Duke vs. Army

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke vs. Army

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 12th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Cutcliffe just said about Renfree he wasn't going to stop the momentum that he (Renfree) had. "When you are hot, you don't stop. It wasn't a statement about Thad Lewis, it was a statement of confidence in Sean Renfree".
He said he played like he has been practicing, and was happy to see that his practice translated well into a game situation.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 12th, 2009, 4:08 pm

STATS

PASSING Cmp-Att-Int Yds TD Long Sack
Thaddeus Lewis 5-16-0 60 1 22 1
Sean Renfree 7-8-0 106 2 31 0
Totals... 12-24-0 166 3 31 1

For comparison. 7-8 is pretty insane..and of those 7, two were TD's, and of those TD's, one was his first pass as a college QB. I don't buy that Thad was only sacked once...I saw him go down more than that, he must have scrambled back to scrimmage. I also think Lewis' ratio is a little deceptive, some of his passes were on the numbers and dropped. Not all though, and less than a third completion rate ain't good.
I'm looking forward to watching the game on replay (yay for CBS network replay games) to really pay attention to some things.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » September 12th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Awesome end to the game, although the final score might be a *little* misleading. The two interceptions at the end were great though!
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » September 12th, 2009, 4:32 pm

CellR wrote:Awesome end to the game, although the final score might be a *little* misleading. The two interceptions at the end were great though!
Oops. I posted that before I saw the last 15 seconds of the game and the final score. Turned out to not be as misleading as I thought.
Class of 2014
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 12th, 2009, 4:36 pm

CellR wrote:Awesome end to the game, although the final score might be a *little* misleading. The two interceptions at the end were great though!
When a defense is good enough to score off an interception, that's not misleading. Good defense in football as well as in basketball can create scoring.
OldPhiKap
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by OldPhiKap » September 12th, 2009, 6:54 pm

Congratulations to the players and staff on a well-earned victory.

Let's build on it in Lawrence.

Go Duke!

-- OPK
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 13th, 2009, 12:07 am

Once again, there was dismayingly much with which to be frustrated. Particularly in the first half, the team spent way too much time looking totally out of sorts and overmatched.
The second half, however, was a completely different story...we pretty well controlled the game the whole way after the break.
Any team from the recent past, even last year's, would have had little if any realistic prospect of coming back from a 10-0 deficit on the road.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2009, 7:30 am

Just got to review the stats. Some thoughts:

1. Army had more 1st downs, total yards, and possession time. Some of those were a meaningless 70 yards gained or so on their last drive.
2. We missed ANOTHER short FG.
3. We only averaged 36+ yards/punt.
4. Both teams lost 2 fumbles with Army fumbling 3 times total.
5. They had more penalty yards than us (we STILL get all the calls :roll:) but our 45 yards is not acceptable.
6. We averaged 2+ yards/rushing attempt ( :oops: ) but it was better than last week.
7. The 2 INT were HUGE.
8. Renfree is taller.
9. We scored more points. :D

We'll need to improve a lot before playing KU. I'm worried about us getting our butts solidly kicked next week.

I'll wait for our resident FB manager/inside source to comment on the injuries, especially to Vernon.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » September 13th, 2009, 8:48 am

devildeac wrote:Just got to review the stats. Some thoughts:

1. Army had more 1st downs, total yards, and possession time. Some of those were a meaningless 70 yards gained or so on their last drive.
5. They had more penalty yards than us (we STILL get all the calls :roll:) but our 45 yards is not acceptable.
6. We averaged 2+ yards/rushing attempt ( :oops: ) but it was better than last week.
7. The 2 INT were HUGE.
8. Renfree is taller.

We'll need to improve a lot before playing KU. I'm worried about us getting our butts solidly kicked next week.

