Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CathyCA » September 15th, 2009, 11:06 pm

wilson wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
DUKEBLUE252 wrote:
after 5 years i finally found my favorite seasonal! Jack's pumpkin spiced ale (michelob) i was talked into sampling it at a bar in jacksonville (after a little arm twisting) and recently found it again @HT. it only took 2 years of nagging the distributor to finally get it. DESCRIPTION : drinking pumpkin pie (im having one for breakfast!) :-bd
Michelob is my favorite big brewer for attempting to at least try craft style beers. I always look for their seasonal sampler pack at Christmas time.
Good to see we have another beer person in here, I wish we had a better selection to choose from in eastern NC. Harris Teeter and Food Lion have fair selections, but for the best we need a Total Wine store, and the closest is in Raleigh. Grrrr. The Homebrew Haus in New Bern has a small selection, but what he has is all very good. That's the store I buy my brewing supplies from.
Is there a Lowe's Foods near you? The one in Greenville had a very respectable beer selection when I was there.
That's MY Lowe's Foods! Do you want me to pick up anything for you? I could deliver it on Saturday.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » September 15th, 2009, 11:19 pm

I've pondered what my #2,000 post would be and where it would go since the pressure was on! I would like to start out by saying that each and everyone of you Crazie's have become a part of my virtual family over the months since we kicked this experiment off and I think all y'all rock and I look forward to meeting each and every one of you. So, while enjoying a mess of clams, steamed and smoked on the grill last night, I concluded that I would follow in the steps of my mentors and adhere to tradition and post in the Ymm, Beer thread my first review of a Chimay Ale "Peres Trappistes" Cinq Cents in honor of this milestone. My mentors have taught me well on the appreciation of a fine brew and I must say that this is an INCREDIBLE brew.

I spent sometime trying to shake the old habits of years ago that involved drinking beer for anything but the taste, but although that is fun at times, I have come to appreciate the qualities associated with beer tasting and I share my research with those that are interested in my experience. I followed the masters and read alot of internet and labels and took copious notes and sort of winged it on my reviews and my attempts to share reviews was graciously invited and accepted regardless of how bad they were and I am most appreciative of that. Thus, I found this website (http://beeradvocate.com) and as stated on the beeradvocate website, "There are five categories to evaluating a beer with your review which are as follows:

Appearance (A) - Note the beer's color, carbonation, head and its retention. Is it clear or cloudy? Does it look lackluster and dull or alive and inviting?

Smell (S) - Bring the beer to your nose. Note the beer's aromatic qualities. Malts: sweet, roasty, smoky, toasty, chocolaty, nutty, caramelly, biscuity? Hops: dank / resiny, herbal, perfumy, spicy, leafy, grassy, floral, piney, citrusy? Yeast will also create aromas. You might get fruity or flowery aromas (esters) from ales and very clean aromas from lagers, which will allow the malt and hop subtleties to pull through.

Taste (T) - Take a deep sip of the beer. Note any flavors, or interpretations of flavors, that you might discover. The descriptions will be similar to what you smell. Is the beer built-well? Is there a balance between the ingredients? Was the beer brewed with a specific dominance of character in mind? How does it fit the style?

Mouthfeel (M) - Take another sip and let it wander. Note how the beer feels on the palate and its body. Light, heavy, chewy, thin / watery, smooth or coarse? Was the beer flat, over-carbonated?

Drinkability (D) - The beer's overall ease of consumption and your overall impression of the beer. Would you have another?"

So my review tonight of this Chimay will include these 5 elements and this being my first experience with a Chimay, I dedicate it to the King who turned me onto this fine brew:

(A) - It was a bit cloudy as I poured, but it was a beautiful golden-honey color and formed a great white head as it quickly calmed down and got ready for me to devour! This is an attractive beer!!!!

(S) - I loved the smell of this beer as soon as the cork "went" shooting across my kitchen. The Aroma was enormous as it caught my attention immediately and maintained it through out our experience. It has been reported that the Yeast and bready malt were most apparent, then the caramel malt and fruit notes including banana and I am still perfecting these taste buds but for lack of my elegance, I'd have to agree because the residual taste on my palate is still stimulating ME (I think my 100' coax needs a cold shower) :-D and the sweetness is still lingering!!!!!

