Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » September 17th, 2009, 10:43 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bluebear wrote:any fans of pumpkin beers..any favorites? I always crave them this time of year but never enjoy them as much as I expect to..
I'm with you there. I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin spiced coffee, pumpkin spiced tea, but pumpkin spiced beer ain't happening. Just because it's fall doesn't mean it needs to be pumpkinized.
Pumpkinized? Who are you chaneling here?

:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » September 18th, 2009, 9:25 am

bluebear wrote:Stone 09-09-09 vertical epic..While I like english porters like Sam Smiths taddy porter, I've never been a huge fan of baltic porters which often taste to me like weak imperial stouts..this was one of the better ones that I've tried. Pours a dark brown, nearly black with only a little head. Taste up front is strong bitter dark chocolate. This leads to a strange spiciness which reminds me of some belgian tripels.. There is a bit of a hop kick but this is really dominated by the roasted malts. I started this beer a little cold and it improved significantly after warming which really smoothed out the taste and brought out the vanilla and oak..good beer and I will likely buy one to cellar for a bit..
Did you pick up an extra bottle to age? I did this for a couple of years, but always ended up drinking my reserve. L-) :-bd
sMiles
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » September 18th, 2009, 8:52 pm

Miles wrote:
bluebear wrote:Stone 09-09-09 vertical epic..While I like english porters like Sam Smiths taddy porter, I've never been a huge fan of baltic porters which often taste to me like weak imperial stouts..this was one of the better ones that I've tried. Pours a dark brown, nearly black with only a little head. Taste up front is strong bitter dark chocolate. This leads to a strange spiciness which reminds me of some belgian tripels.. There is a bit of a hop kick but this is really dominated by the roasted malts. I started this beer a little cold and it improved significantly after warming which really smoothed out the taste and brought out the vanilla and oak..good beer and I will likely buy one to cellar for a bit..
Did you pick up an extra bottle to age? I did this for a couple of years, but always ended up drinking my reserve. L-) :-bd
I'm terrible at cellaring beers but thanks to devildeac's encouragement :D , I am improving. I grabbed another bottle today and stashed it away. I doubt I will make it to 2012 but I'll settle for 2010...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 18th, 2009, 10:12 pm

Arrived alive at VDB's house tonight, and on the way stopped into Total Wine. Bought lots of goodies, some will be for drinking tomorrow, some will be for trades. Also stopped by the home brewer supply to pick up my ingredients for my next brew, which I decided will be a wheat beer.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2009, 12:45 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Arrived alive at VDB's house tonight, and on the way stopped into Total Wine. Bought lots of goodies, some will be for drinking tomorrow, some will be for trades. Also stopped by the home brewer supply to pick up my ingredients for my next brew, which I decided will be a wheat beer.
I'll bring some extra...
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 19th, 2009, 7:38 am

STILL waiting for the first of the year Schlafly pumpkin.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2009, 8:30 pm

This one should stay near the top for a while after Tillygate today :D .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 19th, 2009, 8:31 pm

devildeac wrote:This one should stay near the top for a while after Tillygate today :D .
Agreed...I'm clearing my fridge of the dregs now in anticipation of better sippings.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2009, 8:45 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:This one should stay near the top for a while after Tillygate today :D .
Agreed...I'm clearing my fridge of the dregs now in anticipation of better sippings.
Dregs? What did you have in there, budlitelime? :)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2009, 8:52 pm

I'm not sure I'm ready for this though:

http://www.luxist.com/2009/09/17/per-se ... on-beer%2F
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 19th, 2009, 9:05 pm

devildeac wrote:I'm not sure I'm ready for this though:

http://www.luxist.com/2009/09/17/per-se ... on-beer%2F
I don't need a new smilie for that. :ymsick:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 20th, 2009, 2:41 pm

Shipyard Export Ale-Maine-new brew to me though I know vaguely of the brewery. A nice starter beer for Tillygate. It was an amber ale with minimal bitterness and a bit of toastiness from crystal and caramel malts. Had this with veggies and some dips and crackers (no, not a sleeve of crackers ;) ) which made a nice combination. I'd guess 20-30 IBU and about 5% ABV. Next up-Saranac Pumpkin Ale
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » September 20th, 2009, 4:26 pm

Bacon Beer sounds good. It would be good with a brown ale for a nice salty-sweet combo.

