Ymm, tennis

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Ymm, tennis

Post by Lavabe » September 10th, 2009, 8:39 am

I figured with a thread title like that, MAYBE Earl o'Jammeth might show up.

Did anyone else watch the women's quarterfinals of the US Open last night? On prime time (up against Obama), Melanie Oudin (teenager from Marietta, GA) lost in straight sets. However, I just read one report in which her performance throughout the tournament may have boosted CBS's ratings for the coverage by 18%. I wonder if ESPN's ratings shot up as well. The crowds in the stadium were not unlike those of Connors in primetime. It was really entertaining tennis.

For a feel of how much coverage Oudin brought to the event, when I went to ESPN's web site this morning, it received more space than did Ozzie's pal, Derek Jeter.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Ymm, tennis

Post by Lavabe » September 13th, 2009, 8:33 am

Serena had a meltdown last night in the semis. After losing the first set, she received a warning for conduct. She was called for a foot fault at 15-30 while trailing 5-6 in the second set. The foot fault caused a double fault, making it 15-40. After losing that point, she berated the official who called the foot fault. The officials then discussed things and reprimanded Serena by docking her a point.

And THAT ended the match.

Amazing!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 13th, 2009, 9:32 am

Lavabe wrote:Serena had a meltdown last night in the semis. After losing the first set, she received a warning for conduct. She was called for a foot fault at 15-30 while trailing 5-6 in the second set. The foot fault caused a double fault, making it 15-40. After losing that point, she berated the official who called the foot fault. The officials then discussed things and reprimanded Serena by docking her a point.

And THAT ended the match.

Amazing!
That's pretty damn funny. I like how tennis judges don't take crap, especially on the big stage.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » September 13th, 2009, 8:58 pm

That "foot fault" call really shouldn't have been called in that situation (in my opinion), but Serena should have shown 1,000 percent more poise. She really struggles with her emotions on the court, especially the negative emotions, and opponents thrive on that. My guess is she would make one of the world's worst poker players (not that she needs such a career).

On a side note, did anyone see the between-the-legs shot Federer pulled off tonight? He called it the "greatest shot" he's ever made. It truly was amazing. There was also a play earlier in the match when Djokovic charged the net and Federer tried a blazing passing shot. He miss hit the ball. The result? A perfect lob partially off the frame of the racquet that landed near the baseline for a winner. He's the freakin' David Blaine of tennis.

Now, getting ready for the women's finals. Go Kim Clijsters!

-Earl Jam (who is on the tennis comeback trail, winning 6-3, 6-3 this morning - highlights on SportsCenter at 11:00)
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 13th, 2009, 9:14 pm

EarlJam wrote:
-Earl Jam (who is on the tennis comeback trail, winning 6-3, 6-3 this morning - highlights on SportsCenter at 11:00)
Awesome to hear! I'll take you on one day. I'm sure I can still hit. I don't know if I can run, but at least it's not because I'm a smoker anymore.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 13th, 2009, 9:48 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
EarlJam wrote:
Awesome to hear! I'll take you on one day. I'm sure I can still hit. I don't know if I can run, but at least it's not because I'm a smoker anymore.
I'm a racquetball guy myself. Considerably easier than tennis, or at least it seems to me. I'd like to play some tennis someday though.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » September 14th, 2009, 12:27 am

wilson wrote:
EarlJam wrote:
I'm a racquetball guy myself. Considerably easier than tennis, or at least it seems to me. I'd like to play some tennis someday though.
If you ever want to play just let me know. I have extra racquets. And the fall season is the perfect time for playing.

-EJ
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 14th, 2009, 7:26 am

Yea, I'm totally bummed that I can't seem to find anyone near me that plays. You don't play, do you 8-x ?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 14th, 2009, 7:29 am

And that display by Serena was INCREDIBLE! "I'm gonna shove this fucking ball down your fucking throat!" Real classy for a woman to threaten a woman half her size. Total bullying. And she didn't even apologize afterward. Poor judge looked terrified. Even if it's a bad call, that's part of the game. The judges are human too. How many times are NFL or college football or basketball games decided by a call made at a bad time? ALL THE TIME. If you don't want that situation to arise, you take care of business. You make sure it doesn't matter. I think Serena was frustrated and saw the writing on the wall and decided to take the easy way out instead of admitting defeat. This way she can blame it on the refs and terp instead of admitting that she got her ass kicked.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » September 14th, 2009, 8:15 am

bjornolf wrote:Yea, I'm totally bummed that I can't seem to find anyone near me that plays. You don't play, do you 8-x ?