(T) - I took several deep sips of this beer and all I can say is it was yummy. With each sip, the taste became smoother and smoother.

(M) - It leaves bubbles in my mouth as I swirled and swallowed (similiar to a fine champagne). High amount of carbonation that is still tingling my tongue, I like it!!!!

(D) - I think that I could quickly get toasted on this beer because it is soo good and potent at 8% ABV! I wouldn't need but probably 2 and OMG, I might become REALLY FRIENDLY!!!!! It is soo good and I'm glad I wasn't drinking it while eating clams, although that was my intent, because I would have had to pop the cork on the other bottle I have. I would definitely have another and another and another!!!! I can't wait to taste the Chimay Reserve brand.

Thanks to all for not taking me too seriously as I enjoy goofing with all y'all and have really enjoyed getting to know each of you and those to come! You all are AWESOME!!!!! So I say, cheers as I lift this last drink towards "infinity and beyond", so let the PWing continue.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 15th, 2009, 11:36 pm

cl15876 wrote:I've pondered what my #2,000 post would be and where it would go since the pressure was on! I would like to start out by saying that each and everyone of you Crazie's have become a part of my virtual family over the months since we kicked this experiment off and I think all y'all rock and I look forward to meeting each and every one of you. So, while enjoying a mess of clams, steamed and smoked on the grill last night, I concluded that I would follow in the steps of my mentors and adhere to tradition and post in the Ymm, Beer thread my first review of a Chimay Ale "Peres Trappistes" Cinq Cents in honor of this milestone. My mentors have taught me well on the appreciation of a fine brew and I must say that this is an INCREDIBLE brew.

I spent sometime trying to shake the old habits of years ago that involved drinking beer for anything but the taste, but although that is fun at times, I have come to appreciate the qualities associated with beer tasting and I share my research with those that are interested in my experience. I followed the masters and read alot of internet and labels and took copious notes and sort of winged it on my reviews and my attempts to share reviews was graciously invited and accepted regardless of how bad they were and I am most appreciative of that. Thus, I found this website (http://beeradvocate.com) and as stated on the beeradvocate website, "There are five categories to evaluating a beer with your review which are as follows:

Appearance (A) - Note the beer's color, carbonation, head and its retention. Is it clear or cloudy? Does it look lackluster and dull or alive and inviting?

Smell (S) - Bring the beer to your nose. Note the beer's aromatic qualities. Malts: sweet, roasty, smoky, toasty, chocolaty, nutty, caramelly, biscuity? Hops: dank / resiny, herbal, perfumy, spicy, leafy, grassy, floral, piney, citrusy? Yeast will also create aromas. You might get fruity or flowery aromas (esters) from ales and very clean aromas from lagers, which will allow the malt and hop subtleties to pull through.

Taste (T) - Take a deep sip of the beer. Note any flavors, or interpretations of flavors, that you might discover. The descriptions will be similar to what you smell. Is the beer built-well? Is there a balance between the ingredients? Was the beer brewed with a specific dominance of character in mind? How does it fit the style?

Mouthfeel (M) - Take another sip and let it wander. Note how the beer feels on the palate and its body. Light, heavy, chewy, thin / watery, smooth or coarse? Was the beer flat, over-carbonated?

Drinkability (D) - The beer's overall ease of consumption and your overall impression of the beer. Would you have another?"

So my review tonight of this Chimay will include these 5 elements and this being my first experience with a Chimay, I dedicate it to the King who turned me onto this fine brew:

(A) - It was a bit cloudy as I poured, but it was a beautiful golden-honey color and formed a great white head as it quickly calmed down and got ready for me to devour! This is an attractive beer!!!!

(S) - I loved the smell of this beer as soon as the cork "went" shooting across my kitchen. The Aroma was enormous as it caught my attention immediately and maintained it through out our experience. It has been reported that the Yeast and bready malt were most apparent, then the caramel malt and fruit notes including banana and I am still perfecting these taste buds but for lack of my elegance, I'd have to agree because the residual taste on my palate is still stimulating ME (I think my 100' coax needs a cold shower) :-D and the sweetness is still lingering!!!!!

(T) - I took several deep sips of this beer and all I can say is it was yummy. With each sip, the taste became smoother and smoother.

