Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 21st, 2009, 8:21 am

devildeac wrote:Saranac Pumpkin Ale-Lotsa spice and barely any pumpkin. Cloves, allspice, cinnamon and vanilla are the additives to a medium amber ale. Crisp, clean pour, modest head and the nose and flavors are all of the above. Nicely balanced hops (very mild) and malty sweetness (very mild also) with an estimated IBU of 20-30 and an ABV of about 5%. I had this with a couple bowls of K68 chili and the pairing was quite pleasant, even with his secret added fiery ingredient. A good Tillygate FB session brew.
I'm not sure there is ANY pumpkin in it, and maybe that's why I'm almost done with the rest of the 6 pack. I think they should rename it to just "spiced ale". I find it easily drinkable, and being in the same came as bluebear (not always a fan of the pumpkin) this brew is a nice find. It's Saranac, so hopefully it won't be too hard to locate.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2009, 9:04 am

Tried to order some of the Great Divide (?) oak-aged Yeti Imperial stout (on draft) for my dessert/with my dessert last PM at Tyler's Taproom but they were out of it.

:( :( :( :( :(

and

:(( :(( :(( :(( :((
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2009, 4:20 pm

Hey wilson, think you can find some of these?

http://www.ccbeer.com/beerlist/Mutiny+Fleet

As they say on their web site, they're extrAARRRGGHHdinary. (disclaimer: I have never had any of these but if 8-x can find some, I'm a tradin'/drinkin")

:)) :)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2009, 4:29 pm

Hey, CB&B, I almost bought a 6er of this but the date on it was 3/09 so I passed. If you see it, be wary of the date. http://www.ccbeer.com/files/ccbeerfiles/winter.jpg

I think I'll buy a 6er of the Duck-Rabbit Wee Heavy Scotch Ale and some New Belgium Hoptober if I can find it before Saturday. If not, it may be 4 DFH Punkin' Ale and 4 Founder's Imperial Stout. I'll have a Keelhauler Scotch Ale bomber from Full Sail to share, too. Sound tasty? :D =p~
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 21st, 2009, 4:44 pm

devildeac wrote:Hey, CB&B, I almost bought a 6er of this but the date on it was 3/09 so I passed. If you see it, be wary of the date. http://www.ccbeer.com/files/ccbeerfiles/winter.jpg
It's Heavy Seas so it's probably tasty. I'm amazed you worry about the date on a beer! :jawdrop:
devildeac wrote: I think I'll buy a 6er of the Duck-Rabbit Wee Heavy Scotch Ale and some New Belgium Hoptober if I can find it before Saturday. If not, it may be 4 DFH Punkin' Ale and 4 Founder's Imperial Stout. I'll have a Keelhauler Scotch Ale bomber from Full Sail to share, too. Sound tasty? :D =p~
The Wee Heavy is tasty, I remember it from the tasting I attended last year. :-bd
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » September 21st, 2009, 7:48 pm

devildeac wrote:Hey wilson, think you can find some of these?

As they say on their web site, they're extrAARRRGGHHdinary. (disclaimer: I have never had any of these but if 8-x can find some, I'm a tradin'/drinkin")

I've had the dipa which is not bad...very malty for a dipa...Can't wait for the tripel..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 21st, 2009, 8:05 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm brewing tonight. Which means 3 weeks from today, an interesting wheat beer will be ready for drinking.
Highlights of the recipe are
sweet orange peel
coriander
paradise seed

This should be a well spiced classic wheat with plenty of citrus notes. We'll see before the month is up.
Well I slacked and didn't brew last night, but I have been tonight. A few thoughts as I'm getting ready to start the boil...
Freshly crushed paradise seed is one of the world's best scents. I didn't know that until I started crushing.
The beer will probably be my palest ever, very close to white. The mash called for several stages at different temps, which I haven't done before. I don't know if I'd notice a difference overall, but it has been more fun.
I haven't opened the orange peel yet, but the coriander and paradise seeds go in with 10 minutes left in the boil...I might do half at 10 and the remainder with 5 to go. I don't want to boil out too much of that aroma and flavor. The orange peel goes in right after the boil ends. It's dried, but I'm assuming it will work just as well.
Drinking commences in 3 weeks. (In brunchgate time, that means it will be ready for the twerps.)
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » September 21st, 2009, 8:10 pm

devildeac wrote:Hey wilson, think you can find some of these?

Just remember to take a picture of that special tribute to Wilson when you post your assessment! YAY, I found something DD has not drank!!! :D :D :D and I got it with Wilson in mind!!! :Pirate: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » September 21st, 2009, 8:11 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm brewing tonight. Which means 3 weeks from today, an interesting wheat beer will be ready for drinking.
Highlights of the recipe are
sweet orange peel
coriander
paradise seed

This should be a well spiced classic wheat with plenty of citrus notes. We'll see before the month is up.
Well I slacked and didn't brew last night, but I have been tonight. A few thoughts as I'm getting ready to start the boil...
Freshly crushed paradise seed is one of the world's best scents. I didn't know that until I started crushing.
The beer will probably be my palest ever, very close to white. The mash called for several stages at different temps, which I haven't done before. I don't know if I'd notice a difference overall, but it has been more fun.
I haven't opened the orange peel yet, but the coriander and paradise seeds go in with 10 minutes left in the boil...I might do half at 10 and the remainder with 5 to go. I don't want to boil out too much of that aroma and flavor. The orange peel goes in right after the boil ends. It's dried, but I'm assuming it will work just as well.
Drinking commences in 3 weeks. (In brunchgate time, that means it will be ready for the twerps.)
Can I eat the bacon before you put it in for flavor!!!!! WE CAN call it like it was there! :)) :)) :)) :))
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » September 21st, 2009, 11:00 pm

devildeac wrote:Tried to order some of the Great Divide (?) oak-aged Yeti Imperial stout (on draft) for my dessert/with my dessert last PM at Tyler's Taproom but they were out of it.

and

Too bad. That's a delicious beer. They now make four varieties of the Yetti. There's original, Oak Aged, Chocolate Oak Aged (brewed with cocoa nibs and cayenne pepper...really, really good) and Espresso Oak Aged, which they actually recommend with breakfast.

