the Smuttynose to the Le Freak and Epic I'll be buying this afternoon .... "there you go again with this smut talk!!!!" :D
Talk about quoting outta context and random associations. Sheesh.

Try this: http://www.smuttynose.com/beers/

Or this: http://www.greenflashbrew.com/

Enjoy. ;)
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » September 23rd, 2009, 10:31 pm

FYI, over at http://www.beeraday.net/ it is North Carolina beer week.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2009, 10:54 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:FYI, over at http://www.beeraday.net/ it is North Carolina beer week.
I had forgotten about his tasting journey. Thanks for the reminder. I haven't had the Carolina Pale Ale, or either of the Highland brews for several years. Sometimes I forget what's good in my own "neighborhood" and just buy the high gravity or fancy stuff. I reviewed the Big Boss Pumpkin Ale from my Sunday night sampler and had the Hell's Belle at a Brunchgate last fall and probably reviewed it over yonder. I had the Wee-Heavy-er on draft in January this year when we were out in Asheville. It was superb. Someone also gave me a bomber of it yesterday so that will appear at the 9/26 Brunchgate or one in October as part of a scotch ale tasting. :D
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 23rd, 2009, 11:06 pm

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:"quote="cl15876""Ya know, I've been refraining, immensely, from comment on some of your recent beer selections!!!!! :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w ;) Glad to see you are hanging out on the right side of town tonight!!!! :D :ymhug:"/quote"

Talk about quoting outta context and random associations. Sheesh.

Try this: http://www.smuttynose.com/beers/

Or this: http://www.greenflashbrew.com/

Enjoy. ;)
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) Just saying, these beer naming conventions and places you must go, .... well, need a little help!!!! =)) =)) =)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 24th, 2009, 6:46 pm

I'm bottling my scotch ale tonight. It's a little bit earlier than expected, but not enough to make much difference. This way, I'll be able to bring a few to the 9/26 BG as traders, to be enjoyed at a later date. They will be ready to drink by this time next week.
The wheat is kicking along, bubblling like mad in the fermenter. It smells awesome. The scotch was from a kit, the wheat is an all-grain recipe.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 24th, 2009, 6:53 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm bottling my scotch ale tonight. It's a little bit earlier than expected, but not enough to make much difference. This way, I'll be able to bring a few to the 9/26 BG as traders, to be enjoyed at a later date. They will be ready to drink by this time next week.
The wheat is kicking along, bubblling like mad in the fermenter. It smells awesome. The scotch was from a kit, the wheat is an all-grain recipe.
Save me 1 or 6 plEEEEEEEZzzz!!! I'll make it worth your while! :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 24th, 2009, 10:08 pm

Sierra Nevada Estate Harvest Ale--I suppose you could consider this an IPA but whatever it is, it's good. Pours a deep amber with a fairly substantial head. Pine and citrus hops up front but muted by solid malt backbone..some lingering hop bitterness in the finish. This is one of the most balanced beers that I've had in some time. The hops and malt blend nicely for a very smooth taste. Fairly full and heavy for the style and an ABV of 6.7..highly recommend..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 24th, 2009, 11:10 pm

bluebear wrote:Sierra Nevada Estate Harvest Ale--I suppose you could consider this an IPA but whatever it is, it's good. Pours a deep amber with a fairly substantial head. Pine and citrus hops up front but muted by solid malt backbone..some lingering hop bitterness in the finish. This is one of the most balanced beers that I've had in some time. The hops and malt blend nicely for a very smooth taste. Fairly full and heavy for the style and an ABV of 6.7..highly recommend..
That's a new SN to me. Sounds tasty...I'll keep an eye out. I have yet to have a SN that wasn't pale..do they make any, or are they specialty like Duck Rabbit? (theirs is dark ales)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 24th, 2009, 11:15 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:That's a new SN to me. Sounds tasty...I'll keep an eye out. I have yet to have a SN that wasn't pale..do they make any, or are they specialty like Duck Rabbit? (theirs is dark ales)
I used to buy Sierra Nevada Porter pretty regularly at the Kroger on Evans St. in Greenville. It's rather tasty, though I prefer Anchor Porter (among the best porters on the market, IMO).
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 24th, 2009, 11:17 pm

wilson wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:That's a new SN to me. Sounds tasty...I'll keep an eye out. I have yet to have a SN that wasn't pale..do they make any, or are they specialty like Duck Rabbit? (theirs is dark ales)
I used to buy Sierra Nevada Porter pretty regularly at the Kroger on Evans St. in Greenville. It's rather tasty, though I prefer Anchor Porter (among the best porters on the market, IMO).
You'll also run across SN's ESB from time to time...closer to pale ales in flavor, finish, etc. than a porter, but not a pale ale proper; a very nice copper-hued brew.