(M) - It leaves bubbles in my mouth as I swirled and swallowed (similiar to a fine champagne). High amount of carbonation that is still tingling my tongue, I like it!!!!

(D) - I think that I could quickly get toasted on this beer because it is soo good and potent at 8% ABV! I wouldn't need but probably 2 and OMG, I might become REALLY FRIENDLY!!!!! It is soo good and I'm glad I wasn't drinking it while eating clams, although that was my intent, because I would have had to pop the cork on the other bottle I have. I would definitely have another and another and another!!!! I can't wait to taste the Chimay Reserve brand.

Thanks to all for not taking me too seriously as I enjoy goofing with all y'all and have really enjoyed getting to know each of you and those to come! You all are AWESOME!!!!! So I say, cheers as I lift this last drink towards "infinity and beyond", so let the PWing continue.
I was gonna stop tonight with #3000 but just couldn't resist after reading this review/tribute. A classic post for a classic milestone.

Great stuff, 8-x . Seriously. Not only should rmd, bluebear (where are you?), CB&B, other hopheads/beer snobs and I sincerely appreciate this from a personal and friendship standpoint, but we should appreciate it from a beer hunter's standpoint. This is a classic beer review and you have posted the "standards" by which a beer should be reviewed. Thanks for sharing and for being a regular contributor here.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2009, 7:26 am

wilson wrote:Is there a Lowe's Foods near you? The one in Greenville had a very respectable beer selection when I was there.
We have a couple, that's a good idea. I haven't been in a long while. There selection was on par with Harris Teeter, both were better than Food Lion.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 16th, 2009, 7:31 am

devildeac wrote: I was gonna stop tonight with #3000 but just couldn't resist after reading this review/tribute. A classic post for a classic milestone.

Great stuff, 8-x . Seriously. Not only should rmd, bluebear (where are you?), CB&B, other hopheads/beer snobs and I sincerely appreciate this from a personal and friendship standpoint, but we should appreciate it from a beer hunter's standpoint. This is a classic beer review and you have posted the "standards" by which a beer should be reviewed. Thanks for sharing and for being a regular contributor here.
I'll second that, great review. Congrats on post 2000, you did it in magnificent fashion!
cl15876 wrote:while enjoying a mess of clams
How many clams is a mess?
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » September 16th, 2009, 8:09 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: I was gonna stop tonight with #3000 but just couldn't resist after reading this review/tribute. A classic post for a classic milestone.

I'll second that, great review. Congrats on post 2000, you did it in magnificent fashion!
cl15876 wrote:while enjoying a mess of clams
How many clams is a mess?
Thanks for teaching, encouraging and supporting me!!!! :-bd \m/

BTW - As I understand it, a mess of clams is about 3 dozen or so and in my case it was 2 dozen and they were so meaty that I couldn't finish them all. I had about 5 left over and if I had not made the fresh broccoli, I probably could have finished them! They were delicious with nothing added like sauces to squelch the taste!!!! :ymblushing: :ymparty:
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 16th, 2009, 10:37 am

Excellent post CLbunchofnumbers! I especially enjoyed the beer review tutorial. I'm going to save that one. Congrats on 2000 posts!!
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » September 16th, 2009, 9:09 pm

devildeac wrote:
Couldn't agree more with devildeac..an absolutely fantastic review that makes me want to rush out to the store to buy both clams and chimay...you are setting very high standards for the rest of us, cl15876...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 16th, 2009, 9:17 pm

I've been thinning out existing beer stashes over the past week so haven't tried anything new but today I did score a bottle of Stone 09-09-09 Vertical Epic..and while the label tells me I should wait until 2012, I'm actually only going to wait until about 930 tonight..apparently, this year's version is a chocolate porter with vanilla and oak..review to follow tomorrow..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 16th, 2009, 9:22 pm

bluebear wrote:I've been thinning out existing beer stashes over the past week so haven't tried anything new but today I did score a bottle of Stone 09-09-09 Vertical Epic..and while the label tells me I should wait until 2012, I'm actually only going to wait until about 930 tonight..apparently, this year's version is a chocolate porter with vanilla and oak..review to follow tomorrow..
That sounds delicious. I knew they brewed an Epic every year for that occasion but don't think I have had one for years. Technically, if you opened it at 812 PM tonight, you would be waiting until 2012 for it (military/24 hour time, that is... ;) :D :roll: )
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » September 16th, 2009, 9:41 pm

As has been indicated, great review from clbunchanumbers. Did you plan the clams around the beer (or the other way around)? Some form of shell fish (clams or mussels) is probably the ideal pairing with the beer, so I'm sure it was wonderful meal. Congrats on the milestone!
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » September 16th, 2009, 11:54 pm

New seasonal offering from New Belgium. Hoptober is the new fall seasonal.