I'll wait for our resident FB manager/inside source to comment on the injuries, especially to Vernon.
1) Big deal. Scoreboard says 'Win for DUKE'
2) Big deal. Applications for accurate kickers should be accepted.
3) see point 2
4) Yecch! Hold the ball!
5) They (Army) got 11 penalties in their first game. They're mistake prone.
6) Offensive line needs to bone-up and make some holes. Uggh...let's call that 'running lanes'. Better, yes?
7)
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

...So happy for Leon Wright. He's been our best CB tackler since he was a freshman, and now his cover skills are catching up. To get back to back pick 6 (TD)
interceptions to seal the win is great!
I call it a 'Pick 12'. Didn't see it on Sportscenter, but it made CBS's 'Play of the Week'. Mine too.
8) Very important! Just ask a few others over yonder. They know. If you don't believe they know everything, just ask them.
9) Most vital statistic of the day! Keep it up!

Overall...this is a quite observant and a fine formula to judge the performance of the team.
Good job Mr. Moderator. Keep up the good work.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
dukediv2012
PW in training
PW in training

Post by dukediv2012 » September 13th, 2009, 8:55 am

Duke played extremely well yesterday! The first quarter was kind of scary, but I think it was because the team was too hyped up. In the locker room before the game, I thought that Vinny Rey was going to murder someone (he is the scariest person on earth).

Duke's first offensive possession was weak, and the first defensive set was AWFUL. I had the opportunity to ask Vinny Rey about that first drive after the game and he said, "They threw a play at us that we never saw on tape and we weren't ready for it. Sometimes that option offense can be really tricky, so it is hard to get used to it on the first possession." After the first drive the defense was amazing. We gave up a ton of yards in the first quarter, but not many points. The defense hunkered down at the right points yesterday which is alway encouraging.

Sean Renfree is the real deal folks. Duke's offense clicked while he was in the game in the 2nd half. I don't know what the plan is going to be for next week, but it should be an interesting week of practice...

Next week will be a true test of Duke's progress in practice this week.

The weekend was great up in NY and got even better this morning when I got a call from my group saying, "Your exemption really worked! You are the ONLY one from our group to get SEASON TICKETS FOR DUKE BASKETBALL!" March 6, 2010 can't come soon enough! My first ever Duke vs. Carolina game at CIS.

GO DUKE! FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL!
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » September 13th, 2009, 9:03 am

dukediv2012 wrote:Duke played extremely well yesterday! The first quarter was kind of scary, but I think it was because the team was too hyped up. In the locker room before the game, I thought that Vinny Rey was going to murder someone (he is the scariest person on earth).

Duke's first offensive possession was weak, and the first defensive set was AWFUL. I had the opportunity to ask Vinny Rey about that first drive after the game and he said, "They threw a play at us that we never saw on tape and we weren't ready for it. Sometimes that option offense can be really tricky, so it is hard to get used to it on the first possession." After the first drive the defense was amazing. We gave up a ton of yards in the first quarter, but not many points. The defense hunkered down at the right points yesterday which is alway encouraging.

Sean Renfree is the real deal folks. Duke's offense clicked while he was in the game in the 2nd half. I don't know what the plan is going to be for next week, but it should be an interesting week of practice...

The weekend was great up in NY and got even better this morning when I got a call from my group saying, "Your exemption really worked! You are the ONLY one from our group to get SEASON TICKETS FOR DUKE BASKETBALL!" March 6, 2010 can't come soon enough! My first ever Duke vs. Carolina game at CIS.

Congratulations on those tix!
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 13th, 2009, 9:08 am

devildeac wrote: 3. We only averaged 36+ yards/punt.
I hate punt stats because they can be misleading. If you are kicking most of your punts from the 50, or their side of the field, then the average will be shorter. So it can either mean your punter sucks, or the offense did well often enough to move the ball before stalling on their side.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 13th, 2009, 9:13 am

The game is being replayed today at 3 on CBC college sports network. I'm pretty sure we will win this time, too.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 13th, 2009, 9:39 am

7. The 2 INT were HUGE.
8. Renfree is taller.

It's true that Army had more of so many statistics. Duke's played that same game including the loss many times in the past. In the end, the most important stat is the final score. :ymapplause:

Coming from behind to win is a huge change from past behaviors. The fourth quarter domination of Army is significant. A frequent concern expressed in various venues is that two touchdowns were scored by the defense on interceptions no less.... as if this somehow tainted the scores. :-? Football games are won by good defensive play especially in the fourth quarter. Leon Wright's two interceptions and two touchdowns were a first in Duke football history. And Leon's not much taller than I am! Imagine what he could do if he were taller......... ;;)

The other points of analysis will be combed over by our coach and staff, something they are very good at. Practices this week are likely to focus on how to amp up what went well and fix what fell short.