%%-
As a matter of fact.... I do, but it's been almost 20 years since I walked out on the tennis court! I will have to dig my old racquets and we'll have to give it a whirl! :-bd During undergrad pursuits, I was able to take both a tennis and white water canoeing electives, thinking they would be cake walk classes. Although the athletics were easy and I thoroughly enjoyed, I have to tell you those were two classes (especially white water canoeing) that were definitely not cake walks when it came to planning and research and in classroom tests and trip reports.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 14th, 2009, 9:21 am

cl15876 wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Yea, I'm totally bummed that I can't seem to find anyone near me that plays. You don't play, do you 8-x ?

%%-
As a matter of fact.... I do, but it's been almost 20 years since I walked out on the tennis court! I will have to dig my old racquets and we'll have to give it a whirl! :-bd During undergrad pursuits, I was able to take both a tennis and white water canoeing electives, thinking they would be cake walk classes. Although the athletics were easy and I thoroughly enjoyed, I have to tell you those were two classes (especially white water canoeing) that were definitely not cake walks when it came to planning and research and in classroom tests and trip reports.
I haven't picked up a racket in a couple years now, so we'd probably have fun. I have several rackets, so if you want to borrow one, you're welcome to. Let me know when you're available. I played a lot as a kid, but nothing formal, so if you took a class, you probably would have the advantage. But I just want to get out there and hit. I'm not looking for competition. Yet. ;)

-Joe

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Miles

Post by Miles » September 14th, 2009, 9:33 am

wilson wrote:
EarlJam wrote:
I entered into a racquetball tournament at the request of my instructor at school. There weren't enough players in the beginner's bracket so I got bumped up to an amateur bracket. I was pretty damn nervous before the match and then doubly so once my opponent enter the court. He was 12 years old, and born with a racquet in one hand. He schooled me, and I lost in the tie-breaker but I did manage to get him flustered with a sweet Z lob to his forehand. He got mad and his mommy had to calm him down. =))
sMiles
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » September 14th, 2009, 9:44 am

Careful, or he won't.....like you anymore.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Miles

Post by Miles » September 14th, 2009, 6:20 pm

Anybody watching Federer and Del Potro? Exciting match!
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » September 14th, 2009, 6:46 pm

Miles wrote:Anybody watching Federer and Del Potro? Exciting match!
Man, I really think I pretty much definitely cannot stand Roger Federer. After watching his exchange with the chair umpire I have to say he's an arrogant prick. He definitely had a valid grievance regarding Del Potro's timeframe to challenge, but there are better, more professional ways to address an official.
sMiles
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 14th, 2009, 7:54 pm

Miles wrote:
Man, I really think I pretty much definitely cannot stand Roger Federer. After watching his exchange with the chair umpire I have to say he's an arrogant prick. He definitely had a valid grievance regarding Del Potro's timeframe to challenge, but there are better, more professional ways to address an official.
What was so bad? I didn't see him do anything terrible. This is a marvelous match. I hope nothing happens to mess it up big time. This Del Potro is for REAL!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » September 14th, 2009, 8:15 pm

For the first time that I can remember, Federer looks really tired. Not going for some shots that he would normally go after. And below 50 percent on first serves????? Missing shots by one foot or more wide?

Very abnormal for the robot from Sweden.

-EarlJam (a Federer fan)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 14th, 2009, 8:17 pm

EarlJam wrote:
For the first time that I can remember, Federer looks really tired. Not going for some shots that he would normally go after. And below 50 percent on first serves????? Missing shots by one foot or more wide?

Very abnormal for the robot from Sweden.

-EarlJam (a Federer fan)
This is indeed a damn good match, and EarlJam, I agree with your assessment of Roger. I also share your sentiments about him. I also think that whether or not you like him, you have to afford him the respect due a transcendent champion.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 14th, 2009, 8:18 pm

wilson wrote:This is indeed a damn good match, and EarlJam, I agree with your assessment of Roger. I also share your sentiments about him. I also think that whether or not you like him, you have to afford him the respect due a transcendent champion.
That said, I generally root against him, in the interest of new blood if nothing else.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » September 14th, 2009, 8:22 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:This is indeed a damn good match, and EarlJam, I agree with your assessment of Roger. I also share your sentiments about him. I also think that whether or not you like him, you have to afford him the respect due a transcendent champion.
That said, I generally root against him, in the interest of new blood if nothing else.

You are about to get your wish. Congrats to Del Potro.

Federer's wasted.