I haven't yet had the Tripel, but the Hoss Rye Lager is a winner if you see it.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2009, 11:30 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote:Tried to order some of the Great Divide (?) oak-aged Yeti Imperial stout (on draft) for my dessert/with my dessert last PM at Tyler's Taproom but they were out of it.

and

Too bad. That's a delicious beer. They now make four varieties of the Yetti. There's original, Oak Aged, Chocolate Oak Aged (brewed with cocoa nibs and cayenne pepper...really, really good) and Espresso Oak Aged, which they actually recommend with breakfast.

They were out of the Chocolate Oak Aged. :cry: :((
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2009, 11:31 pm

Whole Foods has Le Freak and Epic and they will be added to the cellar this week. :D :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 22nd, 2009, 8:31 am

rockymtn devil wrote:

and

I love Yeti... I've seen the Hoss around but have been hesitant to buy a 6 pack..maybe I'll grab one next time I see it based on your rec. I've been hunting the Tripel since reading about it a month or so ago but haven't seen it anywhere. What I'd really like to find is some of the barrel-aged Hibernation Ale which they are releasing..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 22nd, 2009, 8:42 am

rockymtn devil wrote: Espresso Oak Aged, which they actually recommend with breakfast.
Hmmmm...breakfast or brunch!
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 22nd, 2009, 8:44 am

Pretty Things Jack D'Or...A very small local brewer producing only a handful of beers. This one is a saison.. Pours a deep straw color with a fairly large head. Taste is dominated by sharp white wine dryness. This is offset slightly by some tart fruit and citrusy hops. A bit of funk though far less than other saisons that I've tried. A very crisp, light and easy drinking beer but very tasty..about 6.5%..

Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale--Another saison..the newest addition to their big beer series. Big fruity taste with a nice blend of sweetness and tartness. Lots of funky yeast and a decent hop bite. There is a strange spiciness which didn't seem to blend well with the rest of the beer but this was fairly mild. A very good saison that I wish came out over the summer..I'll still try to grab another one of these before the cold settles in..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2009, 1:15 pm

bluebear wrote:Pretty Things Jack D'Or...A very small local brewer producing only a handful of beers. This one is a saison.. Pours a deep straw color with a fairly large head. Taste is dominated by sharp white wine dryness. This is offset slightly by some tart fruit and citrusy hops. A bit of funk though far less than other saisons that I've tried. A very crisp, light and easy drinking beer but very tasty..about 6.5%..

Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale--Another saison..the newest addition to their big beer series. Big fruity taste with a nice blend of sweetness and tartness. Lots of funky yeast and a decent hop bite. There is a strange spiciness which didn't seem to blend well with the rest of the beer but this was fairly mild. A very good saison that I wish came out over the summer..I'll still try to grab another one of these before the cold settles in..
I may add the Smuttynose to the Le Freak and Epic I'll be buying this afternoon. Plus their Imperial Porter or whatever I saw yesterday that I can't remember today.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 22nd, 2009, 1:20 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:Pretty Things Jack D'Or...A very small local brewer producing only a handful of beers. This one is a saison.. Pours a deep straw color with a fairly large head. Taste is dominated by sharp white wine dryness. This is offset slightly by some tart fruit and citrusy hops. A bit of funk though far less than other saisons that I've tried. A very crisp, light and easy drinking beer but very tasty..about 6.5%..

I may add the Smuttynose to the Le Freak and Epic I'll be buying this afternoon. Plus their Imperial Porter or whatever I saw yesterday that I can't remember today.
Probably their Baltic Porter..which is very good.
Have you had Le Freak? I've had a free other Green Flash brews and really liked them but I've yet to pick up Le Freak..sounds tasty though..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2009, 1:30 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Probably their Baltic Porter..which is very good.
Have you had Le Freak? I've had a free other Green Flash brews and really liked them but I've yet to pick up Le Freak..sounds tasty though..
Just saw Le Freak for the 1st time yesterday so I have never had it. I will by the end of the week.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » September 22nd, 2009, 9:35 pm

Well, fall roared into Colorado this week bringing nearly a foot of snow to the far west Denver suburbs and the chance of some snow in the city tonight. The bad news: my building has boiler heat and the boiler hasn't been turn on yet.

The good news: cold weather beers to warm me up, of course. I stopped at the store on the way home to pick up a 4-pack of DFH Punkin Ale and will post thoughts shortly. Last night I opened a bottle of 2008 Beast (half of which will be killed after dinner tonight).

After 16 months the beer's booziness has subdued a bit, but it was still the dominant feature (2008's ABV was 16.3%). The nose was heavy with burnt sugar, vanilla and cherries. The flavor, however, had changed quite a bit. Instead of simply following the nose, it showed lots more fruit--pineapple, mango, oranges. It was kind of a tropical blast mixed in with a winter warmer. I have one last bottle of 2008 which I'll store away for as long as possible.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2009, 10:03 pm

Tyler's Taproom seasonal flite:

(yes, it's spelt that way on their menu...)

1. Gaffel Kolsch (I am NOT searching around for an umlaut)-good representation of the style with light, fruity notes, slightly floral and spicy hops and a touch of maltiness. IBU about 20-30 and an ABV of 5%. A nice starter/session beer but was blown away by the spicy, red peppery parmesan dressing on the blacked salmon. This is a nice brew to quaff on a warm summer evening.