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/hoptober

For the past few years, the good people at NB have lacked a autumn seasonal. The result has been Skinny Dip (the summer offering) being on the shelves much later than anyone wants to drink it and 2-Below showing up before the leaves have turned or snow has fallen. Hopefully Hoptober bridges the gap between them nicely. I'll report once I get a chance to try.

I'll also be attending the Great American Beer Festival next week and will provide reports from that at some point. Full disclosure: GABF falls on the weekend after my amicus brief to the Colorado Supreme Court is due, so odds are I won't remember too much :D :lol: and that will be by design.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 17th, 2009, 8:43 am

rockymtn devil wrote:New seasonal offering from New Belgium. Hoptober is the new fall seasonal.

For the past few years, the good people at NB have lacked a autumn seasonal. The result has been Skinny Dip (the summer offering) being on the shelves much later than anyone wants to drink it and 2-Below showing up before the leaves have turned or snow has fallen. Hopefully Hoptober bridges the gap between them nicely. I'll report once I get a chance to try.

I'll also be attending the Great American Beer Festival next week and will provide reports from that at some point. Full disclosure: GABF falls on the weekend after my amicus brief to the Colorado Supreme Court is due, so odds are I won't remember too much :D :lol: and that will be by design.
Two words: take notes. Seriously. I have done that with samplers or a couple of the beer fests that I have attended. It helps the next day for writing reviews. ;) :D
Miles

Post by Miles » September 17th, 2009, 9:16 am

rockymtn devil wrote:New seasonal offering from New Belgium. Hoptober is the new fall seasonal.

I'll drink Skinny Dip throughout the year. I think it is the best light beer out there. :-bd
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 17th, 2009, 1:45 pm

Carumba...
This year's Schlafly raspberry Hef is not as good as last year's. I rank Leiney ahead of it.
How can this be?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 17th, 2009, 2:20 pm

Lavabe wrote:Carumba...
This year's Schlafly raspberry Hef is not as good as last year's. I rank Leiney ahead of it.
How can this be?
Bummer, it's been while since I've had a leiney fruit flavor..the last one I had I wasn't thrilled with, so that doesn't say much for the Sclaffly. I'll never turn down a sunset wheat though.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 17th, 2009, 9:12 pm

Stone 09-09-09 vertical epic..While I like english porters like Sam Smiths taddy porter, I've never been a huge fan of baltic porters which often taste to me like weak imperial stouts..this was one of the better ones that I've tried. Pours a dark brown, nearly black with only a little head. Taste up front is strong bitter dark chocolate. This leads to a strange spiciness which reminds me of some belgian tripels.. There is a bit of a hop kick but this is really dominated by the roasted malts. I started this beer a little cold and it improved significantly after warming which really smoothed out the taste and brought out the vanilla and oak..good beer and I will likely buy one to cellar for a bit..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 17th, 2009, 9:14 pm

any fans of pumpkin beers..any favorites? I always crave them this time of year but never enjoy them as much as I expect to..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 17th, 2009, 9:18 pm

bluebear wrote:any fans of pumpkin beers..any favorites? I always crave them this time of year but never enjoy them as much as I expect to..
I'm with you there. I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin spiced coffee, pumpkin spiced tea, but pumpkin spiced beer ain't happening. Just because it's fall doesn't mean it needs to be pumpkinized.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 17th, 2009, 10:42 pm

bluebear wrote:any fans of pumpkin beers..any favorites? I always crave them this time of year but never enjoy them as much as I expect to..
DFH Punkin' Ale
Schlafly's Pumpkin ale if you can get Lavabe to deliver one... :D