New Belgium Hoptober--As I indicated a few days ago, this is NB's new fall seasonal. It's billed as Golden Ale, but that's more of an appearance descriptor than an accurate stylistic reflection. I'd call this an Autumn American Pale Ale. It has a nice grassy, citrusy nose that comes off like an IPA. The flavor starts down that path, but finishes with lots of autumn fruits--apples and dark cherries especially. In that sense, it tastes a bit like an Oktoberfest and it definitely has the crispness of a fall lager. The malt presence is minimal, but that's okay for me--I don't get worked up about "balance". Enjoyable.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 20th, 2009, 4:36 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Bacon Beer sounds good.
No. It doesn't. I imagine it doesn't smell good either. Or taste good. It probably doesn't even feel good. :puke: It should be :banned:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 20th, 2009, 5:23 pm

I'm brewing tonight. Which means 3 weeks from today, an interesting wheat beer will be ready for drinking.
Highlights of the recipe are
sweet orange peel
coriander
paradise seed

This should be a well spiced classic wheat with plenty of citrus notes. We'll see before the month is up.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 20th, 2009, 7:47 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm brewing tonight. Which means 3 weeks from today, an interesting wheat beer will be ready for drinking.
sweet orange peel
coriander
paradise seed

This should be a well spiced classic wheat with plenty of citrus notes. We'll see before the month is up.
wow...sounds incredible...i think you need to make a trip to boston when its ready.. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 20th, 2009, 10:14 pm

bluebear wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm brewing tonight. Which means 3 weeks from today, an interesting wheat beer will be ready for drinking.
sweet orange peel
coriander
paradise seed

wow...sounds incredible...i think you need to make a trip to boston when its ready.. :D
No, we think you need to make a trip to Homecoming this weekend or Parents weekend in October, err, Oktober. ;) :D :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2009, 7:50 am

Saranac Pumpkin Ale-Lotsa spice and barely any pumpkin. Cloves, allspice, cinnamon and vanilla are the additives to a medium amber ale. Crisp, clean pour, modest head and the nose and flavors are all of the above. Nicely balanced hops (very mild) and malty sweetness (very mild also) with an estimated IBU of 20-30 and an ABV of about 5%. I had this with a couple bowls of K68 chili and the pairing was quite pleasant, even with his secret added fiery ingredient. A good Tillygate FB session brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2009, 7:54 am

Old Chub Scotch Ale-Oskar Blues Brewing Company, Colorado-I have reviewed this before, as has rmd and perhaps even CB&B but it is worthy of another mention. Don't let the can deter you, this is one fine scotch ale and matched nicely with a corned beef sammich, some more K68 chili and a grilled tube steak or two at Tillygate. Pick yourself up a 6er if you see it and share with a friend or two and save the last 3 cans for yourself. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2009, 8:20 am

I'll take Ymm, Beer for #800 please, Alex :D .

Full Sail Doublebock-Hood River, Oregon-A bomber "smuggled" back directly from the brewery for $3 ( :D ) from our March trip to the Pacific NW. Bocks were/are typically brewed in the late winter/early spring for the fasts the monks/clergy used to have so they could be sustained with this "liquid bread." It is "lagered" for 1-3 months and then ready for consumption around the Easter holiday. It is indeed a lager and not an ale but I think rmd might like this one, too ;) :D. This is a medium to dark brown pour and there is little hop presence and a ton of malty sweetness. This is a whole grain toasty-bready taste (but still no burger ;) ) with milk chocolate and dark caramels predominating. Best served at a cellar temperature and shared with friends like CB&B and 8-x with a huge piece of carrot cake, or by itself, too. IBU are low, guessing 20-30 here and the ABV was 8% which is fairly typical for a double bock. This is probably only available at the brewery on the gorgeous Columbia River or in specialty shops in the Portland area :( .