Don't know how long other teams will tend to look past Duke on their schedule, but I hope Kansas is one of them! I do remember hearing Coach Cutcliffe say that when Renfree was sent in, the coaches didn't want to reveal everything in the arsenal....
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 13th, 2009, 10:08 am

dukediv2012 wrote:Duke played extremely well yesterday! The first quarter was kind of scary, but I think it was because the team was too hyped up. In the locker room before the game, I thought that Vinny Rey was going to murder someone (he is the scariest person on earth).

Thank you for the great insight, dukediv. And, congrats on the season tix!!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2009, 10:31 am

captmojo wrote:

7. The 2 INT were HUGE.
8. Renfree is taller.

1) Big deal. Scoreboard says 'Win for DUKE'
2) Big deal. Applications for accurate kickers should be accepted.
3) see point 2
4) Yecch! Hold the ball!
5) They (Army) got 11 penalties in their first game. They're mistake prone.
6) Offensive line needs to bone-up and make some holes. Uggh...let's call that 'running lanes'. Better, yes?
7)
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

...So happy for Leon Wright. He's been our best CB tackler since he was a freshman, and now his cover skills are catching up. To get back to back pick 6 (TD)
interceptions to seal the win is great!
I call it a 'Pick 12'. Didn't see it on Sportscenter, but it made CBS's 'Play of the Week'. Mine too.
8) Very important! Just ask a few others over yonder. They know. If you don't believe they know everything, just ask them.
9) Most vital statistic of the day! Keep it up!

Overall...this is a quite observant and a fine formula to judge the performance of the team.
Good job Mr. Moderator. Keep up the good work.
I left #9 to last 'cuz that's all that mattered ;) . We have had plenty of games over the last 10-20 years with more yards and/or TOP and still lost :( . So some encouraging notes and other not so. Once again, a significant upgrade is needed this Saturday against a bowl team from last year at their home field.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2009, 10:33 am

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the season tix! You'll be fairly close to the cheerleaders then. :roll: :)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2009, 10:37 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: 3. We only averaged 36+ yards/punt.
I hate punt stats because they can be misleading. If you are kicking most of your punts from the 50, or their side of the field, then the average will be shorter. So it can either mean your punter sucks, or the offense did well often enough to move the ball before stalling on their side.
I can think of at least 2 bad punts: one was WAY outta the end zone and another from our 25 or so to their 45. I agree in some part with you and think a "net yards" would be better, which I'd bet the special teams coach and Cut will watch/track/monitor very closely.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2009, 10:38 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:The game is being replayed today at 3 on CBC college sports network. I'm pretty sure we will win this time, too.
Will Section 21 be open, too, so we can chat again? :oops: :roll: :))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2009, 10:39 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:

7. The 2 INT were HUGE.
8. Renfree is taller.

It's true that Army had more of so many statistics. Duke's played that same game including the loss many times in the past. In the end, the most important stat is the final score. :ymapplause:

Coming from behind to win is a huge change from past behaviors. The fourth quarter domination of Army is significant. A frequent concern expressed in various venues is that two touchdowns were scored by the defense on interceptions no less.... as if this somehow tainted the scores. :-? Football games are won by good defensive play especially in the fourth quarter. Leon Wright's two interceptions and two touchdowns were a first in Duke football history. And Leon's not much taller than I am! Imagine what he could do if he were taller......... ;;)

The other points of analysis will be combed over by our coach and staff, something they are very good at. Practices this week are likely to focus on how to amp up what went well and fix what fell short.

Don't know how long other teams will tend to look past Duke on their schedule, but I hope Kansas is one of them! I do remember hearing Coach Cutcliffe say that when Renfree was sent in, the coaches didn't want to reveal everything in the arsenal....
Imagine what you could do if you were taller:

1. Be a DB
2. Be a QB
3. Be a PG
4. all of the above

;) :D